First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
Post Reply Is it possible to wear off evil from Humanity?
137658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Georgia
Offline
Posted 8/6/13
Not alone we cannot, but this is how I personally feel.
43793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 8/6/13

Rowan93 wrote:
How much we empathize with an animal doesn't have quite as much to do with whether we use them for experiments as how useful it is to perform experiments on them. Chimpanzees are very similar to humans, so experiments that we might want to perform on humans but can't because that would be monstrous can sometimes be performed on chimpanzees instead.

Yeah, I suppose it does, a little. If empathy is inborn, people's ability to go to war does need some explaining, whereas it just follows easily under your hypothesis. But there is an explanation, and I think it fits the facts quite well: When you go to war, you don't lose the ability to empathise with the enemy, you and your society work to suppress and ignore it. Sometimes you succeed and commit atrocities, sometimes you fail and act like a decent person.

I don't think the idea of a "murderous instinct" being wrong would be the proof that I'm right about anything else, if that's what you're asking.


Well, I think we've reach a sort of an agreement on this point, even though it took 10 pages.






I'm not sure about what relationship you think exists between love and sexuality. Presumably, if you think love is a socially conditioned thing, you think that if a (straight or bi) boy raised by wolves met a (straight or bi) girl raised by wolves, they might bonk but would be incapable of falling in love with each other?



That's what I'm saying. I'll even go as far to say that humans are actually polygamous in nature, so if there were one straight/bi male, and two females, the male would bonk both.

If the humans retain their intellect, when there are more people in that particular zone, soon enough they will start to communicate, form ideas, create a mini-society; it could be a monogamous society or a polygamous society depending on the ideals of the leader of that particular group.


What I mean is, someone wouldn't/shouldn't be able to feel "love" if they've never been exposed to the idea before.
17839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / In an imperfect w...
Offline
Posted 8/6/13
nope
13963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Aberystwyth, Wale...
Offline
Posted 8/6/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


Rowan93 wrote:
I'm not sure about what relationship you think exists between love and sexuality. Presumably, if you think love is a socially conditioned thing, you think that if a (straight or bi) boy raised by wolves met a (straight or bi) girl raised by wolves, they might bonk but would be incapable of falling in love with each other?



That's what I'm saying. I'll even go as far to say that humans are actually polygamous in nature, so if there were one straight/bi male, and two females, the male would bonk both.

If the humans retain their intellect, when there are more people in that particular zone, soon enough they will start to communicate, form ideas, create a mini-society; it could be a monogamous society or a polygamous society depending on the ideals of the leader of that particular group.


What I mean is, someone wouldn't/shouldn't be able to feel "love" if they've never been exposed to the idea before.


Well, that sounds like absolute nonsense to me, but I can't muster the energy to argue for why it's wrong so I'll just leave it be.
23195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 8/6/13 , edited 8/6/13




If the humans retain their intellect, when there are more people in that particular zone, soon enough they will start to communicate, form ideas, create a mini-society; it could be a monogamous society or a polygamous society depending on the ideals of the leader of that particular group.


What I mean is, someone wouldn't/shouldn't be able to feel "love" if they've never been exposed to the idea before.


Sorry for butting in and I haven't read beyond that post but I wonder, how can you have an idea of something if you've never felt it before? who started this life circle of exposing these ideas? I think this is just another one of those life- unanswerable -questions. Our capabilities to think and feel is what makes us different from animals. Animals don't care who they do it with as long as they have their release. (even though I know some people like this XD ) but mankind can feel and think and like we know to distinguish between right and wrong around age 5-6 , we also can know when we're attracted to someone.

Even in native tribes, where they are not exposed to society 's ideas, they know is wrong to kill, or that they can have one person to marry with. Even if they could have multiple partners, the man will have a favorite... one of them will be above all the other girls and I know this because I read the Bible and back in those days Kings could have as many women as they wanted but there was always a queen or a favorite. Even one of them say that he discovered true love in his male best friend...his love towards him was stronger than any love he ever felt towards any other woman.

I'm just saying that we have an instinct that makes us different from animals so we can separate sexuality from love. We can feel love even if we have never been exposed to that idea before simply by our feelings, we know when we want just sex or when we want just one person. Personally, I believe we are monogamous because we are always looking for that *one* person and even if we like 2-3 at the same time, one will be above others and in the end you will go with that one.

I do agree, however, that some ideas can change our way of thinking... like there was no such thing as 'homosexuality' before. In greek it was seen as normal for a man to feel affection for another man ..Humans are very complex just like the universe... I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this so I just go by experience and from what I've read.

43793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 8/6/13

kirika202 wrote:

Sorry for butting in and I haven't read beyond that post but I wonder, how can you have an idea of something if you've never felt it before? who started this life circle of exposing these ideas? I think this is just another one of those life- unanswerable -questions. Our capabilities to think and feel is what makes us different from animals. Animals don't care who they do it with as long as they have their release. (even though I know some people like this XD ) but mankind can feel and think and like we know to distinguish between right and wrong around age 5-6 , we also can know when we're attracted to someone.

Even in native tribes, where they are not exposed to society 's ideas, they know is wrong to kill, or that they can have one person to marry with. Even if they could have multiple partners, the man will have a favorite... one of them will be above all the other girls and I know this because I read the Bible and back in those days Kings could have as many women as they wanted but there was always a queen or a favorite. Even one of them say that he discovered true love in his male best friend...his love towards him was stronger than any love he ever felt towards any other woman.

I'm just saying that we have an instinct that makes us different from animals so we can separate sexuality from love. We can feel love even if we have never been exposed to that idea before simply by our feelings, we know when we want just sex or when we want just one person. Personally, I believe we are monogamous because we are always looking for that *one* person and even if we like 2-3 at the same time, one will be above others and in the end you will go with that one.

I do agree, however, that some ideas can change our way of thinking... like there was no such thing as 'homosexuality' before. In greek it was seen as normal for a man to feel affection for another man ..Humans are very complex just like the universe... I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this so I just go by experience and from what I've read.



You can have an idea about something without feeling it before, an analogy I've used previously in this thread was the concept of mathematics. The first group of people invented maths, and the idea spread throughout the community--it's similar to the feeling of love.

People can tell the difference between right and wrong because society socially condition the idea of morality into children (as soon as they know how to speak and read and write). We're being continuously conditioned to believe, behave and think a certain way (according to the laws, cultures and customs of that particular geographical region).

Our sense of justice is not universally uniformed, it's affected by the cultures/society we grew up in.

A man having a favourite girl in his harem does not imply he is in "love" with that girl...

Homosexuality isn't an "idea", it's a sexuality... like heterosexuality and bisexuality are sexualities. Even though nature probably intended for heterosexuality to be the only sexuality (so that sexual reproduction could be successful), something happened and homosexuality/bisexuality became part of the sexuality spectrum.

Sexualities are not ideas, but natural instincts/preferences of a particular gender.


2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/6/13 , edited 8/6/13


And Omni, pan and asexuality! *crosses arms and raises an eyebrow towards Asianboy*

Also the user you're addressing presents a fallacy in his idea, in that he assumes all tribes and groups of people aren't in fact their own society. Children have a sense of right and wrong because they live within a society, even if it isn't your own. Tribes have their own unique culture and are a society. Some tribes have even expressed the acceptance of cannibalism. So the argument isn't solid.

It's simple pack mentality.
43793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 8/6/13

cpblair83 wrote:
And Omni, pan and asexuality! *crosses arms and raises an eyebrow towards Asianboy*


You forgot objectum sexuality. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_sexuality
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/6/13 , edited 8/6/13


It clearly states in this book I hold in my hand that is completely real and not at all made up, that objectum sexuality is a moral sin against the sun god Zefer! Repent!

23195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 8/6/13 , edited 8/6/13
@GayAsianBoy
I meant to say that how we view homosexuality as is an idea, we think is morally wrong because we are constantly told by society but it wasn't like that in the past, we didn't use these words to describe our sexuality.

I'd elaborate more but I gotta run to work, you also don't know if it was love what made these kings to choose one person over others. I believe their feelings were stronger..and we're back to square one, society is formed by people, we are the ones putting with these "ideas" and comparing love with mathematics is just...I don't know how can you compare feelings with logic but I'll leave it here.
43793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 8/6/13

cpblair83 wrote:



It clearly states in this book I hold in my hand that is completely real and not at all made up, that objectum sexuality is a moral sin against the sun god Zefer! Repent!



I'll do what every other kool atheists are doing; repent on my death bed.
23195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / US
Offline
Posted 8/6/13

cpblair83 wrote:



And Omni, pan and asexuality! *crosses arms and raises an eyebrow towards Asianboy*

Also the user you're addressing presents a fallacy in his idea, in that he assumes all tribes and groups of people aren't in fact their own society. Children have a sense of right and wrong because they live within a society, even if it isn't your own. Tribes have their own unique culture and are a society. Some tribes have even expressed the acceptance of cannibalism. So the argument isn't solid.

It's simple pack mentality.



That's why I said humans are very complex and there's not a right answer. When I said "society " it means "our society ", .
So, in other words, we are just like animals and nothing we know really exists...they're just ideas, love is an idea, God is an idea...society is people, so all started with the first man? my question is, who started with these ideas?? obviously they are part of us and I know I'm capable of...feeling love because it is in me and not because someone else is telling me.
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/6/13


You didn't hear the news? Agnostics are the new cool kids. +10 MORE points if you're an IGnostic. Duh! ~_~
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/6/13 , edited 8/6/13




That's why I said humans are very complex and there's not a right answer. When I said "society " it means "our society ", .
So, in other words, we are just like animals and nothing we know really exists...they're just ideas, love is an idea, God is an idea...society is people, so all started with the first man? my question is, who started with these ideas?? obviously they are part of us and I know I'm capable of...feeling love because it is in me and not because someone else is telling me.



They probably started as primal and biological imperatives, similar to what every animal experiences and then formulated into complex traditions through 10s of thousands of years. The primal and biological imperatives are tools developed by evolution to help us adapt and survive. So we don't die.

Silly goose. *pokes nose* Now gimmie that head!


43793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 8/6/13

cpblair83 wrote:



It doesn't matter because 1 atheist can beat an agnostic, an ignostic and a patheist in a physical fight.
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.