First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
What if anime were dubbed by British voice actors?
19794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 8/3/13

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

I apologize for the things I said. You're right. Sorry, I meant to say American slang not American dialect. Yeah but those Japanese references would actually be good for the viewers since that way, they could learn a little more about the culture. I just hate when they try to Americanize things.


American slang is part of English, it has every right to be in an English dub. Japanese slang, puns, colloquialisms, ect. are in Japanese dubs. English slang, puns, colloquialisms, ect. will be in English dubs. This is a very simple concept. Localization is not a straight translation, call it "Americanization" if you want, America isn't the only place to do it.
Anime isn't a Japanese history lesson, if the little tid bits don't matter (such as a reference to some old Japanese drama), there is no reason to keep it. If it makes more sense to change something, they'll change it. That's what dubbing is about.


Yeah, I guess the talent there are alright for what they're going for. They're not "all that" though. Compared to the talent in places like LA or Vancouver, the talent in Texas aren't that amazing. They can not compare to the big leagues in LA and Vancouver. Plus, those guys are not as corrupted as Funimation is. But I digress, you are right that I do have a personal vendetta against Texas.


Texan actors are just fine, some of them are outstanding and some aren't and that goes for every area. You admitted to having a personal bias against Texas and FUNi, so to be frank I have a hard time caring about any negative thing you have to say. You'll never change your mind, so who am I to waste my time. Well, I guess I do have one more thing to say...


Plus, why is it that they are pretty much the only ones doing this. Everyone else are doing a pretty straight translation of the original scripts. Why can't they?

I have a hard time believing you've seen many recent dubs. I point you to most any Sentai dub and dare you to say everyone else is doing a straight translation. I assure you, they aren't. And the ones who do literal translations? Are bad. Because that isn't dubbing, it's incredibly unprofessional and lazy.
FUNi isn't some stuck up company who thinks they own anything, they're honestly quite laid back. They reach out to as many people as they possibly can and want people to have fun and enjoy their works. There's nothing wrong with this, if you think there is just import your anime. It's a better use of energy than whining about how ~evil~ Texas is.
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 8/3/13

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

Appeal to westerners? It's not like these shows get aired on TV. The majority of the people who even buy the DVDs/ Bluray are anime fans so they should appeal to them. Plus, why is it that they are pretty much the only ones doing this. Everyone else are doing a pretty straight translation of the original scripts. Why can't they? Also, Funimation seems to have the mindset that they completely own the shows. They only licensed them. They are not the ones who made it. So they should stop acting like they did. They really need to get off their high horse.


it doesnt matter if they get aired thats still who they are trying to sell them too not just already fans who alot of think dubs are the spawn of satan any way and funimation has the right to do what they do otherwise they wouldnt be doing it i didnt think people really thought funimations dubs where so god awful i personally think they are pretty good
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 8/3/13 , edited 8/3/13

EspeoangeTieler wrote:


PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

Appeal to westerners? It's not like these shows get aired on TV. The majority of the people who even buy the DVDs/ Bluray are anime fans so they should appeal to them. Plus, why is it that they are pretty much the only ones doing this. Everyone else are doing a pretty straight translation of the original scripts. Why can't they? Also, Funimation seems to have the mindset that they completely own the shows. They only licensed them. They are not the ones who made it. So they should stop acting like they did. They really need to get off their high horse.


it doesnt matter if they get aired thats still who they are trying to sell them too not just already fans who alot of think dubs are the spawn of satan any way and funimation has the right to do what they do otherwise they wouldnt be doing it i didnt think people really thought funimations dubs where so god awful i personally think they are pretty good


Funimation actually has a TV Channel by the way...

Adding more to the discussion - I'm pretty sure they don't have the mindset of "all your base belong to us", in the sense that once they've licensed something they act like they own every nook and cranny. Depending on the company they get the license from, they aren't allowed to release it in Blu-Ray, or with many extras. It all depends. A straight translation also wouldn't work - no matter what dub company is doing the script, it's not going to be a pure translation. Going from a language like Japanese to English doesn't easily flow well and they have to compensate for that. So that the script makes sense. Like others have said, Funimation has to right do what they please with their dubs as they are their dubs, you know? If localizing the original script to make it easier for a Western audience to understand is their thing - let them do it. It's not hurting anyone - well maybe except for purists and the like. As I have said, it's also not just Funimation that does that. If you don't like their dubs - I know Animax produces their own dubs for shows and has English language networks in a multitude of different countries around the world - such as South America, Australia, South Africa, and South Asia. Here's a list I found of some of their voice actors/actresses and the roles they've been in.

http://animeanimaxdub.blogspot.com/2011/05/animax-voice-actorsartists-animax.html
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 8/3/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:


PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

Appeal to westerners? It's not like these shows get aired on TV. The majority of the people who even buy the DVDs/ Bluray are anime fans so they should appeal to them. Plus, why is it that they are pretty much the only ones doing this. Everyone else are doing a pretty straight translation of the original scripts. Why can't they? Also, Funimation seems to have the mindset that they completely own the shows. They only licensed them. They are not the ones who made it. So they should stop acting like they did. They really need to get off their high horse.


it doesnt matter if they get aired thats still who they are trying to sell them too not just already fans who alot of think dubs are the spawn of satan any way and funimation has the right to do what they do otherwise they wouldnt be doing it i didnt think people really thought funimations dubs where so god awful i personally think they are pretty good


Funimation actually has a TV Channel by the way...

what the shit how do i get this?
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 8/3/13 , edited 8/3/13

EspeoangeTieler wrote:

what the shit how do i get this?


You have to subscribe to the channel. It works like Neon Alley's service in that it's on a time block schedule. As in, you should look in advance when a specific episode of a specific show is airing and make sure to record/catch it at the appropriate time it's airing. Here's their show grid for the channel:

http://www.funimation.tv/shows-grid.php

I have most of these shows on DVD/Blu-Ray so getting the channel wouldn't be a good investment for me, but someone else can certainly try it out. I find it a shame that NeonAlley is only on consoles at the moment - I wanted to watch Fate/Zero dubbed but don't have a console anymore and don't plan on buying another anytime soon.
15294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/3/13
then I would probably watch dubbed anime.
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 8/3/13

Shrapnel893 wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

what the shit how do i get this?


You have to subscribe to the channel. It works like Neon Alley's service in that it's on a time block schedule. As in, you should look in advance when a specific episode of a specific show is airing and make sure to record/catch it at the appropriate time it's airing. Here's their show grid for the channel:

http://www.funimation.tv/shows-grid.php

I have most of these shows on DVD/Blu-Ray so getting the channel wouldn't be a good investment for me, but someone else can certainly try it out. I find it a shame that NeonAlley is only on consoles at the moment - I wanted to watch Fate/Zero dubbed but don't have a console anymore and don't plan on buying another anytime soon.


oh thought u meant on actual tv
Sogno- 
45625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/3/13
i don't care what nationally the dubbed actors are i just want it to be GOOD, as making dialogue actually have FEELING and MOVEMENT and not being so bland and dull

/has a grudge against dubbed T_T
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 8/3/13 , edited 8/3/13
^ Think of better reasons than those. I know you can do better than those lame complaints.


EspeoangeTieler wrote:


Shrapnel893 wrote:


EspeoangeTieler wrote:

what the shit how do i get this?


You have to subscribe to the channel. It works like Neon Alley's service in that it's on a time block schedule. As in, you should look in advance when a specific episode of a specific show is airing and make sure to record/catch it at the appropriate time it's airing. Here's their show grid for the channel:

http://www.funimation.tv/shows-grid.php

I have most of these shows on DVD/Blu-Ray so getting the channel wouldn't be a good investment for me, but someone else can certainly try it out. I find it a shame that NeonAlley is only on consoles at the moment - I wanted to watch Fate/Zero dubbed but don't have a console anymore and don't plan on buying another anytime soon.


oh thought u meant on actual tv


No, it is on actual TV. I was just using NeonAlley as an example of how they set it up. You can't just browse through the shows, you have to watch what's currently airing at that minute or wait for what you want to watch. I also think they have it on consoles, but I'm not sure on that. It definitely is on TV broadcast though, it's just a channel you can't normally get for free or in a package deal. Hence, you have to subscribe to have access to that channel to be able to watch whatever airs on it. I guess as a better example - think of it as Toonami with more shows but no Tom.
5228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/4/13
Well, I'm not one of those guys. I don't hate dubs. I actually like them, but when they're done right. I just don't think Funimation has a strong enogh voice cast that is suitable for an anime that requires so much effort to be put into it. I mean, the people at Funimation are probably nice people. But I just don't think they can do it. Now, it might not be the voice actors' fault. It could be the voice director's fault. But if not, they have to learn to improve. You see, there are two most important things in voice acting. One is the voice and two is the acting. With Funimation, it tends to accomplish only one of those. Again, it might not be their fault and it could just be the voice director's fault. There are actually some great VAs in Funimation. But they tend to be used in a lot of dubs. I guess it's because they're apparently Funimation's top talent. But I feel that they should just leave Texas and go for more mainstream work in LA or Vancouver, "the big leagues". That's what Todd Haberkorn did when he moved from Texas to LA. It's better for them because they'll be able to get more work and voice in things other than anime.

I had heard that they had licensed Attack on Titan. I was dissapointed. I had hoped that someone from LA or Vancouver would have gotten it. They will probably put out a decent dub, which is very likely to happen. But I don't want a decent dub. Not for Attack on Titan. This show deserves an amazing dub, not a decent one. It want it to have a dub of LA or of Vancouver quality. Not the decent Funimation quality. It just wouldn't be up to standards with this show.

Also, I forgot to mention that in the English dub of Negima, Greg Ayres gave Negi a English accent. Negi shouldn't have an English accent sinceNegi was raised in Wales since he was 4. So, Negi should have a Welsh accent, not an English one.
19794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 8/4/13 , edited 8/4/13

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:

There are actually some great VAs in Funimation. But they tend to be used in a lot of dubs. I guess it's because they're apparently Funimation's top talent. But I feel that they should just leave Texas and go for more mainstream work in LA or Vancouver, "the big leagues". That's what Todd Haberkorn did when he moved from Texas to LA. It's better for them because they'll be able to get more work and voice in things other than anime.

They get reused because it's safer to reuse talent than risk using new talent. Voice Acting, anime licensing in general, is not a stable job. I'm glad FUNi is as well off as they are, and I'm glad the talent they have are stable enough to stay with them. If the actors are happy with their work, than why move away? Because they can get better roles? But they already do. Plenty of FUNi VA's have been in more than just a FUNi dub, and still continue work with FUNi. You act like LA is some God send for actors, which isn't completely untrue, however if someone's happy with their work, no matter where they are, they should stay their.
Just as a side point, too, if you think any voice actor gets by on just anime you are sadly mistaken. Voice actors do a variety of things, anime dubbing doesn't cut it when it comes to income.



I had heard that they had licensed Attack on Titan. I was dissapointed. I had hoped that someone from LA or Vancouver would have gotten it. They will probably put out a decent dub, which is very likely to happen. But I don't want a decent dub. Not for Attack on Titan. This show deserves an amazing dub, not a decent one. It want it to have a dub of LA or of Vancouver quality. Not the decent Funimation quality. It just wouldn't be up to standards with this show.


Honestly, I was ecstatic to hear FUNi snagged Titan, because FUNi is the only company I trust to do a good dub. Every other company has been extremely hit or miss, and that wasn't something I wanted to risk. Though, considering our obviously different opinions on FUNi, I suppose I understand your disappointment. But hey! Good news is, even if it got a crappy dub, there's always the subs for you.
At this point, I'm assuming you're just going to repeat yourself on how much FUNi sucks, so I'm going to go ahead and quit these long responses now.
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 1/29/14
Ugh. American actors are bad enough. I don't need bad acting done in an accent. I'll just stick with subs. I wouldn't mind dubs of English accent if they could procure better voice talent than the average American English dubs. I really just don't understand, you would think that with all the starving artists in Hollywood, they could find more Steve Blum's out there.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 1/30/14

supasoggyrolle wrote:

Ugh. American actors are bad enough. I don't need bad acting done in an accent. I'll just stick with subs. I wouldn't mind dubs of English accent if they could procure better voice talent than the average American English dubs. I really just don't understand, you would think that with all the starving artists in Hollywood, they could find more Steve Blum's out there.


What about, say, French actors?
29480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/30/14
I would watch them!
17394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 1/30/14
I've been watching a few episodes of Okami-san on TV lately and they have a British commentator. I don't watch many dubs but from what I get from that one that I do watch I don't love it
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.