First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Three things I learned about Japan from watching Anime
11397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Land of Ooo
Offline
Posted 8/23/13

eightcar wrote:


3) Highest per capita of nosebleeds in the world


This. This, this, this.
27741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 8/23/13
Three things I learned from watching anime:
1) Women are constantly touching each other's breasts, especially at school or in the bath.
2) Everyone non-Japanese kisses strangers on the mouth while meeting them.
3) If you punch people hard enough, their clothes disintegrate.
22162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / US
Offline
Posted 8/24/13
Back when I started watching SoL anime by the dozen, I sent a note to my "otaku-senpai" co-worker about my observations:

1. There's nothing more special in Japan that being a highschool sophomore

2. The cultural festival is the definite highlight of the year, even though all anyone ever does is maid cafes

3. Your classmates are your comrades-in-arms against all the other classes at your grade level

4. All the cool kids are in class 2-C. Your arch-nemesese are always in 2-D.

5. Japanese teenagers are completely incapable of expressing their romantic interest in each other; if they do, it's always with a letter, requesting an assignation on the rooftop.

Speaking of, that gives us this bonus point: All Japanese highschools have cool rooftops open to the students, without supervision--though, ominously, they are surrounded by suicide fences. Subtle social commentary there I suppose...

----

Later, I added one:

6. There is no worse death sentence than to move "overseas." Leaving Japan is equivalent to leaving the earth.


Since then I could add about two dozen more tropes, but they've been covered here. Though I'll expand on one that was mentioned, by ripping off someone else's note from the Kiniro Mosaic board:

7. It's perfectly normal to have pink, blue, purple, and green hair as a Japanese schoolgirl. But blonde hair is unbelievably exotic.
12427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / In
Offline
Posted 3/11/14 , edited 3/11/14
hehe lots of good stuff

oh guns are illegal unless your super rich then you can drive a tank down main street and no one will notice
7678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / My Chair, OH
Online
Posted 3/11/14
1) If you are the one doing important things you have a 99.9% chance of having plot immunity

2) Your going to get a harem, face it, you just need to be at the center of attention and it'll happen

3) Panties, panties everywhere

*I take no responsibility for repeats/bad examples
36482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Balmer, Murlin
Offline
Posted 3/11/14
A good portion of Japanese parents are completely incompetent at actually being parents.

Another good portion of Japanese parents die tragically before their children grow up.

Dying your hair blonde is the equivalent of declaring war on all those around you.

Every cultural festival is special, even when they're all the same.

There is an epidemic of school closings in Japan. (actually true)

Despite the epidemic of school closings, students under the age of 18 make up the majority of Japan's population. (not true)

There is no life after high school.

Bitchy girls are the cutest.

Japanese girls grope each other all the time.

Gravity does not apply to a Japanese woman's chest.

Japanese kids cannot help but be attracted to their sibling of the opposite sex.
41337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / KS, USA
Online
Posted 3/11/14

Aokidanza wrote:

A good portion of Japanese parents are completely incompetent at actually being parents.

Another good portion of Japanese parents die tragically before their children grow up.

Dying your hair blonde is the equivalent of declaring war on all those around you.

Every cultural festival is special, even when they're all the same.

There is an epidemic of school closings in Japan. (actually true)

Despite the epidemic of school closings, students under the age of 18 make up the majority of Japan's population. (not true)

There is no life after high school.

Bitchy girls are the cutest.

Japanese girls grope each other all the time.

Gravity does not apply to a Japanese woman's chest.

Japanese kids cannot help but be attracted to their sibling of the opposite sex.


I was pretty much going to say everything here...

Add in:

If you have naturally blonde hair, you are automatically a foreigner and the talk of your school. (Probably actually true if it happens)

If you are a foreigner, no matter your hair color, you automatically know fluent Japanese, and are commented on how good it is. (True, at least on the being commented all the time)

Japanese Middle and High Schoolers go on numerous school/club trips.

Japanese women's chests not only defy gravity, but have their own gravitational mass/field thus making sure a shirt is as tight as possible.

Hot Springs and Public Bathhouses are everywhere in Japan. (Not actually sure if this is true or not?)

Hierarchy is big in Japan, if you are younger, you immediately are meant to listen to anyone older, even if its just by a few months to a few years.

Finally, and I was informed this is quite true, Japanese walk practically everywhere, or use public transportation. Mostly because they have the public transportation to get practically everywhere and can not drive until over 18.
1503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 3/11/14 , edited 3/11/14
1. If you are sick and live alone, the person who has a crush on you/you have a crush on will inevitably show up at your house and attempt to cook rice porridge.

2. You have a higher chance of being associated with the supernatural if you are a middle school or high school boy, and shorter than everyone else in the school. Bonus points for huge spiky hair.

3. The gangster everyone's super afraid of is actually a huge woobie and may or may not have a habit of picking up stray animals on rainy days.

4. The hot aloof girl in your class is either involved with the supernatural, or a closet otaku.

5. If you are rich, one or both of your parents are going to be dead or neglectful
19782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Village Hidde...
Online
Posted 3/11/14

Stonewolfe wrote:


Aokidanza wrote:

A good portion of Japanese parents are completely incompetent at actually being parents.

Another good portion of Japanese parents die tragically before their children grow up.

Dying your hair blonde is the equivalent of declaring war on all those around you.

Every cultural festival is special, even when they're all the same.

There is an epidemic of school closings in Japan. (actually true)

Despite the epidemic of school closings, students under the age of 18 make up the majority of Japan's population. (not true)

There is no life after high school.

Bitchy girls are the cutest.

Japanese girls grope each other all the time.

Gravity does not apply to a Japanese woman's chest.

Japanese kids cannot help but be attracted to their sibling of the opposite sex.


I was pretty much going to say everything here...

Add in:

If you have naturally blonde hair, you are automatically a foreigner and the talk of your school. (Probably actually true if it happens)

If you are a foreigner, no matter your hair color, you automatically know fluent Japanese, and are commented on how good it is. (True, at least on the being commented all the time)

Japanese Middle and High Schoolers go on numerous school/club trips.

Japanese women's chests not only defy gravity, but have their own gravitational mass/field thus making sure a shirt is as tight as possible.

Hot Springs and Public Bathhouses are everywhere in Japan. (Not actually sure if this is true or not?)

Hierarchy is big in Japan, if you are younger, you immediately are meant to listen to anyone older, even if its just by a few months to a few years.

Finally, and I was informed this is quite true, Japanese walk practically everywhere, or use public transportation. Mostly because they have the public transportation to get practically everywhere and can not drive until over 18.

So true
1136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Connecticut, USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/14 , edited 3/11/14
Well here is what I've learned:

1) when you leave Japan there is always, and I mean always, someone who conveniently knows fluent Japanese even in the most rural areas

2) its casual to have blue, green, purple, pink hair etc. but when you have blonde hair... they automatically assume your part of the yakuza

3) if you are a Japanese school girl you automatically have luxurious flowing hair

4) itadakimasu~

5) a relationship usually advances due to one partner being sick, going on a school trip, or going to a hot spring

6) green haired girls are 9 times out of 10 super naive/stupid types

7) people actually use the word 'dense'

8) the female main character is going to be late for the first day of school and shall run there with toast in her mouth

9) when you run with toast in your mouth your bound to get hurt (and meet your love interest)

23048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/14
The parents of main character are either always on a business trip, enjoying themselves without their children, missing, dead, or unknown. If its not both then its most times father.

The male main character would always have more than one sister that gives him hell, older than him, and give him somewhat negative views on older women.

Rich girls have that high narcissistic laugh.

Girls who have a male phobia are viciously brutal and shy.

When females accidentally walk in on a guy nude, the guy gets hit and blamed for no reason.

10059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 3/11/14 , edited 3/11/14
If you're from the USA or Britain when reverting to your own language you will magically adapt a Japanese accent.

All English girls are busty blondes and very rich and high class.
12427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / In
Offline
Posted 3/11/14

qualeshia3 wrote:

The parents of main character are either always on a business trip, enjoying themselves without their children, missing, dead, or unknown. If its not both then its most times father.

The male main character would always have more than one sister that gives him hell, older than him, and give him somewhat negative views on older women.

Rich girls have that high narcissistic laugh.

Girls who have a male phobia are viciously brutal and shy.

When females accidentally walk in on a guy nude, the guy gets hit and blamed for no reason.




Girls who have a male phobia are viciously brutal and shy until the nice but hot guy smiles at them then it seems to melt away

1503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 3/11/14 , edited 3/11/14
If you are chinese you automatically know kung fu, put aru at the end of every sentence, and if female, wear your hair in two buns and a qipao.

Proper date etiquette demands you arrive hours before meeting time, then when your date arrives and asks you if you've been waiting long, you smile serenely and say, "Not at all, I just got here!"

23048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/11/14

uncletim wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

The parents of main character are either always on a business trip, enjoying themselves without their children, missing, dead, or unknown. If its not both then its most times father.

The male main character would always have more than one sister that gives him hell, older than him, and give him somewhat negative views on older women.

Rich girls have that high narcissistic laugh.

Girls who have a male phobia are viciously brutal and shy.

When females accidentally walk in on a guy nude, the guy gets hit and blamed for no reason.




Girls who have a male phobia are viciously brutal and shy until the nice but hot guy smiles at them then it seems to melt away




Yeah the girl slowly fall for the guy she constantly beats up and the guy falls for her too. Soon she'll get over her phobia which will take time and the guy goes through a heck of a lot of pain.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.