First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Drug Testing For Welfare and/or food stamps
3508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Des moines IA
Offline
Posted 9/3/13
There is a lot of talk about states making it mandatory to for people drop (drug test) before getting welfare and/or food stamps. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Also, if duplicate thread I am sorry and lock it. I am having computer troubles and couldn't look for some reason.
54127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 9/3/13
This is a case of looking at what is optimal, ethical and compassionate. The optimal solution for society would be to test for drugs and even go as far as give prescription drugs to increase productivity. The compassionate answer is to provide regardless since someone in need is usually in need for a reason. The ethical slant is a bit more complicated as the question comes into play as what drugs are we talking about and if such things really matter.
66790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ???????? ?? ?????
Offline
Posted 9/3/13
It's not really the drug testing I get bent over.

It's the people abusing the system. You can be a non-drug user and bleed the system easily.

In addition, in Utah, of all the people tested, only 12 results were positive for drug use.
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/27/welfare-drug-testing_n_3822750.html
pi5678 
43066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / F / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 9/3/13
ya know, the biggest welfare recipients are corporations. so yes, definitely, stop subsidizing oil companies, ADM, Monsanto. good grief, why are we supporting the billionaire owners of walmart anyway?


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/government-subsidies-corporations_n_1912835.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dougbandow/2012/08/20/where-to-cut-the-federal-budget-start-by-killing-corporate-welfare/

http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/corporate-welfare-state-how-federal-government-subsidizes-us-businesses
12485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 9/3/13
If I have to take a drug test to get a job so I can pay taxes that others collect then yeah, they should have to pass a drug test to collect it. At the same time though, this really solves nothing.
54127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 9/3/13

pi5678 wrote:

ya know, the biggest welfare recipients are corporations. so yes, definitely, stop subsidizing oil companies, ADM, Monsanto. good grief, why are we supporting the billionaire owners of walmart anyway?


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/government-subsidies-corporations_n_1912835.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dougbandow/2012/08/20/where-to-cut-the-federal-budget-start-by-killing-corporate-welfare/

http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/corporate-welfare-state-how-federal-government-subsidizes-us-businesses


Welfare exists ideally to promote business and better the livelihood of the populace. Don't be naive to think that all of such measures are there to simply feed the rich and bleed the poor. Overreaching only obscures the real problems. Not saying that you are wrong in theory, just don't agree with the approach.
13058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 9/3/13
Yeah... I'm not going to comment on the various lawsuits going on right now due to this because I'm not a lawyer but is this a problem that needs to be solved? I mean, from what I've been reading. There has only been a handful of people who have been caught and it is costing the states thousands of dollars for this program.

I feel like this is just a huge waste of money in things that didn't even have a problem to begin with.
11197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/13 , edited 9/4/13

neonyte wrote:

This is a case of looking at what is optimal, ethical and compassionate. The optimal solution for society would be to test for drugs and even go as far as give prescription drugs to increase productivity. The compassionate answer is to provide regardless since someone in need is usually in need for a reason. The ethical slant is a bit more complicated as the question comes into play as what drugs are we talking about and if such things really matter.


dont bother using commas if you dont use commas " something, something, and something " -.- pff



crazysouthsider wrote:

There is a lot of talk about states making it mandatory to for people drop (drug test) before getting welfare and/or food stamps. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Also, if duplicate thread I am sorry and lock it. I am having computer troubles and couldn't look for some reason.


" making it mandatory to for people drop (drug test) before getting welfare "

i've read this statement 16+ times and have yet to understand what you're saying.... what is 'to for' what is 'drop before' -blinks-

i can only hope to summarize with a people get drug tested before getting food stamps ...


well um ... yes and no.... my opinion on food stamps is that they should be abolished .... why are people forced into feeding other people they don't want to help.... the people that steal kill rape disrespect the law ... and the people that don't try to make money - <<< people that don't need don't deserve my money


ok ok ok lets say i make 15k$ a year ... 4$ are taken away by the government for projects like.. killing people .. or um .. feeding people

i go days / weeks without eating... o why because i don't have kids... why don't i have kids.. well im smart enough to know i can't afford kids... hmmm so now the thefts are dumbass at best... yay.. yet people can retarded have kids and get free stuff from me????? from ME???!?!??! im worse off than they are and they're stealing my life!!!


so yes drug tests, but no ... drug test.....

drug is a relative - everything is a drug (EVERYTHING BY DEFINITION IS A DRUG) ... tests will cost more money and will steal more from already poor people that live honestly, but yes because of system abuse by the theives




Konacha wrote:

Yeah... I'm not going to comment on the various lawsuits going on right now due to this because I'm not a lawyer but is this a problem that needs to be solved? I mean, from what I've been reading. There has only been a handful of people who have been caught and it is costing the states thousands of dollars for this program.

I feel like this is just a huge waste of money in things that didn't even have a problem to begin with.


what does commenting have to do with being a lawyer?!?!?!?!?! and even then how can you say 'buy' and then comment??!?!?


you commented anyway! wtf

Combined multipost -Makoto
13058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Maryland
Offline
Posted 9/3/13

TriOpted wrote:


Konacha wrote:

Yeah... I'm not going to comment on the various lawsuits going on right now due to this because I'm not a lawyer but is this a problem that needs to be solved? I mean, from what I've been reading. There has only been a handful of people who have been caught and it is costing the states thousands of dollars for this program.

I feel like this is just a huge waste of money in things that didn't even have a problem to begin with.


what does commenting have to do with being a lawyer?!?!?!?!?! and even then how can you say 'buy' and then comment??!?!?


you commented anyway! wtf


Because I don't know law so why should I try to rush into talking about a lawsuit head on if I'm not a lawyer.

I heard from both sides how the rights of a person could have been violated by this law. So I said I wasn't going to talk about if the law is even LEGAL or not.

I commented on the law in general and itself of what I think about it as I said this law is a huge waste of time.
54127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 9/3/13

TriOpted wrote:


neonyte wrote:

This is a case of looking at what is optimal, ethical and compassionate. The optimal solution for society would be to test for drugs and even go as far as give prescription drugs to increase productivity. The compassionate answer is to provide regardless since someone in need is usually in need for a reason. The ethical slant is a bit more complicated as the question comes into play as what drugs are we talking about and if such things really matter.


dont bother using commas if you dont use commas " something, something, and something " -.- pff


Wow, what a pointless observation. I hope you realize that there is an ongoing debate about whether or not an Oxford comma is relevant. Most circles in literature I'm familiar with believe it is unnecessary and on the way out. I was tempted to quote a certain Vampire Weekend song but I'll withhold.
8766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / georgia, usa
Offline
Posted 9/4/13
would it be nice to know the people on the programs aren't on drugs yes. but you also have to imagine the amount of money it would take to run drug test on every single person on welfare and foodstamps. likely you'd spend more on the supplies and testing then you would find people who would fail. plus they tell you when the reviews are so all one would have to do is abstain from drugs a month or so ahead of time and they would pass. its frustrating knowing there are people out there cheating a system but there is no efficient way to catch them. and in honesty i think the bigger problem is people just straight up lying on their applications and reviews then drug addicts.
38235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 9/4/13
As long as it doesn't cost more to implement these tests and monitoring than what we could potentially save...

I don't pay taxes for these services so the government can say "AHA, YES, YOU'RE ON DRUGS, WE GOT YOU!". I actually want my money spent as effectively as possible. This doesn't sound like it would be cheap..
14199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Atlanta, GA
Online
Posted 9/4/13 , edited 9/4/13
I doubt they'd be as effective as touted. There's many ways to mask drugs, so unless they were very thorough (and likely expensive) it'd be hard to implement it successfully.

I think it's already been mentioned, but it's easy to abuse the system without even being on drugs. That's where they should start, fixing the problem at the core.

Case in point, right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrvnLpLjTuA
15024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 9/4/13
It's sadly necessary, because there's WAY too many people that want a free ride in this country. When you give handouts the way the US does, people stop trying to get jobs.

I'm sorry, but if you have no money, WHY WOULD YOU HAVE THIS MANY KIDS?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73CVOZiaqKc
13138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/4/13
Why is this being talked about on an anime website, lmaorofl? anyways, I'm for it.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.