First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Accents?
35243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 3/9/14
Russian/American
16239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 3/9/14 , edited 3/9/14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keQ_0Ac1gbU

Here's a sample of my favorite accent in Norway. Eastern europeans and russians speaking english often have a nice sound to it. And southern US accents are also kinda nice.
49941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 3/9/14 , edited 3/9/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Christ, I'm shocked to see how many people think 'British' is an accent. You do know there's Cockney, Scouse, Brummie, Scottish, Glaswegian, Yorkshire accent, King's/Queen's English etc. right? It's both as broad and silly as saying you speak United States of America. Britain is not a country, nor is the UK. It's a collection of countries, and within those countries there's a collection of accents.

Now I presume what you're referring to is the well spoken "posh" King's English which I mentioned earlier. That's an accent. I'm not trying to sound rude but it's surprising that about 75% of everyone on here doesn't know that Britain isn't a country lol.


They probably mean "a" British accent, not British accent as in "the" British accent. Meaning, they (probably) don't know what specific region the particular accent came from that they're addressing, but they can identify it as being from the United Kingdom or around there. This is the same if it were America, or France, for example...

Also, technically, the United Kingdom is a nation because they're all ruled by the same government. Wales, Northern Ireland, England aren't countries in this regard. Scotland isn't a country.
10053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 3/9/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Christ, I'm shocked to see how many people think 'British' is an accent. You do know there's Cockney, Scouse, Brummie, Scottish, Glaswegian, Yorkshire accent, King's/Queen's English etc. right? It's both as broad and silly as saying you speak United States of America. Britain is not a country, nor is the UK. It's a collection of countries, and within those countries there's a collection of accents.

Now I presume what you're referring to is the well spoken "posh" King's English which I mentioned earlier. That's an accent. I'm not trying to sound rude but it's surprising that about 75% of everyone on here doesn't know that Britain isn't a country lol.


They probably mean "a" British accent, not British accent as in "the" British accent. Meaning, they (probably) don't know what specific region the particular accent came from that they're addressing, but they can identify it as being from the United Kingdom or around there. This is the same if it were America, or France, for example...

Also, technically, the United Kingdom is a nation because they're all ruled by the same government. Wales, Northern Ireland, England aren't countries in this regard. Scotland isn't a country.


Well regardless of what they mean, it doesn't defeat the fact that there's no such thing as a 'British' accent.
49941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 3/9/14 , edited 3/9/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Well regardless of what they mean, it doesn't defeat the fact that there's no such thing as a 'British' accent.


Right, but that's the thing. I think most of them know there isn't such a thing as a "British accent" -- it's just easier to lump them together as one thing since, face it, nobody but a native speaker or someone who's researched the regions of the United Kingdom would know the differences in accents. Heck, there's even no way they're probably able to tell the difference between someone from North London and someone from South London, if there is one -- which I'm sure there must be.

10053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 3/9/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Well regardless of what they mean, it doesn't defeat the fact that there's no such thing as a 'British' accent.


Right, but that's the thing. I think most of them know there isn't such a thing as a "British accent" -- it's just easier to lump them together as one thing since, face it, nobody but a native speaker or someone who's researched the regions of the United Kingdom would know the differences in accents. Heck, there's even no way they're probably able to tell the difference between someone from North London and someone from South London, if there is one -- which I'm sure there must be.



Well the last time I heard anyone foreign talk about the UK they thought Scotland was a country far away from it, and believed that Ireland was a part of the UK so I've not a clue what they know. Someone else thought the UK is just like the US except we all speak funny so I wouldn't put them thinking British is an accent past them.
49941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 3/9/14 , edited 3/9/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Well the last time I heard anyone foreign talk about the UK they thought Scotland was a country far away from it, and believed that Ireland was a part of the UK so I've not a clue what they know. Someone else thought the UK is just like the US except we all speak funny so I wouldn't put them thinking British is an accent past them.


As much as I dislike using the word, ignorance is everywhere and in all people, just in some more than others.
10053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 3/9/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Well the last time I heard anyone foreign talk about the UK they thought Scotland was a country far away from it, and believed that Ireland was a part of the UK so I've not a clue what they know. Someone else thought the UK is just like the US except we all speak funny so I wouldn't put them thinking British is an accent past them.


As much as I dislike using the word, ignorance is everywhere and in all people, just in some more than others.


Yeah I guess. You find it a lot on the internet lol. At least I'll admit I've been guilty of it many times before heh heh.
3142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 3/22/14 , edited 3/22/14
Girls who have an Australian accent!! WOOAAHHH!!!

If you have that accent, girl or guy, you are now my friend!
6304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Leicester, Englan...
Offline
Posted 3/23/14
I'm a British girl but I've been told (more than once) that I sound Australian, Canadian, American and Kiwi before. So now I don't know what I actually sound like.

In terms of the accents I like I have soft spots for: South African (Johannesburg specifically), some Canadian and Irish.
4365 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / West Coast
Offline
Posted 3/23/14
YES my dad's family is from Norway, and their accents are so cool. that'd have to be one of my favorite accents. it gives me chills every time i skype with my cousin. i'm hella envious.
18069 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Wales, UK
Offline
Posted 3/23/14
I love the Scandinavian accents in honestly, got a lot of friends from that part of the world as well :).
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.