First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply legit or not (Does anyone check the source?)
47512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 8/1/13 , edited 8/1/13

agila61 wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote: Did my post inspire you to write this thread?

I'll tell you something, even in real life, people don't read the sources. I wrote a 3000 word scientific paper with like 20 references... the lecturer doesn't have the time to check through all 20 references from 1000's of students.

In any big class, it will be limited to spot checks and entirely up to the grader's sense of professional dedication. It is, however, not safe to assume that "past performance is a guarantee of future results", since at big research universities, the graders are often graduate student teaching assistants, and so the same professor can have wildly different chances of sources being checked, from one year to the next.

However, even if you have the bad luck to have a grader who actually cares, copy and paste plagiarism is a lot more commonly checked than source faking. Even if you are not at one of those schools that has papers posted electronically through a plagiarism ... when we read a paper that has clear shifts in writing style and tone of voice, its real easy to just type a sentence into Google with quotes around the whole thing, and 90% of the time copy and paste plagiarism will pop right up.

The real risk with source faking is that you say something that would actually be handy for the grader's own research, and so they try to look up the source for their own purposes. The risk is not high, though ... probably similar to the risk of being hit by lightning.




I don't know about other countries, but when I was doing my Bachelor degree (2007-2010), there was already a system in place that all science students must submit an electronic copy through the plagiarism software, otherwise you get an automatic 0.

By the time I did my Masters, there's an even more advanced software (that contain every scientific articles on the planet) that tells you whether your essay was at an acceptable level of paraphrasing or not, if you put too many similar paragraphs from the original source, they will give you a warning.



I don't advocate for source faking, but the thread OP is trying to say that only people on the internet do this (because presumably he saw me referencing a scientific paper and probably assume I'm one of those internet persons who source fake things to back up my points).

My point was, even students in universities in real life do this. It's not just people on the internet. People like to bad name the internet simply because it's the internet.
728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

agila61 wrote:

"The problem with posting quotes off the Internet is you never know if they're genuine."

Gen. George Washington at the Battle of Gettysburg, February 30, 1908.


I lol'd.

I have to plead guilty to this. When some news story or info tidbit comes up in my social channels, I admit that maybe half the time, I don't bother checking for sources. If I find the story interesting enough, I'll do the research, but more often than not I just go "eh" and move on without caring whether what I just read was true.

As for quotations, specifically, I quite frankly don't care who said what. It would be nice to know whether George Washington really was reflecting about Internet quotes during Gettysburg, but I'm of the opinion that what's really important is what was said, not who said it. Was George Washington really at Gettysburg? Did the battle really take place in 1908? Did he really know what the Internet was? I might not know the answer to any of those, but the fact of the matter is that the words themselves are true.


"The problem with posting quotes off the Internet is you never know if they're genuine."


Even if this quote were misattributed, I would still believe it because I know the evidence that it's true.


"The great thing about posting quotes off the Internet is that you always know they are genuine."


If someone said this, however--George Washington or not--I would automatically call bullshit.
970 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Samsara
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
always unless im looking up conspiracy theories
12108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Chicago
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
Google, get's ya every time.
26630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13


Lol, I know that this picture is combining Star Trek, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but does the Harry in it refer to Harry Dresden in the Dresden Files, or to a different Harry?
Queen Moderator
32823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / X / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 8/1/13 , edited 8/1/13


Harry Potter.
26630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

MikiSayaka wrote:



Harry Potter.


Ohhhh, that Harry! XD *Facepalms.* Whenever I see Harry in a reference thing like that, I automatically think of Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files books.
Sogno- 
25270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
yes

and then no

but sometimes yes
7038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Texas
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
Not only am I a writer and editor, but I am also a little OC. In college, I got into the habit of source checking everything. When we turned in papers, we also had to provide a source page. I'm not a journalist so I'm not extremely hardcore about it. The thing that bothers me is that so many feel it's perfectly fine to misquote, skew peoples words, and, in some cases, make up facts just to try to win their argument. Sorry, but I don't let that slide. I cannot tell you how many times I've pissed people off because I've asked for their source material. They absolutely hate it. They say stuff like "why should I have to prove anything to you?" Well, if you're going to try and present an argument on any topic, usually knowing about said topic and speaking the truth of it is essential. Otherwise, you're just spouting nonsense and should have never said anything.

People often use Google as a source, but you have to go deeper. In college, you're allowed to use the internet as a source, but it usually cannot be something like a blog unless the writer is known in their field for their expertise. Why? Anyone can blog about anything and say it's true. Doesn't always mean it's correct. I got into the habit of checking EBSCO (A scholarly reference source) for all my fact checking and I have to say that is probably the best place to go. If you don't have access through your school, some stuff you find on Google might be alright. Just make sure they have their sources in order as well. Wikipedia is kind of alright. The problem there is anyone can get into Wikipedia and rewrite an article to support their argument. Wiki is getting better at stopping people from doing that though so don't try it. If you can't use Wiki as the direct source, check the sources Wiki references. They are often solid and dependable.

Nothing annoys me more than someone taking someone else's quote and passing it off as their own. Being a writer, I absolutely despise plagiarism. I know smaller quotes are often used in such a way. After all, there are only so many combinations of words you can use in a sentence.

The only thing I can really say about it all is do your homework. Study the topics you are passionate about so you don't look like a jackass when you speak about them. Kind of like how everyone and their mother had something to say about the Zimmerman trial. Suddenly, everyone is an expert about what happened and they were all there that night. Yeah right. Most of those arguments were laughable at best.
22624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
I am almost certain that Aristotle said no such thing.
68868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

minatothegreatjiraiya wrote: I am almost certain that Aristotle said no such thing.

I'm confident that Aristotle never actually said anything I've ever quoted him as saying, since he spoke classic Greek and I only write in English. I've even lost the Spanish that I once had, little as it was.
Kill la Moderator
AHTL 
77708 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Norway
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
Everything on the internet is true.

To doubt the Internet, is to doubt Life itself.

- George Carlin
578 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Somewhere
Offline
Posted 8/1/13
I almost always check the source. If anything bothers me, its that people don't check their sources often, lol. With all that money spent on buying expensive ass tablets or smartphones or notebooks, you would think they'd use the applications provided to gain info more easily. And if I'm not able to check at that moment if something is true, I at least remain skeptical. Particularly if its about death, haha. Or if something does not sound like a certain person I know would do. xD
2393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / In Rainbows
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

Did my post inspire you to write this thread?


I'll tell you something, even in real life, people don't read the sources. I wrote a 3000 word scientific paper with like 20 references... the lecturer doesn't have the time to check through all 20 references from 1000's of students.


what?
26739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 8/1/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:
I'll tell you something, even in real life, people don't read the sources. I wrote a 3000 word scientific paper with like 20 references... the lecturer doesn't have the time to check through all 20 references from 1000's of students.

I'm also surprised by this, but for different reasons. I don't think I could write 1000 words with only 20 references. Everything I use in my writing needs to be cited properly, and with original research, not just review articles.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.