First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply Hypersexualization of Anime
17513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
I think some people confuse anime fan service and mature content, because they are two different things. Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail is a good example of mature content in anime.
Fanservice, however, like in shows like High School of the Dead is the opposite of this. It is unrealistic and immature, purposefully, which takes away from the story (if it has one), with bullets going in between someone's breasts and other things of that nature . This is where people take issue. It isn't necessarily the fact that it deals with sex, but how it deals with sex.

I personally do not like fan service, one could even say I loathe it. Does this make it bad? No. There is nothing inherently wrong with content which aims to "excite" its viewers. I also do not like excessive gore in shows like Blood-C. The difference is that fanservice is so prolific that it frustrates me. I prefer dark, more serious shows like Black Butler (the second season, not really the first) and Death Note, which are quite rare in comparison to fan service shows which have pretty much taken over the industry. If fanservice wasn't so common in anime, almost no one would have a problem with it, but because it is almost everywhere, people who seek more serious stories become vocal.
45302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
you know i'd probably say something like this. I love blast of tempest, and im sure there's girls that love blast of tempest. I'm sure that some of those girls think mahiro is hot and they buy products like that. If you don't want to see those products don't look at them. It's just a way for them to make more money off of the show =]
45302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

ichigosr55 wrote:

I think some people confuse anime fan service and mature content, because they are two different things. Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail is a good example of mature content in anime.
Fanservice, however, like in shows like High School of the Dead is the opposite of this. It is unrealistic and immature, purposefully, which takes away from the story (if it has one), with bullets going in between someone's breasts and other things of that nature . This is where people take issue. It isn't necessarily the fact that it deals with sex, but how it deals with sex.

I personally do not like fan service, one could even say I loathe it. Does this make it bad? No. There is nothing inherently wrong with content which aims to "excite" its viewers. I also do not like excessive gore in shows like Blood-C. The difference is that fanservice is so prolific that it frustrates me. I prefer dark, more serious shows like Black Butler (the second season, not really the first) and Death Note, which are quite rare in comparison to fan service shows which have pretty much taken over the industry. If fanservice wasn't so common in anime, almost no one would have a problem with it, but because it is almost everywhere, people who seek more serious stories become vocal.


Yea I mean theres movies with sex scenes
Like Enemy At the Gates- it's a war movie that has a sex scene
Fan service does get old but sometimes i think it can be funny but like you said, in some things like high school of the dead, they over do it a bit and i don't find that type of fanservice funny, especially when it's like in a serious zombie scene where someone is going to die
29856 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13
The way I see it is that fanservice is like honey. When used in moderation it can enhance the flavor, but overdo it and you wind up with nothing but a sticky mess.
45302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

Aethix0 wrote:

The way I see it is that fanservice is like honey. When used in moderation it can enhance the flavor, but overdo it and you wind up with nothing but a sticky mess.


lol good way to put it
90450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 8/28/13


This is true. Ive seen this as well and it infuriates me at how westerners put up a fit.
2022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

zendude wrote:


I really liked Asuna in SAO. She was not, I felt ever presented as a sex object

Never read SAO 16.5 I take it. "LAWL"


But yeah. Sex sells. It's easy to get some butter on that bread with something like that.



Might I remind you that the forum is about "Hypersexualization of ANIME" not light novels, so you can't use 16.5 as an argument.

In the anime of SAO, Asuna was rarely portrayed in a sexual manner (save for the one warp gate incident, the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her and Sugo's abuse in ALO.)

SAO always had a wholesome feeling to it, especially since Kirito and Asuna actually got married.
1844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

BloodshedBoss wrote:


zendude wrote:


I really liked Asuna in SAO. She was not, I felt ever presented as a sex object

Never read SAO 16.5 I take it. "LAWL"


But yeah. Sex sells. It's easy to get some butter on that bread with something like that.



Might I remind you that the forum is about "Hypersexualization of ANIME" not light novels, so you can't use 16.5 as an argument.

In the anime of SAO, Asuna was rarely portrayed in a sexual manner (save for the one warp gate incident, the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her and Sugu's abuse in ALO.)

SAO always had a wholesome feeling to it, especially since Kirito and Asuna actually got married.


Rarely portrayed? Excluding 16.5, she still stripped down to her bra and panties, despite being a "Knight" she wears a short skirt, and what about the beautifully pointless tentacle scene? I can remember several instances when she was sexualized, but not as much as other characters probably because several instances in the story, there wasn't much of a chance to do so, despite the lack of opportunity to sexualize her, you can still sense the lack of respect to her character. Also, I forget how long those two were together, but getting married so freakin quickly doesn't feel wholesome at all, it feels rushed and stupid.
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13
I don't think there's anything wrong with a hypersexualized character in them self. When every single character is one though in almost every show out there, then I do start getting turned off anime in general- not just from the silliness/dangers of it as other people have already pointed out, but also just because it's so cliche now. It's boring for me, and a bit insulting when you become aware of it, like they feel that you're just some generic fish that can be caught by the same bait over and over again.

I guess it just sort of destroys the suspense-of-disbelief for me, when you realize the blatant intent of something from an author/creator. Like you're watching a formula more than a show.

I do find a male/female/etc. character who uses sexual appeal can make an interesting cast addition though, and I think women who get to dictate their sexual relations/actions with confidence is a good thing. But like I said, when *every* one is the same character type (hyper-sexualized or not), ugh...

The funniest ones are the ones with armor. The most vulnerable/sexual spots on the body are always well exposed to danger XD Oh, and when skirts are attached to them, lol...definitely not combat hazards in the least bit

4752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13
Given their situation where they could die at any point really and have had to work together during life or death situations (inevitably forming a stronger bond) it makes sense that they decided to get married. I don't see what's so unwholesome about it lol, but different people different opinions.
18068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
Honestly, as long as it stays outta the main source (be it the LN, anime, etc) it is easily avoidable. I do agree with the OP stating that the oversexulation is disconcerning, and as stated several times before: sex sells. Since they are running a business, one needs to used all the techniques to get a profit.
WIth the exception of two anime I have seen, more fanservice means less plot. SInce that tend does not affect sales in Japan apparently (by Kami-sama we see enough of that around lately), all we can do in the States is either ignore it, or buy it.

FYI, Asuna and Kirtio were "together" for a little under 2 yrs before their marriage. Since the LNs were longer, it was much better portrayed there than the anime.
2022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

drakedogma wrote:


BloodshedBoss wrote:


zendude wrote:


I really liked Asuna in SAO. She was not, I felt ever presented as a sex object

Never read SAO 16.5 I take it. "LAWL"


But yeah. Sex sells. It's easy to get some butter on that bread with something like that.



Might I remind you that the forum is about "Hypersexualization of ANIME" not light novels, so you can't use 16.5 as an argument.

In the anime of SAO, Asuna was rarely portrayed in a sexual manner (save for the one warp gate incident, the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her and Sugu's abuse in ALO.)

SAO always had a wholesome feeling to it, especially since Kirito and Asuna actually got married.


Rarely portrayed? Excluding 16.5, she still stripped down to her bra and panties, despite being a "Knight" she wears a short skirt, and what about the beautifully pointless tentacle scene? I can remember several instances when she was sexualized, but not as much as other characters probably because several instances in the story, there wasn't much of a chance to do so, despite the lack of opportunity to sexualize her, you can still sense the lack of respect to her character. Also, I forget how long those two were together, but getting married so freakin quickly doesn't feel wholesome at all, it feels rushed and stupid.


First of all, by no means did they get married quickly, it was technically just under 2 years between when they met and when they got married, in reality the average time is about 3 years (also keep in mind the ever present chance of dying in SAO, that would kind of speed things up a bit.) If you find their marriage to be "stupid," that's your opinion, personally I find it quite romantic.
And when I said "the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her" I was referring to Asuna's undressing sequence. Plus you can barely call wearing a short skirt sexualization, especially since she wears a sort-of overcoat as well. And Silica's tentacle incident? she covered herself up, so there was nothing sexual about it. All of the so-called sexualized incidents come across as accidental and lend to the realism of the story, otherwise would feel forced and unnatural. (Might I also add that I refuse to watch anime which uses blatant sexuality, so SAO has to be pretty clean in that sense.)
1844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

BloodshedBoss wrote:


drakedogma wrote:


BloodshedBoss wrote:


zendude wrote:


I really liked Asuna in SAO. She was not, I felt ever presented as a sex object

Never read SAO 16.5 I take it. "LAWL"


But yeah. Sex sells. It's easy to get some butter on that bread with something like that.



Might I remind you that the forum is about "Hypersexualization of ANIME" not light novels, so you can't use 16.5 as an argument.

In the anime of SAO, Asuna was rarely portrayed in a sexual manner (save for the one warp gate incident, the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her and Sugu's abuse in ALO.)

SAO always had a wholesome feeling to it, especially since Kirito and Asuna actually got married.


Rarely portrayed? Excluding 16.5, she still stripped down to her bra and panties, despite being a "Knight" she wears a short skirt, and what about the beautifully pointless tentacle scene? I can remember several instances when she was sexualized, but not as much as other characters probably because several instances in the story, there wasn't much of a chance to do so, despite the lack of opportunity to sexualize her, you can still sense the lack of respect to her character. Also, I forget how long those two were together, but getting married so freakin quickly doesn't feel wholesome at all, it feels rushed and stupid.


First of all, by no means did they get married quickly, it was technically just under 2 years between when they met and when they got married, in reality the average time is about 3 years (also keep in mind the ever present chance of dying in SAO, that would kind of speed things up a bit.) If you find their marriage to be "stupid," that's your opinion, personally I find it quite romantic.
And when I said "the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her" I was referring to Asuna's undressing sequence. Plus you can barely call wearing a short skirt sexualization, especially since she wears a sort-of overcoat as well. And Silica's tentacle incident? she covered herself up, so there was nothing sexual about it. All of the so-called sexualized incidents come across as accidental and lend to the realism of the story, otherwise would feel forced and unnatural. (Might I also add that I refuse to watch anime which uses blatant sexuality, so SAO has to be pretty clean in that sense.)


Alright, my mistake on how long they were together, but still, it doesn't change the fact that what WE see in their relationship was short, devoid of any original chemistry and Twilight-level sappy, just a "Girl-A and Boy-A" Relationship. Despite being together for 2 years, to us, it was like a few episodes before they just fell in contrived 1 dimensional love. 2 years, 10 years, 50 years, etc. it doesn't matter since we only saw a few episodes. And I didn't mean Silica, I mean't Asuna's tentacle scene during the 2nd arc, it simply served no purpose to anything.
2022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

drakedogma wrote:


BloodshedBoss wrote:


drakedogma wrote:


BloodshedBoss wrote:


zendude wrote:


I really liked Asuna in SAO. She was not, I felt ever presented as a sex object

Never read SAO 16.5 I take it. "LAWL"


But yeah. Sex sells. It's easy to get some butter on that bread with something like that.



Might I remind you that the forum is about "Hypersexualization of ANIME" not light novels, so you can't use 16.5 as an argument.

In the anime of SAO, Asuna was rarely portrayed in a sexual manner (save for the one warp gate incident, the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her and Sugu's abuse in ALO.)

SAO always had a wholesome feeling to it, especially since Kirito and Asuna actually got married.


Rarely portrayed? Excluding 16.5, she still stripped down to her bra and panties, despite being a "Knight" she wears a short skirt, and what about the beautifully pointless tentacle scene? I can remember several instances when she was sexualized, but not as much as other characters probably because several instances in the story, there wasn't much of a chance to do so, despite the lack of opportunity to sexualize her, you can still sense the lack of respect to her character. Also, I forget how long those two were together, but getting married so freakin quickly doesn't feel wholesome at all, it feels rushed and stupid.


First of all, by no means did they get married quickly, it was technically just under 2 years between when they met and when they got married, in reality the average time is about 3 years (also keep in mind the ever present chance of dying in SAO, that would kind of speed things up a bit.) If you find their marriage to be "stupid," that's your opinion, personally I find it quite romantic.
And when I said "the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her" I was referring to Asuna's undressing sequence. Plus you can barely call wearing a short skirt sexualization, especially since she wears a sort-of overcoat as well. And Silica's tentacle incident? she covered herself up, so there was nothing sexual about it. All of the so-called sexualized incidents come across as accidental and lend to the realism of the story, otherwise would feel forced and unnatural. (Might I also add that I refuse to watch anime which uses blatant sexuality, so SAO has to be pretty clean in that sense.)


Alright, my mistake on how long they were together, but still, it doesn't change the fact that what WE see in their relationship was short and Twilight-level sappy. Despite being together for 2 years, to us, it was like a few episodes before they just fell in contrived 1 dimensional love. 2 years, 10 years, 50 years, etc. it doesn't matter since we only saw a few episodes. And I didn't mean Silica, I mean't Asuna's tentacle scene during the 2nd arc, it simply served no purpose to anything.


True, I tend not to think of ALO since I didn't really like it mostly due to the presentation of Asuna, but I feel like that's less fanservice, and more of giving real fans a reason to hate Sugo (because honestly, did anyone really like him?)

Anyways this thread is getting too long so I conclude my debate here. [END]
13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

AmazingStef wrote:


AshRandom wrote:

The real question is what makes you so uncomfortable about human sexuality?

It's a normal and natural part of life, there's no shame in it.


Indeed it is! Sex is indeed awesome! And the reason most of us are there to discuss the topic to begin with.

But to be honest a lot of fanservice does bother me. Not because of the sex but because of the way it's presented, most of the time it's not something a character is doing, it's something DONE to them. Gratuitous panty shots while the girl looks like she wants to be somewhere else, stupidly huge breasts bouncing like water baloons, really stupid combat outfits with more skin area than armor...

It often feels gratuitous and out of place, and sometimes even a bit degrading when you go to extremes like Queen's Blade.

It's not the end of the world, and in my case has a lot to do with taste. I find Benten from Eccentric Familly extremely hot, yet she's not sexualised despite being very, very sexy.


Sounds like a paper thin rationalization.

To put it bluntly, if what you said about yourself was actually true, you would have no motivation to complain. Since this is clearly not the case, you should consider further self analysis.

Let me be clear, there's nothing "degrading" about erotic artwork, regardless of how the artists choose to present it. Why? Because in the end it's just artwork. Since it springs from the imagination of the artist it is beyond anyone's moralizing intuitions.These are not photographs, or figurines of real people, nor is anime equivalent to video of real individuals, whose existence is required if they are to be degraded. Your argument is invalid due to its nonsensical and flimsy premise. Fictional characters do not suffer when lacking in modesty, as abstract concepts cannot suffer embarrassment, or defamation.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.