First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What will we watch?
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / (818)
Offline
Posted 8/26/13 , edited 8/26/13

hughjazz44 wrote:

But this is a Crunchyroll forum, guys. Why would you be here if you weren't using Crunchyroll?


Because /a/ pisses me off a lot plus i'm too old to be hanging around them. I thought coming here would change things but apparently it's not going to. SanCom is out of the question too as everyone at their forums are up-tight. Dannychoo.com is full of elitists and ANN has some of the most unorganized forums ever. I don't do Facebook and other social media networks alike, excluding Twitter which i only use for sports related tweeting. I will only use CR for backlogging anime that i cannot D/L anymore because of 0 seeders available. I also refuse to give CR my credit card info for their 30 day free trial, i don't wanna get screwed for something i didn't agree over. Most importantly, i'm poor. The only anime merchandise i buy are PVC and figures.
26542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33
Offline
Posted 8/26/13
Well, I can't condone illegal downloads, and to be honest, I don't know if I want you here because of it.
25569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 8/26/13

hughjazz44 wrote:

Well, I can't condone illegal downloads, and to be honest, I don't know if I want you here because of it.


Although it's entirely your decision as leader of this group, I would like to express my opinion about this. Honestly, why should it matter? We are all here because we share one thing in common. We all love anime. Why should it matter how we choose to view it? Yes, I'll agree that not supporting the industry is a bad habit, but at the end of the day, that's still his decision. Anime is not the most available thing on the market here in the US/Canada area, and sometimes these methods become necessity to some. Sometimes a series is just out of a person's price range. Not everyone has thousands of dollars at their disposal to spend on anime DVDs and box sets, and that's understandable.

I'm not trying to change how this group functions, or how it's exclusive to Crunchyroll. I'm merely trying to defend a fellow anime patron. I think we can agree that limiting and alienating our members because of their personal choices can only harm this group.
26542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33
Offline
Posted 8/26/13
The whole point of this group is to join the like-minded. He doesn't have to leave the Crunchyroll forum as a whole. And illegal downloads are hurtful to the industry. Especially for those who get everything legit. I'm not saying he needs to be arrested, but it's not a "bad habit", it's a violation of federal law and international copyright agreements. Although, tbh, I care less about the law part and more about my anime costing more because of people like him.

25569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 8/26/13
As much as I would love to continue this discussion, I'd honestly rather avoid it. Discussions like these usually cause a lot of drama. As I said earlier, it's entirely your decision on how to deal with this, and regardless of your choice, I don't plan to leave this group anytime soon. I just don't want to see us lose members over such a silly reason.
26542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33
Offline
Posted 8/26/13
You shouldn't be afraid to discuss anything.

The thing is, is that this situation is just like your civil rights: They are protected for you, unless they infringe upon the rights of others. i.e. You can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, and then say it's protected by your right to freedom of speech, because it infringes on the right of everyone else in the theater to their safety.

If you download, say, Bathing with Hinako, there is no licensee in North America for that. So the only way to see it would be to go to Japan. And even then, you might lose it in customs coming back (if they were being dicks or something). However, if you download Angel Beats, now you're costing me money indirectly, because that series is available legally from MANY sources. The sole argument is: I don't want to pay. And that just doesn't hold water. If everyone else has to pay, so should you.
25569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 8/26/13
I understand your viewpoint, and I'll agree entirely that piracy is damaging to the industry. But there's more to it than that.

An example. One of my favourite animes of all time, although just recently released, is Hataraku Maou-Sama. This anime is not available on Crunchyroll, but it's available on sites like Funimation and Hulu. However, for me, those sites don't stream for me because I'm outside of the US. So what legal alternative is there? There are no DVDs of this series, even in Japan. Do I ignore it entirely and miss out on a great show? Sure, I guess that's an option, but why would we actively decline something we seek so easily, especially if there is an easy alternative? As humans, it's in our very nature to pursue what we desperately seek. For me, illegal streaming sites came through, and now I'm a rather big fan of this series thanks to it. I also plan to actually invest money in it when I am able. I can understand that in the short run, it's damaging to the industry, but in the long-run, it could be beneficial, although there is no way to actually prove or predict that.

Anyways, the point I'm mostly trying to make is, the only reason for piracy being a valid alternative is because the industry itself makes it a valid alternative, either through poor service, high prices, or just region restricting goods and or services. The only way to effectively stop piracy is to offer better service than what pirate sites are offering.

I'd just like to make it clear that I also prefer to support the industry, even though I'm dirt poor. I only make about $20/month, and a large portion of that goes towards services like Crunchyroll and Netflix.
26542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33
Offline
Posted 8/26/13 , edited 8/26/13
If they don't stream to Canada, it's not licensed there. And like my above example, if no one is licensing it in your country, then all bets are pretty much off. If someone DOES own the license in your country, then you become a thief, pirate, what-have-you.

I'm not really sure how licenses work in Canada. I always figured Mexico and Canada were givens in North American publishing rights, but I must be wrong.

Also, you could always just be patient and wait. If Funimation is streaming it, then they obviously hold the license for it, which means DVDs/Blu-Rays will follow once their licensing terms allow it. That's what I always do. Patience is a virtue. And I KNOW that RightStuf ships to Canada.
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / (818)
Offline
Posted 8/27/13

hughjazz44 wrote:

Well, I can't condone illegal downloads, and to be honest, I don't know if I want you here because of it.


You are free to do whatever you want with me. Everyone is their own person. To be honest i used to be a different kind of anime fan. I used to buy DVD's, manga, went to cons, etc. Because of people i've met in the past i refuse to associate with anyone else who likes anime outside the cyber world. As for buying anime and manga, no more and it's been that way because of financial problems for a few years now. It might be because of the recession of 2009-2010 and experiencing my first lay off in life that i'm the way i am now but it's not gonna stop me from enjoying what i love. Neither are the people who aren't even anime fans. Just cosplaying doesn't make you an anime fan.

Guess it's back to /a/ for me.
Member
37338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Charleston WV
Offline
Posted 8/27/13

hughjazz44 wrote:

Well, I can't condone illegal downloads, and to be honest, I don't know if I want you here because of it.


I am sorry however I disagree with you. I understand your argument on this however regardless of which source anyone uses is their choice. From my understanding of the original message I received, this was stated "Also, this isn't limited to Crunchyroll. If we all have access to DVDs, Netflix, or some other source, we can watch that way.". Their was not mention of rules or morals that had to be followed. I thought this group is about watching a particular anime and discussing it. Also their has not been a set hierarchy, True you did start the group and I thank you for that however again their has not be any set rules or boundaries. So If you can not condone this then declare yourself as the leader and have the group fellow your moral standards. If that is the case though personally I will have nothing to do with it. If the group is about following one persons morals then why try. The whole point is to share opinions and ideas.

Unfortunately I understand kyubeykiller plight all to well, I too am poor and not able to affordable every DVD or movie. I have streamed almost all the anime I have seen and it wasn't that I did not want to support the author or the industry. I just wanted to watch the anime I love so much. Now a days I have began to stop doing that unless the stream is paid for or if I have the DVD.

Member
37338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Charleston WV
Offline
Posted 8/27/13

hughjazz44 wrote:

You shouldn't be afraid to discuss anything.

The thing is, is that this situation is just like your civil rights: They are protected for you, unless they infringe upon the rights of others. i.e. You can't yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, and then say it's protected by your right to freedom of speech, because it infringes on the right of everyone else in the theater to their safety.

If you download, say, Bathing with Hinako, there is no licensee in North America for that. So the only way to see it would be to go to Japan. And even then, you might lose it in customs coming back (if they were being dicks or something). However, if you download Angel Beats, now you're costing me money indirectly, because that series is available legally from MANY sources. The sole argument is: I don't want to pay. And that just doesn't hold water. If everyone else has to pay, so should you.


I will agree with that however it is still a matter of opinion. Whether or not someone chooses to follow that is up to them.
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / (818)
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
Let's just stop with this topic already. I'll make it easy on everyone and depart from CR overall. I gave this place a shot after a whole year absence and it's obviously not for me. As mentioned i'll just go back to /a/. Looks like /a/ is the only place people D/L. The only arguments that occur on /a/ are those about who made better fansubs (HorribleSubs, Commie, FFF, Asenshi, etc, etc). Personally i like DeadFish because of their re-encoding system regardless of the fansubbers. Anyway that is all.
Member
37338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Charleston WV
Offline
Posted 8/27/13 , edited 8/27/13

kyubeykiller wrote:

Let's just stop with this topic already. I'll make it easy on everyone and depart from CR overall. I gave this place a shot after a whole year absence and it's obviously not for me. As mentioned i'll just go back to /a/. Looks like /a/ is the only place people D/L. The only arguments that occur on /a/ are those about who made better fansubs (HorribleSubs, Commie, FFF, Asenshi, etc, etc). Personally i like DeadFish because of their re-encoding system regardless of the fansubbers. Anyway that is all.


I would like to talk you out of leaving. If you can't afford cr they have alternate way of paying for it. You can do odd things like watching ads or surveys. Also if you would like you can have my guest memberships I get like three a month and you can use it multiple times I think. I would like for you to stay. Send me a pm on Skype sometime.


25569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 10/5/13
With the Girls Und Panzer series soon coming to a close, I would like to make a short recommendation to what we watch next. I know this is a little premature, but I would like to make this suggestion while the series is still fresh. I would like to recommend the Pokemon: The Origins short anime series (only consists of 4 episodes). To anyone who's a fan of Pokemon, and to those who've played the original Red and Blue games, I found this anime highly enjoyable and believe it would be a good topic for discussion, and we can practically have it wrapped up in only a week's time.
Member
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 10/5/13

chrisjahn wrote:

With the Girls Und Panzer series soon coming to a close, I would like to make a short recommendation to what we watch next. I know this is a little premature, but I would like to make this suggestion while the series is still fresh. I would like to recommend the Pokemon: The Origins short anime series (only consists of 4 episodes). To anyone who's a fan of Pokemon, and to those who've played the original Red and Blue games, I found this anime highly enjoyable and believe it would be a good topic for discussion, and we can practically have it wrapped up in only a week's time.


Woah Woah Woah Woah Woah Woah


Yes.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.