First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Can anime surpass current mainstream shows?
12474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 9/8/13
I think that would be an uphill battle.

It takes time to decipher all the things that make anime "anime." The average movie goer would just be confused by half of what they were seeing no matter how good it was. We take that for granted because we watch a lot of anime. To make it more accessible to an American audience, Hollywood would probably attempt to Americanize anime. Then it wouldn't be anime anymore, it would be American cartoons.

Japan put it all on the table when they made GitS and gave it a wide American release. It's an amazing movie that sadly flopped hard. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ghostintheshell.htm Given enough time, anime will certainly gain ground in the US. It's going to take a while though.
17050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / In a seriously sc...
Offline
Posted 9/8/13
i think it could someday, as long as people find the right anime and actually give it an honest chance
54027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 9/8/13 , edited 9/8/13
right now ? nope

but who knows in the future...its all about the money , what is cheaper to make and make more money
30660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 9/8/13
Outside Japan, anime / manga fandom will always be a small niche.

Compared to the fandoms for Western movies and television shows, we are a fraction of a percent, at best.
21265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/8/13
I think it silly to assume that anime is just inherently better at storytelling and characters than American produced movies and TV shows. Anime also has a high number of generic, run-of-the-mill, unoriginal shows each season. Now, I think that overall, anime has a higher ratio of good shows to bad shows than the American market does, but I'm not particularly well-versed in the US TV market.

Could anime make it into the mainstream? Frankly, it doesn't matter. The age of network television is DYING in American due to sites like CR, Youtube, and Netfilx. People don't sit down to watch things at scheduled times anymore; they watch them online when they have time. That is the best chance anime has to become more widely accepted. I have some faith in people, so if they are looking for good things to watch and can get over their internal bias against anime, it will steadily grow as a niche market.

If you want anime to become more mainstream, put your faith in the internet, because that is the best chance anime has.
15073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 9/8/13
I love anime cuz it's not mainstream, as usually something that goes mainstream has to undergo changes in order to "appeal to the masses" and sometimes loses what the original fans liked so much about it...
6031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M
Online
Posted 9/8/13
You have to remember, when you say compete with mainstream shows, that means Adventure time and Adventure time is a pile of crap
57996 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Online
Posted 9/8/13

iblessall wrote:
I think it silly to assume that anime is just inherently better at storytelling and characters than American produced movies and TV shows. Anime also has a high number of generic, run-of-the-mill, unoriginal shows each season. Now, I think that overall, anime has a higher ratio of good shows to bad shows than the American market does, but I'm not particularly well-versed in the US TV market.


I agree: different storytelling styles, different tropes. Overall, I think there's about the same success ratio for US produced shows as there is for anime. The main difference--and it isn't much of one--is how success is handled. When a US show, especially an arc-driven show like Lost, get successful, the networks try and drag the storyline out as long as possible. With anime, that is still a factor, but less so, since seasons are funded individually. As a result seasons are planned in advance with arcs already defined. It's rare to have any "course correction" occur with anime shows, unlike US shows. You can also say anime season planning tends to be pretty strict since many shows are adaptations of other source material.

Shows produced by the BBC also tend to be similar to anime since seasons are also funded in advance. There's little worry about cancellation, unlike US shows since funding is an ongoing thing. If a BBC show isn't successful, the season still airs but it never gets picked up for another season.


iblessall wrote:
Could anime make it into the mainstream? Frankly, it doesn't matter. The age of network television is DYING in American due to sites like CR, Youtube, and Netfilx. People don't sit down to watch things at scheduled times anymore; they watch them online when they have time. That is the best chance anime has to become more widely accepted. I have some faith in people, so if they are looking for good things to watch and can get over their internal bias against anime, it will steadily grow as a niche market.


I don't really agree with this. There are still a lot of people that watch US shows, but time-sift with DVRs. The big debate is how do these shows get funded. Since US shows are primarily driven by ad revenue, the advertisers are debating how much they should pay since many people skip ads when they watch shows on a DVR. It's an on-going debate and it isn't going to be solved anytime soon, but network TV is not dying. It has shrunk due to more competition from cable channels, but it is still a major chunk of the TV market.

I do agree about online "channels". There is more independent stuff produced that you can see on a variety of sites, such as YouTube and Hulu. Ad revenue can still be a factor with these shows, in particular Hulu. In addition, groups like NetFlix and Amazon are starting to produce their own series. Ad revenue is not the driving factor for these shows.

My point here is that the market is changing a great deal, but US network TV will still be here for a long time to come.


iblessall wrote:
If you want anime to become more mainstream, put your faith in the internet, because that is the best chance anime has.


I agree. Anime is my major source for entertainment nowadays.
67723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 9/8/13

SilverFLOYD wrote:

I love anime cuz it's not mainstream, as usually something that goes mainstream has to undergo changes in order to "appeal to the masses" and sometimes loses what the original fans liked so much about it...


to an extent, that's already happening.

There was a time when ANY anime was a big part of a small fandom and you could reference entire concepts with single words or proper names.

Now most of those shows are an old an forgotten small part of a BIG fandom. Life goes on.

Animes now are being made by people who have read things like 'Anime Rules' or 'the Evil Overlord List' and decided to do something different.

some things that seemed common to every anime from 20 years ago are rare or non-existent. (This isn't bad but is is evidence of anime changing to appeal to its current market)

for some of the older fans. anime may have already lost some of its unique traits as it appeals to masses more than it used to when your only source was a 5th generation copy of a betamax tape smuggled home in someone's airline carry-on.



24207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 9/8/13

badisglaid wrote:


I dont tnink that could happen but niche shows are showing up on netflix but the reality is mainstream is dying any how and people watch their preferences.

Now saying that I think alot of animes are as good or better! Its like music that is really broad in tastes and genres yet each niche survives.
6437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/13
4023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/13
If more people tried to watch anime instead of ridicule the people who enjoy it, they would like it. I have a friend who thought anime was gay until he watched Evangelion 1.11 when it was on Toonami. He said it was good and he thought Eva 2.22 was one of the best movies ever made.
47559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 9/8/13
Already has in my opinion. I don't watch any regular shows.
10336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Online
Posted 9/8/13
Even in japan anime is a nich market at best you would be hard pressed to see it on normal tv during prime time
10270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / North America
Offline
Posted 9/8/13

badisglaid wrote:

EDIT: wow am i the only one who thinks attack on titan is far better than any mainstream action show or movie currently? fights, music, plot, idea and characters wise?

Okay so after i'v abandoned hollywood movies and popular TV series because i had my hands full with watching so much anime i decided to give iron man 3 a chance and it felt very underwhelming as opposed to the emotions i got from Aot or Hunter x Hunter's episodes, hell even some moments within the big 3.

i really do think that the stories, the designs and the characters depicted by the Japanese are far superior and more original than any mainstream show currently.

and if anime ever had the opportunity to showcase to the world what it really is i believe it would conquer the mainstream entertainment, and if that is accomplished we will have more shows, better animation and more stories to tell due to the budgets being exponentially increased and subsequently increasing the potential of the anime industry.

EDIT: since the replies weren't centered around one subject let me be specific and raise two questions:

1) Is anime Better than current mainstream american shows? (not in terms of popularity)
2) Will anime one day be as popular as or even surpass mainstream shows and become subsequently the mainstream media?


1. By mainstream american shows, name a few examples because I'm really lost to what you're trying to asking.

There are shows that can be considered mainstream like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, True Blood, etc.
However there are very popular shows like The Walking Dead, The Big Bang Theory, etc.

2. Anime will be as popular and I think will be able to be an equal to mainstream shows, but surpassing is asking too much in my opinion. Until society accepts the fact that animation can be good as live action, surpassing will never happen.

I can't predict if anime will become subsequently mainstream media, I can say that animation in general can but specifically anime. I'm unsure.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.