First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Body Building
3298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/07
first thing is to have a good breakfast, eating breakfast and after u work out is important, for breakfast have like cereal with high carbs and protein ugh like eggs,milk

u need to eat alot more than usually cause it wont matter how much u lift if u dont eat right then u have nothing to use to gain muscle

stretch and warm up for before exercising like atleast 10-15min, after working out give urself some downtime and stretch another 10min

if ur just starting u prolly shouldnt lift more than 4 times a week, dont do the same workouts over and over try to do a variety of things

its pretty hard to be an expert on all the workouts, ugh google some exersices i guess buy some freeweights, maybe a jumping rope to warm up with

o and if u try doing mass number of sit-ups look up info on it first, the basic situp 1000x wont really be good enough
26820 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Chicago
Offline
Posted 6/21/07
Steroids.. = this



You're still young so there is really no need to take all of that.. IF you really need it, you should BSN NITRIX. That will make you eat A LOT.. On my first day of taking Nitrix, I ate 10 eggs for breakfast and was still HUNGRY. For protein shakes, you should take NitroTech. It's a little bit expensive, but it gets the job done. Finally, you should eat at least 4 meals a day even if you don't want to because if there isn't anything there to replace the damage muscles tissue after working out, you won't see actual results.

For training:

Monday - Bench press, chest fly, shoulder press, shoulder raise, shoulder shrug

Tuesday- Lat rows, Pull ups, bicep curls, reverse curls, french press, and triceps extensions

Wednesday- Leg press, leg extension, leg curls, w/e abs exercise

Sets 2-4
Reps 10-15

Oh yeah, you need to rest 30-60 second before starting a new set.
2611 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / comic shops and c...
Offline
Posted 6/21/07
if u decide to change ur mind but are still haunted by the memories u can always get a lobotomy.
24645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / 横浜市
Offline
Posted 6/21/07

aznrice2k4 wrote:

You're still young so there is really no need to take all of that.. IF you really need it because you can't eat a lot of something, you should BSN NITRIX. That will make you eat A LOT.. On my first day of taking Nitrix, I ate 10 eggs for breakfast and was still HUNGRY. For protein shakes, you should take NitroTech. It's a little bit expensive, but it gets the job done. Finally, you should eat at least 4 meals a day even if you don't want to because if there isn't anything there to replace the damage muscles tissue after working out, you won't see actual results.

For training:

Monday - Bench press, chest fly, shoulder press, shoulder raise, shoulder shrug

Tuesday- Lat rows, Pull ups, bicep curls, reverse curls, french press, and triceps extensions

Wednesday- Leg press, leg extension, leg curls, w/e abs exercise

Sets 2-4
Reps 10-15

Oh yeah, you need to rest 30-60 second before before starting a new set.


Not a bad summary there is some good advice in this thread so far and I'll add some. If you are underweight EAT! 5 meals a day is my advice, stay away from saturated fats and simple carbs, but don't be afraid to eat lots of complex carbs, and lots of protein. Considering you are just starting out, don't bother with supplements, you should get all of your nutrients from foods.

As for training, it depends on what you consider to be your goals, what you want to achieve in terms of size, strength, etc.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT RULE IS GET A MENTOR OR A TRAINER. If you are considering any strength training you need someone with considerable experience in the field to teach you proper technique. Technique is the most important part of strength training. After that my advice is lift big. Within reason of course, find your RM's and constantly push those boundaries.

I won't bother detailing any specific rountines, because everyone is different and you should get your trainer/mentor to help with setting one up.

Biggest thing is don't pussy out. Strength training requires guts and determination, as well as setting up a routine and sticking to it.

And to whoever mention pedobear, you should know better than that RULE #1

Just a quick edit to clarify things after re-reading OP's post.

Don't neglect your lower body for christ's sake. If you want to get any significant gains, you NEED to be working your legs. Your lower body, quads and hammy's in particular are your largest muscle groups. By working them you generate higher lvls of testosterone, then you would be exclusively working your upper body.
3334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / San Diego
Offline
Posted 6/21/07
At least 3 meals a day. Drink/Eat Protein shakes/bars/drinks. Go to the gym 3-5 times a week, an hour or 2 everytime you go. If you stay devoted, you'll get good results.
24645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / 横浜市
Offline
Posted 6/21/07

justwatching86 wrote:

At least 3 meals a day. Drink/Eat Protein shakes/bars/drinks. Go to the gym 3-5 times a week, an hour or 2 everytime you go. If you stay devoted, you'll get good results.


5 meals. Don't bother protein loading for a novice. 4 times a week exclusively for str training, more if you feel like cardio (but don't overtrain). Str workouts should go for about 60-90mins, anything more and your pissing away time and you haven't given it your best shot.
29091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Body in NY Mind i...
Offline
Posted 6/21/07
Alright man this is what you need to do. Disregard all the power pill bull shit from others. Just eat double the meals that are health orientated. Lay off the fat ass foods if you eat any. Getting all the necessary vitamins and other nutrients. This way you can gain some weight. Then regularly stretch with some aerobics. After that start off with some light weights that are with in your range. perferably you should start with 20 - 25 pound dumbbells (I use 35`s). If you wanna increase your leg strength start with 190 - 230 pounds. Then try benching 130 pounds and lift that 10 times. Continue to max out every time your bench the weight 10 times. My max is 200 right now. But I haven't benched in a while. Be sure to have a spotter at all times. Try also jogging 3 miles a day.

My councelor for school is my strength and conditioning coach. So this is how it should go especially if your in high school. Make sure to do 200 push ups and 300 sit ups or crunches. Per work out session. Oh yea dont push your self to hard. So I recommend 3 days a week of weight lifting for maximum results.
24645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / 横浜市
Offline
Posted 6/21/07

SenbonzakuraMaster wrote:

Alright man this is what you need to do. Disregard all the power pill bull shit from others. Just eat double the meals that are health orientated. Lay off the fat ass foods if you eat any. Getting all the necessary vitamins and other nutrients. This way you can gain some weight. Then regularly stretch with some aerobics. After that start off with some light weights that are with in your range. perferably you should start with 20 - 25 pound dumbbells (I use 35`s). If you wanna increase your leg strength start with 190 - 230 pounds. Then try benching 130 pounds and lift that 10 times. Continue to max out every time your bench the weight 10 times. My max is 200 right now. But I haven't benched in a while. Be sure to have a spotter at all times. Try also jogging 3 miles a day.

My councelor for school is my strength and conditioning coach. So this is how it should go especially if your in high school. Make sure to do 200 push ups and 300 sit ups or crunches. Per work out session. Oh yea dont push your self to hard. So I recommend 3 days a week of weight lifting for maximum results.


Your a bit unclear on what you use your weights for? 20-25 is about right for a novice for curls I guess. 190-230 for squats? He is trying for bulk so I'd stay away from mass push-ups and I like the 300 sit ups but lots of rotation, work all your abs, instead of repeating a mid 4 exercise.
12307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/07
Take some form of martial arts! I've never lifted a single weight in my life, and after a few years of training, I am among the strongest guys at my school of 1800 students.
29091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Body in NY Mind i...
Offline
Posted 6/21/07

orangemaen wrote:


SenbonzakuraMaster wrote:

Alright man this is what you need to do. Disregard all the power pill bull shit from others. Just eat double the meals that are health orientated. Lay off the fat ass foods if you eat any. Getting all the necessary vitamins and other nutrients. This way you can gain some weight. Then regularly stretch with some aerobics. After that start off with some light weights that are with in your range. perferably you should start with 20 - 25 pound dumbbells (I use 35`s). If you wanna increase your leg strength start with 190 - 230 pounds. Then try benching 130 pounds and lift that 10 times. Continue to max out every time your bench the weight 10 times. My max is 200 right now. But I haven't benched in a while. Be sure to have a spotter at all times. Try also jogging 3 miles a day.

My councelor for school is my strength and conditioning coach. So this is how it should go especially if your in high school. Make sure to do 200 push ups and 300 sit ups or crunches. Per work out session. Oh yea dont push your self to hard. So I recommend 3 days a week of weight lifting for maximum results.


Your a bit unclear on what you use your weights for? 20-25 is about right for a novice for curls I guess. 190-230 for squats? He is trying for bulk so I'd stay away from mass push-ups and I like the 300 sit ups but lots of rotation, work all your abs, instead of repeating a mid 4 exercise.


Mass push-ups dont gain mass they tone the muscles. the 20 - 25 dumbbells are the basic motions. Even a beginner knows that. Over arm arm retractions and other such things. Squats tone the abs not bulk them. 300 sit ups is normal for our age. Ask a trainer if you can use incline , decline , and center based bench pressing. Also use the curling bar with 30 pounds on each side. This will definitely increase bicep concentration and triceps.
252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Singapore
Offline
Posted 6/22/07

bjord wrote:

Take some form of martial arts! I've never lifted a single weight in my life, and after a few years of training, I am among the strongest guys at my school of 1800 students.


i am planning to take up karate or jujitsu after my O levs
24645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / 横浜市
Offline
Posted 6/22/07

SenbonzakuraMaster wrote:

Mass push-ups dont gain mass they tone the muscles. the 20 - 25 dumbbells are the basic motions. Even a beginner knows that. Over arm arm retractions and other such things. Squats tone the abs not bulk them. 300 sit ups is normal for our age. Ask a trainer if you can use incline , decline , and center based bench pressing. Also use the curling bar with 30 pounds on each side. This will definitely increase bicep concentration and triceps.


Sorry if that came out out as scathing wasn't my intention I was generally interested in what suggested starting point for particularly exercises. I know push-ups are for tone, I was suggesting against using them, purely because he is interested in gaining mass. I find that going mass push-ups (not in a chest/triceps workout but supplementary say at home) would hinder gains during said workout. However taking in consideration that he is just starting it would probably be helpful.

As for squats, they are a catch 22 for core strength. They tone your core muscles, but without a considerable amount of core strength in the first place, you will level out rather quickly. As I posted above our OP shouldn't neglect lower body exercises, as they play a key role in increasing testosterone, which in turn will lead to more signficant upper body gains.

And I take it you misinterperated my question about the 20-25. Any beginner knows that each exercise you do will likely require a difference weight.

Finially for the 300 sit-ups I wasn't saying that is a bad idea, but instead to do a variety of different exercises to specially isolate certain abdominals at a time. Usually start at the top, work your way down, then finish your ab routine concentrating on your stabilisers.

As for benching are you an advocate of dumbell or barbell?
49 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 6/22/07
I'm not a health specialist, but I don't think you really need to eat more than three meals a day unless you're training for some form of athletics. If you're only lifting weights moderately over a two hour period (lifting weights only burns as many calories as yoga on average), then you don't need to do that.
Have any of you guys ever checked out the "Spartan work out"? Try out the Floor Wipers. They get your abs ripped.
By the way, in regards to the Spartan workout, the actors in 300 got partially ripped from doing more simple reps instead of weight lifting.
5787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / US
Offline
Posted 6/22/07
First off, stay away from those enhancement products. Any of those pills you can take to increase mass are a VERY bad idea. Get lots of protein in your diet - eggs are an awesome source for this.

for a basic workout work upper body 1 day, next day work lower body. You can work abs every day (the only muscle group you can do this with. rest 1 day every week.
Always work out with a buddy. and never get intimidated by what other people can lift and try to do the same. This will only hurt you very badly. start with what you can handle - 10 - 12 reps. 3 sets of push-ups 25 reps, 3 sets of sit-ups 25 reps. be sure to change up they type of push-up and sit-up you do. 3 sets of regular, 3 sets of wide arm push-ups, 3 sets of close hand push-ups; 3 sets of oblique sit-ups 3 sets of regular sit-ups and 3 sets of lower ab sit-ups. The push-up and sit-ups will not increase mass, but will help to increase stamina and give muscle tone. when you do squats always have a partner with you, and remember to position your feet properly or you could injure yourself. there are many work out regimens you can find on-line. do a google search.

Some helpful info here that may be of use to you:

Low weight and high reps builds muscle tone, high weight and low reps build mass. Protein builds muscle and carbs give energy. regular calisthenics are also important in any work out (push-ups, sit-ups, etc) and always remember to stretch.

Too avoid getting too sore after a workout drink lots of water - no soda. and when you curl work biceps and triceps or you will be very sore and have unbalanced muscle growth.
1285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/07
Just hit the gym. And ask a coach make yourself a plan. And eat properly. (Is the main point, actually. If you don't eat properly you'll remain skinny even if you're working out every day) Even if you aren't hungry. Especially before and after the training. Protein drinks are good, too.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.