First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Kotaku columnist calls WataMote "The Most Mean-Spirited Anime I Have Ever Watched"
13603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 8/21/13
Article here: http://bit.ly/13GYFD8

Personally, I think anyone who labels the show as "mean spirited" just doesn't get it. He's right that it's a tragedy, a tragedy that too many of us can relate to.
76776 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 8/21/13
well... this anime in theory does happen in real life and we are laughing at someones misfortune (i am at least). I would assume it is mean spirited.
22580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/21/13
Talk about being to serious.. Jeeze..
13759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 8/21/13
EEeh, I see where they're coming from.

I find the show hilarious and what not, but also rather painful to watch. I don't see it's humor lasting all of 5 episodes if even, and I'm actually waiting for it's ending to get some small word of something awesome happening.

If the series is all about how sucky her life is, I'm not for it.

If the series is about how she is slowly brought out of the suck with the help of other people, be they like minded, indifferent, or completely opposite to her, THATS something I could watch.

Like how in "The world god only knows" Keima was perfectly fine with his situation, yet the underlying theme of the series involves him becoming less and less the unsociable gaming guy and more a person who interacts with the world. THAT is something I like, but despite the great humor and interesting plot, TWGoK did poorly in it's 2nd season as people lose interest if nothing different happens.

Ergo, 3rd Season of TWGoK skips ahead a full season of girls and moves into an over-arching Plot. The Goddesses Arc. I'm sitting here shouting "GIVE US WHAT YOU SKIPPED" while back in season 2 I was ready to give up as nothing interesting was happening.

WataMote better evolve past the jokes, as that'll only make the same jokes funnier.

You don't remain the same person throughout your life, her situation can't be nostalgic if you're currently in it.
That said, I do kinda want to keep watching, but right now it's reminding me a whole lot of Maria+Holic, and that show just spent the entire runtime using the heroine as a toilet. It was funny at first, but damn it there should be some give and take.
43801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 8/21/13
i don't understand how it is mean spirited at all wtf?

how is portraying a girl in a situation where it's unlikely she'll have a happy ending mean-spirited?

it's realistic.

The show is actually very witty and uses many techniques to get its point across. it's sad that someone chose to call it mean spirited.
I see a lot of satire and parody.
18771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alderaan
Offline
Posted 8/21/13

Felstalker wrote:

EEeh, I see where they're coming from.

I find the show hilarious and what not, but also rather painful to watch. I don't see it's humor lasting all of 5 episodes if even, and I'm actually waiting for it's ending to get some small word of something awesome happening.

If the series is all about how sucky her life is, I'm not for it.

If the series is about how she is slowly brought out of the suck with the help of other people, be they like minded, indifferent, or completely opposite to her, THATS something I could watch.

Like how in "The world god only knows" Keima was perfectly fine with his situation, yet the underlying theme of the series involves him becoming less and less the unsociable gaming guy and more a person who interacts with the world. THAT is something I like, but despite the great humor and interesting plot, TWGoK did poorly in it's 2nd season as people lose interest if nothing different happens.

Ergo, 3rd Season of TWGoK skips ahead a full season of girls and moves into an over-arching Plot. The Goddesses Arc. I'm sitting here shouting "GIVE US WHAT YOU SKIPPED" while back in season 2 I was ready to give up as nothing interesting was happening.

WataMote better evolve past the jokes, as that'll only make the same jokes funnier.

You don't remain the same person throughout your life, her situation can't be nostalgic if you're currently in it.
That said, I do kinda want to keep watching, but right now it's reminding me a whole lot of Maria+Holic, and that show just spent the entire runtime using the heroine as a toilet. It was funny at first, but damn it there should be some give and take.


Watamote doesn't "get better." I've read most of the manga that is out so far, and all it is , is about how pathetic Tomoko is. However, the one thing people seem to overlook is, her life doesn't suck. She sucks. If you actually watch her interactions with people, and there is even more of this in the manga, people are 90% of the time nice to her, even her brother doesn't maliciously do anything to her. Everything that goes wrong in Watamote, Tomoko does to her self. So this is not really a mean spirited show/manga, because no one is mean to Tomoko, she just goes about everything the wrong way and it ends up blowing up in her face, that is Watamote.
24160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / The Sarlacc Pit
Offline
Posted 8/21/13
For one, most comedy is based off of people misfortune, and for two, its a fucking anime. If I can't laugh at a fake character in a fake world with fake pitfalls, then what can I fucking laugh at?
Posted 8/21/13
I'd have to agree with what xxJing had to say about the anime. I will just throw in my opinion of how I feel when I watch it because really, I don't think it's an anime for the light hearted, but then I wonder what makes me want to watch more? I suppose it's more of a realistic anime and maybe that's what I don't like about it? I guess for some people their lives don't change at all that much and I think that's what the the underlying message to the anime is. I'm so used to watching anime with happy and good endings where the protagonist goes through a lot of change, but for me, she isn't really changing at all that much and it makes me feel bad for her, that's why I don't enjoy watching it. I'm not saying it's a bad anime, it's pretty good, but not in the sense that you will feel happy when watching it like you usually do when watching an anime. That is my opinion I suppose.
32384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 8/21/13

xxJing wrote:
However, the one thing people seem to overlook is, her life doesn't suck. She sucks.


You speak truth, Jing. *upvotes* I think that's what the Kotaku reviewer missed. Tomoko's problems are self-inflicted, and it's worth noting that most of us out here in the Watamote fan base like her anyway.
13759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 8/21/13
True, true.

But that doesn't fix the repetitiveness of it. It's a rather static line of failures.

But I do expect the manga adds more than just Tomoko solo-failing everything. Else it's just a weekly gag-type manga.

Gags can be funny, they can be popular, they can use the same jokes, but it won't last very long in anime if it doesn't do something more.
Bavalt 
14544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 8/21/13 , edited 8/21/13
... Am I the only one who actually doesn't see anything wrong with how things are playing out? The only 'tragedy' of this anime is that Tomoko doesn't know what she wants. People who really want to get popular have no trouble doing so. If you've spent all your life up until now being a hermit, then unless there are some really bizarre circumstances, you're just an introvert. Popularity is not something you should strive for, because it's almost definite that once you get it, you won't like it. The fact that she spends most of her time voluntarily going about her hobbies is proof that she prefers those hobbies over more social ones. She's alienating herself by trying too hard to be someone she's not, which comes off as extremely awkward, turning people off: if she calmed down and just did what she wants to do, she'd make friends more naturally. Sure, not all that many, but in her case, I can confidently say that she'd probably be happier with a relatively small number.

In short, I see nothing mean-spirited about Watamote. It's close-minded to think of Tomoko as a failure. I laugh at all of her antics, but not in a mean-spirited way. Like most people her age, she's just trying to figure out who she is, and having a hard time with it. She's a fundamentally decent person and interesting character who's just confused about what she wants from life. Her problem is not at all a serious one, and therefore, you shouldn't feel bad about laughing at it.
17824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/21/13

M1keymike1 wrote:

For one, most comedy is based off of people misfortune, and for two, its a fucking anime. If I can't laugh at a fake character in a fake world with fake pitfalls, then what can I fucking laugh at?


Thank you for stating my mind when I couldn't phrase it XD
6603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 8/21/13
I read this earlier. Apparently we all suck and are evil for laughing at Tomoko.

I sympathize with Tomoko but she also brings most of the shit on herself.
13728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/21/13
Putting aside the fact that some of his examples directly applied to me and thus made me feel like a pitiable freak who needs help, there are a few less personal issues that I have with this article.

I've put my points in spoilers because they're somewhat long.

Firstly,

Secondly

Finally

But above all
33490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 8/21/13 , edited 8/21/13
Hmmm... I don't know. I relate to Tomoko a lot, and I agree with the author of the article that social anxiety disorder is a serious condition.

When you can look at situations you've experienced with humor... it can help relax your mind... see one of the worst things about anxiety is... worrying about the anxiety itself... and this worry causes more social failures... which causes more social anxiety... which causes more worry about the social anxiety etc... (actually this seems to be Tomoko's biggest issue)

If you have anxiety... then worrying about the anxiety only makes things worse...

When I watch Watamote... I see the situations and the humorous light they are put in... I can relax about my own failures in social situations... ie: It isn't the end of the world that I failed in a social situation... or said something embarrassing in public... or acted weird etc...

So yes, in a way it is making light of a serious condition... but maybe that's not such a bad thing.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.