First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Competition = useless?
Posted 9/10/13 , edited 9/10/13
For the record, I think it is. I agree with the aspect of doing something you love and being good at it - but I think there are ways to prove you are good at something other than beating other people as a result. If you're the best at what YOU do (in my opinion, everyone is the best at something even if that means simply being the best at being themselves,) there's no need to have anyone else validate it for you. It's as if you can't have faith in yourself unless everyone else has faith in you, too. It would be nice to have people respect you, as they should. But they're only "respecting" you if you do what they wanted you to, how they wanted you to do it.

I tend to cave under the pressure of competition and quit altogether, because I don't feel like trying to be better than anyone. I find that I do my best work when not feeling like I'm going to be compared to anyone else - when there are no expectations someone is pushing on me. And it's senseless to expect anyone to be more appreciative of who you are than yourself. Those judges ARE expecting things from you. People should be the best people they can be. That doesn't mean they are EVER going to be better than you at whatever it is they're trying to beat you at, nor should they HAVE to be. I believe competition teaches them otherwise.

23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/10/13
Are you talking about ALL competition?

because if so, I disagree 100%.
Posted 9/10/13

Gyava wrote:

Are you talking about ALL competition?

because if so, I disagree 100%.


Yes, competition in general. And why?

14498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 9/10/13
I'm in opposition to the idea as well. To me competition creates drive, and it is this drive that makes us work to our utmost. It is competition that makes us constantly refine our creations and forces us to explore new areas. Take the Cold war for example, do you think we would have landed a man on the moon had it not been for the competition? I think that without competition, people would be unmotivated to strive for their absolute best.
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/10/13 , edited 9/10/13
Before giving you that answer, ask yourself.

If there was no competition at all, how would our economy even survive? What is the point of even graduating from the worst college in the world or the best college in the world? Should we just put people who haven't even graduated out of high school into a challenging position that requires a lot of experience? There are so many more things that would simply collapse if there was no competition.

and you say the word "they", but who is "they?" Who? Because this whole post doesn't even seem like it's supposed to be asked to everyone in the world. It just seems like a self-reflection of a certain individual's life, especially because of this part below.


It's as if you can't have faith in yourself unless everyone else has faith in you, too. It would be nice to have people respect you, as they should. But they're only "respecting" you if you do what they wanted you to, how they wanted you to do it.


If you cave into pressure that easily and can't face competition, that's just your personal problem. Not trying to make this seem harsh or offensive. You yourself don't have to follow a path in life where you have the compete all the time. Many people love competition like myself. Rather than a win and be "judged" by other people like you seem to emphasize, I compete so that I can see where I am in terms of strengths and weaknesses. When I lose, I can see what I need to improve on. When I win, it shows the latter what he or she can do to improve as well. Not all competition has to be so serious either. Most of the competition in my life was done in good fun.
Posted 9/10/13 , edited 9/10/13

Gyava wrote:

Before giving you that answer, ask yourself.

If there was no competition at all, how would our economy even survive? What is the point of even graduating from the worst college in the world or the best college in the world? Should we just put people who haven't even graduated out of high school into a challenging position that requires a lot of experience? There are so many more things that would simply collapse if there was no competition.

and you say the word "they", but who is "they?" Who? Because this whole post doesn't even seem like it's supposed to be asked to everyone in the world. It just seems like a self-reflection of a certain individual's life, especially because of this part below.


It's as if you can't have faith in yourself unless everyone else has faith in you, too. It would be nice to have people respect you, as they should. But they're only "respecting" you if you do what they wanted you to, how they wanted you to do it.


If you cave into pressure that easily and can't face competition, that's just your personal problem. Not trying to make this seem harsh or offensive. You yourself don't have to follow a path in life where you have the compete all the time. Many people love competition like myself. Rather than a win and be "judged" by other people like you seem to emphasize, I compete so that I can see where I am in terms of strengths and weaknesses. When I lose, I can see what I need to improve on. When I win, it shows the latter what he or she can do to improve as well. Not all competition has to be so serious either. Most of the competition in my life was done in good fun.


I still don't understand why you need other people to beat you to understand how YOU can do better. What's wrong with living up to your own personal standards whether that means being better than other people at this or that or not?

And by "they," I'm referring to whoever is judging your performance.

I do think you're being a bit harsh in saying that I have a personal problem because I can't face something you're so sure is of value in the first place. : / If I didn't think I had a point, I wouldn't be here right now. And if I didn't want other people's input, I wouldn't have asked anyone's opinion in the first place, so clearly I am not SURE of anything. I don't think you have the right to be until you understand entirely what it is I'm talking about i.e. you take in other possibilities.


Gettnlag wrote:

I'm in opposition to the idea as well. To me competition creates drive, and it is this drive that makes us work to our utmost. It is competition that makes us constantly refine our creations and forces us to explore new areas. Take the Cold war for example, do you think we would have landed a man on the moon had it not been for the competition? I think that without competition, people would be unmotivated to strive for their absolute best.


Same response: I still don't understand why you need other people to beat you to understand how YOU can do better. What's wrong with living up to your own personal standards whether that means being better than other people at this or that or not?




23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/10/13


I apologize, I was trying to word myself to the point where it wouldn't seem offensive.
but like I said, before we answer that,

How can you answer questions such as:
"If there was no competition at all, how would our economy even survive? What is the point of even graduating from the worst college in the world or the best college in the world? Should we just put people who haven't even graduated out of high school into a challenging position that requires a lot of experience?"

I just don't see how you could argue against those points since you applied the question to all arguments as a whole. It would be easier if you were more specific but that doesn't seem to be the nature of your post.
Posted 9/10/13 , edited 9/10/13

Gyava wrote:



I apologize, I was trying to word myself to the point where it wouldn't seem offensive.
but like I said, before we answer that,

How can you answer questions such as:
"If there was no competition at all, how would our economy even survive? What is the point of even graduating from the worst college in the world or the best college in the world? Should we just put people who haven't even graduated out of high school into a challenging position that requires a lot of experience?"

I just don't see how you could argue against those points since you applied the question to all arguments as a whole. It would be easier if you were more specific but that doesn't seem to be the nature of your post.


Okay.

This is the definition of the word "compete:"

strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same.

I don't understand the purpose of going against others to get what you want. I don't understand why people can't focus solely on doing what they know how to do never minding anyone else. Because when you compete against others, you are both moving towards the same goal, only it is obvious that only ONE of you will make it.

People would survive by taking care of themselves. The point of graduating from the best or worst college is to have the satisfaction of living up to YOUR standards. It doesn't have to be about defeating others, because in competition, defeating other people is how you win.

Competition, in my opinion, is useless (1) because you are working to live up to the judge's standards, and (2) because the loser didn't really "lose." They've just done the best they could do, only they're called the "loser," anyway.

You can be motivated by your OWN goals.

23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/10/13 , edited 9/10/13


So.. you just proved my point even more.
The point of graduating and going to a better school requires you to establish your superior grades and efforts over others. If we just survived by taking care of ourselves, there would be no education, no anything. Getting jobs also requires competition. If your application looks like absolute crap versus someone who has an awesome file, then you have no chance. That's why it's called "competing for the spot." Like I said, since you are so broad and not specific, the base you build your points on is very hard to support.
Posted 9/10/13 , edited 9/10/13

Gyava wrote:



Okay.

This is the definition of the word "compete:"

strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same.

I don't understand the purpose of going against others to get what you want. I don't understand why people can't focus solely on doing what they know how to do never minding anyone else. Because when you compete against others, you are both moving towards the same goal, only it is obvious that only ONE of you will make it.

People would survive by taking care of themselves. The point of graduating from the best or worst college is to have the satisfaction of living up to YOUR standards. It doesn't have to be about defeating others, because in competition, defeating other people is how you win.





So.. you just proved my point even more.
The point of graduating and going to a better school requires you to establish your superior grades and efforts over others. If we just survived by taking care of ourselves, there would be no education, no anything. Getting jobs also requires competition. If your application looks like absolute crap versus someone who has an awesome file, then you have no chance. That's why it's called "competing for the spot." Like I said, since you are so broad and not specific, the base you build your points on is very hard to support.

What exactly do you feel you should do, if not solely taking care of yourself?

If you've done the best you could do and you still "failed" in the eyes of the judge, employer, whoever, my whole point is that it doesn't make that person a loser. All competition did was make that person appear to be something they weren't, hence why I feel it is useless.

23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/10/13 , edited 9/10/13

anti-lambsacrifice wrote:


Gyava wrote:



Okay.

This is the definition of the word "compete:"

strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same.

I don't understand the purpose of going against others to get what you want. I don't understand why people can't focus solely on doing what they know how to do never minding anyone else. Because when you compete against others, you are both moving towards the same goal, only it is obvious that only ONE of you will make it.

People would survive by taking care of themselves. The point of graduating from the best or worst college is to have the satisfaction of living up to YOUR standards. It doesn't have to be about defeating others, because in competition, defeating other people is how you win.






So.. you just proved my point even more.
The point of graduating and going to a better school requires you to establish your superior grades and efforts over others. If we just survived by taking care of ourselves, there would be no education, no anything. Getting jobs also requires competition. If your application looks like absolute crap versus someone who has an awesome file, then you have no chance. That's why it's called "competing for the spot." Like I said, since you are so broad and not specific, the base you build your points on is very hard to support.


What exactly do you feel you should do, if not solely taking care of yourself?

If you've done the best you could do and you still "failed" in the eyes of the judge, employer, whoever, my whole point is that it doesn't make that person a loser. All competition did was make that person appear to be something they weren't, hence why I feel it is useless.



What are you talking about? What does this whole conversation have anything to do with just taking care of ourselves now? Your title of this thread is "Competition - Useless?" If my friend beats me in a rock paper scissors game right now, that has no correlation with anyone taking care of himself or herself.

Addressing your second argument,
Or.. you could just entirely approach it in a different way and not make that person a loser then. You keep saying the word "loser" and take this losing role way too seriously and negatively. It's not like every time we lose a competition some cheerleader comes from the depths of hell and starts saying "Haha, you're a loser. You suck." Viewing people as what they weren't? Every competition isn't like some serious Hunger Games scenario. Just because a person loses in some type of competition doesn't mean that how they are perceived changes as well. You can acknowledge, for example, that a rival sports team is still a great team even if they lost because of how hard they tried as a team.

Why do you keep viewing all of these people as losers? Your pessimistic view is what's so skewing. So what if I didn't get a job because some kid had a better app, so what if I didn't make a sports team because another guy is more talented, so what? There's an optimistic side to all of this. The boss doesn't have to think that you're a loser. The coach doesn't have to think that you're a loser. They don't post banners throughout the buildings saying that you're a loser. If you keep thinking that the whole world simply views you as a loser, no wonder competitions seem to suck.

The entirety of my argument rests on the fact that most competitions are not useless. I don't really care for other branched off topics since that's not what this post is about. I asked you in my first reply if you were speaking to all the competitions in the world, and you said yes. That includes an endless list of types of competition. There are way too many forms of competition that are vital, such as business, education, and even getting money for food on the table. If there were like 10 people living in this world, including you, fine. Have fun, you can go live by yourself in another continent. However, we live in an age where competition is vital to our lives.

ikano1 
30321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
usa
Offline
Posted 9/10/13
I have to say that competition is a crucial part to our society.

Why do you think we have the technology we have today, or why do you think some things are cheaper than others. This all come to competitions. If it's to win a race or get the bigger market share.

You can have no sports, as that is a competition to see who wins. You can have no Online multiplayer in competetive games as you are competing against others to win based on the objective.
Posted 9/11/13 , edited 9/11/13

Gyava wrote:


anti-lambsacrifice wrote:


Gyava wrote:



Okay.

This is the definition of the word "compete:"

strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same.

I don't understand the purpose of going against others to get what you want. I don't understand why people can't focus solely on doing what they know how to do never minding anyone else. Because when you compete against others, you are both moving towards the same goal, only it is obvious that only ONE of you will make it.

People would survive by taking care of themselves. The point of graduating from the best or worst college is to have the satisfaction of living up to YOUR standards. It doesn't have to be about defeating others, because in competition, defeating other people is how you win.






So.. you just proved my point even more.
The point of graduating and going to a better school requires you to establish your superior grades and efforts over others. If we just survived by taking care of ourselves, there would be no education, no anything. Getting jobs also requires competition. If your application looks like absolute crap versus someone who has an awesome file, then you have no chance. That's why it's called "competing for the spot." Like I said, since you are so broad and not specific, the base you build your points on is very hard to support.


What exactly do you feel you should do, if not solely taking care of yourself?

If you've done the best you could do and you still "failed" in the eyes of the judge, employer, whoever, my whole point is that it doesn't make that person a loser. All competition did was make that person appear to be something they weren't, hence why I feel it is useless.



What are you talking about? What does this whole conversation have anything to do with just taking care of ourselves now? Your title of this thread is "Competition - Useless?" If my friend beats me in a rock paper scissors game right now, that has no correlation with anyone taking care of himself or herself.

Addressing your second argument,
Or.. you could just entirely approach it in a different way and not make that person a loser then. You keep saying the word "loser" and take this losing role way too seriously and negatively. It's not like every time we lose a competition some cheerleader comes from the depths of hell and starts saying "Haha, you're a loser. You suck." Viewing people as what they weren't? Every competition isn't like some serious Hunger Games scenario. Just because a person loses in some type of competition doesn't mean that how they are perceived changes as well. You can acknowledge, for example, that a rival sports team is still a great team even if they lost because of how hard they tried as a team.

Why do you keep viewing all of these people as losers? Your pessimistic view is what's so skewing. So what if I didn't get a job because some kid had a better app, so what if I didn't make a sports team because another guy is more talented, so what? There's an optimistic side to all of this. The boss doesn't have to think that you're a loser. The coach doesn't have to think that you're a loser. They don't post banners throughout the buildings saying that you're a loser. If you keep thinking that the whole world simply views you as a loser, no wonder competitions seem to suck.

The entirety of my argument rests on the fact that most competitions are not useless. I don't really care for other branched off topics since that's not what this post is about. I asked you in my first reply if you were speaking to all the competitions in the world, and you said yes. That includes an endless list of types of competition. There are way too many forms of competition that are vital, such as business, education, and even getting money for food on the table. If there were like 10 people living in this world, including you, fine. Have fun, you can go live by yourself in another continent. However, we live in an age where competition is vital to our lives.



I am addressing competition. But perhaps we're on two completely different wavelengths. I really don't want to keep repeating myself if that's the case. -_-

To answer your question, though - I'm not referring to the person who loses the competition as the loser. Your judger/employer/etc. is.


ikano1 wrote:

I have to say that competition is a crucial part to our society.

Why do you think we have the technology we have today, or why do you think some things are cheaper than others. This all come to competitions. If it's to win a race or get the bigger market share.

You can have no sports, as that is a competition to see who wins. You can have no Online multiplayer in competetive games as you are competing against others to win based on the objective.


Maybe you have what you have because they decided to create those things. But I'm sorry if my desire to do what I want to do isn't AT ALL an attempt to beat other people, and I have more than competition to serve as my motivation.
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/11/13


Your whole question/argument is super vague and no one can address it.
If you keep people on different wavelengths, that's probably because you're not specifying anything and you're not explaining anything at all.

It's your fault, you accepted "all competition," which is like a million wavelengths no one can talk about at once.
Posted 9/11/13 , edited 9/11/13

Gyava wrote:



Your whole question/argument is super vague and no one can address it.
If you keep people on different wavelengths, that's probably because you're not specifying anything and you're not explaining anything at all.

It's your fault, you accepted "all competition," which is like a million wavelengths no one can talk about at once.


I'm not competing against anyone. -_- But anyway, there's no need for what we're doing right now. I feel I've said exactly what I intended to. Good bye.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.