First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply Does Evil Exist?
12887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Gridania / H...
Offline
Posted 1/14/15 , edited 1/15/15

jeanius- wrote:


Bluearmy wrote:


jeanius- wrote:

The idea of "Good" and "Evil" being "Perspective" is something I find complete utter rubbish. Being good is universal, just like being evil. If you are a good person, then you help those that you can or are nice to people or you don't do things that would bring harm, misfortune, discomfort, ect., to others. Evil is the exact opposite, obviously. Evil is to do harm to others, whether it be physically, mentally, emotionally, ect., and there is no perspective good from something like say rape.

It is good that the person committing a horrible act feels better from it in their perspective, but it is inherently and irrefutably evil to feel better about yourself or make yourself happy by causing pain and suffering to others.

Now Good and Evil have various different ranges, with Good going from "Nice work, kid." to "Holy crap! Somebody Saint this person immediately!" and Evil ranging from, "What an asshole!" to "Oh my God she's in a blue dress!" (I doubt anyone will get that reference).


No offense, but I believe thisi s only valid because you are painting a Black and White picture of Good and Evil.

A good man will go to war and kill to protect his loved ones. Does this make him evil or good?

On the topic of Rape the stunts that ISIS and those terror groups are doing with the enslaving of women and children, I am fairly certain marrying them off without their will and ____(you can finish this thought) is not as easy to say its "Good" or "Evil." Our modern day society condemns that and calls it "Evil" but from their views it is stated in their religious texts (I remember this from the exchange article that a bunch of children were kidnapped and the government demanded to trade, but the terrorists refused to and said they sold them off) that it is "Good."

Unfortunately our world is dyed Grey and not Black and White.


I'm painting a black and white picture because it speaks the most to the core of this topic. I know there are grey areas when trying to determine what is good or evil, but being black and white speaks to the heart of this topic and it's the easiest way to determine what is good or evil in that regard.

When a full grown adult walks into an elementary school full of little children and kills as many as he can before killing himself or getting shot down by the cops then that's evil. Taking somebodies life just because is evil. Raping someone because they are powerless to stop you is evil. Lynching someone because their skin color isn't the same as yours is evil. When The Church pardons and covers its peons for raping and molesting children, that's evil.

There are a lot of situations that aren't very cut and dry when it comes to good and evil, but there are a lot of situations where it is very cut and dry though as well.


On your example with an adult coming in and shooting children; everything you are saying is from your perspective and perspective of the society around you (most likely). I am not saying I do not consider it evil, but I am not naive enough to generalize it and apply that definition to everybody. What about the shooting in Pakistan? <http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/pakistan-peshawar-school-attack/>. As I understand it evil and its associated actions are things I would avoid, but apparently for these militants it can possibly be deemed as "good" (as I do not represent them I cannot say 100% if they consider it evil or good, but the fact that its not a first time act and that can act upon this deed indicates they may not necessarily believe their actions to be "evil."). I am using this particular example just because I remember it in the most recent news. What about the shooting of the female child that spoke about woman's rights and got shot for it? We probably deem it as evil, but someone (the perpetrators) sure as heck probably didn't.

What I am trying to point out is that your belief that there are many "cut-and-dry" situations that can be deemed evil, that is not a fact, that is your opinion. Because you find it to be "evil" you are forcing that perception of yours and applying it to the world as a whole. As such my opinion is that there is nothing in this world that can be defined black or white. The only time I can find solace in a black and white situation is when I am expressing that thought are those that I communicate with also agree with that perception, but I will not be so generalizing as to say "this is black, that is white" to a sense.

Btw, I have no intention on attacking you for this, I just hope I can provide a better position from where I am coming from.
2197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 1/15/15
yep. it's called mint chocolate.
8654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 1/15/15
This question is kind of odd.

I don't think evil truly has a form because what is good and what is evil is going to depend entirely upon who you are asking.

If you take the world by itself, with no humans on it. Evil doesn't exist.
If you take the world and put a single human on it, evil doesn't exist.

Evil doesn't exist until you add enough humans to which they start to disagree with each other. When one human starts to have conflicting morals with another, that's when they start calling each other "evil".

It's fairly meaningless really. It means "I don't think what you're doing is right."

Well so what?

Evil only exists in the mind, and it exists in a completely different form in every single persons mind. There are no two people who have the exact same view of "evil".

Discussing something that is different for everybody has no purpose, no meaning. No, evil doesn't exist.

6041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/15/15

Still_Ginger wrote:Discussing something that is different for everybody has no purpose, no meaning.
I disagree, it's often very useful to discuss these topics, as it exposes people to flaws in their own perspectives that can convince them to change their mind and agree with you.

No, evil doesn't exist.
It can't not exist, but of course there is no inherently superior definition of it.
12887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Gridania / H...
Offline
Posted 1/15/15

Still_Ginger wrote:

This question is kind of odd.

I don't think evil truly has a form because what is good and what is evil is going to depend entirely upon who you are asking.

If you take the world by itself, with no humans on it. Evil doesn't exist.
If you take the world and put a single human on it, evil doesn't exist.

Evil doesn't exist until you add enough humans to which they start to disagree with each other. When one human starts to have conflicting morals with another, that's when they start calling each other "evil".

It's fairly meaningless really. It means "I don't think what you're doing is right."

Well so what?

Evil only exists in the mind, and it exists in a completely different form in every single persons mind. There are no two people who have the exact same view of "evil".

Discussing something that is different for everybody has no purpose, no meaning. No, evil doesn't exist.



While I do like the majority of your statement, I disagree with the single human as you are implying evil can only be coined when there are additional humans...when in fact that poor single human might find the world (or whoever put him/her there) as an evil existence. Heck if I was the robot from Clannad and stuck in that world all alone I would prob curse whoever put me there and gave me a reasoning mind and call it evil.
20780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/15
The theatrical intepretation of evil does not exist.
There's a negative for all positive.
Push and pull

These are natural though, there is no such thing as "evil"
An9el 
26945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 1/15/15
ofc it does
28212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/15 , edited 1/15/15
Evil is a point of view, but malice is a choice. Many things are often considered evil (murder), but without malice it's not evil, and sometimes a mercy (pulling the plug on a terminally ill patient, especially if the patient wishes for it. It's still intentionally ending a persons life, but few would consider it murder). What's considered evil is also heavily based on culture.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.