First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Jesus, His Impact
21386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Amegakure
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
24725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
The only reference I didn't get was the medical one. But whatever. What do any of those pictures have to do with Jesus? It's just a pose.
14619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Online
Posted 8/17/13
Which impact? Second? Third?

The typo of obesity causing major fast food companies is a nice bit of unintentional wisdom, at least. Otherwise this seems like kind of a forced meme.
16626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
This could have been handled better.
The connection to religion makes it seem targeted to a religious audience and I almost skipped this thread because of it.
And I didn't agree with half of the images.
But the message as I received it is that children are suffering because of other people's wrong doings.
But then children are pretty powerless and it's almost always going to be someone else's fault/responsibility.
So it's redundant, especially when the kids aren't the only victims of these crimes.
18902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
What does Jesus have to do with selling organs on the black market, having free guns, or fast food chains and obesity?
12393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/17/13

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


westnyorai wrote:

I really don't think it's that powerful of an image. After all I had to read the description under the image to actually get what the heck most of them were about. :unsure:


Agreed. I did figure out the last one easy enough but I don't agree with the last one anyway so it makes no difference.


I don't want to start an argument, I just want to throw the idea out there that an art form can still have power even if you need to read a description to fully understand it (as was the case for me).

Just to cite another example, I would point to program music, which without exposition, would just be pretty songs, but with the explanation, they become a story and a message. Sometimes captions and even titles are a part of a piece of art.

As for the image itself, I think it's a good way to arouse interest in child suffering. Though, again, I agree that the last one's placement alongside the others is somewhat dubious.

I think both this image and the title of this thread can give wrong ideas. I first got the incorrect idea that these acts were somehow being blamed on Jesus (or religion) when they're just meant to bring attention to serious issues befalling children. That's a message I think we can all agree on (regardless of our opinions on Jesus).
26315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Online
Posted 8/17/13

seekerperson7 wrote:


justanotherguy_2005 wrote:


westnyorai wrote:

I really don't think it's that powerful of an image. After all I had to read the description under the image to actually get what the heck most of them were about. :unsure:


Agreed. I did figure out the last one easy enough but I don't agree with the last one anyway so it makes no difference.


I don't want to start an argument, I just want to throw the idea out there that an art form can still have power even if you need to read a description to fully understand it (as was the case for me).

Just to cite another example, I would point to program music, which without exposition, would just be pretty songs, but with the explanation, they become a story and a message. Sometimes captions and even titles are a part of a piece of art.

As for the image itself, I think it's a good way to arouse interest in child suffering. Though, again, I agree that the last one's placement alongside the others is somewhat dubious.

I think both this image and the title of this thread can give wrong ideas. I first got the incorrect idea that these acts were somehow being blamed on Jesus (or religion) when they're just meant to bring attention to serious issues befalling children. That's a message I think we can all agree on (regardless of our opinions on Jesus).


No argument being started. I didn't really clarify what I meant but I only agreed on the part of it not being all that powerful of an image, which is a personal opinion each person who sees it will make, as well as the part of needing to read the description to understand most of them. Needing the description may be what made him feel it isn't powerful but to me it just lacked anything all that special. I think this won't get the message across that it is really trying to all that much largely because many people these days seek to be offended by almost anything and will pick it apart and focus on anything but its intended message.
12393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/17/13

justanotherguy_2005 wrote:

No argument being started. I didn't really clarify what I meant but I only agreed on the part of it not being all that powerful of an image, which is a personal opinion each person who sees it will make, as well as the part of needing to read the description to understand most of them. Needing the description may be what made him feel it isn't powerful but to me it just lacked anything all that special. I think this won't get the message across that it is really trying to all that much largely because many people these days seek to be offended by almost anything and will pick it apart and focus on anything but its intended message.


Ah, ok. I'm really sorry about that then. Guess I misunderstood. I actually hold a position very similar to yours.

I really like your last sentence. So true - it seems all the rage these days to be offended over little things and take opinions out of context. But to be fair, it seems to me that artists (especially modern artists) often go out of their way to offend people in order to be controversial and "avante-garde". Not saying that's happening here, but I think it does happen a lot in general lol
26315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Toledo
Online
Posted 8/17/13

seekerperson7 wrote:


justanotherguy_2005 wrote:

No argument being started. I didn't really clarify what I meant but I only agreed on the part of it not being all that powerful of an image, which is a personal opinion each person who sees it will make, as well as the part of needing to read the description to understand most of them. Needing the description may be what made him feel it isn't powerful but to me it just lacked anything all that special. I think this won't get the message across that it is really trying to all that much largely because many people these days seek to be offended by almost anything and will pick it apart and focus on anything but its intended message.


Ah, ok. I'm really sorry about that then. Guess I misunderstood. I actually hold a position very similar to yours.

I really like your last sentence. So true - it seems all the rage these days to be offended over little things and take opinions out of context. But to be fair, it seems to me that artists (especially modern artists) often go out of their way to offend people in order to be controversial and "avante-garde". Not saying that's happening here, but I think it does happen a lot in general lol


No need to apologize. There was never an issue and so I was just letting you know. =P The misunderstanding was caused by me not being clear in my original post anyway.

You are right though that artists lately do that a lot. I don't really get it since if you put your message in such a negative light people will almost always just pass over it completely. I guess more media attention does always get given to negative things rather than positive so it might be worth the risk sometimes. /shrug
39745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 8/17/13
I have seen this before, but I think it is a little off. The obesity issue is much more complicated than they're making it seem and honestly has very little to do with fast food marketing and much more to do with the cost of healthy foods paired with the amount which lower income parents need to work(so they don't have the time or energy for cooking healthy meals). Yes, if there were no fast food places scattered about, people would eat less of it, but most of those people would still be eating unhealthy, sodium drenched, packaged foods.

That aside, the main point of these has nothing to do with religion(aside from the molestation one). The symbolism here is that the children are being crucified by the adults in question. They're taking things which are largely invisible and making it uncomfortably visible. I'm still not sure I completely appreciate this installment, but the message is pretty obvious.
121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Lehigh Valley
Offline
Posted 8/17/13

lifeincircuit wrote:

I have seen this before, but I think it is a little off. The obesity issue is much more complicated than they're making it seem and honestly has very little to do with fast food marketing and much more to do with the cost of healthy foods paired with the amount which lower income parents need to work(so they don't have the time or energy for cooking healthy meals). Yes, if there were no fast food places scattered about, people would eat less of it, but most of those people would still be eating unhealthy, sodium drenched, packaged foods.

That aside, the main point of these has nothing to do with religion(aside from the molestation one). The symbolism here is that the children are being crucified by the adults in question. They're taking things which are largely invisible and making it uncomfortably visible. I'm still not sure I completely appreciate this installment, but the message is pretty obvious.


I was about to say the same thing you did.
You're a smart one

But you're exactly right. The very obvious symbolism here is the crucifixion of the innocent children by the underlying evil of the adults.
The images might not be tasteful, but then again, they're all distasteful subjects.
47598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
99 / F / Neverwhere
Offline
Posted 8/17/13 , edited 8/17/13
I'm more interested in finding out if they really did nail those children onto those men.
52124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / nova
Offline
Posted 8/17/13

DKanonji wrote:


lifeincircuit wrote:

I have seen this before, but I think it is a little off. The obesity issue is much more complicated than they're making it seem and honestly has very little to do with fast food marketing and much more to do with the cost of healthy foods paired with the amount which lower income parents need to work(so they don't have the time or energy for cooking healthy meals). Yes, if there were no fast food places scattered about, people would eat less of it, but most of those people would still be eating unhealthy, sodium drenched, packaged foods.

That aside, the main point of these has nothing to do with religion(aside from the molestation one). The symbolism here is that the children are being crucified by the adults in question. They're taking things which are largely invisible and making it uncomfortably visible. I'm still not sure I completely appreciate this installment, but the message is pretty obvious.


I was about to say the same thing you did.
You're a smart one

But you're exactly right. The very obvious symbolism here is the crucifixion of the innocent children by the underlying evil of the adults.
The images might not be tasteful, but then again, they're all distasteful subjects.


I'm mostly on board with this interpretation. The imagery of the cross is used to imply sacrifice, the adult is used as the cross to signify the cause/source of that sacrifice. They also face the wall, which to me implies that the adults kind of "turn a blind eye" to the whole situation. They don't want watch it happen/choose to ignore it. The child is obviously the one sacrificed in all this.

I'm also going to agree that six is kind of weak. Obesity is an education issue; both parent and child alike. It doesn't really have much to do with human rights unless being fat is a human right?
Sogno- 
21396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/17/13

DKanonji wrote:
. The very obvious symbolism here is the crucifixion of the innocent children by the underlying evil of the adults.


well it wasn't obvious to me and I was racking my brain to figure it out, so thank you for simplifying that for us less intelligent ones. I still don't quite understand what Jesus's impact has to do with it other than the visualization of the cross though.
55086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 8/17/13

Sogno- wrote:

I still don't quite understand what Jesus's impact has to do with it other than the visualization of the cross though.



It's just a title I came up with to get me that hit thread.
It worked!



First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.