First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply Hypersexualization of Anime
42179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Ibaraki, Japan
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
The way I see this, it's really more of because Japan (and some other Southeast Asian countries) are a lot more tolerant of sexuality in pop culture, at least compared to Western countries, kinda like how Americans are mostly cool with ultra-violence. On the other hand, Westerners, especially Americans, tend to be way too oversensitive and irrational when it comes to anything about sex, most likely due to the fact that in a way, Western society still tends to be socially conservative, Victorian, and (in the case of Americans) ultra puritanical.

As an Asian who does not share American views and values, I'm kinda worried that Americans are just WAAAAAY too oversensitive to anything sexual for their own good. Like, I don't understand why they're A-OK with subjects like ultra violence, gore, narcotics, and crime, but when it comes to sex, they suddenly start hopping on their white knight crusader high horses and start preaching about why human sexuality is "evil" or "immoral" or "objectifying."

Like, take Dragon's Crown for example. It's a JRPG that recently just came out in both the East and the West. Since I'm able to speak English and Japanese, I observed how the East and the West reacted to the game, and this is the reception I observed from Eastern and Western gaming communities:

Japanese Gaming Communities: "Oh, cool! Dragon's Crown's battle system is so complex, and etc. etc. Also, the graphics are so crisp, customization is neat, characters are nicely varied, etc."

Southeast Asian Communities: "Nice! George Kamitani's over-the-top artstyle is pretty hilarious! Oh, and the game's mechanics are also pretty well-designed. Some of the bosses are also pretty challenging, blah blah blah..."

American Gaming Communities: "WAAAAH! OMG SORCERESS HAS LARGE BOOBS! AMAZON HAS BIG BUTT! WAAAH, OBJECTIFICATION! DIS GAEM SO SEXIST! JAPAN SO SEXIST AND PERVERTED! WE DUN LIKE DIS STUFF, THEREFORE WE ARE MORALLY CORRECT! BOYCOTT THIS SEXIST GARBAGE! WE'RE SO POLITICALLY CORRECT!"

Honestly, from my observation, only Americans seemed to pull off a hissy fit regarding the large-breasted characters in Dragon's Crown. Japanese gamers, Korean gamers, and Southeast Asian gamers, on the other hand, were just all cool and chill about the character designs, seeing it as nothing more but harmless fanservice/comical relief and instead focusing on the ACTUAL GAME.

This is just my opinion, and I know it will offend a lot of Westerners, so I apologize in advance, but honestly, Westerners', especially Americans' hypersensitivity to anything remotely sexual has gone too far in my opinion. I especially HATE it when Americans take completely harmless fanservice (whether male or female), and turn it into an overly political issue, and by political, I mean AMERICAN politics and standards, something that DOES NOT BELONG in Asian Pop Culture. I swear, Americans need to loosen up a bit and start becoming more open to sexuality, just like how they're so open to violence, blood, gore,and drugs. :/
Plena 
12363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

iblessall wrote:
In short, what is up with the hypersexualization that surrounds anime and what are people's thoughts on it? And let's go beyond the cliche answer, "It's Japanese and they're all pervs over there." Some of these shows are not sexualized, yet you still see it in fan art, etc. We're (for the most part) an American audience; we come from a different culture and are not bound by Japan's culture.


Anime fans in general tend to become attracted to characters in their favorite shows. Companies like to use that to make money. It's not any different in other entertainment mediums. I'm sure plenty of people find themselves attracted to certain celebrities/actors playing in movies/making music videos/other things and wouldn't mind products pandering to their desires. However, unlike an anime character, a real person can choose to prevent their image being used in official works.

I'll admit though, anime can pander to desires that would not be acceptable in other mediums. This may be one of the reasons you see the sexualization of so many characters; Where else does one find so much blatant fanservice (in the form of products, fan works, and sometimes within the show itself) of girls that are under 18.

I really wouldn't mind having that Asuna figure. I can't really turn down the Railgun girls in interesting fanart either.
So yeah, there's a specialized niche market only available to perverted anime fans.

I'm not bothered by it. Not just because I'm one of those people, but because it's okay to have the fans get what they want. People want sexy content of their favorite characters. For those against such productions, remember that there are official and fan made works that present a respectable image of your favorite characters too.

Like Asuna:


50474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

mahoshojo03 wrote:

The way I see this, it's really more of because Japan (and some other Southeast Asian countries) are a lot more tolerant of sexuality in pop culture, at least compared to Western countries, kinda like how Americans are mostly cool with ultra-violence. On the other hand, Westerners, especially Americans, tend to be way too oversensitive and irrational when it comes to anything about sex, most likely due to the fact that in a way, Western society still tends to be socially conservative, Victorian, and (in the case of Americans) ultra puritanical.

As an Asian who does not share American views and values, I'm kinda worried that Americans are just WAAAAAY too oversensitive to anything sexual for their own good. Like, I don't understand why they're A-OK with subjects like ultra violence, gore, narcotics, and crime, but when it comes to sex, they suddenly start hopping on their white knight crusader high horses and start preaching about why human sexuality is "evil" or "immoral" or "objectifying."

This is just my opinion, and I know it will offend a lot of Westerners, so I apologize in advance, but honestly, Westerners', especially Americans' hypersensitivity to anything remotely sexual has gone too far in my opinion. I especially HATE it when Americans take completely harmless fanservice (whether male or female), and turn it into an overly political issue, and by political, I mean AMERICAN politics and standards, something that DOES NOT BELONG in Asian Pop Culture. I swear, Americans need to loosen up a bit and start becoming more open to sexuality, just like how they're so open to violence, blood, gore,and drugs. :/

I agree.

Watch some '70s anime like Cutie Honey and you will see there is nothing new about hypersexualization of anime.

Sex and boobs are not really a big deal in Japan.

In public mixed baths and hot springs you just use a hand towel to cover your genitals. Women don't cover their boobs and it is no big deal.

Some shounen manga, the genre for 10-18 year old boys, show nipples. Again, not a huge issue.

When I was there my friends showed me good restaurants to take girls for dinner so I could be nampa. I said I was married but their reply was, "So what???" To them, the idea of me not having sex on my trip was the same as if I'd said I'm not going to eat during my trip, or breathe, might as well hold my breath for a few months. Sex is a bodily function, and not just by yourself they said. Having an affair and divorcing your wife, breaking up your family is bad but casual sex is no problem.

Westerners are way too uptight about this. It's natural to be a sexual being as we are sexual creatures. It is the main purpose of life.

As for Japan's low birth rate being caused by dakimakura, I think you have the cause and effect backward. Look to social, economical and political issues for the cause of the low birth rate, their market crashes, lost generation no one wants to employ, etc. They do not have time or money enough for themselves before considering having a wife and kids. And career women don't have time for kids either.
30389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Livingston, Louis...
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13
There is no recent hypersexualization that you speak of, OP. It's been around since the early days.

Like hpulley said, look at Cutie Honey for an example. This shit isn't recent, it's been around since at least the 70's. But for some reason Americans can't stand it when sex is portrayed so easily like it is in Japan. I bet Japan has topics like these regarding why our media has to be gory, have tons of cursewords, and be filled with drugs and war. It makes me sad to be an American, because quite honestly, I can look past the fanservice and everything and separate it from the media as two different things. Quit being so tight-minded and learn that if you wanna get rid of the hypersexualization in anime, you might wanna get rid of the gore and mess that is American media. Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out.

Plus, I'm tired of seeing topics like these. I'm tired of seeing how tight minded my people are. I swear, when I get rich, I'm moving to Japan, because I will stir nothing but controversy if I made games here. At least I can release on an AO platform there, where here there's no chance in Hell of realizing my games because I would have to cut so much content to get it on shelves.

EDIT: I shouldn't say sex, but rather nudity and raunchier topics, are easier presented in Japan, and aren't as well-received here. My bad.
15265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 8/28/13
I had a whole massive post, but I decided I didn't know enough about the subject to educate you or answer your question.

I can say that there are tons of articles, blogs, tumblr accounts, forums, and youtube videos about this if you're willing to take the time to look it up and learn something about it. Sexualization of anime lies in both Japans culture, anime being a male-dominated medium since it's infancy, and a general lack of female-input due to well, the lack of female interest. There are reasons for this sexuality, obvious and changing ones.


I'll throw a trope out here for you to end it up.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MostWritersAreWriters
24611 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

kotomikun wrote:
Too many people take anything related to sex far too seriously, and see almost everything about it as negative. I mean, when you feel the need to complain about stuff like this:


iblessall wrote:
EXAMPLE 2: It also bugs me when I encounter things like Junichiro's password and fetish in Blast of Tempest, which is my all time favorite anime. What is mostly a dramatic, mature and brilliantly constructed show runs into a stupid password like "Boobs that don't bounce aren't boobs at all." It's out of character for the show, but it's still there.

EXAMPLE 3: Just to show that this goes beyond the female sexualization, take a gander at this photo.
Again, sexualization of a very non-sexualized character in the story. It, in some ways, damages my view of Mahiro as a character and turns him into an object (same thing applies to example 1).


...isn't that going a little far? Does sex have to be cleansed completely from everything related to a show to make it legitimate and untainted? What's so horrible about sex that makes it ruin everything it touches? Why is our society so uptight about this sort of thing?


I don't see sex as a horrible thing in and of itself. My complaint with #2 dealt mostly with the fact that the password was out of character for the entire show, at which point it just becomes gratuitous. Not to mention the fact that it's fairly crude on its own. I think there are tasteful ways to deal with sex in a show, but that's not one of them.


zendude wrote:


I really liked Asuna in SAO. She was not, I felt ever presented as a sex object

Never read SAO 16.5 I take it. "LAWL"


Not canon, though. Easier to ignore/just not read. (Not to mention a lame money grab by the author xD)


Zachman wrote:
It makes me sad to be an American, because quite honestly, I can look past the fanservice and everything and separate it from the media as two different things. Quit being so tight-minded and learn that if you wanna get rid of the hypersexualization in anime, you might wanna get rid of the gore and mess that is American media. Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out.

#1) I take a very holistic approach to the art I encounter, so for me looking past the fanservice is denying part of the anime. I don't look past violence either. And I would just as soon see the absurd violence, drug use and everything else that is wrong with American media get cleaned up, too. But this is an anime forum, so I didn't bring that up.
16555 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Reston, Virginia
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

mahoshojo03 wrote:

The way I see this, it's really more of because Japan (and some other Southeast Asian countries) are a lot more tolerant of sexuality in pop culture, at least compared to Western countries, kinda like how Americans are mostly cool with ultra-violence. On the other hand, Westerners, especially Americans, tend to be way too oversensitive and irrational when it comes to anything about sex, most likely due to the fact that in a way, Western society still tends to be socially conservative, Victorian, and (in the case of Americans) ultra puritanical.

As an Asian who does not share American views and values, I'm kinda worried that Americans are just WAAAAAY too oversensitive to anything sexual for their own good. Like, I don't understand why they're A-OK with subjects like ultra violence, gore, narcotics, and crime, but when it comes to sex, they suddenly start hopping on their white knight crusader high horses and start preaching about why human sexuality is "evil" or "immoral" or "objectifying."

.....

This is just my opinion, and I know it will offend a lot of Westerners, so I apologize in advance, but honestly, Westerners', especially Americans' hypersensitivity to anything remotely sexual has gone too far in my opinion. I especially HATE it when Americans take completely harmless fanservice (whether male or female), and turn it into an overly political issue, and by political, I mean AMERICAN politics and standards, something that DOES NOT BELONG in Asian Pop Culture. I swear, Americans need to loosen up a bit and start becoming more open to sexuality, just like how they're so open to violence, blood, gore,and drugs. :/


I'm an American, but I pretty much agree with your post. The only tiny disagreement that I have is your last sentence. What I'd like to see is American society to loosen up and becoming more open about sex, but tone down the acceptance of violence, blood and gore. Europe is more this way than America. I've been told all Americans are prudes from a couple of people from Europe.

Sex is part of human life. It is a desire, but it isn't a base desire, it is something that is part of us. As a desire, it does get attention. It is also something that can be awkward and funny, thus making it perfect for adding some comedic touches to show.

The original poster mentioned the idea of Asuna being "pure" and implying that sexualization of her character is wrong because of this. First, there was often a bit of sexual tension between her and the male lead in the episodes up to them getting married in the game. And while they didn't explicitly show it, I'm sure their in game married life included sex. The story didn't focus on her sexuality, but it was their in the tension between her and the male lead at the beginning and an assumed part of her life when they married in the game. Denoting someone or some character as "pure" denies the humanity of the character.

There area certainly anime shows that focus too much on fan service and not enough on the story. I personally don't like the overly exaggerated breasts some anime female characters have as they look distorted to me. Neither of these things offend me, they just aren't what I like. Fan service can be great, but I need a good story and I like my characters to look like they could actually walk down the street without their back breaking from the strain *winks*.

There is only one anime I stopped watching due to be offended by it and that was Rin. It wasn't that it had sexual content that offended me, it was that it had this extreme sadistic violence intermixed with the sexuality that crossed a line I wasn't willing to go over.

6541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
I don't really have a problem with anime characters being "sexy" (carnal lust is really subjective), it's when that the character(s)' only purpose in the anime is to be some sort of sex object. For example: I like Yoko from Gurren Lagann and Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop because, while they can be classified as "fanservice" characters, they still are well-developed (no pun intended) and would be good characters even if they weren't "sexy" in the eyes of the public.
20518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

mahoshojo03 wrote:

The way I see this, it's really more of because Japan (and some other Southeast Asian countries) are a lot more tolerant of sexuality in pop culture, at least compared to Western countries, kinda like how Americans are mostly cool with ultra-violence. On the other hand, Westerners, especially Americans, tend to be way too oversensitive and irrational when it comes to anything about sex, most likely due to the fact that in a way, Western society still tends to be socially conservative, Victorian, and (in the case of Americans) ultra puritanical.

As an Asian who does not share American views and values, I'm kinda worried that Americans are just WAAAAAY too oversensitive to anything sexual for their own good. Like, I don't understand why they're A-OK with subjects like ultra violence, gore, narcotics, and crime, but when it comes to sex, they suddenly start hopping on their white knight crusader high horses and start preaching about why human sexuality is "evil" or "immoral" or "objectifying."

Like, take Dragon's Crown for example. It's a JRPG that recently just came out in both the East and the West. Since I'm able to speak English and Japanese, I observed how the East and the West reacted to the game, and this is the reception I observed from Eastern and Western gaming communities:

Japanese Gaming Communities: "Oh, cool! Dragon's Crown's battle system is so complex, and etc. etc. Also, the graphics are so crisp, customization is neat, characters are nicely varied, etc."

Southeast Asian Communities: "Nice! George Kamitani's over-the-top artstyle is pretty hilarious! Oh, and the game's mechanics are also pretty well-designed. Some of the bosses are also pretty challenging, blah blah blah..."

American Gaming Communities: "WAAAAH! OMG SORCERESS HAS LARGE BOOBS! AMAZON HAS BIG BUTT! WAAAH, OBJECTIFICATION! DIS GAEM SO SEXIST! JAPAN SO SEXIST AND PERVERTED! WE DUN LIKE DIS STUFF, THEREFORE WE ARE MORALLY CORRECT! BOYCOTT THIS SEXIST GARBAGE! WE'RE SO POLITICALLY CORRECT!"

Honestly, from my observation, only Americans seemed to pull off a hissy fit regarding the large-breasted characters in Dragon's Crown. Japanese gamers, Korean gamers, and Southeast Asian gamers, on the other hand, were just all cool and chill about the character designs, seeing it as nothing more but harmless fanservice/comical relief and instead focusing on the ACTUAL GAME.

This is just my opinion, and I know it will offend a lot of Westerners, so I apologize in advance, but honestly, Westerners', especially Americans' hypersensitivity to anything remotely sexual has gone too far in my opinion. I especially HATE it when Americans take completely harmless fanservice (whether male or female), and turn it into an overly political issue, and by political, I mean AMERICAN politics and standards, something that DOES NOT BELONG in Asian Pop Culture. I swear, Americans need to loosen up a bit and start becoming more open to sexuality, just like how they're so open to violence, blood, gore,and drugs. :/



I very much agree with this post. Not to sound antagonistic since I too believe we can tone down the fanservice but women can be quite hyper-reactive to this matter.

Most complaints come from the oversensitive western females who see sex as some kind of enemy to women when it's not only essential to the human race but also a mutual desire shared between both genders. They've been brought up with this strict Amazon feminist approach to anything regarding their appearance and now ignorantly see anything sexually provocative as men demeaning women instead of embracing their feminine charm and appeal. That ignorant Anna Sarkeesian outlook that thinks the Western way is the correct way. Sex appeal isn't evil. It's been around for as long as the human race has copulated.

The fact of the matter is there is just as much fanservice for women as there are for males, only it is displayed in different ways because while men's fanservice is the open attraction to feminine physique, women are attracted to the scenarios involving their rugged pretty boys with gruff personalities. More often than not you'll hear females more so than males commenting on how "hot" a certain character is or their constant of sexy boy/boy ships.
50474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

CyanSwan wrote:

The fact of the matter is there is just as much fanservice for women as there are for males, only it is displayed in different ways because while men's fanservice is the open attraction to feminine physique, women are attracted to the scenarios involving their rugged pretty boys with gruff personalities. More often than not you'll hear females more so than males commenting on how "hot" a certain character is or their constant of sexy boy/boy ships.

In anime for women like Uta Pri and Brothers Conflict, the bishounen look and personality is not rugged at all! But apparently it is what they want, and so are the seiyuu as the event ticket volumes sell, Sell, SELL! Uta Prix 2000% volume 1 with an event ticket sold over 70000 copies! So sex in anime sells for women too. As you say, it is in a different way but watch Free! and you will see what they enjoy as it is also doing well in pre-sales, volume one comes out September 11.
20518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

hpulley wrote:

In anime for women like Uta Pri and Brothers Conflict, the bishounen look and personality is not rugged at all! But apparently it is what they want, and so are the seiyuu as the event ticket volumes sell, Sell, SELL! Uta Prix 2000% volume 1 with an event ticket sold over 70000 copies! So sex in anime sells for women too. As you say, it is in a different way but watch Free! and you will see what they enjoy as it is also doing well in pre-sales, volume one comes out September 11.


You're right, females do indeed enjoy their bishounens and I should have included that in my post as well but I was mostly arguing for the side of the male targeted animes with fanservice for women too. I haven't watched Free but I've seen enough to know why it's so popular among the female demography. Good looking guys with toned bodies that fit into the handsome prince arc-type is bound to be well appreciated by the women. Sex does indeed sell and while there may be too much sometimes, it's not not something for people to be so prude about.
50474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

CyanSwan wrote:


hpulley wrote:

In anime for women like Uta Pri and Brothers Conflict, the bishounen look and personality is not rugged at all! But apparently it is what they want, and so are the seiyuu as the event ticket volumes sell, Sell, SELL! Uta Prix 2000% volume 1 with an event ticket sold over 70000 copies! So sex in anime sells for women too. As you say, it is in a different way but watch Free! and you will see what they enjoy as it is also doing well in pre-sales, volume one comes out September 11.


You're right, females do indeed enjoy their bishounens and I should have included that in my post as well but I was mostly arguing for the side of the male targeted animes with fanservice for women too. I haven't watched Free but I've seen enough to know why it's so popular among the female demography. Good looking guys with toned bodies that fit into the handsome prince arc-type is bound to be well appreciated by the women. Sex does indeed sell and while there may be too much sometimes, it's not not something for people to be so prude about.

I should say I'm sorry, I didn't really mean to write "anime for women" because even though those shows are, I think, aimed at women in a lot of ways guys can enjoy them too! I am really enjoying Brothers Conflict at the moment even though there isn't any "guy fanservice" in it. I like the kissing moments as well, not just the usual stuff guys go for.

But I definitely agree, people should not be prudish about it. I hate seeing comments like, "oh if not for the fanservice I'd like this show..." Have a laugh about it, most fanservice is supposed to be funny.
26733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Urban South
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
I don't care about hypersexualized characters. Sex is great and fanservice never bothered me (although fanservice trying to replace a decent plot gets old fast). But I really want to know why everyone in anime and manga seems to orgasm from getting their nipples pinched. The Japanese must be incredibly sensitive people because I've never seen that happen in real life.
19017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
Figurines and such should be, in my opinion, considered completely separate from the shows/manga they spawn from.

Secondly, no offense to the the writers and the fans of these shows.. but you act like they are ruining a masterpiece. 90 percent of the stories/plots in these shows are awful. They are written poorly and are almost always are on the decline as they get to the end of the show (the first episode is always the best and the show starts to fade after 5 episodes) If you haven't noticed yet.. writers/artists continue to create 12-24/26 episode shows with the same stereotypical characters and story arcs because those characters are a proven model for success. They know what the majority of the viewers like to see.. and they pump these things out show after show with little to no creativity. Don't get me wrong.. the same shows that I've sat back and thought "wow this show is terrible" are the same ones I have enjoyed and watched until the end.

I think you should be disappointed by the the fans who love the hypersexuality as much as the writers who cater to them.

ps. who doesn't like a little fan service
13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
The real question is what makes you so uncomfortable about human sexuality?

It's a normal and natural part of life, there's no shame in it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.