First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Original Full Achemist animation looks better than Brotherhood?
11107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

maffayoo wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


puellapeanut wrote:

Argh! I've never watched either one of the FMA animes, though I've read the manga fully more than twice.

Should I start on the original (which I know changes the story) or just watch Brotherhood?


I'd say watch Brotherhood first since it will be familiar. Then go into the 2003 ver. With an open mind.


go 2003 first then go into brotherhood with an open mind while you watch roy mustang go ape shit on envy and lust best parts byfar


puellapeanut has already read the manga so it's not like that'll come at a great shock. I say if you read the manga already watching the anime closest to it is the best way to go. But they are both exceptionally good so it's not like its a hard decision. God forbid you have to sit through either of them.

3712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

zipzo wrote:I wonder if this is the longest post I've seen in my life? Hm...

Considering this thread is on the animation of the two series, I suppose this is off topic, but I feel the desperate need to say this: You're not as smart as you think you are.

Now, this is Crunchyroll, and in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king, and I wouldn't claim to have even one eye (although I think I have some kind of moderately light-sensitive organ), but your analysis contained very little analyzing, and you need to look up the following terms or you will continue misusing them:
Pretentious
Deus ex Machina.

As for the subject of animation itself...I haven't watched either one in a while, but Brotherhood was made six years later, on a larger budget, by the same studio. It's hard to imagine the 2003 version has superior animation, although their art styles are slightly different, so you may prefer one to the other.
3200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/15/13 , edited 8/15/13

Thrazonn wrote:


zipzo wrote:I wonder if this is the longest post I've seen in my life? Hm...

Considering this thread is on the animation of the two series, I suppose this is off topic, but I feel the desperate need to say this: You're not as smart as you think you are.

Now, this is Crunchyroll, and in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king, and I wouldn't claim to have even one eye (although I think I have some kind of moderately light-sensitive organ), but your analysis contained very little analyzing, and you need to look up the following terms or you will continue misusing them:
Pretentious
Deus ex Machina.

As for the subject of animation itself...I haven't watched either one in a while, but Brotherhood was made six years later, on a larger budget, by the same studio. It's hard to imagine the 2003 version has superior animation, although their art styles are slightly different, so you may prefer one to the other.


His argument was more.. the characters and story is deeper.
While i might agree the story was potentially deeper, how could you deny the fact that brother hood has characters with more depth when fma hardly goes into half of them and most of the time focuses on edward and alphonse?
5020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
Idk ive gotta say, i thought the animation was amazing compared to the original FMA..
3200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

jamiekj wrote:

Idk ive gotta say, i thought the animation was amazing compared to the original FMA..


Yeah it's like no one recalls things like king bradely going ape shit or roy mustang. lol
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 8/15/13 , edited 8/15/13

Thrazonn wrote:


zipzo wrote:I wonder if this is the longest post I've seen in my life? Hm...

Considering this thread is on the animation of the two series, I suppose this is off topic, but I feel the desperate need to say this: You're not as smart as you think you are.

Now, this is Crunchyroll, and in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king, and I wouldn't claim to have even one eye (although I think I have some kind of moderately light-sensitive organ), but your analysis contained very little analyzing, and you need to look up the following terms or you will continue misusing them:
Pretentious
Deus ex Machina.

As for the subject of animation itself...I haven't watched either one in a while, but Brotherhood was made six years later, on a larger budget, by the same studio. It's hard to imagine the 2003 version has superior animation, although their art styles are slightly different, so you may prefer one to the other.


You aren't nearly as apprehensive as you think you are. You need to look up the term opinion or you will continue flying in to topics with a cape trying to bare your heroic intelligence when really you're just masking your lack of it by barely actually saying anything at all except "You're stupid and wrong".

How do you know how smart I think I am? I don't believe I stated a numeration. The very fact you even said this just means you presumed I am intelligent at all, so thank you for your consideration, but try again.


fluffykun011 wrote:
His argument was more.. the characters and story is deeper.
While i might agree the story was potentially deeper, how could you deny the fact that brother hood has characters with more depth when fma hardly goes into half of them and most of the time focuses on edward and alphonse?


On the animation, I believe the difference to be of very little consequence. In almost every facet there are ways in which the original's animation trumps brotherhood, and ways in which 6 years later animation trumps 2003. It's an even boat.

You know, there is something in entertainment which is bluntly and usually referred to as an "overloaded cast". Do you know what this is? This means that in an effort to create a colorful cast of characters (which can be a good thing), the writers will tend to veer towards one-dimensional displays for each of those characters because there are only a handful of those characters that they truly need you to care about. This especially gets more convoluted when the entire cast is a magnetic character web, which is when each of these characters (one-dimensional or not) are related in some way.

Brotherhood has these in droves. There are so many unimportant fluff characters, and many of even the important characters are simply one-dimensional. This is a pretty typical trope. Edward is even written to be much less complex in brotherhood. There are times you barely really understand how he feels about a thing. Brotherhood sacrificed complexity in character development to introduce the full manga cast.

What you've cited is not a fault of FMA 2003, it's a strength. That doesn't mean having a ton of characters is Brotherhoods weakness...it just means FMA bolstered a different element of the show that made it what it is.

In the end, Edward and Alphonse are the the "hero" characters. You are invested in their plight alone. They have little side stories along the way, and they give special lime light to certain characters that will rip your heart out of your chest when they die (Major), but at the end of the day any extraneous attention to other characters is mostly an excuse to grow Edward and Alphonse even more. This gave the first series a different feel. A much more personal one, because you feel for Edward and Al more, it's like you're related to them or a close friend. As to whether that makes it better than brotherhood or not is your choice to decide. Clearly it's easy to see where you fall, but citing random cool things from Brotherhood doesn't really help your argument at all.
40659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Southern Oregon
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
I feel like brotherhood stayed more to the original designs of the manga (both character and background) then the original show so that may explain the differences you are seeing. Also they kind of rushed the first 13 episodes because they covered the same ground as the first anime, but when it starts hitting new material then they put a lot more effort into the fight scenes, which are amazing!
13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

eegah87 wrote:

I feel like brotherhood stayed more to the original designs of the manga (both character and background) then the original show so that may explain the differences you are seeing. Also they kind of rushed the first 13 episodes because they covered the same ground as the first anime, but when it starts hitting new material then they put a lot more effort into the fight scenes, which are amazing!


Imagine an unbiased viewer who had not seen the first series or read the manga...starts up Brotherhood.

Is the first series existing or even the manga existing a good excuse to rush the first quarter of your series so that it's mediocre drivel? It's not. It's epic laziness.

Really good things that even I liked about Brotherhood

Ling x Greed, Ling in general - This was a cool thing.

Pride - A pretty scary Homunculus. First series would have benefit from an intimidating enemy like him.
40659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Southern Oregon
Offline
Posted 8/15/13

zipzo wrote:


eegah87 wrote:

I feel like brotherhood stayed more to the original designs of the manga (both character and background) then the original show so that may explain the differences you are seeing. Also they kind of rushed the first 13 episodes because they covered the same ground as the first anime, but when it starts hitting new material then they put a lot more effort into the fight scenes, which are amazing!


Imagine an unbiased viewer who had not seen the first series or read the manga...starts up Brotherhood.

Is the first series existing or even the manga existing a good excuse to rush the first quarter of your series so that it's mediocre drivel? It's not. It's epic laziness.

Really good things that even I liked about Brotherhood

Ling x Greed, Ling in general - This was a cool thing.

Pride - A pretty scary Homunculus. First series would have benefit from an intimidating enemy like him.


I agree that the first part is too rushed but to be honest I think that most anime fans had seen the original show or had read the manga and the staff assumed as much. I can't really blame the staff for wanting to rush the first part because it was ground that most fans had already seen, and even rushed I found the first part a bit of a chore to get through because I wanted to see the new material. It isn't perfect but I still think that Brotherhood is the better of the two shows but that is just because I am a huge fan of the manga.
3200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
Hm... i gotchya now..
For awhile all i could really see from your words was hatred regarding brotherhood but you do speak the truth.
I have seen brotherhood twice now and it has been quite awhile since i have seen fma and truth be told i do have moments that i recall that i liked about fma just it's all kind of rewritten by the fact they never really explored everyone as much as they could have.

I remember edward and alphonse being more like a running gag despite edward and al having different traits.
Anyways it's been awhile.. i might as well go for a rewatch.
76082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 9/24/13
Yes, let's break another thread.

One Punch Mod
46177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 10/9/13
OP nuked.

locked and closed
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.