First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
How would you raise your children?
14289 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/26/13 , edited 7/27/13
If I had kids I'd raise them to the best of my ability with Noble children in mind who I would know would do the right thing at the right moment

But I could never pressure them into it, and god knows i'd take them off studies to play games with me xD

Maybe someday, heh

Maybe I'd do like my dad did (does) stay in my room all day watching tv and playing xbox

give my kid an xbox at the age of 5

Proceed to play videogames and watch anime all day while browsing the web
check in on him after years of solitude and rare check ins to see if it worked, and get to know him
How he acquired this freedom with me around I will never know

But i liked our relationship growing up, he's been more of a brother than a father to me, and i enjoy that
98 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / uk
Offline
Posted 7/27/13
BY LETTING THEM WATCH ANIME
Posted 7/28/13
better than my parents raised me . w .
6174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39
Offline
Posted 7/28/13

PhyongHwa wrote:


Mayo2111 wrote:

I would raise my daughter to be strong and independant and make sure she question's everything, regardless of who it was being questioned. Teachers, judges, policemen, everything.

All too often nowadays kids are taught to fear adults and authority figures. Just like everyone else, an adult should earn the respect of their students and those under then. It should not be assumed.


Kids should respect all adults from the beginning, THEN if the adult does something wrong they should lose respect, not the other way around.


In this way, the kid can be taken advantage of by malevolent adults before they realize that their trust is misplaced...


PhyongHwa wrote:
Just because a person does that (respects first) does not mean they are not strong or independent, it means they have manners and social savvy.


Meh.
There are multiple levels of respect, and having manners requires only the most basic level. Going that Mayo2111's seemed to equate 'fear' with respect, I doubt that's what was being referred to.


PhyongHwa wrote:
If you teach you kid in the way you mentioned, your kid would never respect you and question everything you say & do. It may sound all fine & dandy on paper, but you'd set yourself up for 18yrs of living hell if you did that.


Nobody said good parenting was easy.
1543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/28/13 , edited 7/28/13
Honestly in a world where the negligence of parents will corrupt their children and spread to other children through peer pressure, I doubt no matter how hard/strict I will be on my child they will rebel, they will get peer pressured by their friends. And if I am to lax, they will become spoiled and still get peer pressured by other children. As a son, I learned that parents can only force moral values for so long until children become independent and hopefully live by those moral values as they live their life, making mistakes and understanding what is right/wrong.
No matter how clean of an upbringing your children have, they will always find themselves faced with peer pressure, try to conform and not be a social outcast.

In conclusion, only if my future waifu wants to have one.
4955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Earth
Offline
Posted 7/28/13 , edited 8/23/13

Richybabes wrote:


PhyongHwa wrote:

Kids should respect all adults from the beginning,.


Replace 'adults' with 'people' and I'll agree with you.


Well, yeah. I only said adults instead of people, because we were talking about adults & authority figures.


KaosProphet wrote:


PhyongHwa wrote:


Mayo2111 wrote:

I would raise my daughter to be strong and independant and make sure she question's everything, regardless of who it was being questioned. Teachers, judges, policemen, everything.

All too often nowadays kids are taught to fear adults and authority figures. Just like everyone else, an adult should earn the respect of their students and those under then. It should not be assumed.


Kids should respect all adults from the beginning, THEN if the adult does something wrong they should lose respect, not the other way around.


In this way, the kid can be taken advantage of by malevolent adults before they realize that their trust is misplaced...



I never said you have to trust them. Trust & respect are two different things. I can treat a person with respect and not believe a single word they said, do anything they ask, or trust them as far as I could throw them. Respect is just good manners, it doesn't make you into a mindless order-following zombie.

Posted 7/28/13
I came here because I thought the topic was "how would you rate your children," then I realized it said "raise" and that I don't have any kids
3905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / London
Offline
Posted 7/28/13
My job is done at 11.
18313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Virginia
Offline
Posted 7/28/13
Fuck kids.
Posted 7/28/13
Like how my parents raised me, because look how amazing I turned out~
But really, I would raise them to respect others around them, and discipline them. Most kids these days are complete and utter sh*t, if I must say so myself, and mostly because their parents let them do whatever they want. I want my kids, if I have any, to understand that they don't have that kind of control over me and need to understand that not everything is accessible.
50511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/28/13

Murgurbo wrote:

In England there are two main types of children/adolescence at the moment, ones that behave, do their school work and keep their opinions to themselves and a close knit of friends where on the other hand we have ones that hang round in peer pressured groups of 7 or more who find it necessary to belittle anyone around them that are different in the slightest way.

This is based on what neighborhood they grew up in, how their parents allowed them to and such. If they were to keep them locked away in their house forced them to do work obviously it'll cause them to have better grades later on in life but it would damage their social prowess, or were they to allow their children to do what ever they want it a big risk on what attitude they would develop towards attitude whether it be positive or negative.

My question to you guys is, how would you raise you children?


take a psychology class. It is much more involved...

Essentially I would learn from my parents. I wouldn't be so lenient as mine but it is important not to be too strict.


This pretty much sums it up though for non-psychology people. This is essentially like a summary of achapter in a pyschology textbook. More if you get one in this field of study lol.
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/meyer769/myblog/2011/11/the-four-types-of-parenting-styles.html
2976 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 7/28/13
It's best for my children if I never had them in the first place.

I'd be a pretty abusive father. :l
6174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39
Offline
Posted 7/28/13

PhyongHwa wrote:


KaosProphet wrote:


PhyongHwa wrote:


Mayo2111 wrote:

I would raise my daughter to be strong and independant and make sure she question's everything, regardless of who it was being questioned. Teachers, judges, policemen, everything.

All too often nowadays kids are taught to fear adults and authority figures. Just like everyone else, an adult should earn the respect of their students and those under then. It should not be assumed.


Kids should respect all adults from the beginning, THEN if the adult does something wrong they should lose respect, not the other way around.


In this way, the kid can be taken advantage of by malevolent adults before they realize that their trust is misplaced...



I never said you have to trust them. Trust & respect are two different things. I can treat a person with respect and not believe a single word they said, do anything they ask, or trust them as far as I could throw them. Respect is just good manners,


We must be using the word differently.

I can show good manners to an individual that I have no respect for more easily than I can distrust someone that I do respect.
19689 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / No
Offline
Posted 7/28/13
I'd make sure my kids know how to use common sense and logic.
2743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / F / California
Offline
Posted 7/28/13
Like a boos
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.