Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply If the big 3 weren't the big 3, who would be?
6302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/15/13
Ok so I agree with those that say that Bleach is no longer and good as it used to be but I think in terms of the recognition of its name it's still pretty up there. You can't really find anybody who hasn't heard of bleach. You can definitely find a lot of people who say it sucks, I don't even particularly like it myself. I read it because it's just pure ridiculousness and it's a fun read. But everybody knows about it.
10266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Dark Continent
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
I don't get this obsession people have been having recently of trying to replace, renew or change one or all of the big 3.

Let me just ask you this, when have you ever heard someone say ''Big 3'' (in anime) and it wasn't One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. And not just in anime, whether it's American automobiles, WW2 powerhouses or group of 3 star players on NBA teams (Celtics and Heat recently), the term ''Big 3'' was always used for things of a specific era and if one of those 3 stopped doing what made them big, they wouldn't give it's spot to the next big thing cause if it was worthy enough, they would be the big 4 (WWI Alliance leaders, Celtics after Rondo's rise). If there was another anime worthy, someone would have coined ''Big 4'' by now and it would be as widely accepted and recognizable as ''Big 3'' is.

Now another thing I find interesting is how do people here define ''Big 3''. Because, first of all, I'm pretty sure it's only used in the West and people used it to for One Piece, Bleach and Naruto because they were the ones who hit the west hard and enjoyed huge relatable success there during the same era.

If you find a long running manga that has an anime that aired 100+ episodes dubbed on a US TV station, several movies, multiple multi-platform video games and a huge fandom overseas, I think you can put it in the Big 3 or 4. Hiatus x Hiatus and Gintama have 0 episodes dubbed, Case Closed disappeared and is almost forgotten, Assassination Classroom won't run long enough and the Toriko anime isn't nearly good enough (I don't read the manga but seeing how popular it is I'm sure it's Toei's fault). I think Kodansha's Attack on Titan and especially Fairy Tail are what have the potential to achieve comparable success but they're still far off. And again, it's not a succession thing.


Axceed wrote:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/30-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-02/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2013-first-half

Bleach is long long long gone.
I don't think Japanese manga sales have anything to do with it. If they did, it would be the Big 1 with One Piece. The other 2 don't come near in terms of sales there. Again, ''the Big 3'' is used by western fans because [see above]. If you say ''Big 3'' in Japan, they won't know what you're talking about.
519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Cincinnati, OH
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
Pokemon
Digimon
Monsuno

Not Mean Big Fat Smelly Gluttony'
He Fight Full Metal - He Go Home.
6302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/15/13

Kurodenki wrote:
Bleach is long long long gone.
I don't think Japanese manga sales have anything to do with it. If they did, it would be the Big 1 with One Piece. The other 2 don't come near in terms of sales there. Again, ''the Big 3'' is used by western fans because [see above]. If you say ''Big 3'' in Japan, they won't know what you're talking about.

this is true, but the likely hood that any Japanese people actually come to this site is very very low... practically zero.. in fact I'm pretty sure it's zero. Point being that this overall question isn't really directed towards them. Just primarily English speaking countries that have access to this site. Because most of them understand the concept of the big 3.

Also, I'm not asking what manga would you replace the big 3 with right now, I'm asking when these 3 end, which they will, at some point, what currently ongoing manga would you consider the top of the top. I would really hope that instead of rereading one piece naruot and bleach over people actually look for new manga to read. Eventually the big three will no longer be the big three because they will no longer be around. Sure they will always be great manga, but they will be over and people will have moved on to other manga.

Also, I am strictly speaking manga here, any other media is off topic.
40534 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/15/13 , edited 8/15/13

Axceed wrote:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/30-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-02/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series/2013-first-half

Bleach is long long long gone.

Also it amazes me how much sales HxH has racked up despite all that hiatus.

I would also like to take this chance to promote "Terra Formars"


Those are total sales, not by vol. Sometimes a manga got big total sale jump for 1 year because of anime. Watch Attack on Titans get #2 in total sales this year because people are buying the old vols

Bleach still doing very well if you look at it by vol.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/50-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2012

yeah, the big three are OP, Naruto, and Hunter X Hunter. or Kimi ni Todoke if you count shoujo.
zesire 
26570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / florida
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
Well for manga sites...I can see

Toriko (I Haven't read it but I heard its on that level and Jump is already pushing it to be up there when they made the crossover OVA)
Hunter x hunter (Just deserves to be big 3 already..)
Attack on Titan....The manga is just as crazy as the anime, but its monthly so we have a problem there
Fairy tail was demeed number 4 since it came out honestly. Tried to make it the Big 4 haha.
Nothing else comes to mind..Magi has a good run but it just doesnt give me that weekly OMFG WE TALKING About this type stuff.
A Sports Manga hitting the Big 3 that would be an amazing shock. Because Kuroko No Basket is one of my favorites on the list anyway
101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 8/15/13
I think D. Gray-Man could be very popular if it was regularly updated. Hoshino is very ill. So, she only updates every few months, and now the manga is on hiatus. But, it does seem like a popular manga despite that, and could be better if it wasn't so delayed.
151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/16/13
Big 3 is a term that purely donates popularity. Obviously, so regardless of personal opinions and all that. If the Big 3 were to suddenly stop 'right now' as phrased in the original post. I would say this.

Attack on Titan (While I doubt it'll last as long as Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc...it'd still be in the Big 3 for the duration of its existence... a lot of people in a lot of places are going crazy over it as we speak even now.)
Fairy Tail (A lot of people have already agreed on this it seems in here, so I don't think I need to explain my reasoning behind it. Again, look at popularity)

...honestly, I'm not quite sure right now what would be #3 with those two at this current moment. Might think of something later. HunterxHunter as many have suggested perhaps, but yet again, those hiatus' are hurting that prospect badly. (And I haven't even seen it)
51080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/16/13
i agree that those 3 are the "big 3" at the moment, but the top 3 climbers if u ask me are...

1. Fairy Tail (if they choose to continue)
2. Hajime No Ippo (if they choose to continue)
3. Yu Yu Hakusho (once again, if it would continue ^^)
11412 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/16/13
1. kuroko no basket
2. attack on titan
3. magi
9055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/16/13
Fairy Tail
Attack on Titan
Recorder And Randsell


Okay, the last one was a joke because I simply have no idea what else could take the place.
10266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Dark Continent
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
Title of thread:

If the big 3 weren't the big 3, who would be?


Question on first post:

FalseDetective wrote:

BIG QUESTION: If the big 3 were to end right now. What manga do you think would take their place?


And now:

FalseDetective wrote:

this is true, but the likely hood that any Japanese people actually come to this site is very very low... practically zero.. in fact I'm pretty sure it's zero. Point being that this overall question isn't really directed towards them. Just primarily English speaking countries that have access to this site. Because most of them understand the concept of the big 3.

Also, I'm not asking what manga would you replace the big 3 with right now, I'm asking when these 3 end, which they will, at some point, what currently ongoing manga would you consider the top of the top. I would really hope that instead of rereading one piece naruot and bleach over people actually look for new manga to read. Eventually the big three will no longer be the big three because they will no longer be around. Sure they will always be great manga, but they will be over and people will have moved on to other manga.

Also, I am strictly speaking manga here, any other media is off topic.


Okay... Let's say I answered 2 out of 3. . I even kinda answered the 3rd too before you asked.

Anyway, as for why I mentioned Japanese people, I was talking to Axceed, and only used it as an example as to why manga sales don't give you Big 3 status since the term is only used in western fandom because of the popularity of the franchise, especially the anime, there.

And you can't say you're strictly speaking manga if you wanna compare them to the Big 3. As I said, these manga became popular in the west, where the term ''Big 3'' originates and is only used, because of the anime first, then manga, movies, games, toys, etc... If it was only through manga and scanlations, we'd either have a Big 1 with One Piece or a Big 12 or something...

I hope my 2 posts were sufficient to participate in answering all supposed questions.
16048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 8/17/13 , edited 8/17/13
Gintama, Shingeki no Kyojin, HunterxHunter, Beelzebub, Toriko, Magi, Kuroko no Basuke or Fairy Tail. I think Assassination Classroom could become very big in the future if it'll be a long story. It's already really popular in Japan.

Even though I don't really like the last three I mentioned that much, especially not Fairy Tail, I think every manga I mentioned is up there. That is if we're talking about the possible replacements for the Western Big 3.

It would be totally different for Japan because Bleach isn't even that popular there anymore and there are other really popular mangas that aren't even that popular/known/scanlated in the West..
2849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / San Carlos city
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
Gintama, hunterXhunter and fairytail
9148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
AoA, HxH (if it ever came off hiatus) and it should be Claymore but instead it's Toriko.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.