First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Next Great Battle Manga?
17512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Nashville, TN
Offline
Posted 7/31/13
Bleach is getting ready to close up shop, Naruto and is also on the train to the end, and Shonen Jump is going to be loosing two pretty huge series as far as mainstream battle manga goes.
So the question I have for everyone is, what would you like to see in the next battle manga? Obviously it still has to stay in the confines of a mainstream manga (nothing cult, in other words) but mainstream can still be expanded a little.
So what would you like to see in the next big battle manga?
Sogno- 
22986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/13
how about DragonBleaPiece
14858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Dark Continent
Offline
Posted 7/31/13
I think they should follow the Dragon Ball formula, make it shounen-y and add something new, like most of them do. We've had super-powered pirates, super-powered ninja ,super-powered reapers, super-powered gangsters, super-powered magicians, super-powered yokai... What hasn't been done? Super-powered businessmen or mailmen maybe...

Still nowadays, it seems the new Jump series are aiming for cancellation-meeting survival rather than worldwide popularity.
20100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/31/13
I'll cast my vote to One Punch man.
17512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Nashville, TN
Offline
Posted 7/31/13
I personally think something in the vein of fairy tail would be awesome. Jump hasn't really had a hardcore fantasy for a while that I can remember. I think it could work out well.

Even outside that aspect, I agree with you that most series aren't really aiming for top, their aiming for not being cancelled and that's why they keep getting canceled.

I made this thread because I'm working on a submission for the shonen jump's international competition, and I want to know at least what America would like.
17512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Nashville, TN
Offline
Posted 7/31/13
One Punch man is really good, and I like it a lot better than most of the popular series, but I personally couldn't see it becoming a staple series. That's just my opinion though.
317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
I will put my money on TerraFormars, Berserk, or Some other Generic Shōnen Anime. TerraFormars is just kick ass action and Berserk... Do I need to explain?
970 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Samsara
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
highschool dxd or fairy tail if fairy tail add's more ecchi
14858 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Dark Continent
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

DanielLWall wrote:

I made this thread because I'm working on a submission for the shonen jump's international competition, and I want to know at least what America would like.


Oh for real? That's cool man.

Not sure what would work in America though, maybe a shounen with not to much fanservice, easy translatable jokes, an alternate world (Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball, Toriko) or something that pulls away from the traditional worn-out Japanese setting (FMA, Soul Eater, Attack on Titan, Code Geass), maybe include a concept that could make it become media franchise if it's popular enough for games, toys, card games (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade).

If you're trying to make a manga, you should definitely watch Bakuman if you haven't yet. It's excellent.
6109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Miami
Offline
Posted 8/1/13 , edited 8/1/13

EXWildWolf wrote:

I will put my money on TerraFormars, Berserk, or Some other Generic Shōnen Anime. TerraFormars is just kick ass action and Berserk... Do I need to explain?


Isn't Berserk a Dark Fantasy epic? I can't see it as Battle manga.
17512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Nashville, TN
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

Kurodenki wrote:


DanielLWall wrote:

I made this thread because I'm working on a submission for the shonen jump's international competition, and I want to know at least what America would like.


Oh for real? That's cool man.

Not sure what would work in America though, maybe a shounen with not to much fanservice, easy translatable jokes, an alternate world (Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball, Toriko) or something that pulls away from the traditional worn-out Japanese setting (FMA, Soul Eater, Attack on Titan, Code Geass), maybe include a concept that could make it become media franchise if it's popular enough for games, toys, card games (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade).

If you're trying to make a manga, you should definitely watch Bakuman if you haven't yet. It's excellent.


Already waiting on volume 20 of Bakuman to come out. Read all the manga and started the anime recently. I love that series!!! XD

The one shot I have so far is actually a very high fantasy esque story that takes place in an alternate world that serves as a barrier between reality and an evil world beyond (that's the jest of it).

After reading and checking out current Shonen Jump and with knowing Bleach and Naruto are coming out, I think a hardcore fantasy will work really well as there hasn't been one in Jump for a while and it will be a great change of pace. Even if my one shot doesn't even get through I'd be fine and happy as long as Shonen Jump's new upcoming signature series is something that deviates from the usual, but still keeps the battle, story and humor quality up to par with the big boys.

The contest prize also includes getting published in Japan so I'm trying to consider both countires. Japan kind of seems to be on an undead kick right now (actually, everyone is. haha).
17512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Nashville, TN
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
I think I need to rephrase my question: what "kind" of battle manga would be strong enough to fill in the huge gaps soon to be left by two of Shonen Jump's signature series? As in what style of new manga, not one that already exists.

Fairy Tail is already pretty popular within Shonen Magazine and Japan internationally. I think my question pertains more specifically to Shonen Jump, which I should have stated before. Sorry bout that. >.<
20100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

DanielLWall wrote:

I think I need to rephrase my question: what "kind" of battle manga would be strong enough to fill in the huge gaps soon to be left by two of Shonen Jump's signature series? As in what style of new manga, not one that already exists.

Fairy Tail is already pretty popular within Shonen Magazine and Japan internationally. I think my question pertains more specifically to Shonen Jump, which I should have stated before. Sorry bout that. >.<


Best starting point is to know what your interest is, rather than to know what needs to be filled in. It's not what you decide that will get known/popular but your approach to people via manga that will...and that approach technically means your enthusiasm to show your story...hence your interest.

I can say that a true gun fights has yet achieved where the big 3 were currently at. Trigun is such a short story, Bebop is a masterpiece but again, not where Naruto or One Piece is @
17512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Nashville, TN
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

musashi453 wrote:


DanielLWall wrote:

I think I need to rephrase my question: what "kind" of battle manga would be strong enough to fill in the huge gaps soon to be left by two of Shonen Jump's signature series? As in what style of new manga, not one that already exists.

Fairy Tail is already pretty popular within Shonen Magazine and Japan internationally. I think my question pertains more specifically to Shonen Jump, which I should have stated before. Sorry bout that. >.<


Best starting point is to know what your interest is, rather than to know what needs to be filled in. It's not what you decide that will get known/popular but your approach to people via manga that will...and that approach technically means your enthusiasm to show your story...hence your interest.

I can say that a true gun fights has yet achieved where the big 3 were currently at. Trigun is such a short story, Bebop is a masterpiece but again, not where Naruto or One Piece is @


Well my specialty or more so what I enjoy is fantasy and creating intriguing worlds that don't exactly function the same way reality does. While a lot of shonen jumps' works are technically fantasy, no one's really taken the fairy tail approach and done a story with dragons and oges and goblins and evil lords and etc. The story I'm working on is set in that kind of world, but the main character himself doesn't have any powers of his own (unlike many jump protagonists), but he has a relationship with a dragon that gives him her power when he needs it in exchange for being free to see the world.
I'm not as much worried about what needs filling in as much as I'm confident that my work can fill the gap. At least that is my hope. Even if I win the competition though I'll still probably have to take a hiatus from drawing just so that I can get everything situated to go to Japan and to get fluent in Japanese.
16252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My house...
Offline
Posted 8/2/13

Sogno- wrote:

how about DragonBleaPiece


rofl Gintama XD
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.