First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
The Reason Why i'm Dropping One piece...
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/2/13

drakedogma wrote:

I personally don't think One Piece is a very typical shonen manga. I think Eiichrio Oda does his very best to avoid stupid cliches, even though the 9 members are fun to watch, they never over-emphasize how "One great big family" they are like they do to death in Fairy Tail. Another anti-cliche that one piece has is Nami, most anime and manga try pathetically and desperately hard to make their female characters into pure little angels, where as One Piece always focuses on how greedy, angry, and selfish Nami is, which makes her one of my favorite females in anime. Personally, the best scene in the entire show is Luffy Vs Ussop, I emplore you watch that episode where they yell at eachother over Merry. Another anti-cliche is Oda's harsh stance on romance pandering, which I admire alot, most of the time I see in Naruto, Bleach, or Fairy Tail videos is idiotic stuff like "NALU 4EVER! YOLO!" Or "SAKURA SUCKS, HINAXNARU 4EVER YOLO! SWAG!" Pointless romance just takes away from the story. I think luffy is a very funny and great main character. Main characters for shonen anime tend to be very safe and boring characters, Naruto's personal problems don't interest me much, Ichigo is just a cut out, and god I wish I could chop Natsu's head off. Despite Luffy not having much room for character development, at the very least, he's fun to watch since One Piece isn't aiming for high art. Water 7 is usually seen as the very best arc which is after the skypeia and davy back arc. Comedy and character chemistry is where One Piece accels in terms of likability.


i totally agree with nami's character and i like it so much because it adds a more realistic feel to the show like not all the protagonists have lofty ideals and believes but one piece ruins with all the kiddish scenes like zoro slashing fodder and they all get knocked out without any gashes or blood and this happens way too many times it just feels like im watching a show for 5 year olds like really?
386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/2/13 , edited 8/2/13

badisglaid wrote:

well i think that invested so much time in this series that can't easily drop it because iv grown to like the characters and the atmosphere and i would hate for all this potential to go to waste so i get really frustrated when stupid/boring things occur in one piece.


I'm as you man i can't get OP dropped because i invested so much time and well the show sux a lot and a keep watching trying to understand why people like this...But you are at Thriller Bark and want to drop?LOL!
Past this arc became cool. And now its not a lie !!

Something true its OP start to Thriller Bark, its "local", mugiwara's born and making the crew. So after this became "global" now they are bigs and they deal with the kings of sea. And become more enjoyable.
1541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 8/2/13


#Realtalk
2399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/2/13
If you've only watched the anime, I suggest trying out the manga since the anime drags sometimes.
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 8/2/13

KingOfHeroess wrote:

Dislikes One Piece because of supposed bullshit moments during fights

Has an avi of Attack On Titan where the main character gets eaten and somehow turns into a titan because of his "will to survive"



A big ******* K for you sir


He doesn't turn into a titan because of his will to survive. If you actually watched the episodes you would see clearly that he got some sort of injection from his father.
21984 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 8/2/13
One Piece is the only anime where the first 30 or so episodes are completely unwatchable. I almost made it through the alabasta arc only because people kept telling me to stick with it and it would get better. I really wanted to like it because the huge number of episodes would keep me busy for a long while. The strange thing is I like a lot of the same anime as my friends who are One Piece fans. Honestly, how many hundreds of episodes do you need to watch before it gets good? Someone please give me an episode # and I will try it again, I really want to solve this mystery.
50337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Whole Cake Island
Offline
Posted 8/2/13
No one really cares if you drop it. I'll just keep on enjoying my One Piece from the genius Eiichiro gOda.
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/2/13

viva_cmpunker wrote:

No one really cares if you drop it. I'll just keep on enjoying my One Piece from the genius Eiichiro gOda.


riiiiiight so you see the reason for this thread is not for anyone to show sympathy or care for the fact that i'm dropping this series, it's made so staunch one piece defenders such as yourself can express themselves and state what exactly do they like in one piece and whether it's worth or not which you completely failed to accomplish, so thanks for your ignorance.
2308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/2/13

heathk wrote:

One Piece is the only anime where the first 30 or so episodes are completely unwatchable. I almost made it through the alabasta arc only because people kept telling me to stick with it and it would get better. I really wanted to like it because the huge number of episodes would keep me busy for a long while. The strange thing is I like a lot of the same anime as my friends who are One Piece fans. Honestly, how many hundreds of episodes do you need to watch before it gets good? Someone please give me an episode # and I will try it again, I really want to solve this mystery.


true i never had this ordeal watching naruto or bleach. well with bleach it was a little slow the first 17 episode but then it picked up like crazy (fillers aside)
Posted 8/2/13 , edited 8/2/13
I know about the flaws of One Piece, it's as you say in the original post and they annoy me.


But at the same time, I can enjoy it because it's told in like a fairy tale sort of narrative, there are a lot of references to Japanese folktales (thunder god, orihime underwater palace) and other countries' literature (e.g. Amazon women, Medusa) and the Bible literature (e.g. that guy living in the whale).

So the world of One Piece is enjoyable for me. I can relate to some of the characters like Robin, the most, she's a scientist like me. I like that she's interested in finding out the truth about the world and Hawkeye Mihawk, a lone swordsman.
Don't really care for other characters, really.

Luffy's dad also interests me, but... as of all 500+ episodes, he's made like 2 or 3 appearances only. And not much is focused on him right now.
mipegg 
25478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/2/13
It suffers from shonen syndrome, ie, going everywhere but getting nowhere.
609 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 8/2/13
I read your entire post. I'm facing the same problem. My cousin is really into OP and he tells me that I should just read the manga cause the anime sucks. I enjoy reading mangas but 700+ chapters is way too much of my life.
Any way I sort of dropped OP, I stopped watching it online and resorted to watching it on Toonami once a week. Personally I feel that OP is complete trash when compared HxH, which has a much better storyline and better arcs. I feel that any thing that needs so many episodes to complete a story is obviously based on quantity not quality. Again that's my opinion but I don't understand how OP has the popularity it has
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / New York
Offline
Posted 8/2/13
I liked it sorta, at first, but the artwork creeped me out. I don't like the dick-nose guy, I don't like the giant-head monster people, I really don't like the giant head lingerie wearing pirate, or all the weird animal people either. The artwork makes me think of that book by Maurice Sendak, Where The Wild Things Are. Possibly the creepiest book I remember from my childhood. Even Grimms' Fairy Tales weren't as disturbing and they had children being eaten alive in it and detailed pictures of hag witches with giant warts.
29112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/2/13
I thought the Alabasta arc was great. Crocodile is a boss. Anyway, One Piece is pretty damn awesome. However, if it isn't for you, you should really just drop it. The series is very long and not going to end any time soon. If you are not invested with the characters or the more loose adventure feel yet, you never will get used to it. Personally, once I got to Arlong, I fell in love with One Piece and it only got better for me from there. Alabasta, Enies Lobby, Thriller Bark, Sabaody, Impel Down, Marine Ford. All of that stuff is excellent to me. Great characterizations, great moments in general. Yeah, Skypeia and Fishman Island drag on a bit, but it never hurts the quality because the scenarios are pretty well handled (for the most part.)
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 8/2/13

heathk wrote:

Someone please give me an episode # and I will try it again, I really want to solve this mystery.


Most OP fans would agree that Arabasta arc is where the epic starts.
It's around episode 90.





badisglaid wrote:

riiiiiight so you see the reason for this thread is not for anyone to show sympathy or care for the fact that i'm dropping this series, it's made so staunch one piece defenders such as yourself can express themselves and state what exactly do they like in one piece and whether it's worth or not which you completely failed to accomplish, so thanks for your ignorance.


Viva has stated that he would rather enjoy Goda's work than your dumb rants.
I agree with him since you and your fodder fetish don't really criticize the show's
important factors at all.


vivi was a boring and un interesting character that i never cared about, the whole thing with crocodile and his plans took years to unravel, borroque works agents where hideously designed that i couldn't even come close to liking them,


Subjective. BIASED opinion.
Come back later when you have a have an actual argument
worth discussing about.




badisglaid wrote:

true i never had this ordeal watching naruto or bleach. well with bleach it was a little slow the first 17 episode but then it picked up like crazy (fillers aside)


Except Bleach detergent was only good for about 60 episodes
and One Piece for 500+.

I'd prefer an anime with a bad start BUT consistently delivers until now
than an anime with a good start BUT free-falls like a rock quality-wise.


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.