First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Career Decisions
1293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / inbetween
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
Well, I am just going to college to kill some time...actaully the only reason why i;m going to college it's because it's paid for..all i have to pay is gas and books. otherwise...i dont think i;d go to school...it's too expensive!!!!
864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
i'm not going to college, I dont need college to have a career.
33884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
Um...I haven't decided what to be yet.
It better be high paying though, lol.
298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Groningen, nether...
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
I'm going to study international business & management or international business & languages at the university. I want to work in Asia later in one of those huge skyscrapers at Singapore or Kuala Lumpur
Posted 2/7/08
Pretty much what everyone says.

Its important to know by the end of your senior yr
so you dont waste so much money in college.

As for me,
ive narrowed down my choices to
a Doctor [three doctors in my family]
or an Archeologist.

:]
16241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
*cough* I'm a freshmen in high school....For my whole life, i never knew/know what to do with it. And when i do find something that I /might/ like or go in to. Once i start doing some research on it; I give up on it right away. Because its too hard. -_-;

Though, i don't get those /might/ jobs often, right now i'm still thinking about it; like what i'm going to do with my future, how am i going to achive my goals. And most importantly, what ARE my goals?

recently i have gotten a huge fond in to Reading, Anime, and philosophy. And Law. And i'm naturally good at Debates. So i was thinking of becoming a lawyer, or judge even. though after i look in to the details for those two jobs, for lawyer i'll have to study for 2 years in university, then apply to law school, then 6 years of being in law school, then 1 year of "training" in a real law place, then go back to school for one more year. -_-; thats' 10 years of school after high school. Meaning i'll be at least 27 by that time.

and if i were to be come a judge of some kind, thats' adding 3 more years, that means i'll be 30 by the time i go out to the working world...do I really have that much time? Do I really want to spent 13 extra years after high school /IN SCHOOL/?

there are so many things to think about if i were to be "one of those" jobs that interest me even the slightest bit...And thats hard. And I was thinking of studying in philosophy in university, but do I really want to? Its a hard job, and there's a lot of work to be done, and it'll hurt my brain badly. Even more so, i just recently borrowed a book or two on this subject, there's so much history and science behind it -_-; and it requires a really really really smart person to solve any of those problems. Yet i'm only 14...i'm no where near those -_-; no where...

*sighs* my path is so blurry, and so foggy....I can't see anything, yet i have to keep walking; for the better or worse. People have told me i have so many things that i can do, considering i'm very...humm...Wise for my age. Though sometimes i wish i can just be like my fellow classmates who don't really think about this kind of things other than "What am i going to wear on friday...?" or "oh my god! that sub-teacher is cute!!!" instead of things what i think about normally "What the heck should/can i do with this flipped up life of mine?"

Life sucks, be glad if you're naive, be glad if you're ignorant*sometimes*. *sighs* but of course, i'm not saying i'm smarter or better than everyone else, i'm just saying i'm one of those unlucky idiots who got to realize their messed up future. while being a C+ average student -_-; who is "suppose" to be "smart" on some degree -_-;
998 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Vancouverrr.
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
I think it takes a loong time to truly decide what you want to be for the rest of your life. I don't think I'm THAT confident, cause I'm always scared I'd make the wrong decision & screw up my future.
I guess with experience, you know more of what you want...
and it's not to late to change your decision in second year but I think that's your last chance...
But edsamac basically covered it all.
Going to university is a big decision! The last year of high school changes your life...
1832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
I'm in grade 12 and i've already been excepted in some college programs. But i've still havn't totally made up my mind yet to which one to choose. My interests change everyday. And my mom is everyday nagging me to choose already. It's so annoying! You'd think she's be happy that i at least got accepted.
97 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / over the moon
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
i have so many ideas of what career i would want in the future but im still not completely sure....almost a
freshman and i really want one that i can enjoy
189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

Lazybook wrote:

Like some of you all here, I'm still a high school student. I've been quite stressful these days due to school work, SAT prep, club activities, and a personal life to add on top of all that. Our course selection for next year is just about done, and very often, I would get hit with the same question from my Parents/Counselor/Teachers: Do you have any career plans for the future?

My question for you guys is, do you think students at an early level such as high school should be asked to decide on their careers or a major they like to approach? And of course there should be enough reason for that decision; not like when we were all kindergarten and all wanted to become president/police/astronaut/etcetc. Also if you do go to a college with a plan, would it be possible to turn around and go for a completely different route?

I need to know what you guys think, since a lot of people have been on my back regarding this topic lately. Either way, I think deciding on some medical career, but who knows how that will turn out lol.


People in Japan don't have to attend high school and just get a job. If I'm not mistaken, the majority of people don't even go to college. The average college student changes their major twice, so it's not really necessary to have an absolute idea, but it wouldn't hurt to know where your strengths and interests lie. If you're going into medicine, you don't really need to go to college at all to start if you're a nurse or a paramedic, though I believe it requires a certification that might require vocational school.

You seem to care decently about school, so I'd look at your course grades and see what subjects you excel/fail in. If you're pretty good at biology and English, then medicine might match your strengths, though your interests can easily be entirely different. If your grades suck and you have little interest in school, then pursuing a higher level of education might not be for you. My grades used to suck etc. though, and I found interesting stuff in college. You'll probably be exposed to subjects you've never even heard of, and might find them interesting, and learn you don't have sufficient interest/abilities to pursue courses you were previously interested/gifted in. I walked in as a biomedical engineer major, walked out as a psychology major. Fairly different fields, eh?
189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

Omok wrote:

*cough* I'm a freshmen in high school....For my whole life, i never knew/know what to do with it. And when i do find something that I /might/ like or go in to. Once i start doing some research on it; I give up on it right away. Because its too hard. -_-;

Though, i don't get those /might/ jobs often, right now i'm still thinking about it; like what i'm going to do with my future, how am i going to achive my goals. And most importantly, what ARE my goals?

recently i have gotten a huge fond in to Reading, Anime, and philosophy. And Law. And i'm naturally good at Debates. So i was thinking of becoming a lawyer, or judge even. though after i look in to the details for those two jobs, for lawyer i'll have to study for 2 years in university, then apply to law school, then 6 years of being in law school, then 1 year of "training" in a real law place, then go back to school for one more year. -_-; thats' 10 years of school after high school. Meaning i'll be at least 27 by that time.

and if i were to be come a judge of some kind, thats' adding 3 more years, that means i'll be 30 by the time i go out to the working world...do I really have that much time? Do I really want to spent 13 extra years after high school /IN SCHOOL/?

there are so many things to think about if i were to be "one of those" jobs that interest me even the slightest bit...And thats hard. And I was thinking of studying in philosophy in university, but do I really want to? Its a hard job, and there's a lot of work to be done, and it'll hurt my brain badly. Even more so, i just recently borrowed a book or two on this subject, there's so much history and science behind it -_-; and it requires a really really really smart person to solve any of those problems. Yet i'm only 14...i'm no where near those -_-; no where...

*sighs* my path is so blurry, and so foggy....I can't see anything, yet i have to keep walking; for the better or worse. People have told me i have so many things that i can do, considering i'm very...humm...Wise for my age. Though sometimes i wish i can just be like my fellow classmates who don't really think about this kind of things other than "What am i going to wear on friday...?" or "oh my god! that sub-teacher is cute!!!" instead of things what i think about normally "What the heck should/can i do with this flipped up life of mine?"

Life sucks, be glad if you're naive, be glad if you're ignorant*sometimes*. *sighs* but of course, i'm not saying i'm smarter or better than everyone else, i'm just saying i'm one of those unlucky idiots who got to realize their messed up future. while being a C+ average student -_-; who is "suppose" to be "smart" on some degree -_-;


Wow, becoming a lawyer in Canada is much different than the U.S. If ye move over here, it's like 2-3 years in college, or 4+ if you get a degree, then 3 years of law school and then you take the state bar for whatever state you want to practice in. I'm not even sure you're required to go to law school, maybe just pass the state bar? You get elected as judge down here too...

You're fourteen years old...don't expect to be able to do college work with normal circumstances, even if your IQ is two deviations above the average. No one ever said college was easy Depending on your major, you might not even touch any courses directly related to it until your 2nd or 3rd year, which, assuming you graduate normally, means you'll be 19 or 20. Even my basic vocabulary and paths of logic drastically changed between my freshmen and senior year in high school. Taking things one step at a time can seem like a waste of time and can be rather frustrating, but, long-term wise, it tends to be more efficient and it better enables you to take a walk and enjoy life, instead of running through it all.

When I was 14, I wanted to shoot myself because I thought I was never going to do anything useful with my life... Most people's interests and abilities change over time, especially at such a critical developmental period. You'll be exposed to various experiences that will change your entire outlook on life. If you don't already, I'd suggest you start reading books that interest you. If you can read loads of books about a certain topic, well...that's all really college is, so it can give you a good idea of your interests.

Spending 1/2-1/3 of your life in school is a pretty crappy way to look at it. If you're taking subjects you're interested in, it's to get a job where you do stuff you're interested in. If you find the material interesting, then would that not make life interesting? And really, you do kinda have to spend the other 1/2 of your life doing something, so it might as well be doing something interesting, even if it takes years to be able to do it on your own.
16241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

Nipin wrote:

Wow, becoming a lawyer in Canada is much different than the U.S. If ye move over here, it's like 2-3 years in college, or 4+ if you get a degree, then 3 years of law school and then you take the state bar for whatever state you want to practice in. I'm not even sure you're required to go to law school, maybe just pass the state bar? You get elected as judge down here too...

You're fourteen years old...don't expect to be able to do college work with normal circumstances, even if your IQ is two deviations above the average. No one ever said college was easy Depending on your major, you might not even touch any courses directly related to it until your 2nd or 3rd year, which, assuming you graduate normally, means you'll be 19 or 20. Even my basic vocabulary and paths of logic drastically changed between my freshmen and senior year in high school. Taking things one step at a time can seem like a waste of time and can be rather frustrating, but, long-term wise, it tends to be more efficient and it better enables you to take a walk and enjoy life, instead of running through it all.

When I was 14, I wanted to shoot myself because I thought I was never going to do anything useful with my life... Most people's interests and abilities change over time, especially at such a critical developmental period. You'll be exposed to various experiences that will change your entire outlook on life. If you don't already, I'd suggest you start reading books that interest you. If you can read loads of books about a certain topic, well...that's all really college is, so it can give you a good idea of your interests.

Spending 1/2-1/3 of your life in school is a pretty crappy way to look at it. If you're taking subjects you're interested in, it's to get a job where you do stuff you're interested in. If you find the material interesting, then would that not make life interesting? And really, you do kinda have to spend the other 1/2 of your life doing something, so it might as well be doing something interesting, even if it takes years to be able to do it on your own.


Lol, yes, over the course of life, even if its only 14 years. I have already realized those things, comparing my self to my self three years ago; i have changed 40%~60% at least. I'm a lot more logical, less naive, and still hate my life the same amount, still lost to the same degree, but heck! I know a few more things about my self than before, about my interest in different views of life. and yes, its a pain-in-the-butt here in canada to become a lawyer -_-; and yeah, like you suggested, borrowing books from the libery on things that I like, i'm already doing that, but yeah...i'm cutting my class time to read it *laughs* I was reading "Animal Rights" during Science class, thats' why i forgot/messed up some of the facts xD

"A journey of a thousand steps, begins with one small step."
189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

Omok wrote:


Nipin wrote:

Wow, becoming a lawyer in Canada is much different than the U.S. If ye move over here, it's like 2-3 years in college, or 4+ if you get a degree, then 3 years of law school and then you take the state bar for whatever state you want to practice in. I'm not even sure you're required to go to law school, maybe just pass the state bar? You get elected as judge down here too...

You're fourteen years old...don't expect to be able to do college work with normal circumstances, even if your IQ is two deviations above the average. No one ever said college was easy Depending on your major, you might not even touch any courses directly related to it until your 2nd or 3rd year, which, assuming you graduate normally, means you'll be 19 or 20. Even my basic vocabulary and paths of logic drastically changed between my freshmen and senior year in high school. Taking things one step at a time can seem like a waste of time and can be rather frustrating, but, long-term wise, it tends to be more efficient and it better enables you to take a walk and enjoy life, instead of running through it all.

When I was 14, I wanted to shoot myself because I thought I was never going to do anything useful with my life... Most people's interests and abilities change over time, especially at such a critical developmental period. You'll be exposed to various experiences that will change your entire outlook on life. If you don't already, I'd suggest you start reading books that interest you. If you can read loads of books about a certain topic, well...that's all really college is, so it can give you a good idea of your interests.

Spending 1/2-1/3 of your life in school is a pretty crappy way to look at it. If you're taking subjects you're interested in, it's to get a job where you do stuff you're interested in. If you find the material interesting, then would that not make life interesting? And really, you do kinda have to spend the other 1/2 of your life doing something, so it might as well be doing something interesting, even if it takes years to be able to do it on your own.


Lol, yes, over the course of life, even if its only 14 years. I have already realized those things, comparing my self to my self three years ago; i have changed 40%~60% at least. I'm a lot more logical, less naive, and still hate my life the same amount, still lost to the same degree, but heck! I know a few more things about my self than before, about my interest in different views of life. and yes, its a pain-in-the-butt here in canada to become a lawyer -_-; and yeah, like you suggested, borrowing books from the libery on things that I like, i'm already doing that, but yeah...i'm cutting my class time to read it *laughs* I was reading "Animal Rights" during Science class, thats' why i forgot/messed up some of the facts xD

"A journey of a thousand steps, begins with one small step."


yea, if high school in Canada is anything like the U.S., it's a crappy waste of time really... I slept through it and failed over 1/2 my classes from not turning stuff in, though I took exams to obtain credit after I failed. You don't even really have to get good grades to get into a good college...just go to a crappy junior college or whatnot for a year or two for the basic courses, and if you get decent grades, its generally easy to transfer to a decent university; Though standardized tests tend to be important, like the SAT, or a Canadian equivalent :P

273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada...
Offline
Posted 2/7/08
I;m in high school right now.... but when i grow up....my dream was always in the medical field.
I've always wanted to be a emergency room doctor....i thing it would be really intense and i LOVE the thrill of needing to do things quick and spontaneous.
On the other hand....I thought of being a teacher because i really like to be with kids...
But now adays, teachers don't get paid as much as they deserve. I think teaching would be so cool....
189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39
Offline
Posted 2/7/08

bobbyling wrote:

I;m in high school right now.... but when i grow up....my dream was always in the medical field.
I've always wanted to be a emergency room doctor....i thing it would be really intense and i LOVE the thrill of needing to do things quick and spontaneous.
On the other hand....I thought of being a teacher because i really like to be with kids...
But now adays, teachers don't get paid as much as they deserve. I think teaching would be so cool....


a pediatrician is in the medical field, AND you get to work with kids ^^ If you like surgery, you can always specialize to work on children.

you can always learn a relatively rare language and teach English in that country...lots of the bi-lingual asian teachers etc. make 6 figures.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.