First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply Hypersexualization of Anime
19735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

LucinaStar wrote:

Well, I've always had this small theory in my mind as to why sex is less tolerated over here than violence. I think it's because sex is viewed as a private activity while violence has a lot more public events that all ages can watch and participate in. I mean, you have wrestling, boxing MMA, karate, etc, all of these events have some form of violence and are public.

Even kids have their own versions of some of these events. Yet I don't see a public sex focused event over here and that all ages can join in, having millions of people that can sit there and watch you "get it on".

So yeah, like I said this is just my small theory has to why sex over here has a tighter leash than violence. Even though it's part of nature (the same way that nudity is) you gotta admit most people let their 6 year old view something violent (it could be even in a Disney film) before they look at a full sexual act even though both are a part a human nature.

Makes sense, but I also have the view that religion and "traditional values" may also have a part to play. According to most Christian sects having sex outside of marriage is a sin, and for a long time a lot of people believed in this. Some still do. While America has mostly broken out of this mentality, I feel that the effects of it are still felt today. Because people were so conservative about sex for so long, the media was as well. While the media is no longer as hamstrung as it once was, sex is still seen as something that should be separate from the rest of media. Thus, people get uncomfortable and confused when there's blatant sexualization in something that isn't porn, especially if it's trying to talk about it seriously and not superficially. Add to this the fear of getting called sexist by modern day feminists for doing this, and you have a media that tends to shy away from most displays of sexuality at all cost. And media always informs culture.
11381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

AshRandom wrote:

Sounds like a paper thin rationalization.

To put it bluntly, if what you said about yourself was actually true, you would have no motivation to complain. Since this is clearly not the case, you should consider further self analysis.


... The last two pages of discussion about the difference between mature content and fanservice went right above your head, hasn't it?

If you can't see the difference between the nudity in, say, Eccentric Familly and High School of the dead, well, I just can't help you there.
25338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
1) Regarding the discussion on the difference between mature content and fanservice, I want to throw out there I never intended to say that nothing sexual should be in anime. Mature sexual content, as a part of reality, has its place in anime. If there is a tastefully done shower scene, fine, because conversations do happen in the showers.

2) In response to the whole "sex sells" argument, I'm surprised that a group of people who are clearly intelligent haven't challenged that more. Yeah, sex sells. You know what else sells? Good stories, good characters, and good writing. I haven't watched enough classic anime to bring up any really stellar examples, but things like FMA and Brotherhood did just fine with really excellent artistic production, without drenching their content in sex.
1860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/28/13

BloodshedBoss wrote:


drakedogma wrote:


BloodshedBoss wrote:


drakedogma wrote:


BloodshedBoss wrote:


zendude wrote:


I really liked Asuna in SAO. She was not, I felt ever presented as a sex object

Never read SAO 16.5 I take it. "LAWL"


But yeah. Sex sells. It's easy to get some butter on that bread with something like that.



Might I remind you that the forum is about "Hypersexualization of ANIME" not light novels, so you can't use 16.5 as an argument.

In the anime of SAO, Asuna was rarely portrayed in a sexual manner (save for the one warp gate incident, the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her and Sugu's abuse in ALO.)

SAO always had a wholesome feeling to it, especially since Kirito and Asuna actually got married.


Rarely portrayed? Excluding 16.5, she still stripped down to her bra and panties, despite being a "Knight" she wears a short skirt, and what about the beautifully pointless tentacle scene? I can remember several instances when she was sexualized, but not as much as other characters probably because several instances in the story, there wasn't much of a chance to do so, despite the lack of opportunity to sexualize her, you can still sense the lack of respect to her character. Also, I forget how long those two were together, but getting married so freakin quickly doesn't feel wholesome at all, it feels rushed and stupid.


First of all, by no means did they get married quickly, it was technically just under 2 years between when they met and when they got married, in reality the average time is about 3 years (also keep in mind the ever present chance of dying in SAO, that would kind of speed things up a bit.) If you find their marriage to be "stupid," that's your opinion, personally I find it quite romantic.
And when I said "the misunderstanding about Kirito staying with her" I was referring to Asuna's undressing sequence. Plus you can barely call wearing a short skirt sexualization, especially since she wears a sort-of overcoat as well. And Silica's tentacle incident? she covered herself up, so there was nothing sexual about it. All of the so-called sexualized incidents come across as accidental and lend to the realism of the story, otherwise would feel forced and unnatural. (Might I also add that I refuse to watch anime which uses blatant sexuality, so SAO has to be pretty clean in that sense.)


Alright, my mistake on how long they were together, but still, it doesn't change the fact that what WE see in their relationship was short and Twilight-level sappy. Despite being together for 2 years, to us, it was like a few episodes before they just fell in contrived 1 dimensional love. 2 years, 10 years, 50 years, etc. it doesn't matter since we only saw a few episodes. And I didn't mean Silica, I mean't Asuna's tentacle scene during the 2nd arc, it simply served no purpose to anything.


True, I tend not to think of ALO since I didn't really like it mostly due to the presentation of Asuna, but I feel like that's less fanservice, and more of giving real fans a reason to hate Sugo (because honestly, did anyone really like him?)

Anyways this thread is getting too long so I conclude my debate here. [END]


I don't hate Sugou, I just hate how he's written. A Bad guy who is bad just for the sake of being bad = Unbelievably lazy writing.
22650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
Good writing sells, but only if you give it a chance. Humans generally have some sort of sexual attraction wired into their beings. While you don't have to be some pervert, or even have sexual desires for some sort of over-sexualization to grab your attention, even if it is for a second. It helps even if it is fan-based, as long as the name gets passed around, then the people catch wind of it and eventually come across it more and more, until people decide to check it out. So, even when it doesn't, sex sells.
15159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

iblessall wrote:

EXAMPLE 2: It also bugs me when I encounter things like Junichiro's password and fetish in Blast of Tempest, which is my all time favorite anime. What is mostly a dramatic, mature and brilliantly constructed show runs into a stupid password like "Boobs that don't bounce aren't boobs at all." It's out of character for the show, but it's still there.


lol... out of character you say? *shakes head*



and that was, what, the first EPISODE!?!!! LOLOLOL



Black Rock Shooter is a pretty good example of a successful anime that isn't Hypersexualized.


-edit-


then you got your anime like Star Driver that uses hypersexualization to actually tell the story or drive the point. that was a good use of "sex" in anime! love that one.
25338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

Compl3te wrote:


iblessall wrote:

EXAMPLE 2: It also bugs me when I encounter things like Junichiro's password and fetish in Blast of Tempest, which is my all time favorite anime. What is mostly a dramatic, mature and brilliantly constructed show runs into a stupid password like "Boobs that don't bounce aren't boobs at all." It's out of character for the show, but it's still there.


lol... out of character you say? *shakes head*



and that was, what, the first EPISODE!?!!! LOLOLOL



Black Rock Shooter is a pretty good example of a successful anime that isn't Hypersexualized.


-edit-


then you got your anime like Star Driver that uses hypersexualization to actually tell the story or drive the point. that was a good use of "sex" in anime! love that one.


Aside from your extremely patronizing tone, allow me to inform you that the screenshot you posted is NOT from the first episode. Furthermore, in the context of that particular moment, it's not as blatant that picture makes it out to be. Could they have chosen to shoot that scene differently? Yeah, sure, but that moment is particularly sexual, especially in context.

Next time you try to mock someone, at least get your picture right.

EDIT: Whoo, that was aggressive. *takes a few deep breaths*
25338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

Compl3te wrote:


iblessall wrote:



Aside from your extremely patronizing tone, allow me to inform you that the screenshot you posted is NOT from the first episode. Furthermore, in the context of that particular moment, it's not as blatant that picture makes it out to be. Could they have chosen to shoot that scene differently? Yeah, sure, but that moment is particularly sexual, especially in context.

Next time you try to mock someone, at least get your picture right.

EDIT: Whoo, that was aggressive. *takes a few deep breaths*

I didn't know I had that kind of affect.
let the hate consume you.


I think it was just mostly the tone I was hearing. No hard feelings.

And yeah, it's subtle in that scene you mentioned from the first episode, but in this particular case subtle=tasteful and in context it makes sense. To me, that's not hypersexualized, it's just how things are.
Tarya 
47511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / F / Glen Allen, Virgi...
Offline
Posted 8/28/13
I find it interesting that through reading this thread, most of the examples of sexualization that have been given are female anime characters, and most the responses in this thread are from men...just an observation (nothing meant by it).

As a female, I don't usually have a problem with overt sexual content. Does it need to be in everything, probably not. I can't do anything other than not watch if I don't like it or am that offended by it though.
Honestly, I have never stopped watching an anime series because of fanservice or boob/panties shots.
I have stopped watching because of lack of plot or character development. I have noticed increased fanservice in anime's that seem to lack a strong storyline, but the fanservice in and of itself has never deterred me from watching.

Then again, maybe I am not a typical woman because I don't mind hentai or porn either...
Banned
572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13
Why the hell is this even an issue? If you dont want the mature subjects in anime: Go watch an anime for 5 year old girls, or 2, go watch western children's cartoons.

I am sick of these disgusting prudes complaining about sexuality. I feel like they are jealous and very very lacking in self-confidence, so much so that they have to bash everything.




I am very proud of myself, for one. And I very much LOVE 'sexual' anime. I am not afraid of it. It's really nice to have in a world full of annoying hyper-feminists, prudes, shamers of sexual pride, and people with no self confidence.


EDIT:
I forgot to include the 'white knight' men whom take the side of said hyper-feminist women, I find that to be LAUGHABLE.
11381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

Compl3te wrote:

then you got your anime like Star Driver that uses hypersexualization to actually tell the story or drive the point. that was a good use of "sex" in anime! love that one.


Must say Watamote deserves an honorable mention, it actually deals with sexuality a lot:, even if it's often presented in a very unsexy way. Remember when her dad found her asleep?


Tarya wrote:

I find it interesting that through reading this thread, most of the examples of sexualization that have been given are female anime characters, and most the responses in this thread are from men...just an observation (nothing meant by it)


Oh it IS a perfetly valid observation. Much of the anime discussed, especially the most blatant stuff wich has barely a hint of a story, is VERY obviously targetted at male audiences. It's only natural guys discuss it. I'm now wondering what is the gender ratio of posters on this board, now that you brought that up.

In my case some fanservice also feels kinda skeevy because of the age of the girls being sexualised. Take the Evangelion movies. Remember the clear test plug suits? No matter how you want to look at it, in my case there's no escaping that when I'm watching it we have a 37 year old man ogling a 14 year old girl wearing a transparent latex suit. That's kinda messed up.


15159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 8/28/13 , edited 8/28/13

iblessall wrote:

And yeah, it's subtle in that scene you mentioned from the first episode, but in this particular case subtle=tasteful and in context it makes sense. To me, that's not hypersexualized, it's just how things are.


it's hard for me to catch up on all these small essays people are writing but I caught a few things you were saying after I wrote that and it was more in detail in regards to what your original post said. so, I understood a little more about what the tone was. that scene was in good taste, I do agree.

it's like they say, if someone could read minds, they would be disgusted at what they would find out, and that goes for all of you. you know it to be true. so, that's why I disagreed w/the password thing & the fetish. a password is something you don't share, essentially, you know? but as I say, to each their own.
34498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
Sex only sells to a degree... Once there's explicit sex in it, it turns into porn... now that might help a poorly written anime sell better (perhaps it will help the vast majority of shows)... but to a well written show it will have the opposite effect.

Take your favorite popular anime... Imagine going back in time and having the production team add lots of explicit sex to it. Do you think it will sell better or worse?
311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/29/13

DivinePrince wrote:

Why the hell is this even an issue? If you dont want the mature subjects in anime: Go watch an anime for 5 year old girls, or 2, go watch western children's cartoons.

I am sick of these disgusting prudes complaining about sexuality. I feel like they are jealous and very very lacking in self-confidence, so much so that they have to bash everything.




I am very proud of myself, for one. And I very much LOVE 'sexual' anime. I am not afraid of it. It's really nice to have in a world full of annoying hyper-feminists, prudes, shamers of sexual pride, and people with no self confidence.


EDIT:
I forgot to include the 'white knight' men whom take the side of said hyper-feminist women, I find that to be LAUGHABLE.


I think some of those "laughable" white knights might just want a better environment for their daughters than what exists today. Also, I think the stuff about "hyper-feminist" seemed a bit mean-spirited. Hyper-anything is problematic, but I don't see why the above criticism was necessary to bring up.

I'd also guess it's a minority of anime watchers, mostly non-adults, who would see a small amount of fanservice, get upset, and complain. They might not care for fanservice when they get older, but they probably won't type in caps about it. Sorry, I think I'm trolling a bit. But the opinions contained herein are for real, if you'll excuse my tone. I do agree that the U.S. mainstream tends somewhat more on the prudish side, and I wouldn't mind some change on that front.

As for me, I don't mind fanservice (somehow made it through High School DxD season 1, and I tried season 2, but the front part of my brain said no). I prefer serious animes, though I like some mindless ones too. Anyway, I think I share with OP a concern about lack of respect-worthy female characters in anime; the girls with weapons thing is nice, but that only goes so far.

As a concluding remark, even though I know better than to judge a country by their media output, I can't help but wonder about what Japanese women have to put up with in their society. Probably not tentacles on a daily basis, but you never know...
Banned
572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/29/13 , edited 8/29/13

Quaternion wrote:


DivinePrince wrote:

Why the hell is this even an issue? If you dont want the mature subjects in anime: Go watch an anime for 5 year old girls, or 2, go watch western children's cartoons.

I am sick of these disgusting prudes complaining about sexuality. I feel like they are jealous and very very lacking in self-confidence, so much so that they have to bash everything.




I am very proud of myself, for one. And I very much LOVE 'sexual' anime. I am not afraid of it. It's really nice to have in a world full of annoying hyper-feminists, prudes, shamers of sexual pride, and people with no self confidence.


EDIT:
I forgot to include the 'white knight' men whom take the side of said hyper-feminist women, I find that to be LAUGHABLE.


I think some of those "laughable" white knights might just want a better environment for their daughters than what exists today. Also, I think the stuff about "hyper-feminist" seemed a bit mean-spirited. Hyper-anything is problematic, but I don't see why the above criticism was necessary to bring up.

I'd also guess it's a minority of anime watchers, mostly non-adults, who would see a small amount of fanservice, get upset, and complain. They might not care for fanservice when they get older, but they probably won't type in caps about it. Sorry, I think I'm trolling a bit. But the opinions contained herein are for real, if you'll excuse my tone. I do agree that the U.S. mainstream tends somewhat more on the prudish side, and I wouldn't mind some change on that front.

As for me, I don't mind fanservice (somehow made it through High School DxD season 1, and I tried season 2, but the front part of my brain said no). I prefer serious animes, though I like some mindless ones too. Anyway, I think I share with OP a concern about lack of respect-worthy female characters in anime; the girls with weapons thing is nice, but that only goes so far.

As a concluding remark, even though I know better than to judge a country by their media output, I can't help but wonder about what Japanese women have to put up with in their society. Probably not tentacles on a daily basis, but you never know...








Well I am sorry, but I still completely disagree with your opinions. As a women, a human; I will be open about sexuality. I will watch lovely boobies fly in the air, and butt shots and I will love it to no end.


I will raise my children to respect nudity. They will grow used to it and be able to appreciate the beautiful human body.


- also, I am rude. I like being rude. That's the way I am, and I wont change. The whole 'accept me for me' thing is a double edged sword.
- I am a troll, so I am very used to other people being trolls. It's fun.

- At least Japan has accepted sexuality. the women put up with it because they dont care.


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.