First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply Hypersexualization of Anime
9227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/29/13

WednesdayBookLove wrote:
They complain about girls being portrayed negatively, yet that's all they focus on. They don't bother to mention that there are a lot of shows that have strong-willed women that are able to take care of themselves. San from Princess Mononoke and Saki from Shin Sekai Yori are very good examples of female characters that are very strong and able to take care of themselves. People like to only focus on the oversexualized characters in order to prove their point.


There's also Balsa from Moribito. Heck this season has two very good female characters, Benten in Eccentric Familly and Hajime in Gatchaman Crowds.

A) They're comparatively rare.

B) They're characters that are rarely, if ever, used for fanservice.

21299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/29/13

WednesdayBookLove wrote:

If "hypersexualization" is something that bothers you, the simple solution is to ignore it and move on with your life. You can let it both you all you want, but complaining about it on an online forum isn't going to change anything. It seems as though you're saying that sexual fanart and fanfiction shouldn't be created by fans and that companies shouldn't make sexual merchandise, simply because it offends you. The thing is though, you actually have to search for sexual fanart and fanfiction, and most places that sell merchandise have the more sexual/provocative merchandise in another section you actually have to physically go to. And it's pretty pathetic to try to claim that people just shouldn't even create this kind of stuff because even the thought of it disgusts you.

*sigh* The number of people, including me, who have complained in this thread are actually pretty low. Most of the people who have been complaining are actually people coming from the other side of the conversation, who are slamming us as "disgusting prudes" and the like. I like anime a lot and I just wanted to have a discussion on an aspect of the industry that I noticed. And the bolded part you just totally made up.


I love how you speak mostly of Blast of Tempest, and how it's a "dramatic, mature and brilliantly constructed show," yet you completely ignored the fact that Junichiro's obsession with boobs is not the only sexual reference/image in the show.
My point is, the sexual references and images are put into the show because it's so serious. It adds a comedic undertone so the viewers don't feel overwhelmed by the dramatic tone of the show and can have a little comic relief. If you don't like it, or think the show needed a different form of comic relief, then that's your opinion. I personally was okay with the sexual undertones, but I guess I would be since one of my favorite anime is Highschool of the Dead.

The only response I have to this is CONTEXT. But that's already been talked about, so just go back a few pages and see what's already been written about this already.


Basically, what I'd like to say to everyone that complains about sexual content in anime, manga, or any type of media is that it's never going to go away and if you don' t like it, you don't have to watch the anime, read the manga, or engage yourself in any media with sexual content. And if a show you like takes a sexual turn that ends up disappointing you, well, disappointment happens, and I've had many series (anime, manga, books, TV, movies, ect) disappoint me. But rather than go on the internet and complain about it, I move on with my life and find something else that doesn't disappoint me.

Again, few people are complaining, we're just discussing a common theme about an art form we enjoy. I agree with you that it's possible to avoid stuff with sexual content (I'll never watch Queen's Blade). But there is nothing wrong with being disappointed with something, and these forums are a place to discuss anime and our likes and disappointments. Plus, I like hearing from people who have a different view than me, as long as they aren't being rude and calling people names (for clarification, I didn't think you were being rude or calling names at all-no accusation meant).
4656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
There are also shows that use sexual images and nudity as art, instead of just fanservice. It's not there just to sell the show/movie, rather it serves a purpose in being there. Ninja Scroll has a lot of sexual content in it, but it's not boob and panty shots for the hell of it. It all serves a purpose, just as the nudity in Ghost in the Shell is more artistic than it is sexual objectification. So, just as there are shows that portray women as strong and independent, there is also anime out there that uses sexual content and nudity for an actual purpose within the show, not just to try to boost sales.

Granted, I do agree that there are shows that you can tell they are just trying to use misplaced fanservice to boost sales. I like ecchi, but I've come across some shows that are classified as ecchi, but just have misplaced fanservice that interrupts the enjoyment of the show. I personally thought the fanservice was subtle enough to fit into Blast of Tempest, but the random panty shots in 11 Eyes and Myself;Yourself were so out of place and made me think, "really?" I personally believe if a show claims to be ecchi, it should go all out the way Highschool of the Dead does. Or, the fanservice should be just subtle enough to not interrupt the show, just like Blast of Tempest.
9396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/29/13 , edited 8/29/13
In my opinion a certain amount of romance and sexuality are necessary for a well written,developing story but when the focus shifts from creating a well written,developing story to sexuality and fanservice it greatly affects the quality of the work.

On the other hand I think that the artist who produce anime and manga have the right to produce whatever kind of
product they want and that the people have a choice to either take it or leave it .

I will leave you all with one of my favorite sayings " Opinions are like A-Holes everyone has one"
4656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 8/29/13


The part you bolded was the attitude I got from your post. Your post sounded pretentious, even if that's not how you meant it. Almost like you're saying people should stop sexualizing your favorite character's because it's ruining your image of them. And while few people on Crunchyroll are complaining about sexualization, I have seen many people complaining on other forums, Youtube videos, and else where on the internet. A lot of people are saying that fanservice has gone too far, that it should stop being put into their favorite anime, that people should stop sexualizing characters. However, as many have said, this is not a recent trend and it likely won't stop, partly because anime studios' first audience they worry about is Japan and what they want.
21299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/29/13

WednesdayBookLove wrote:



The part you bolded was the attitude I got from your post. Your post sounded pretentious, even if that's not how you meant it. Almost like you're saying people should stop sexualizing your favorite character's because it's ruining your image of them. And while few people on Crunchyroll are complaining about sexualization, I have seen many people complaining on other forums, Youtube videos, and else where on the internet. A lot of people are saying that fanservice has gone too far, that it should stop being put into their favorite anime, that people should stop sexualizing characters. However, as many have said, this is not a recent trend and it likely won't stop, partly because anime studios' first audience they worry about is Japan and what they want.

I guess I could understand how it could be read as pretentious, but I don't really think it really sounds pretentious. I didn't mean it to be pretentious. All I stated was the way that it affected me and then I asked what other people thought. I'm guessing you're coming from the other side of the argument from me, so my original post sounded "prudish" or something because of the way you were expecting me to think. I just wanted to start the discussion and see what other people thought about it. As far as people stopping sexualizing my favorite characters, yeah, I'd prefer that it didn't happen, but it's possible to avoid it and I have not ever said that it should be stopped altogether. If I thought that, I would have said it already.
4656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F
Offline
Posted 8/29/13
I see that you're starting to start a discussion about the overabundance of sexual content in anime, and in some respects I agree that it can go over board or be misplaced. But, I also acknowledge that it happens and that I can't stop people outside the studio from making undesirable fanart and fanfiction and merchandise. I think your argument needed to be more specific and not just focus on the sexual side of things, like I stated above. It does make people look pretentious when they only focus on the sexual content, rather than also acknowledging anime and manga that don't focus on fanservice and have very strong-willed characters. Also, a lot of times when people argue against sex and nudity being in anime and manga and media in general, sometimes they seem to skip over the fact that sex and nudity can have an actual purpose, other than to boost sales or "serve the fans."
21299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/29/13

WednesdayBookLove wrote:

I see that you're starting to start a discussion about the overabundance of sexual content in anime, and in some respects I agree that it can go over board or be misplaced. But, I also acknowledge that it happens and that I can't stop people outside the studio from making undesirable fanart and fanfiction and merchandise. I think your argument needed to be more specific and not just focus on the sexual side of things, like I stated above. It does make people look pretentious when they only focus on the sexual content, rather than also acknowledging anime and manga that don't focus on fanservice and have very strong-willed characters. Also, a lot of times when people argue against sex and nudity being in anime and manga and media in general, sometimes they seem to skip over the fact that sex and nudity can have an actual purpose, other than to boost sales or "serve the fans."


That's why I referenced context earlier. I agree that it can have a purpose, and we've kinda talked about that and how it's a good thing when tastefully done. My point was just that there is an abundance of it around, far more than not, and all along people have been bringing up exceptions to the rule.
16513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/29/13

The point of my post was not to refute the effectiveness of fanservice. I was pointing out that most people who are opposing sexual content in anime have a problem with how it is used and not simply because it is used in anime, which is what you were trying to assert. Also, from reading your post again, this: "I am very proud of myself, for one. And I very much LOVE 'sexual' anime. I am not afraid of it. It's really nice to have in a world full of annoying hyper-feminists, prudes, shamers of sexual pride, and people with no self confidence." makes it seem like you are being defensive and are assuming the people who oppose fanservice in anime are looking down on you and think you are wrong for what you happen to enjoy in anime. From what I have read in this forum, no one, including myself, is doing that. Our issue is with the producers, not the customers.
Banned
15159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 9/5/13

iblessall wrote:

EXAMPLE 1: Thus, when I see things like this http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/08/26-1/chara-ani-prepares-sword-art-online-asuna-new-wives-always-say-yes-figure it really bothers me. I really liked Asuna in SAO. She was not, I felt ever presented as a sex object (that's right, not even in the second arc, because Sugou's lust was obviously portrayed as evil). She was a fighter, survivor and a pure figure. So seeing her in a clearly sexualized figure (figure title, position, blush on her cheeks) really bothers me because of the ideal I have for her. This continues in fan art and, I'm sure, fan fiction (from which I plan to stay far away).


Episode 10
Your Asuna...



iblessall wrote:

EXAMPLE 2: It also bugs me when I encounter things like Junichiro's password and fetish in Blast of Tempest, which is my all time favorite anime. What is mostly a dramatic, mature and brilliantly constructed show runs into a stupid password like "Boobs that don't bounce aren't boobs at all." It's out of character for the show, but it's still there.



the Hakaze Kusaribe


time travel? WTF is that??


and
the Mahiro Fuwa
"non-sexualized character"
this ^ ^ ^ goes so well w/this v v v


iblessall wrote:

EXAMPLE 3: Just to show that this goes beyond the female sexualization, take a gander at this photo.
Again, sexualization of a very non-sexualized character in the story. It, in some ways, damages my view of Mahiro as a character and turns him into an object (same thing applies to example 1).



aeb0717 wrote:


Specifically, the one on the right, Sanosuke Harada. He's a goof, too.


IKR!?!




I had to break it down. it's just everywhere. you can't fight it, you can't beat it. the purpose of life is to create. without the attraction/urge to "create" we wouldn't be here. let's pay a tiny bit of homage or "fan-service" to the driving force of our existence.


I know it's all hard to remember but we all look...


...not as impossible as it seems.

Kamina once said to, "kick reason to the curb and surpass the impossible!"
39387 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
To me, the sexualization has gone too far when little girls' busts don't match their age and/or they act sexually mature, or the anime's story isn't as big as the tits. I can think of several off the top of my head where a grade school girl is more like a dog in heat, it's like they're normalizing pedo/hebephilia sometimes and it's disgusting.

And if they have to make the anime about sex just to sell it, there's no problem with that, but it doesn't need to litter the good anime, go all the way and just make it hentai.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/6/14

WednesdayBookLove wrote:


kingdanny4754 wrote:

I think people are mad that there is too much over sexual scenes in anime. I don't complain I either watch it or not. I see a lot of feminists raging mad that these girls are shown as dumb, young, pretty, and have a lot of sexual power which they will never have. MGTOW for life. Live and let die.


They complain about girls being portrayed negatively, yet that's all they focus on. They don't bother to mention that there are a lot of shows that have strong-willed women that are able to take care of themselves. San from Princess Mononoke and Saki from Shin Sekai Yori are very good examples of female characters that are very strong and able to take care of themselves. People like to only focus on the oversexualized characters in order to prove their point.


The reason we are focused on negatively portrayed women is because, frankly, they happen more often than well done women these days. I have to sift through ridiculous amounts of anime with barely-tolerable, paper-thin female sex objects masquerading as legitimate characters before I can find a decent anime with an actual story. I don't care if a woman has sex or is portrayed sexually as long as that is not the only purpose she serves.
12482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 3/6/14 , edited 3/6/14
Hypersexualized anime = the junk food of anime. It's cheap, easy to get, sells well, doesn't leave a lasting impression (at least not a positive one) and isn't good for you. There will always be people lining up to gorge on Big Mac's, and there will always be people lining up to gorge on moe loli panty shots.

Even though I personally am grossed out by both, I've come to realize that there isn't a whole lot I can do about it other than not consume it.
11724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 3/6/14

yoyomaieggroll wrote:

The reason we are focused on negatively portrayed women is because, frankly, they happen more often than well done women these days. I have to sift through ridiculous amounts of anime with barely-tolerable, paper-thin female sex objects masquerading as legitimate characters before I can find a decent anime with an actual story. I don't care if a woman has sex or is portrayed sexually as long as that is not the only purpose she serves.


We've always seen far more Stereotyped 1-Dimensional characters than proper legitimate ones, regardless of Genders.

I'll say we've seen far better Female characters lately than we have in several years. Shows like Magi and Kill la Kill provide great examples of Female(and male!) characters done very well.

I'll be honest, I'm sick and tired of the stereotyped "strong independent Woman" character. I mean, make them strong sure, but why is "strong and independent" an acceptable character? It's simply another stereotype that thrives on the "opposite of feminine" ideals it brings.

A bad character is a bad character, regardless of their roles and functions. I'll take a well written sex-object over a poorly written Tsundere or Action Girl any day.

It's all in the quality of the character. They should work, regardless of gender.... but gender shouldn't be ignored, as it often is.

As long as they work on their character's, I don't care what purpose they serve.
9283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 3/6/14 , edited 3/6/14
I'm not necessarily a fan of hypersexualized anime, but in a sense, I am. Basically...
I like boobs. Lots of people like boobs. Even lots of girls like boobs. Boobs are nice. Also, butts. Female figures are nice all in all.
However, I have to agree that most hypersexualized anime is junk. I've found that lots of the ecchi shows I watch seem to focus only on ecchi, and I rate them poorly as a result. It's junk, it sells well, and you don't have to put in lots of production effort because there are boobs. However, I treasure hypersexualized anime that has a plot with developing characters and a strong/mostly strong male protagonist (for me, Highschool DxD, Sekirei, To Love-Ru Darkness (not the other two seasons though)). These are extremely hard to come by, and because I like this but also like boobs, I enjoy it quite a lot.
Now, to close, let me say two things:
I agree that the small parts about boobs in Blast of Tempest were out of place and that there was no need for them. It's a small flaw in a small amount of shows, but I think we can overlook them.
If anime merchandise that has been hypersexualized ruins your image of a character, you have a very weak constitution. If art, fan fiction, and merchandise like that bothers you, stay away from it. Nobody is asking you to buy them and they're not affecting the flow of new anime.

Also (edit):
All anime, in a sense, is sexualized. Your chances of finding an honest, pure female with an extremely busty figure who is head-over-heels in love with you is close to zero. Some shows just like to turn on hyperdrive switch and make those females constantly show you some skin.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.