First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
If if is racist to require an ID when voting, what is it called when they require ID to buy beer, open a checking accoun
85432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 8/27/13 , edited 8/27/13

spectralMagician wrote:


dougeprofile wrote:
or the record, you wrote black in your post, you're the one posting accusations. No one is substituting anything for anything else.


(Sigh) I was just trying to clarify the post a little ...but for YOU I'll add the word back in.


"Good on you. It makes you look less foolish."



How foolish? "black" is included in "minority" or rather the more specific charge. Since I strongly disagree with you, it is no wonder you see me as foolish. It is an honor to be considered a fool by you.
20548 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
so your saying minorities should be above the rules? or you saying anyone should be allowed to vote with no protection in place at all?
17960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 8/27/13 , edited 8/27/13

dougeprofile wrote:


spectralMagician wrote:


dougeprofile wrote:
or the record, you wrote black in your post, you're the one posting accusations. No one is substituting anything for anything else.


(Sigh) I was just trying to clarify the post a little ...but for YOU I'll add the word back in.


"Good on you. It makes you look less foolish."




How foolish? "black" is included in "minority" or rather the more specific charge. Since I strongly disagree with you, it is no wonder you see me as foolish. It is an honor to be considered a fool by you.



That wasn't the foolish part I was talking about.
I was talking about you changing the wording of the original post after I had written my response and you had answered something or other about accusations.
Black is included in minority.

>Since I strongly disagree with you
Disagree with what exactly? The fact you're talking in circles?

>It is an honor to be considered a fool by you.
I considered your circles foolish.
But I digress.
Thank you.
I am pretty great.
24625 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
Requiring an ID to vote isn't racist. It is however is potentially unconstitutionally discriminatory against those who suffer true poverty, unless a valid ID can be obtained 100% for free. The right to vote is one of our basic rights as citizens in the USA and it can't be denied to any citizen even the homeless(exempting certain laws dealing with felons iirc).

That said anybody who thinks that this isn't primarily politically motivated are utter and complete fools. While your average voter might get confused on the issue with conservatives not seeing it as being anything other than a simple protection against voter fraud, and progressives seeing in it a racist initiative to keep minorities from voting, the truth is the politicians arguing either side of this are doing so not for those reasons. Generally speaking well off people as well as people with conservative social views tend to vote republican, while poorer people and those with a more progressive social mindset tend to vote democrat. Politicians know this and do things like this in their never ending attempts to game the system. Republican voters are told by their representatives that this is an attempt to protect against voter fraud because they know their voters care about that when really they just want to put a dent in voters that will vote for the other guy, and Democratic representatives know their voters flare up at the mention of racism and let them think that is the primary issue, when they as well as the republicans know that either side really doesn't even care at all about race at all other than as a demographic voting trend, because demographic voting trends is what this is about.

I don't really oppose the idea myself other than the fact that they need to make some sort of voter ID 100% free for those in poverty. However like I said before you are a fool to believe that the issue isn't primarily about gaming votes much in the way gerrymandering is.
22077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
I have nothing against requiring an I.D. to vote as long as people also have ways to get to the polls, like elderly people or people who have disabilities. Living in North Carolina, I feel that this voter I.D. law however, is not racism, but suppression. Ending early voting, ending Sunday voting, ending same day registration, ending early registration for teenagers... Now I don't understand how they would stop this nonexistent voter fraud. It's obvious that the legislators, in my state, are trying to suppress the vote. But I'll be doing my part next election to help get people to the polls the best I can.
67201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bonne Lake, WA
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
For the record, getting a new ID when you don't have ID is a bitch.

At any rate, I think the issue people had was not the idea of ID to vote, but rather how some states go about these requirements, requiring additional forms of ID like a passport.
10577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / chicagoland
Offline
Posted 8/27/13 , edited 8/27/13

greenluvs1 wrote:

I know some single mothers, some that have no cars and work many hours to make ends meet. However, there are some things people need to find the time to do. Like I said, your scenario is not impossible, but it is not widespread. For starters, said mothers still need bank accounts (usually to negotiate paychecks and pay bills). One needs a valid ID order to establish a bank account now days. If they don't have a bank account, they probably cash their pay checks- which would would also require a valid ID, because check cashing centers would be risking huge losses if they did not verify that the payee off the check is actually the person in front of them. If they are getting paid in cash, they still need to cash their annual income tax check, which-guess what- would also require an ID. Just curious... how many ladies have you personally met that are in this situation?

I can believe stats about minority women being paid less thank others for the same job, but that itself is not a deterrent from one having a valid ID, specially because of the aforementioned reasons.

In my line of work, I've met people in all walks of life. I've meet single mothers with long commutes, people with no money, and people with a lot to spare. When I was a kid, my dad (a minority) worked hard at two jobs. We didn't have the internet because it was not the commodity that it is today. He hardly had time to watch TV. And yet, he knew when there was elections. Since you yourself work, you know that on Presidential Elections Day and the days preceding it, all one hears about is... elections. As busy as some people are, I've never met anyone who was unaware that the presidential elections are coming up- it's simply impossible unless one is a hermit.

Who is going to claim one's real ID is fake? Would you let someone do that to you? I know I wouldn't, and neither would anyone in my family, or my many friends/acquaintances (single mothers included). Do you know personally know people to whom this has happened to in the US? This may happen in other countries, where corruption is blatant. I know this country is far from perfect, but corruption is not so open, to where people would be outright told their real IDs are fake. Anyone doing that would be asking for a lawsuit. Also, one can't just go to another polling place if they can't vote at their own. They assign them for a reason.


a friend of mine is 25ish
we were out at a bar/restaurant one night and, after having already been at another bar, this place refused to serve him a beer with his cheese burger because they claimed his wisconsin state drivers license was fake.

also, do you have any idea how easy it is for people to obtain fake IDs, social security numbers, and all the legal documents one needs to do anything in this country?

do you really think that preventing those with no ID from voting is going to put an end to voter fraud?

opening a checking account is not a constitutional right, neither is cashing a pay check or driving a car.
voting is.
47117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 8/27/13 , edited 8/27/13
Voter I.D.s are not unconstitutional and no they dont violate anybodies rights.

You have the right to vote AS YOURSELF, but you dont have the right to vote AS SOMEBODY ELSE.

When you vote as somebody else, you deprive of somebodies elses right to vote. Therefore you need to PROVE who you are while voting.

And spare me this nonsense about how hard it is to get an ID. These people most likely have an ID for everything else in life, yet for getting an ID to vote is somehow impossible. Please.

Hell, if you want to make it free via gov giving it out, then fine.

This has nothing to do with voter suppression. This has everything to do with making sure nobody has their constitutional rights violated.

And for anybody making a comparison between background checks for guns and Voter I.D.s somehow being the same thing, they're not.

When you buy a gun in the USA, its assumed you are an American citizen, since US citizens are the only people who are supposed to be here, other than tourists/ambassadors, therefore you dont need an ID. However when you are voting in an election, yes its assumed you are an American citizen, but its NOT assumed you are who you say you are, therefore identification is required in order to prevent somebody having their rights violated. When you buy a gun, nobody elses rights can possibly be violated by you purchasing a gun

Thats the difference.


Also, for same day registration. That should be removed as far as Im concerned. The only people who register on the same day as an election are people who never gave a damn about politics until election day. These are the low information voter types.
67201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Bonne Lake, WA
Offline
Posted 8/27/13

superluccix wrote:




Also, for same day registration. That should be removed as far as Im concerned. The only people who register on the same day as an election are people who never gave a damn about politics until election day. These are the low information voter types.


Yeah, those people don't even deserve to vote because they make uninformed decisions, right?

What we should do is group everyone up into small districts, and have one individual from that district their job to be informed, and make informed decisions on their behalf. This individual would be paid for his time through taxes, and have a term of a few years at a time, at which point we will reaffirm our selection in representative or choose someone who's ideals more closely relate to that of his constituents.
Posted 8/27/13 , edited 8/27/13
hows this racist its just proving your age and that you lived there for so long


you cant give a 5 year old a vote nor a foreigner that just moved in because they have no clue whats going on and 2 trying do something criminal like
10577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / chicagoland
Offline
Posted 8/27/13

Voter I.D.s are not unconstitutional and no they dont violate anybodies rights.

You have the right to vote AS YOURSELF, but you dont have the right to vote AS SOMEBODY ELSE.


you also have the right to not be denied the right to vote FOR ANY REASON, including not being able to produce an ID.
requiring an ID to vote is only unconstitutional when it denies people their ability to exercise their right to vote.
38924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
As long as they don't inject anything into our flesh for ID, I'm fine with it. Is it racist? If it applies to everyone, which it does, then no.
47117 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Arnold Maryland
Offline
Posted 8/27/13


If you dont have an ID, no, you dont deserve to vote. And please, 364 days of the year cant do it, but hey theres an election happening today? Lets get registered to vote!

But this is a moot point for me, so I dont really care either way.

And your 2nd paragraph has literally nothing to do with anything I said, so I'll ignore it
Posted 8/27/13
It's not racist in and of it's self, though it could certainly be setup in a racist way.
20548 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 8/27/13

swirly_commode wrote:


Voter I.D.s are not unconstitutional and no they dont violate anybodies rights.

You have the right to vote AS YOURSELF, but you dont have the right to vote AS SOMEBODY ELSE.


you also have the right to not be denied the right to vote FOR ANY REASON, including not being able to produce an ID.
requiring an ID to vote is only unconstitutional when it denies people their ability to exercise their right to vote.


then how do you stop someone from voting twice?

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.