First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply People who "Argue" On Forums
13475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 9/5/13
So, I've seen it on a lot of forums and especially on CR forums:

People who simply argue about a topic and start throwing "your argument is invalid" or "that doesn't make any sense. You're a retard, you have no common sense" instead of trying to have an actual academic argument that helps both to understand their flaws and good points.

Like literally on almost every post there will always be that annoying guy or girl who steps in and says "your argument is INVALID (ROAR my keyboard warrior soul is raging! pew pew)" and spews out something he/she copy and pasted from Yahoo answers or bullcrap like that. and then they'll say "where are your sources?" - when they themselves have no sources.. The argument just becomes a catfight and they are disillusioned that they are actually making points or rather arguing at all.

Does this irritate anyone else?

Just F.Y.I., it doesn't make you seem any smarter or make your "argument" any stronger by calling the other person stupid. Kudos to the people who actually argue like sensible people instead of only throwing names at each other.
23913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cocoon
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
10156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 10/10/14
Yes it is annoying. Such is the way of the internet.

19753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 10/10/14
lmao "ROAR my keyboard warrior soul is raging! PEW PEW"
good point OP XD
i guess some people thought they got a huge epeen hahaha
some arguments are amusing to read some are mehh there they go again >_> lol
76886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / in your head
Offline
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 10/10/14
just ignore them. Such people ain't worth your time, really
20423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Waterloo, Ontario
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
It's because no one ever wants to think that there wrong lol
Bavalt 
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
Yeah, it's annoying, especially when whatever else they say is actually a good point; then you're stuck wondering whether to ignore them for their rudeness or engage their point of view despite it. It seems to me like it's basically a strategy to 'win' the debate by either discouraging response or by provoking those who do construct counter-arguments into similar behaviour (so the initial disparager can tell them to calm down, gawd, it's just a debate.)

What it all comes down to is that having a valid point is no reason to be a jerk about it. Debates should be polite, even friendly: they're supposed to be exchanges of ideas, and everyone involved should be able to enjoy them. You shouldn't go in looking to beat someone down.
23149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / SoCal, HB
Online
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 9/5/13
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

logical fallacies, weak spots to attack arguments, now you can say pew pew :D

common ones online are, red herring, ad hominem, cherry picking. Surprisingly the same ones politicians use.
8766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / georgia, usa
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

Qoureno wrote:

just ignore them. Such people ain't worth your time, really


exactly.
i don't understand why its so hard just to ignore people who behave like that. you don't have to engage in an argument with them just scroll right past their post and move on to another and engage in conversation with some one more on your level.
i mean i know its kind of hard not to get angry especially when some one basically resorts to cursing you out and calling names and attacking you personally just because they don't like your opinion but that's the beauty of it being on the computer. you report them or block them and move right along or just ignore them entirely.
12151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Massachusetts, USA
Offline
Posted 9/5/13



When I read an argument espec if it is about a show (which it usually is) I listen to both sides but then it goes beyond the debate. Sometimes I think they are funny and sometimes I get angry and want to butt in but I don't. Usually there are no solutions between the two because they are set in their way of thinking. Sometimes actually many times someone comes in and calms the party down by providing intelligent viewpoints on both of their arguments. One time on another site there must have been pages and pages of argueing back and forth that to me is pathetic and boring. An want them to just SHUTUP. One is usually right and the other just don't plain get it and never will. Sometimes when the the "intelligent" one says something they come around but that's on occasionl
589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / London, UK
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Yes it is annoying. Such is the way of the internet.



That image is so inaccurate. Where's the inevitable comparison to Hitler/Nazism?
10156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 9/5/13

sillyriri wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Yes it is annoying. Such is the way of the internet.



That image is so inaccurate. Where's the inevitable comparison to Hitler/Nazism?


Somewhere between the religious 'debates' and feminist slugfests.
7010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Brampton, Ontario...
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

sillyriri wrote:

That image is so inaccurate. Where's the inevitable comparison to Hitler/Nazism?


Godwin's Law, that's where it is. XD
12151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Massachusetts, USA
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

pandrasb wrote:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

logical fallacies, weak spots to attack arguments, now you can say pew pew :D

common ones online are, red herring, ad hominem, cherry picking. Surprisingly the same ones politicians use.


I read your link an It is so right on. Im going to use that whenever I see a lengthy on going argument. Its so cool you found that. Good for you!!
6227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

pandrasb wrote:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

logical fallacies, weak spots to attack arguments, now you can say pew pew :D

common ones online are, red herring, ad hominem, cherry picking. Surprisingly the same ones politicians use.


The Straw Man is quite common as well. Again one quite popular with the politicos
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.