First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Guys have you ever thought of polishing your toenails?
44348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M & F / New Ameri...
Offline
Posted 8/13/13

ahatestory wrote:This is getting into philosophical territory: if a guy paints his toenails and nobody sees them...?
Kind of like the same philosophical territory if a guy wears panties but nobody sees them...?

4020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 8/13/13

.


Well, aren't you basically telling a girl what to do in saying they should go natural instead of enjoying what they enjoy? No, no I was not. I was merely voicing my opinion. Nowhere in any of my posts did I make an edict that women must do something and not an other. Even in my original post I stated the I did not understand why they feel the need to change their looks as they can stand on their own virtues. I'm speaking from years of experience having been in relationships with women that have used many products to women that use few if any. The women that doll themselves up looked no better than those who did not. In fact in my experience those that regularly used makeup end up looking worse when they take it off due to the effects it has on the skin. Again I never made an edict that even came close to implying any compulsory action on the part of the women. I commented on changing oneself to meet societies ideal and unrealistic images that can have a negative impact on ones physical and emotional health. Another prime example would be tanning salons. These vastly increase the risk of developing skin cancer. Elective plastic surgeries that have their own inherit risks. All of this in the name of vanity. Everyone has the right to do as they please.
4020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 8/13/13

JustineKo2 wrote:


kamaitachi5587 wrote:Then clear polish would suffice for strengthening nails, or cutting them short. The repeated painting and removing nail polish can damage nails in fact making them more brittle. Repeated exposure to solvents is of course bad for skin and nails. Not to mention nail polish can leave nails yellowed or darkened. Using that they like it think it looks good is a rather weak argument. Some women wear high heels despite the fact that they cause damage and can have lasting effect on the muscle-skeletal system. I have different views than a lot of people. I believe a women is attractive or not based on her own virtues not on when Revlon or Cover Girl tells her she should be wearing. The media has so warped our cultures perceptions of beauty that people change themselves so much to fit this ideal that they sacrifice health and money to do it.
Which is why I think it's better if we break the strong relationship between fashion and gender roles, as I think they are genuinely more harmful to women like obsessing over the need to be skinny, tanned, with the right shape of breasts, color of hair or lack of it on their body. Women pump and pour so many chemicals onto their body it can't be healthy. If it was just socially acceptable for women to only follow basic hygiene no matter the situation just like men are expected to then there wouldn't be a need for all these unhealthy products that make superficial changes to your appearance. But to be fair to the companies that produce these products just make it socially acceptable for men to use them as much as women. After all, it's your choice to use them so do the research on whether they are impacting your health or not. But at the same time it's perfectly acceptable from the standpoint that women don't need to be disproportionately exploited by the beauty industry because beauty is for men just as much as it is for women. I think it's getting closer to this anyway, lots of guys use hair coloring, skin products and fragrance, etc.



Excellent points and very well put.
663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 8/13/13 , edited 8/13/13

kamaitachi5587 wrote:


.


Well, aren't you basically telling a girl what to do in saying they should go natural instead of enjoying what they enjoy? No, no I was not. I was merely voicing my opinion. Nowhere in any of my posts did I make an edict that women must do something and not an other. Even in my original post I stated the I did not understand why they feel the need to change their looks as they can stand on their own virtues. I'm speaking from years of experience having been in relationships with women that have used many products to women that use few if any. The women that doll themselves up looked no better than those who did not. In fact in my experience those that regularly used makeup end up looking worse when they take it off due to the effects it has on the skin. Again I never made an edict that even came close to implying any compulsory action on the part of the women. I commented on changing oneself to meet societies ideal and unrealistic images that can have a negative impact on ones physical and emotional health. Another prime example would be tanning salons. These vastly increase the risk of developing skin cancer. Elective plastic surgeries that have their own inherit risks. All of this in the name of vanity. Everyone has the right to do as they please.


I agree that women have been influenced by the media to tend to themselves to an unhealthy level to meet an ideal, but nail polish is hardly a concern or something developed from peer pressure. It's a very simple aesthetic interest people have taken up, so she probably interpreted that you are the type to quickly lash out on any behavior commonly seen in women as being "attention seeking" (I don't blame her because its become a trend for dudes to question everything a gal does) since you stated your personal preference. Honestly, you have to tread these waters lightly nowadays because one can easily misinterpret when a seemingly senseless behavior is actually encouraged by the media or it's just personal enjoyment. These also vary from person to person.
17753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 8/13/13

JustineKo2 wrote:


ahatestory wrote:This is getting into philosophical territory: if a guy paints his toenails and nobody sees them...?
Kind of like the same philosophical territory if a guy wears panties but nobody sees them...?



They may seem similar at first glance, but I think there's a subtle difference in there somewhere; for one there are the sexual connotations of panties, and there's also the fact that gender-specific underwear exists. Nail polish, though, could perhaps be considered a bit more neutral; and I've never heard of a store trying to sell nail polish to women with the idea that it will get their man interested.

Consider a guy painting his nails black, he could *try* to make some argument for being goth or emo or metal, but those arguments would not be so effective with regards to wearing black panties (emo and goth jokes aside). After all, there are already black underwear for guys. And that's not even getting into whether they're frilly/lacey or not.

We could probably make a scale of embarrassment levels for this from one to some ridiculously large number:
How embarrassed would you be if you were caught:
- With toenails painted black
- With toenails painted pink
- Wearing black panties
- Wearing pink panties
- Wearing lacy black panties
- Wearing lacy pink panties

With some other points of reference we can all relate to such as:
- Realizing you made an ass out of yourself while drunk the night before
- Getting rejected by a girl in front of all your friends
- Forgetting your part on stage (acting, music, speech, presentation)
- Failing parking your car in an epic manner while people look on
- Having the bride bail out on your wedding
- Accidentally driving over someone's flower bed while doing a 3 point turn on a back road in the middle of the night while your friend is with you, laughing at your failure...
- Realizing the car you just honked at for jumping in front of you at the last minute and then proceeding to drive literally 5 miles per hour on a road you can't pass on was the lead car of a funeral procession...

Well, the last two may be a little over specific...

You know, if somebody had told me this morning I'd be discussing the difference between a man wearing nail polish vs a man wearing panties tonight, I think I would have laughed at them.

Anyway, time for sleep. If I end up dreaming about wearing panties and nail polish tonight, I'm blaming you.
9992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / Demacia
Offline
Posted 8/14/13
NO
335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
awwww I would so want to be friends with a guy that was cool and awesome enough to put on a dress or nailpolish. I really hate masculine guys; it's a huge turnoff for me and I dont like being near them at all.
15520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
Never, is there much of a difference when doing so?
41 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
My sister would paint my nails black every once in a while before we went to college and I paint my fingernails/toenails whenever I do akatsuki cosplays. Other than that, no, I don't paint them, but I see nothing wrong with it >.>
11994 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / in the TARDIS wit...
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
Some men paint their nails in countries like Japan, Korea, and Hong Kong. Men there are pretty trendy. Some actually look good with them, especially with an attractive outfit that matches.

I wouldn't exactly want a boyfriend flashier than me or my lady peers though. That would be most awkward.
8987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / florida
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
Only my pinkys so I'll be thug enough like Carson Daly.
20085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SoCal, HB
Offline
Posted 8/29/13 , edited 8/29/13
you know what... screw it, I'll paint my nails. Cuz real men paint their nails.

Colors that are acceptable, black and dark purple, Crimson


出る釘は打たれる.
The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Hey OP
12212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
What is this thread.
12212 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 8/29/13 , edited 8/29/13

pandrasb wrote:

you know what... screw it, I'll paint my nails. Cuz real men paint their nails.

Colors that are acceptable, black and dark purple, Crimson


出る釘は打たれる.
The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

Hey OP


Pics with timestamp or it didn't happen.
20085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SoCal, HB
Offline
Posted 8/29/13 , edited 8/29/13

I know
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.