First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply the bane of anime!
15140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/4/13

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I thought the bane of anime was all the moe kawaii desu desu stuff that comes out these days. But yours works too.



You don't know had badly I wanted this to be a moe bashing forum when I saw the title. On a serious note I wonder what demographic moe slice of life is actually targeted to in Japan compared to the neckbeards that eat it up on the other side of the Pacific.
9531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 9/4/13 , edited 9/4/13

ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I thought the bane of anime was all the moe kawaii desu desu stuff that comes out these days. But yours works too.



You don't know had badly I wanted this to be a moe bashing forum when I saw the title. On a serious note I wonder what demographic moe slice of life is actually targeted to in Japan compared to the neckbeards that eat it up on the other side of the Pacific.


I don't know...Japanese neckbeards? Siiince wer'e sort of on about moe bashing, remember K-on? That musical which had a bunch of not playing music?
15140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/4/13

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I thought the bane of anime was all the moe kawaii desu desu stuff that comes out these days. But yours works too.



You don't know had badly I wanted this to be a moe bashing forum when I saw the title. On a serious note I wonder what demographic moe slice of life is actually targeted to in Japan compared to the neckbeards that eat it up on the other side of the Pacific.


I don't know...Japanese neckbeards? Siiince wer'e sort of on about moe bashing, remember K-on? That musical which had a bunch of not playing music?


I do know OF it, but I can say with sweltering pride that I have never wasted a second of my life watching it. I tend to avoid moe like the plague, but I did hear about this one that featured like 12-13ish year old girls (lmao, thats like every moe ever) and all they did was talk about about wearing different styles of bras and panties and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" when someone said something. What kind of creep enjoys that?
22690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Louisiana
Online
Posted 9/4/13

I don't think moe is ruining anime. There may be too much sometimes, but just because you were disappointed in K-On! doesn't mean that anime is actively being ruined by the forces that ruined K-On!

I hate drama, especially that which takes place in a slice-of-life show. But, even though things like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou exist, drama is definitely not ruining anime.
9531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 9/4/13

ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I thought the bane of anime was all the moe kawaii desu desu stuff that comes out these days. But yours works too.



You don't know had badly I wanted this to be a moe bashing forum when I saw the title. On a serious note I wonder what demographic moe slice of life is actually targeted to in Japan compared to the neckbeards that eat it up on the other side of the Pacific.


I don't know...Japanese neckbeards? Siiince wer'e sort of on about moe bashing, remember K-on? That musical which had a bunch of not playing music?


I do know OF it, but I can say with sweltering pride that I have never wasted a second of my life watching it. I tend to avoid moe like the plague, but I did hear about this one that featured like 12-13ish year old girls (lmao, thats like every moe ever) and all they did was talk about about wearing different styles of bras and panties and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" when someone said something. What kind of creep enjoys that?


Damn you man! You just had to go and remind me of the 'EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!??????????~:::~{P})_POLAJDS LNCIASOCH#' ...THING!!! That's all I can call it is a thing! Why does every moe schoolgirl have to do that and molest my eardrums like the UK Government molests personal enjoyment? Is it a thing that some people actually do in Japan? I'd be even more afraid if it's enough to shake buildings and project out of the galaxy like in the actual animes!
15140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/4/13

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I thought the bane of anime was all the moe kawaii desu desu stuff that comes out these days. But yours works too.



You don't know had badly I wanted this to be a moe bashing forum when I saw the title. On a serious note I wonder what demographic moe slice of life is actually targeted to in Japan compared to the neckbeards that eat it up on the other side of the Pacific.


I don't know...Japanese neckbeards? Siiince wer'e sort of on about moe bashing, remember K-on? That musical which had a bunch of not playing music?


I do know OF it, but I can say with sweltering pride that I have never wasted a second of my life watching it. I tend to avoid moe like the plague, but I did hear about this one that featured like 12-13ish year old girls (lmao, thats like every moe ever) and all they did was talk about about wearing different styles of bras and panties and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" when someone said something. What kind of creep enjoys that?


Damn you man! You just had to go and remind me of the 'EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!??????????~:::~{P})_POLAJDS LNCIASOCH#' ...THING!!! That's all I can call it is a thing! Why does every moe schoolgirl have to do that and molest my eardrums like the UK Government molests personal enjoyment? Is it a thing that some people actually do in Japan? I'd be even more afraid if it's enough to shake buildings and project out of the galaxy like in the actual animes!


Woah, woah, woah, are you from the UK? does that mean I can go back and read all your replies in an accent now? I actually wish I hadn't mentioned the 'eeeehhhhhhhhhhhh' thing now, since it keeps repeating in my head.
9531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 9/4/13

ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


ragingleoplaridon wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I thought the bane of anime was all the moe kawaii desu desu stuff that comes out these days. But yours works too.



You don't know had badly I wanted this to be a moe bashing forum when I saw the title. On a serious note I wonder what demographic moe slice of life is actually targeted to in Japan compared to the neckbeards that eat it up on the other side of the Pacific.


I don't know...Japanese neckbeards? Siiince wer'e sort of on about moe bashing, remember K-on? That musical which had a bunch of not playing music?


I do know OF it, but I can say with sweltering pride that I have never wasted a second of my life watching it. I tend to avoid moe like the plague, but I did hear about this one that featured like 12-13ish year old girls (lmao, thats like every moe ever) and all they did was talk about about wearing different styles of bras and panties and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" when someone said something. What kind of creep enjoys that?


Damn you man! You just had to go and remind me of the 'EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!??????????~:::~{P})_POLAJDS LNCIASOCH#' ...THING!!! That's all I can call it is a thing! Why does every moe schoolgirl have to do that and molest my eardrums like the UK Government molests personal enjoyment? Is it a thing that some people actually do in Japan? I'd be even more afraid if it's enough to shake buildings and project out of the galaxy like in the actual animes!


Woah, woah, woah, are you from the UK? does that mean I can go back and read all your replies in an accent now? I actually wish I hadn't mentioned the 'eeeehhhhhhhhhhhh' thing now, since it keeps repeating in my head.


Yeah I'm from the UK. I say a lot British type stuff in my profile description. I'm actually English more specifically. Friendly greetings XD Also yes, feel free to read it all in an accent.
79244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 9/4/13
mhmm... quote pyramid
The Wise Wizard
76421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/4/13

ragingleoplaridon wrote:

I tend to avoid moe like the plague, but I did hear about this one that featured like 12-13ish year old girls (lmao, thats like every moe ever) and all they did was talk about about wearing different styles of bras and panties and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" when someone said something.

No doubt you are referring to Chu-bra.

15140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

TheAncientOne wrote:


ragingleoplaridon wrote:

I tend to avoid moe like the plague, but I did hear about this one that featured like 12-13ish year old girls (lmao, thats like every moe ever) and all they did was talk about about wearing different styles of bras and panties and go "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" when someone said something.

No doubt you are referring to Chu-bra.



*facepalm* why do you know that........
43595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M
Offline
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 9/5/13

ironskillet2 wrote:

one thing i think that sucks about anime, is that there are so many unfinished anime, and i know this is because a vast majority if not all of these come from manga, and if i really like an unfinished anime i will go read the manga to see what happens with the rest of the story.

this happens to a lot of awesome shows, not because the shows become bad, but just because, well hell, there is only so much air time and the anime industry doesnt want to show the same 20+ animes for 12 seasons.

i wish the anime industry was more popular so it could actually afford to continue every series it picked up, as much as i like to imagine the scenarios i read playing out in my head, it is always fun to actually see it animated to see if it ends up how it played out in my head lol.


Setting aside the complaints about content and genres, lets look for a moment at the OP's points. I would argue that the mass of incomplete anime is due in fact to anime's popularity. But it may in the long run prove the undoing of that popularity. To explain my point lets examine "A Brief History of Anime".

Lets set the wayback machine to the 1990's. Before cable TV, when the internet was just a connection between a few universities, When in both our home countries and Japan there where only a few TV networks to consume programming. Then, as now, anime's main source of material was print, In those days mainly manga. But there was only a few anime titles to be produced each season. The selection process was quite different. Producers would choose the most popular completed manga series to animate Back then OVA's where generally released to test the waters to see if a video market was receptive. A TV anime was usually green lit for full story production and if it proved to be a hit on TV would often spawn sequel manga and anime. 2-4 seasons in a row was the norm rather than the exception. For example Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo became franchises spawning sequels and spin-offs that at least in the case of TM have continued to recent seasons. With the advent of cable the number of networks needing programming increased exponentially. Eventually the industry caught up with the "anime worthy" completed manga and started to resort to long running but ongoing manga series.

Fast forward back to present time Anichart.net lists 38 episode length anime in production for the summer season, OVA's are now issued post production as a bonus to boost manga/novel/game sales. With this kind of production schedule and games being the only source that debuts with a complete product, producers are snapping up adaptable manga and light novels as soon as enough material is available to produce 12-13 episodes. Even if it's well received and scores good ratings there is going to be a wait for the mangaka or novelist to produce enough more material to continue. That gap can prove fatal. poor hard media sales and competition with the "next big thing" can shelve completion of even popular titles. It's not because the industry "doesn't want" to continue but they can't. I'm sure every producer would love to have a endless cash cow like Naruta or One Piece to milk so they don't have to do any new startup work for season after season.
27319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / virginia
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

Retread wrote:


ironskillet2 wrote:

one thing i think that sucks about anime, is that there are so many unfinished anime, and i know this is because a vast majority if not all of these come from manga, and if i really like an unfinished anime i will go read the manga to see what happens with the rest of the story.

this happens to a lot of awesome shows, not because the shows become bad, but just because, well hell, there is only so much air time and the anime industry doesnt want to show the same 20+ animes for 12 seasons.

i wish the anime industry was more popular so it could actually afford to continue every series it picked up, as much as i like to imagine the scenarios i read playing out in my head, it is always fun to actually see it animated to see if it ends up how it played out in my head lol.


Setting aside the complaints about content and genres, lets look for a moment at the OP's points. I would argue that the mass of incomplete anime is due in fact to anime's popularity. But it may in the long run prove the undoing of that popularity. To explain my point lets examine "A Brief History of Anime".

Lets set the wayback machine to the 1990's. Before cable TV, when the internet was just a connection between a few universities, When in both our home countries and Japan there where only a few TV networks to consume programming. Then, as now, anime's main source of material was print, In those days mainly manga. But there was only a few anime titles to be produced each season. The selection process was quite different. Producers would choose the most popular completed manga series to animate Back then OVA's where generally released to test the waters to see if a video market was receptive. A TV anime was usually green lit for full story production and if it proved to be a hit on TV would often spawn sequel manga and anime. 2-4 seasons in a row was the norm rather than the exception. For example Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo became franchises spawning sequels and spin-offs that at least in the case of TM have continued to recent seasons. With the advent of cable the number of networks needing programming increased exponentially. Eventually the industry caught up with the "anime worthy" completed manga and started to resort to long running but ongoing manga series.

Fast forward back to present time Anichart.net lists 38 episode length anime in production for the summer season, OVA's are now issued post production as a bonus to boost manga/novel/game sales. With this kind of production schedule and games being the only source that debuts with a complete product, producers are snapping up adaptable manga and light novels as soon as enough material is available to produce 12-13 episodes. Even if it's well received and scores good ratings there is going to be a wait for the mangaka or novelist to produce enough more material to continue. That gap can prove fatal. poor hard media sales and competition with the "next big thing" can shelve completion of even popular titles. It's not because the industry "doesn't want" to continue but they can't. I'm sure every producer would love to have a endless cash cow like Naruta or One Piece to milk so they don't have to do any new startup work for season after season.


oh no no this is exactly my point, sorry if i didnt make myself sound clear, i meant that because there is a limit to how many animes can be produced per season, results in many animes being cut short of being animated throughout its entire storyline, i was just wishing we lived in a perfect world where every anime could be completed along with its manga counterpart lol

27319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / virginia
Offline
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 9/5/13

deadpanditto wrote:

Not to sound too grumpy but, let me get this straight: the OP is stating the obvious about anime adaptations, and then complaining that he wishes the industry was more popular. All the while, the OP implies that he's reading the manga for free (pirated).

Wishes sure are nice, but maybe he could help make the anime and manga industry more popular by paying for more of the products that he enjoys? Just an idea.


as much as i would like to, im just a poor college kid, whether me wanting to buy them or not isnt really an issue, its a matter of not being able to afford them, i would love to support the things i love by buying them, but i barely have enough to not bug my parents for shit.

if i were to buy, everything i have ever watched on here, netflix, youtube, streaming sites, everything i have ever read.

i would need about 50,000 dollars (at release). i have never spent this much in my entire life, not even half, or even a third this much. maybe a couple hundred in streaming subs, but not 50k worth, if i could i would. im not doing it because i dont want to.
20324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 11/6/13
Wouldn't be nice to have only an anime series and not turn-a-manga-into-an-anime series instead?
The same applies to light novels, video games, and etc that was turn into an anime series.

I can only dream.
114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 11/6/13
Yeah, I hate it when anime gets cut short. Though I'd prefer a delay more than a bad ending.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.