First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply People who "Argue" On Forums
60814 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Hell Paso
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

Gyava wrote:

So, I've seen it on a lot of forums and especially on CR forums:

People who simply argue about a topic and start throwing "your argument is invalid" or "that doesn't make any sense. You're a retard, you have no common sense" instead of trying to have an actual academic argument that helps both to understand their flaws and good points.

Like literally on almost every post there will always be that annoying guy or girl who steps in and says "your argument is INVALID (ROAR my keyboard warrior soul is raging! pew pew)" and spews out something he/she copy and pasted from Yahoo answers or bullcrap like that. and then they'll say "where are your sources?" - when they themselves have no sources.. The argument just becomes a catfight and they are disillusioned that they are actually making points or rather arguing at all.

Does this irritate anyone else?

Just F.Y.I., it doesn't make you seem any smarter or make your "argument" any stronger by calling the other person stupid. Kudos to the people who actually argue like sensible people instead of only throwing names at each other.


how do you expect people to have an academic argument. or a formal debate when the topics are so utterly irrelevant. topics like who is your favorite artist, or this or that. have no real value nor can they be used for a formal debate. with sound arguments and based of pure facts.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Online
Posted 9/5/13 , edited 9/5/13

jer5500 wrote:


Gyava wrote:

So, I've seen it on a lot of forums and especially on CR forums:

People who simply argue about a topic and start throwing "your argument is invalid" or "that doesn't make any sense. You're a retard, you have no common sense" instead of trying to have an actual academic argument that helps both to understand their flaws and good points.

Like literally on almost every post there will always be that annoying guy or girl who steps in and says "your argument is INVALID (ROAR my keyboard warrior soul is raging! pew pew)" and spews out something he/she copy and pasted from Yahoo answers or bullcrap like that. and then they'll say "where are your sources?" - when they themselves have no sources.. The argument just becomes a catfight and they are disillusioned that they are actually making points or rather arguing at all.

Does this irritate anyone else?

Just F.Y.I., it doesn't make you seem any smarter or make your "argument" any stronger by calling the other person stupid. Kudos to the people who actually argue like sensible people instead of only throwing names at each other.


how do you expect people to have an academic argument. or a formal debate when the topics are so utterly irrelevant. topics like who is your favorite artist, or this or that. have no real value nor can they be used for a formal debate. with sound arguments and based of pure facts.


Waltz on over to the Extended Discussions then.



and hahaha v, I like it
14860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Dark Continent
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
6109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Miami
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
Welcome to the internet OP...
8766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / georgia, usa
Offline
Posted 9/5/13


now im sorry but who can't smile looking at that :p lol
25385 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / West-Central Florida
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
13252 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

Gyava wrote:

So, I've seen it on a lot of forums and especially on CR forums:

People who simply argue about a topic and start throwing "your argument is invalid" or "that doesn't make any sense. You're a retard, you have no common sense" instead of trying to have an actual academic argument that helps both to understand their flaws and good points.

Like literally on almost every post there will always be that annoying guy or girl who steps in and says "your argument is INVALID (ROAR my keyboard warrior soul is raging! pew pew)" and spews out something he/she copy and pasted from Yahoo answers or bullcrap like that. and then they'll say "where are your sources?" - when they themselves have no sources.. The argument just becomes a catfight and they are disillusioned that they are actually making points or rather arguing at all.

Does this irritate anyone else?

Just F.Y.I., it doesn't make you seem any smarter or make your "argument" any stronger by calling the other person stupid. Kudos to the people who actually argue like sensible people instead of only throwing names at each other.


You wanna fight about it?
44424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
I have better things to do than spar with dolts on the internet, so I go outside and enjoy nature...remember that? birds and shit?
20594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
I once had a person say something like "I hate when people take my GOOD arguments and just turn them down like it's nothing." when that's the point of a debate, saying why you believe someone is wrong and why you believe you are right.
11119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 9/5/13

Qoureno wrote:

just ignore them. Such people ain't worth your time, really


QFT. If its a debate from the get go then indulge, when it turns nasty then hightail it out of there...
13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
Even at the highest levels of academia, people hardly ever capitulate in real time. Generally speaking, it takes a long while before someone can overcome their ego enough to change their opinion on a given topic. Most of the time they do it circuitously, time goes by, and instead of ever admitting they were wrong, they just adopt a different stance and convince themselves that they did so on their own, not through any effort on someone else's part to educate them. This is true for nearly everyone, everywhere, and it's probably what breeds so much contempt for the opposition in any given debate, we all know that even when we present a solid case, there's little chance the other side will admit defeat.
19239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / wherever my work...
Offline
Posted 9/5/13
Sogno- 
23160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/6/13
don't see it as being any different than people who argue in real life
Posted 9/6/13
There is nothing wrong with Arguing online, this is how human beings achieve understanding of each other. It is not alway's a need to Argue, but at times when one is passionate...."it happens" it is very human, very natural and very useful (it is much better than hiding ones true beliefs).
In my book you should argue when its needed there isn't anything wrong with it at all.
29673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Near Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 9/6/13


Okay, in RPG Raptor Shark's defense, he/she/they are pretty awesome, and tend to be right most of the time.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.