Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Most weakly developed anime protagonist
26010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 8/23/13
Generic Dark-Haired Guy ™. I'm a rebel. ... Well, usually, it's brown, but there have been times when it's blue, you're right.
1240 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / America
Offline
Posted 8/24/13
I would say tomoko from watamote

I don't ever think she will ever make any progress lol
88 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/24/13
I dunno, the least developed character I found was Kouichi Hayase from Linebarrels of Iron.
reasons being;
A) he suddenly knew how to drive a giant friggin' robot even though it was his first time seeing one
B) He's got a few good friends yet he refused to hang out with them for who knows why...
14493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/13 , edited 8/25/13

Felstalker wrote:

True, that seems to be the big deal.

I originally flt they had Eren be "Generic Brown haired" to trick people into reading, now it's turning him into a real character.

He doesn't have the benefit of amazing early character development like Mikasa does, she even got a flash back! Everything happening to her just has more impact, same with Jean and in a way Armin, altho Armins change is thanks to Eren every time.

Yeah, Armin X Eren, I don't have to fanfiction something that's already happening.
Mikasa? Character development? You must be joking. You say Eren has been static for the majority of the show, and that is true, but Mikasa has been static since episode 1. Really, tell me how she has changed since you first see her in the first episode.......she doesn't.

Here is a post I made about Mikasa in a different forum

Also, Eren's flashback was episode 1 and 2 when you think about it.

And to note, this is not me trying to say that Eren is in any way a well written character. I was just pointing out the Mikasa is less developed than Eren.
jbomb1 
12099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
Someone mentioned Kirito as being "too perfect" How about Akatsuki from Hagure Yuusha no Estetica? That guy is so perfect he makes me want to puke, and he has no development either. At the moment, I can't even remember why I stuck with that series, it must have been all the boobs.
44 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Germany-- on fore...
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
From the animes I've recently watched, Eren and Natsu seem to be the most underdeveloped characters. Hell, even Lucy, who is pretty much useless, has more development than Natsu. And Eren... there's really nothing exciting about him, other than the fact that he can turn into a Titan.

Mikasa also bores me, but a lot of people say she's so amazing?

I am still a fan of AoT and Fairy Tail though xD
8572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 8/25/13

ichigosr55 wrote:


Felstalker wrote:

True, that seems to be the big deal.

I originally flt they had Eren be "Generic Brown haired" to trick people into reading, now it's turning him into a real character.

He doesn't have the benefit of amazing early character development like Mikasa does, she even got a flash back! Everything happening to her just has more impact, same with Jean and in a way Armin, altho Armins change is thanks to Eren every time.

Yeah, Armin X Eren, I don't have to fanfiction something that's already happening.
Mikasa? Character development? You must be joking. You say Eren has been static for the majority of the show, and that is true, but Mikasa has been static since episode 1. Really, tell me how she has changed since you first see her in the first episode.......she doesn't.

Here is a post I made about Mikasa in a different forum

Also, Eren's flashback was episode 1 and 2 when you think about it.

And to note, this is not me trying to say that Eren is in any way a well written character. I was just pointing out the Mikasa is less developed than Eren.


Keep in mind that Development, and Dynamic characters arn't the same thing. They're often related, but they're not the same.

The audience knows Mikasa's reasons, goals, and limits. We know that in her past, she was just a simple girl with her family, after a series of events she's saved by Eren and given a reason to live. She learns that to survive, she's got to kill. That flashback episode really explained MIkasa's character to the current day. She's wholly devoted to Eren and defending him. This however doesn't make MIkasa a goal for Eren, in fact her goals include Eren. Erens reaction to Mikasa's overprotection is negative, he DOESN'T like how she does that, that's her negative trait. Eren doesn't feel close to Mikasa, he feels alienated. Mikasa's very strong and tough sure, but everybody's strengths are actually cover for their weaknesses. Mikasa is horrible in social situations, and others point it out. Her motivational speech sounds genuine, yet comes off as braggy to everybody there. They know she's not bragging, but she failed to motivate them, Jean recognized that and knows Mikasa well enough that she's really bad at well, feelings. Mikasa doesn't trust Eren, she simply wants to protect him. He's the goal in her life, and she ignores everything else in pursuit of this.

Mikasa's revelation after hearing the news that Eren died helped throw in how reliant she was on Eren, while being disconnected from him. Armin was shocked to the core, someone he personally knew had just died, in front of him no less. Mikasa was shocked as well, but not in the same way. She lost her goal in life, her one duty to protect someone was gone. She liked Eren and he was her closest friend, but she didn't form a social bond with him. His death was her failure, not her loss. When it turned out Eren was alive she did realized that her goal was still there. She retreated back into this single minded pursuit she had so carefully chosen for herself. The fact that Eren was alive only furthered her goals, not her self. Weighing the disconnect between Armin and Mikasa, they should all 3 be similar as they're a group, but they're all three far different.

When Eren attacked her as a Titan, it was more than not recognizing her. Eren doesn't know Mikasa very well. Compared to Armin, who was able to wake Eren up because HE know Eren just as well as Eren knows him. They had a connection, something MIkasa lacks with everybody else. They're close friends, but still distanced. More fuel to MIkasa's social failures. This gives MIkasa room to grow and become dynamic later in the story, she's set up just fine.

Eren just wants to kill titans. The secondary plot of Eren wanting to visit the world wasn't properly established and doesn't follow his goals one bit. Eren just wants to kill Titans, why he's interested in what they are is simply because the plot demands it of him. He needs to have a reason for what he's doing, else everything he goes through seems isolated, altho I'm expecting something big to show up before the season ends.

Those are my ideas on it at least.
14493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/13 , edited 8/25/13

Felstalker wrote:


ichigosr55 wrote:


Felstalker wrote:

True, that seems to be the big deal.

I originally flt they had Eren be "Generic Brown haired" to trick people into reading, now it's turning him into a real character.

He doesn't have the benefit of amazing early character development like Mikasa does, she even got a flash back! Everything happening to her just has more impact, same with Jean and in a way Armin, altho Armins change is thanks to Eren every time.

Yeah, Armin X Eren, I don't have to fanfiction something that's already happening.
Mikasa? Character development? You must be joking. You say Eren has been static for the majority of the show, and that is true, but Mikasa has been static since episode 1. Really, tell me how she has changed since you first see her in the first episode.......she doesn't.

Here is a post I made about Mikasa in a different forum

Also, Eren's flashback was episode 1 and 2 when you think about it.

And to note, this is not me trying to say that Eren is in any way a well written character. I was just pointing out the Mikasa is less developed than Eren.


Keep in mind that Development, and Dynamic characters arn't the same thing. They're often related, but they're not the same.

The audience knows Mikasa's reasons, goals, and limits. We know that in her past, she was just a simple girl with her family, after a series of events she's saved by Eren and given a reason to live. She learns that to survive, she's got to kill. That flashback episode really explained MIkasa's character to the current day. She's wholly devoted to Eren and defending him. This however doesn't make MIkasa a goal for Eren, in fact her goals include Eren. Erens reaction to Mikasa's overprotection is negative, he DOESN'T like how she does that, that's her negative trait. Eren doesn't feel close to Mikasa, he feels alienated. Mikasa's very strong and tough sure, but everybody's strengths are actually cover for their weaknesses. Mikasa is horrible in social situations, and others point it out. Her motivational speech sounds genuine, yet comes off as braggy to everybody there. They know she's not bragging, but she failed to motivate them, Jean recognized that and knows Mikasa well enough that she's really bad at well, feelings. Mikasa doesn't trust Eren, she simply wants to protect him. He's the goal in her life, and she ignores everything else in pursuit of this.

Mikasa's revelation after hearing the news that Eren died helped throw in how reliant she was on Eren, while being disconnected from him. Armin was shocked to the core, someone he personally knew had just died, in front of him no less. Mikasa was shocked as well, but not in the same way. She lost her goal in life, her one duty to protect someone was gone. She liked Eren and he was her closest friend, but she didn't form a social bond with him. His death was her failure, not her loss. When it turned out Eren was alive she did realized that her goal was still there. She retreated back into this single minded pursuit she had so carefully chosen for herself. The fact that Eren was alive only furthered her goals, not her self. Weighing the disconnect between Armin and Mikasa, they should all 3 be similar as they're a group, but they're all three far different.

When Eren attacked her as a Titan, it was more than not recognizing her. Eren doesn't know Mikasa very well. Compared to Armin, who was able to wake Eren up because HE know Eren just as well as Eren knows him. They had a connection, something MIkasa lacks with everybody else. They're close friends, but still distanced. More fuel to MIkasa's social failures. This gives MIkasa room to grow and become dynamic later in the story, she's set up just fine.

Eren just wants to kill titans. The secondary plot of Eren wanting to visit the world wasn't properly established and doesn't follow his goals one bit. Eren just wants to kill Titans, why he's interested in what they are is simply because the plot demands it of him. He needs to have a reason for what he's doing, else everything he goes through seems isolated, altho I'm expecting something big to show up before the season ends.

Those are my ideas on it at least.
I am confused as to how the majority of this post relates to what I said. This is all stuff I am aware of and am not refuting. What I am saying is that she has not progress as a character. Also, saying protecting Eren is her goal is not necessarily accurate. The reason she wishes for Eren to be safe is because he is the last bit of family she has. After her parents were killed and she was saved, she was confused and didn't know what to do. Eren told her she could live with his family and then Eren and his family became Mikasa's family. Eren's mother was killed and his father is no where to be found. So when she thought Eren was dead, she didn't think "I failed" she explicitly states that she lost her family again. Mikasa shares a bond with Eren just like Armin does, but it is different. Mikasa and Eren are the brother and sister (she refers to him as "family" multiple times throughout the show), the bond that Eren and Armin share is their interest in the outside world. That is why Armin was more suited to talk Eren into waking up in episode 12. Not because they have a stronger bond, but because they share a similar goal in life. Another thing. when I said Mikasa was Eren's goal, I meant that Eren sees her as an obstacle. She is better than him in every way and is always (unintentionally) belittling him and treating him like a kid (like an older sister or mother would do). He wishes to be independent because that is the only way he can kill them titans himself. This is show at the end of episode 3 when he balances on the rope.
8572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 8/25/13 , edited 8/25/13
It's mostly me over-typing my thoughts.

Being Developed and being Dynamic are different things, MIkasa is Developed, not dynamic.

You can't progress a character if you've not developed them yet, such is the case with Eren. Everything he does simply shows us how little we actually know about him. He's following the plot as closely as he's told, usually by senior officers.
1659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Planet Earth
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
I would say Ouma Shu from Guilty Crown. I can see that they tried to develop him a little with the whole dictator thing going on but honestly that was all poorly portrayed. I just hated him more as a result. He only cares for Inori, should have noticed Hare more!
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.