First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply When you see a policeman.....
11535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
I got ran over by a hit-n-run car. I decided not to go to a hospital or take an ambulance.
I told an officer to just take me home, since I couldn't.
I rode at the back of the police car. I kept it cool while doing it.
I pretended that I was in trouble with the law and be seen by my neighbors.

Instant "street cred."
27559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

cpblair83 wrote:

But the one thing that all police officers are suspicious of is when someone bolts merely at the sight of them. When someone begins to act nervous merely at the sight of them. It's simple psychology, folks. If you don't want to have an issue with the police, do not act guilty. If you are not guilty of anything, you have nothing to worry about. Most places are not like the youtube videos you see online. Most cops are NOT looking to plant evidence on you and most cops are not trying to simply "fill" a quota. That would be traffic violations, if you're involved in a traffic violation, good luck to ya and even then it's at the cop's discretion.


I have also heard some officers around here, where we have a lot of drug and human trafficking, say that trying to act too "normal" or inconspicuous can be another red flag. One mentioned that driving exactly the speed limit with cruise control will draw attention to a person as well.
22704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / SoCal, HB
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
I get nervous, specially when driving, I don't wanna get a ticket

Never got a ticket before but I still get nervous
Phersu 
34747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Existence.
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
Eh, I don't really do anything. I wonder what they're doing if I see them rush by with siren's blaring in traffic, and if I see some walking on the street while I work I'll maybe wave or say hi. That's about it.
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13 , edited 8/1/13

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


cpblair83 wrote:

But the one thing that all police officers are suspicious of is when someone bolts merely at the sight of them. When someone begins to act nervous merely at the sight of them. It's simple psychology, folks. If you don't want to have an issue with the police, do not act guilty. If you are not guilty of anything, you have nothing to worry about. Most places are not like the youtube videos you see online. Most cops are NOT looking to plant evidence on you and most cops are not trying to simply "fill" a quota. That would be traffic violations, if you're involved in a traffic violation, good luck to ya and even then it's at the cop's discretion.


I have also heard some officers around here, where we have a lot of drug and human trafficking, say that trying to act too "normal" or inconspicuous can be another red flag. One mentioned that driving exactly the speed limit with cruise control will draw attention to a person as well.


I would agree with that to an extend. If you try to act "overly" normal. It's pretty obvious. It's really just best to approach ANY person, police officer or not, with respect and simply being yourself. Fear only causes one to act in a way that doesn't fit their own personality or normality. And ultimately, it's easy to notice when someone is acting uncomfortable, whether because they are afraid/hostile or afraid/introverted; if that makes any sense.

But regardless, a police officer doesn't really have much control over you or at least not as much as people think. If you aren't breaking the law and there is no reasonable suspicion, then he can't even apprehend you. You can blatantly smile and walk away waving as he's saying, "Hey! Wait a minute!". The badge isn't authority to detain you for suspicious alone, they need to have reasonable suspicion or just cause. And use of force is an even bigger thing amongst police training. IF you ever find yourself in an intense police situation puts your hands immediately up and don't move. Don't talk with your hands, don't fiddle in your pockets, etc, etc. This is how police officers are able to "justify" improper use of force, or at least the bad ones.

Reasonable suspicion is something that's taught very big in police academy because it can be the difference between letting a criminal walk or sentencing him appropriately. Cop shows (like the shield), where they're like, "I heard someone scream!". Yah, that doesn't cut it. Any defense attorney can destroy a genuinely bonus reasonable suspicion claim.

And btw, to the other person who was pulled over and asked to search his vehicle because of trafficking. That wasn't legal, not until you gave him permission unless you were speeding or otherwise breaking the law, he had no right to search your vehicle. Again, officers have no right to search your persons, your vehicle, your property, etc, unless he has reasonable suspicion to do so and there are very strict guidelines as to what constitutes reasonable.

I'd also be curious to learn the details of your cuffing and arrest considering both claims sound like the police officer intimidated you or you're missing a part of the story. Agitation is something officers are trained to deal with, unless a person is violently aggression of harmfully aggressive, there is no real recourse to just cuff someone and throw them in your car. A person is allowed to be upset, just not a danger to themselves or the officers.
31045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Finland- The Cave...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
I raise my hand and greet them, even passing cars. Where I live we respect police quite a bit.
44692 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / So Cal
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

cpblair83 wrote:



I would agree with that to an extend. If you try to act "overly" normal. It's pretty obvious. It's really just best to approach ANY person, police officer or not, with respect and simply being yourself. Fear only causes one to act in a way that doesn't fit their own personality or normality. And ultimately, it's easy to notice when someone is acting uncomfortable, whether because they are afraid/hostile or afraid/introverted; if that makes any sense.

But regardless, a police officer doesn't really have much control over you or at least not as much as people think. If you aren't breaking the law and there is no reasonable suspicion, then he can't even apprehend you. You can blatantly smile and walk away waving as he's saying, "Hey! Wait a minute!". The badge isn't authority to detain you for suspicious alone, they need to have reasonable suspicion or just cause. And use of force is an even bigger thing amongst police training. IF you ever find yourself in an intense police situation puts your hands immediately up and don't move. Don't talk with your hands, don't fiddle in your pockets, etc, etc. This is how police officers are able to "justify" improper use of force, or at least the bad ones.

Reasonable suspicion is something that's taught very big in police academy because it can be the difference between letting a criminal walk or sentencing him appropriately. Cop shows (like the shield), where they're like, "I heard someone scream!". Yah, that doesn't cut it. Any defense attorney can destroy a genuinely bonus reasonable suspicion claim.


So, don't act normal and don't act abnormal... gotta love dealing with the police.
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13


I know, it sounds silly; but these are just tips to dealing with the BAD police officers. A lot of the officers that I served with, as well as myself, didn't behave like this and didn't abuse or twist any authority we had. There are bad people in every profession but it's very important to research your rights when it comes to interactions with the police because just like a police officer doesn't know the content of the character he's dealing with, you don't know the content of the police officer's character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

27559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

BearSol wrote:




So, don't act normal and don't act abnormal... gotta love dealing with the police.

Nah, it is just be naturally normal. Nothing forced.
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13 , edited 8/1/13
Honestly, I'm responding to this thread and sharing this information because I want citizens to know their rights and the power they have within their interactions with the police. And also to show you that there are genuinely decent police officers who simply want to serve.

<edit> btw, this is within the US. I can't help the folks in other countries, sorry.
11535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

cpblair83 wrote:

Honestly, I'm responding to this thread and sharing this information because I want citizens to know their rights and the power they have within their interactions with the police. And also to show you that there are genuinely decent police officers who simply want to serve.


They have sense of humor too, right? Right?



2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13 , edited 8/1/13


Well, I do but I wouldn't make that assumption for every police officer. ;p
27559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

cpblair83 wrote:

Honestly, I'm responding to this thread and sharing this information because I want citizens to know their rights and the power they have within their interactions with the police. And also to show you that there are genuinely decent police officers who simply want to serve.


I agree that people need to know their rights about it I just really hope they don't abuse the rights and be assholes to cops just for laughs. I've seen quite a few videos of people being absolutely ridiculous and complete jackasses to police officers just because they can and think it's hilarious. If the cop is being an ass it's one thing but many of them the cops are just trying to do their job and are being pretty nice. I find it just as annoying to see as a cop overstepping their authority.
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13 , edited 8/1/13
ID and Identifying yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_ANiGk4Sc

Pretty good overview of 10 general rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nQ_mFJV4I
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


cpblair83 wrote:

Honestly, I'm responding to this thread and sharing this information because I want citizens to know their rights and the power they have within their interactions with the police. And also to show you that there are genuinely decent police officers who simply want to serve.


I agree that people need to know their rights about it I just really hope they don't abuse the rights and be assholes to cops just for laughs. I've seen quite a few videos of people being absolutely ridiculous and complete jackasses to police officers just because they can and think it's hilarious. If the cop is being an ass it's one thing but many of them the cops are just trying to do their job and are being pretty nice. I find it just as annoying to see as a cop overstepping their authority.


I don't disagree, but cops are trained and should be trained properly in dealing with people. There are also safeguards in place and if someone is under reasonable suspicion, they can be detained and investigated.

But generally, I would prefer every citizen know their rights and cops be required to utilize their training instead of performing their duties under the guise of authority or intimidation, even if it is only a perception of the profession in general.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.