Created by jtjumper
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Which is the most oddly named anime?
12640 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
Let's face it, some anime titles are just plain weird. Which of these do you think are the weirdest?
* Tiger and Bunny
* Gosick
* Lucky Star
* Btooom!
* SKET Dance
Posted 8/27/13
none of the above title is weird to me.

i watched the show and the title makes perfect sense. if you've only glanced at it without watching the content, you're going to think it's weird.
12640 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 8/27/13 , edited 8/27/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

none of the above title is weird to me.

i watched the show and the title makes perfect sense. if you've only glanced at it without watching the content, you're going to think it's weird.


Just from the title, who would guess Tiger and Bunny was about superheroes?
Does "Gosick" make anyone think of the World War 2 era, magic or detectives? What is a "Gosick" anyways?
What about "Lucky Star" says anything resembling 'slice of life centering around 4 girls'?
When is there ever dancing in SKET Dance ?
I know Btooom! is supposed to be the name of the game in the story, but it's still a stupid name, for a show or a game.
Posted 8/27/13

jtjumper wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

none of the above title is weird to me.

i watched the show and the title makes perfect sense. if you've only glanced at it without watching the content, you're going to think it's weird.


Just from the title, who would guess Tiger and Bunny was about superheroes?
Does "Gosick" make anyone think of the World War 2 era, magic or detectives? What is a "Gosick" anyways?
What about "Lucky Star" says anything resembling 'slice of life centering around 4 girls'?
When is there ever dancing in SKET Dance ?
I know Btooom! is supposed to be the name of the game in the story, but it's still a stupid name, for a show or a game.



I get your point, lol.


But it's like, "The Green Lantern", if you never knew about comics... would you think "The Green Lantern" was a superhero's code name?
12640 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 8/27/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


jtjumper wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

none of the above title is weird to me.

i watched the show and the title makes perfect sense. if you've only glanced at it without watching the content, you're going to think it's weird.


Just from the title, who would guess Tiger and Bunny was about superheroes?
Does "Gosick" make anyone think of the World War 2 era, magic or detectives? What is a "Gosick" anyways?
What about "Lucky Star" says anything resembling 'slice of life centering around 4 girls'?
When is there ever dancing in SKET Dance ?
I know Btooom! is supposed to be the name of the game in the story, but it's still a stupid name, for a show or a game.



I get your point, lol.


But it's like, "The Green Lantern", if you never knew about comics... would you think "The Green Lantern" was a superhero's code name?


You have a point. At least it sounds tougher than "Bunny," though.
11352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
1337 MLG Lane, Pr...
Offline
Posted 8/27/13
well "Gosick" is the Japanese pronunciation of "Gothic" and I believe that it what the show named. probably because Victorique dresses like a very "gothically"
As for the other names... I have no idea, just Japan being weird I guess
58081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
Tiger & Bunny is the exact English equivalent of the Japanese Katakana title "タイガー&バニー", or "Taigaa & Banii" in Romaji. Though it seems somewhat odd sounding at first, you realize it is just the names of the heroes from the show. So it's as odd as "Batman & Robin" is in America, which is not very odd to me.

@XxOtakuQueenxX - Yes, GOSICK is a somewhat oddly translated English spelling of the Japanese pronunciation for "Gothic", which I'm guessing has to do with Victorique's attire in the show? The weirder thing is they did not translate the English letters into GOTHIC for some reason (perhaps a mistake by the in-house translator)? I would have thought they would use the Japnaese Katakana "ゴシック", "goshikku" in Romaji, or GOTHIC as the title instead. Perhaps they were worried about copyright infringement of the word Gothic?

Lucky Star makes perfect sense as it is らき・すた in Japanese, spelled out "raki suta" in Romaji, or "Lucky Star" in English.

BTOOOM!, "ブトゥーム!" in Katakana or "Butuumu!" in Romaji, also makes sense as it is onomatopoeia for the sound of an explosion, much like "BOOM!" is in English. Although it is a bit odd sounding title, it makes perfect sense in context of the show being about bombs and such.

I voted for SKET Dance, as it makes no sense in English when translated. It is a totally made up acronym for the show, as Kaimei High School's campus support club, the SKET Dan (Katakana: "スケット・ダン"; Romaji: "Suketto Dan"), which very loosely translates to "Helper's Club" from the included English acronym: "SKET (Support, Kindness, Encouragement, and Troubleshoot)"). Talk about odd and confusing. The only thing one could infer from the title in Japanese before watching is it's a club of sorts, but in English they changed "club" to "dance" making it completely silly and without meaning until you watch the show to find out more.
11007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/31/13
None are weird, i think their creative and original
Banned
18087 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 8/31/13
the strangest one I have ever heard was Cat shit one
25641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 9/1/13
According to the mostly accurate most of the time Wikipedia, Gosick is the stylized representation of the word Goshikku which translates out as Gothic and given the Victorian Era gothic thematic elements of the show makes the name fitting once you know the meaning.

I'd say the most oddly named one is SKET Dance since while I have not seen the show as of yet it makes it sound like a anime variant of the Step Up! dance action drama movies from America than the club life / slice of life show the write up implies.
12705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/1/13 , edited 9/1/13
Taking them for face value, I suppose SKET Dance stands out. I always thought Lucky Star had some casual significance I never understood, but I do remember the characters talking about lucky stars in the show briefly--kinda doubt it's significance though.

One of the funniest English titles I've seen was Bodacious Space Pirates. Which I'm sure is an accurate naming, but it just sounds wonderfully absurd.
Myki52 
71011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
65 / F / Between a rock OR...
Offline
Posted 9/1/13 , edited 9/1/13
Gosick is the only one that didn't give a satisfactory explanation for the title. But, now that I've read the comments, can't see why I didn't draw that conclusion. SKET Dance actually explained the title, either in the anime or the manga. Since it uses acronyms on English words with Dan (plural) tagged at the end, it seemed pretty normal. However, I've never watched Lucky Star, so I can't be certain.
12640 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 9/1/13

sonic720 wrote:

Tiger & Bunny is the exact English equivalent of the Japanese Katakana title "タイガー&バニー", or "Taigaa & Banii" in Romaji. Though it seems somewhat odd sounding at first, you realize it is just the names of the heroes from the show. So it's as odd as "Batman & Robin" is in America, which is not very odd to me.

@XxOtakuQueenxX - Yes, GOSICK is a somewhat oddly translated English spelling of the Japanese pronunciation for "Gothic", which I'm guessing has to do with Victorique's attire in the show? The weirder thing is they did not translate the English letters into GOTHIC for some reason (perhaps a mistake by the in-house translator)? I would have thought they would use the Japnaese Katakana "ゴシック", "goshikku" in Romaji, or GOTHIC as the title instead. Perhaps they were worried about copyright infringement of the word Gothic?

Lucky Star makes perfect sense as it is らき・すた in Japanese, spelled out "raki suta" in Romaji, or "Lucky Star" in English.

BTOOOM!, "ブトゥーム!" in Katakana or "Butuumu!" in Romaji, also makes sense as it is onomatopoeia for the sound of an explosion, much like "BOOM!" is in English. Although it is a bit odd sounding title, it makes perfect sense in context of the show being about bombs and such.

I voted for SKET Dance, as it makes no sense in English when translated. It is a totally made up acronym for the show, as Kaimei High School's campus support club, the SKET Dan (Katakana: "スケット・ダン"; Romaji: "Suketto Dan"), which very loosely translates to "Helper's Club" from the included English acronym: "SKET (Support, Kindness, Encouragement, and Troubleshoot)"). Talk about odd and confusing. The only thing one could infer from the title in Japanese before watching is it's a club of sorts, but in English they changed "club" to "dance" making it completely silly and without meaning until you watch the show to find out more.


* "It's Barnaby, not bunny."
* A bad translation does not make the name not weird.
* That argument's weak, but I let it slide... "Lucky Star" is the least weird name of the lot IMHO.
* Onomatopoeia, in general, makes for weird titles. I know the in-show game was BTOOOM! However, that's still weird, both for a show and a game.
58081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 9/1/13

jtjumper wrote:

* "It's Barnaby, not bunny."
* A bad translation does not make the name not weird.
* That argument's weak, but I let it slide... "Lucky Star" is the least weird name of the lot IMHO.
* Onomatopoeia, in general, makes for weird titles. I know the in-show game was BTOOOM! However, that's still weird, both for a show and a game.


Yes, I know his real name is Barnaby, but his nickname is indeed "Bunny-chan". So it makes sense to me.

As for the rest, it's all my personal opinion on what constitutes weird.

I agree GOSICK sounds odd at first, but I understand it refers to Gothic, which fits the show's Gothic attire and architecture.

Lucky Star is a comedy and odd by nature, but it's not the weirdest title of the bunch to me.

I disagree about BTOOOM! being weirdest. Sure it sounds weird at first, but it is the name of the video game in the show and the Japanese equivalent to the English sound BOOM! And since they are throwing bombs that explode, it makes complete sense for me.

SKET Dance should have been translated to "SKET Club" or maybe "Helper's Club". SKET Dance is weird to me because it makes it sound like the show is about a new weird type of dance not club.
20704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/2/13 , edited 9/2/13
Bud, you forgot Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt... thats gotta be the weirdest for me, otherwise ill go with btooom!
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.