First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Crunchyroll to stream Monty Oum's RWBY.
36175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / England
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
Will this be avaliable in the UK?
18698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
It's surprisingly good so far. I like the character interaction and humor, anyway. Maybe it's because I went into it without high expectations, but I came out genuinely entertained.
The Wise Wizard
79599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/17/13

Panda-Lily wrote:

Will this be avaliable in the UK?

I take it you missed the "WORLDWIDE" in the announcement in the first message. (This one doesn't even have the usual "except Japan" addendum, for obvious reasons).

Myki52 
59571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
62 / F / LA CA and out of...
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
I'm not a big fan of gamer animation. It seems do unnatural, especially when the hands are used. That said, this is a refreshing hodge podge of fantasy references and literary homages. I was hooked when the first villain looked Alex From A Clockwork Orange. Not bad for Texas based computer game producers.

I love when Crunchy Roll expands their horizons!
5987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/17/13 , edited 8/17/13

arc_salvo wrote:


Tuskus wrote:

RWBY isn't anime, and more importantly it isn't even good.


Well I agree that it isn't anime, but it is anime-style so it kind of fits. As for it not being good... I find it mediocre. Not great, not horribly bad, but not something I enjoy watching a lot. I have to be honest, I'm really indifferent to this announcement. I may watch RWBY because it's more convenient for it to be on CR than having to track it down and watch it on its original site, but odds are I probably won't do more than skim a few episodes if even that.




There's always someone who comes to these articles and proclaims what 'is' and 'isn't' anime. In this case you're both wrong. Not about your opinions of course, but about whether or not this is anime. 'Anime' is 'Animation'. You can stomp your feet, and hold your breath all you want, but that fact will never change.

EDIT: Oh 'arc_salvo' do you know how weird it is to say something is 'anime-styled'? It's like saying something is 'animation-styled', or 'cartoon-styled'. Or writing a novel and saying it's 'book-styled'. Or maybe like making a pot and saying it's 'vase-styled'. It doesn't make any sense.
12932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Limbo
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
I'm going to be blunt here - I'm not fond of RWBY so far. The concept itself is fairly interesting, but the stiff 3D animation and bad voiceovers are turning me away from the series. I'll keep watching for hopes of improvement, but so far this is not a series I can see myself recommending to others.
Tarya 
47511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Glen Allen, Virgi...
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
Fantastic! Couldn't have made my day any better!

Well, maybe if I was given a Klondike bar. But I am not greedy.
84 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / evanston IL
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
but what if you already watch it on rooster teeth? where its from? originally?
30695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Near Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 8/17/13



There's always someone who comes to these articles and proclaims what 'is' and 'isn't' anime. In this case you're both wrong. Not about your opinions of course, but about whether or not this is anime. 'Anime' is 'Animation'. You can stomp your feet, and hold your breath all you want, but that fact will never change.

EDIT: Oh 'arc_salvo' do you know how weird it is to say something is 'anime-styled'? It's like saying something is 'animation-styled', or 'cartoon-styled'. Or writing a novel and saying it's 'book-styled'. Or maybe like making a pot and saying it's 'vase-styled'. It doesn't make any sense.


Just really briefly, since I don't want to derail this post, let me just say that I find that Anime for many if not most people doesn't refer to cartoons in general but rather Japanese cartoons. Anime-style doesn't sound funny to me and it makes perfect sense, because Anime is a genre of cartoon as opposed to referring to all cartoons in general. I find most people agree and that people like you are the exception actually.

79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Venice Beach, CA
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
No more ads on RoosterTeeth now?
5987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/18/13 , edited 8/18/13

arc_salvo wrote:




There's always someone who comes to these articles and proclaims what 'is' and 'isn't' anime. In this case you're both wrong. Not about your opinions of course, but about whether or not this is anime. 'Anime' is 'Animation'. You can stomp your feet, and hold your breath all you want, but that fact will never change.

EDIT: Oh 'arc_salvo' do you know how weird it is to say something is 'anime-styled'? It's like saying something is 'animation-styled', or 'cartoon-styled'. Or writing a novel and saying it's 'book-styled'. Or maybe like making a pot and saying it's 'vase-styled'. It doesn't make any sense.


Just really briefly, since I don't want to derail this post, let me just say that I find that Anime for many if not most people doesn't refer to cartoons in general but rather Japanese cartoons. Anime-style doesn't sound funny to me and it makes perfect sense, because Anime is a genre of cartoon as opposed to referring to all cartoons in general. I find most people agree and that people like you are the exception actually.



Anime is not a genre. Comedy, Action, Horror, etc... Those things describe a genre. Anime is animation. And unless you travel around a tight little circle of like-minded people such as yourself, than you wouldn't know, but most people have no idea what 'anime' even means. Those who do are like me. We believe that anime means animation. There are people like you who feel like anime is something that should remain pure and 'Japanese only'.

Seriously. In this whole post I believe there are only 2 people saying this isn't anime. I haven't checked lately, but 2 isn't 'most'.
52054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 8/18/13
Isn't Monty Oum that same person who did Dead Fantasy, or am I smokin' stuff? Cause, I am a huge fan of Final Fantasy Characters fighting Dead or Alive characters. Huge fan. That shizz is awesome. I'm very happy to see this here on CR, though. Thanks, guys. ;3
67156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Atlanta, GA
Offline
Posted 8/18/13

Anime1Games wrote:
Anime is not a genre. Comedy, Action, Horror, etc... Those things describe a genre. Anime is animation. And unless you travel around a tight little circle of like-minded people such as yourself, than you wouldn't know, but most people have no idea what 'anime' even means. Those who do are like me. We believe that anime means animation. There are people like you who feel like anime is something that should remain pure and 'Japanese only'.

Seriously. In this whole post I believe there are only 2 people saying this isn't anime. I haven't checked lately, but 2 isn't 'most'.


It being Japanese is very much a part of "anime". I think it's silly when people try to say that anything animated counts as anime. Are you seriously going to tell me that if say, Cartoon Network ran an "anime" block and had zero Japanese content, you would still consider that an anime block because hey, anything animated is anime? If Crunchyroll had zero Japanese content but it was still animated content, you wouldn't find anything off about them calling themselves an anime site?

And for that matter if anything animated is anime, why aren't you guys upset about the insanely blatant Japanese bias on sites like this one and others that claim to cover anime yet basically have coverage and content that clearly shows they're of the opinion that if it isn't Japanese or copying the Japanese style, then it doesn't count?

I can never tell if the anime has nothing to do with Japan crowd are idiots or just trolling.
11184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Cincinnati, OH
Offline
Posted 8/18/13 , edited 8/18/13
I watched up to episode 3 to give it a fair chance. Does anyone else feel this cheap CGI animation lacks the ability to even be Anime? PBS Sunday AM cartoons are written better and have higher quality CGI. I know it's to each his/her own, but IMHO, this show doesn't deserve to be listed on CR.

Otherwise, CR is the best Anime site on the planet, and the best subscription for my hard earned $. I dropped Hulu Plus when I found CR. :)

FYI: I also consider "Anime" to only be Japanese. All else are 'wanna be's' and plain Cartoons. My 2 cents
5987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/18/13

sickVisionz wrote:


Anime1Games wrote:
Anime is not a genre. Comedy, Action, Horror, etc... Those things describe a genre. Anime is animation. And unless you travel around a tight little circle of like-minded people such as yourself, than you wouldn't know, but most people have no idea what 'anime' even means. Those who do are like me. We believe that anime means animation. There are people like you who feel like anime is something that should remain pure and 'Japanese only'.

Seriously. In this whole post I believe there are only 2 people saying this isn't anime. I haven't checked lately, but 2 isn't 'most'.


It being Japanese is very much a part of "anime". I think it's silly when people try to say that anything animated counts as anime. Are you seriously going to tell me that if say, Cartoon Network ran an "anime" block and had zero Japanese content, you would still consider that an anime block because hey, anything animated is anime? If Crunchyroll had zero Japanese content but it was still animated content, you wouldn't find anything off about them calling themselves an anime site?

And for that matter if anything animated is anime, why aren't you guys upset about the insanely blatant Japanese bias on sites like this one and others that claim to cover anime yet basically have coverage and content that clearly shows they're of the opinion that if it isn't Japanese or copying the Japanese style, then it doesn't count?

I can never tell if the anime has nothing to do with Japan crowd are idiots or just trolling.


I wouldn't be talking about bias if I were you. You do know the whole argument about 'anime' being Japan only, is in itself, very biased. Your argument either means you have to be a particular race, or you have to come from a particular country in order to call something animated 'anime'. I mean if you like to flaunt your bigotry around that's up to you, but don't expect everyone to stoop to that level and start acting like a bigot themselves.

Also anime is not a style! And it's certainly not 'Japanese-styled' either. These arguments make me question whether or not people like yourselves are just idiots or just trolling (that sounds familiar). What do you think about video games? The first video game was made in 1947, in America. Does that mean that Japan is copying our 'American-style' of video games? Is every video game they make considered fake? Are they fakers!? Do they have the right to call their stuff video games? Video games are considered art now, so are they just copying us?

You see bigotry and ignorance (some can argue are the same thing) can go both ways.

You know it's funny how anal retentive people are about this subject, when the Japanese aren't. I mean it's hilarious how more so-called 'anime fans' are against others using the word 'anime' and Japan doesn't seem to care. Sure some are bigots over there, but I've never heard anyone from Japan say that no one other than them can make this stuff. In fact some people over there are afraid some countries might over shadow their anime industry!

Actually I do admit one director did use the term 'fake anime'. 'Shinichi Watanabe', He of course was talking about pirating, not the race of the person who just happens to be drawing anime.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.