First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply People who "Argue" On Forums
60245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 9/6/13 , edited 9/6/13

pandrasb wrote:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

logical fallacies, weak spots to attack arguments, now you can say pew pew :D

common ones online are, red herring, ad hominem, cherry picking. Surprisingly the same ones politicians use.


Just make sure they actually understand what an ad hominem is.

"You're an idiot because you're wrong, and here's why you're wrong"

is not ad hominem.

"You're an idiot and therefore you're wrong"

is.

As long as the insult is not used in the reasoning it is not ad hominem. Having a sharp tongue does not mean I've committed a fallacy, it just means I'm in a bad mood, think poorly of you, or both.

EDIT:

Posting on no sleep is bad.
20085 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SoCal, HB
Online
Posted 9/6/13

zinjashike wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

logical fallacies, weak spots to attack arguments, now you can say pew pew :D

common ones online are, red herring, ad hominem, cherry picking. Surprisingly the same ones politicians use.


Just make sure they actually understand what an ad hominem is.

"You're an idiot because you're wrong, and here's why you're wrong"

is not ad hominem.

"You're an idiot and therefore you're wrong"

is.

As long as the insult is not used in the reasoning it is not ad hominem. Having a sharp tongue does not mean I've committed a fallacy, it just means I'm in a bad mood, think poorly of you, or both.

EDIT:

Posting on no sleep is bad.




I have no idea how to respond to this xD
23246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/7/13
just ignore also depending on the website take the chance to block them
36230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/7/13 , edited 9/7/13
Depends on my mood. My responses are generally, in order of frequency:

1. Sigh --> next post.
2. --> next post.
3. Employ sarcasm.
4. Debate.
5. "This could be fun." --> Embrace the inner troll.
12377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/7/13 , edited 9/7/13
There's a huge difference between meaningful debate that aims to bring about deeper understanding of a controversial topic and straight-out flaming for the sake of bothering people. Nothing's wrong with arguing, it just depends how it is done and how civilized the involved people are choosing to be (or not be).


It can be annoying, especially when the person you're talking to seems to THINK they are being rational when, in fact, they simply don't know how to debate in a civilized way and they are strangely unaware that structuring and tactfulness are important if their view is to be taken seriously by the opposing side. They attack the person and not their view on the issue when that doesn't add anything meaningful to the debate.

Then, there are certain people who seem to believe that just because they know the terminology used in debate that they are so smart. They contribute very little to the debate and are seemingly only in it to point out flaws in another POV. This also contributes nothing to the debate. They never actually provide and defend their own view and they simply attack whatever they don't hold to be true. Memorizing terminology and relying on it alone to carry one through debates is about as useful as learning to swim by reading a book or learning to fight by reading a manual.

Ah, well, the internet will be the internet. It's not very hard to NOT read something you will dislike. Even if you do, it's easy enough to rationalize it into just words on a screen.
17481 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/26/14
I see no point in arguing with someone on a forum or just on the internet period. Arguments are meant happen face to face in person not online because it's just stupid. Typing angrily on your keyboard all in caps to someone is just dumb.
47552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
99 / F / Your boundaries
Offline
Posted 3/26/14 , edited 3/26/14
I don't like the term argument. It automatically sounds emotional thus the lack of rational thought from its participants.

I prefer the term debate or discourse. It's more knowledge based and requires actual thought rather than a vast vocabulary of 5th grade level insults.

Unfortunately, not many people can handle being in a debate. Mostly because not many people can handle being wrong.
1503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 3/28/14
They're mostly easy to ignore, but I find the most annoying occurrence of these, is when one or more of the angry idiots actually knows how to write, and thinks that makes them smarter, when they're really throwing the exact same argument as the other guy, but with a more diverse vocabulary. :I
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 3/28/14 , edited 3/28/14
typically once It descends to personal insults I figure the person doing the insulting has lost. and yes that has been me sometimes when someone successfully pushes JUST the right buttons.

being wrong can be painful or embarrassing but it's a good cure for hubris.
19719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Iowa
Offline
Posted 3/28/14
Honestly I hardly even notice it. I'm up for debate, or for others pointing out any errors I make. And I won't claim to be original either, I research as much as I can about something, and will use what I learn, if not copy-paste parts I think make a good point.
6425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/28/14
OP should check his privilege

Phersu 
31507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Existence.
Offline
Posted 3/28/14
I-it's not like you're argument is invalid or anything, b-baka!
4185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 3/28/14 , edited 3/28/14
I ignore any one who tries to start an argument with me of any type, unless I feel they need my input. There was one here where people replied by the dozen on my post, because they misinterpreted what I said. I just stopped caring after that. I probably shouldn't have worded it the way I did.
10570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/29/14

Qoureno wrote:

just ignore them. Such people ain't worth your time, really


This.

I used to be a loud-mouthed hot head when I was younger. But now that I've gotten older, I just find myself not even caring anymore. Some "arguments" aren't even logical arguments to begin with. So throwing yourself into that mix just leads to headaches.
8221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/14

trmjkd989 wrote:


Qoureno wrote:

just ignore them. Such people ain't worth your time, really


This.

I used to be a loud-mouthed hot head when I was younger. But now that I've gotten older, I just find myself not even caring anymore. Some "arguments" aren't even logical arguments to begin with. So throwing yourself into that mix just leads to headaches.


But it is occasionally fun to dump fuel in the fire, as long as you got get yourself caught in it. Even better is attempting to argue with logic and civility and testing your patience.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.