First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
holding a seance
Posted 9/12/13 , edited 9/12/13
on monday in the land of the lost, west virginia highway

COME ONE COME ALL.

now for the real thread -

1 - have you ever encountered anything paranormal? what was it when/when/where?
2 - are you scared of spirits?
3 - are you possessed by anything right now?

When I was like 6 I had this vision of a demon when I was sitting in the bath and I started giggling, I swear that's the earliest memory I have of myself too.. and since then I'm certain there exists good and evil entities and I was wondering if anyone on here would like to discuss shit about them do you believe in them or are they the work of the devil?
Posted 9/12/13 , edited 9/13/13
Oh, wow..if someone said they actually were possessed 0_o I don't even know that it's really a possibility. I don't think so. But still..

1. Yes; a couple of times and hopefully never again after that ._. One happened when I was younger laying awake in my bed at night and heard + saw stuff moving around atop my dresser. The other time, I was at a friend's house in the basement alone and heard things moving in the rack of clothes next to me even though apparently everyone else had gone back upstairs. If I remember correctly, I also heard laughter.

2. Yes, again. I don't want to be. I wish I knew how to accept them like I try to accept other people.

3. If I am, it's not self-evident.

I don't really think I believe in good and evil, however - at least not on Earth - or that most people's ideas of what good and evil are ring true. I think everyone has a spirit, and (as I was telling you before) I think that there's a chance some spirits really do exist without bodies just like I think MAYBE there are bodies without spirits - wholly materialistic beings. It might be the work of God or some other supernatural existence, but I don't think God is "good" or "evil," again in the traditional sense. He might be good in the way I think it means.

I think of spirits the way I think of people - neutral. So, it really is a pity how terrified I currently am of them. -_- THAT'S "bad," or rather, an example of something bad.
8336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / in the whole disc...
Offline
Posted 9/12/13
i do travel the spirit world if you desire to know about dont do somthing you cant handle
13057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Online
Posted 9/12/13 , edited 9/12/13
No, no, and yes, I am possessed by myself. Good point TriOpted :P

and no, I don't believe in them.

Do you remember what this demon looked like?


6109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Miami
Offline
Posted 9/12/13
2spooky4me
I've never'd had a experience like that.
11203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 9/12/13
1 - have you ever encountered anything paranormal? what was it when/when/where?
2 - are you scared of spirits?
3 - are you possessed by anything right now?


-----

1: paranormal : denoting events or phenomena such as telekinesis or clairvoyance that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding. >>> no .. everything can be explained by science

2: no. everyone is a spirit by definition.

3. yes. everyone is possessed by themselves ...

meh.
1185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Iowa
Offline
Posted 9/12/13
1. I'm pretty sure my house is haunted so I hear people talking and shuffling around a lot in my bedroom. I get really sharp onset headaches when they are close to me and they go away pretty fast.
My mom said when I was little I used to talk about a dog, which I had never seen pictures of before, and we were looking through old pictures at my grandma's house and I'm like that's the dog and I knew the name for some reason already. Freaked my mom out. She also said I used to talk to some man in our house, and she figured it was my uncle because he was with the dog. Pretty sure I'm sensitive to spirits but I've never seen one completely materialize since I was little.

2. I wasn't frightened of ghosts until I got followed home by one after a paranormal investigation. I just didn't feel safe, cause he followed me home.

3. I don't particularly believe in possession, spirits can project their feelings/thoughts into you though.
30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/12/13 , edited 9/13/13
I was about to write out a long response to this but I found that someone else already did, and they wrote it better. So here it is.

"Ghosts have never been proven to exist, so it is intellectually responsible and prudent to conclude they do not exist. In order to make sense of our world, we must use the scientific method, not spooky stories, opinions, hoaxes or outright lies by people who need attention or need to feel special. Other believers may be uneducated, superstitious or just too young and naive. The Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. "

"A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses. Scientific researchers propose hypotheses as explanations of phenomena, and design experimental studies to test these hypotheses. These steps must be repeatable in order to dependably predict any future results. Theories that encompass wider domains of inquiry may bind many independently derived hypotheses together in a coherent, supportive structure. This in turn may help form new hypotheses or place groups of hypotheses into context. Among other facets shared by the various fields of inquiry is the conviction that the process must be objective to reduce biased interpretations of the results."

"Another basic expectation is to document, archive and share all data and methodology so they are available for careful scrutiny by other scientists, thereby allowing other researchers the opportunity to verify results by attempting to reproduce them. This practice, called full disclosure, also allows statistical measures of the reliability of these data to be established. In summation: For something to exist it has to be proven. This is how we escaped the dark ages - using reason and logic. So, for now, ghosts do not exist."

"Another "Answer" People believe in ghosts because they might have feelings that spirits are in their own home......I'm terrified of them.....Other answer:I believe in ghosts but are scared of them. People Believe in ghosts because they read and see things about them that builds up their belief of ghosts. So, when they start seeing and hearing things in the night, they think it is a ghost.Many people still believe in ghosts because they fear death. They are afraid of dying themselves, and they are saddened when others who are close to them have died. The idea of ghosts is a psychological coping mechanism, a relief in the form of a false idea that a "spirit" is capable of transcending death. Humans, like most higher animals, fear the unknown. But death is nothing to fear. We were all dead before we were born, and when you're dead you won't even know it!"

By Leah Eider, originally posted on http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_people_believe_in_ghosts&view=classic
18902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/12/13
It was awful...I stopped sleeping in my room because of it. I don't want to talk about it.
25395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 9/12/13

Durrtan wrote:

I was about to write out a long response to this but I found that someone else already did, and they wrote it better. So here it is.

Ghosts have never been proven to exist, so it is intellectually responsible and prudent to conclude they do not exist. In order to make sense of our world, we must use the scientific method, not spooky stories, opinions, hoaxes or outright lies by people who need attention or need to feel special. Other believers may be uneducated, superstitious or just too young and naive. The Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.

A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses. Scientific researchers propose hypotheses as explanations of phenomena, and design experimental studies to test these hypotheses. These steps must be repeatable in order to dependably predict any future results. Theories that encompass wider domains of inquiry may bind many independently derived hypotheses together in a coherent, supportive structure. This in turn may help form new hypotheses or place groups of hypotheses into context. Among other facets shared by the various fields of inquiry is the conviction that the process must be objective to reduce biased interpretations of the results.

Another basic expectation is to document, archive and share all data and methodology so they are available for careful scrutiny by other scientists, thereby allowing other researchers the opportunity to verify results by attempting to reproduce them. This practice, called full disclosure, also allows statistical measures of the reliability of these data to be established. In summation: For something to exist it has to be proven. This is how we escaped the dark ages - using reason and logic. So, for now, ghosts do not exist.

Another "Answer"People believe in ghosts because they might have feelings that spirits are in their own home......I'm terrified of them.....Other answer:I believe in ghosts but are scared of them. People Believe in ghosts because they read and see things about them that builds up their belief of ghosts. So, when they start seeing and hearing things in the night, they think it is a ghost.Many people still believe in ghosts because they fear death. They are afraid of dying themselves, and they are saddened when others who are close to them have died. The idea of ghosts is a psychological coping mechanism, a relief in the form of a false idea that a "spirit" is capable of transcending death.Humans, like most higher animals, fear the unknown. But death is nothing to fear. We were all dead before we were born, and when you're dead you won't even know it!


You do realize that there are paranormal investigators out there that do document, record video and audio and collect tangible evidence of what they find during their investigations, right? Also, and I'm not Christian at all and not trying to turn this into a religious discussion, but there are a lot of people out there who believe in God, even though he has never been proven to exist. This is the same for almost any religion. Does it make those Gods and Goddesses any less real just because they can't be proven to exist? I don't believe so. There is too much in this universe for me to not believe in spirits and that there is a Spiritual Realm out there.

As for the main questions in this forum, I'll get to answering them another time. XD
25395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 9/12/13

minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:

It was awful...I stopped sleeping in my room because of it. I don't want to talk about it.


I'm sorry to hear that. Are you still having problems with the spirit in your room? If so, I may be able to help. You don't need to tell me exactly what's going on, but I have ways to help you get rid of it. Send me a PM if you want to discuss more about it.
42054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 9/13/13
none of the above.



of course i get scared when I hear random sounds in the middle of the night--but that's because I've been watching scary movies throughout my life.


like the other night, i was in the bush in the middle of night, and an animal made a sound, i got scared like hell.



(Don't ask me what i was doing in the bush in the middle of the night)
30 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/13/13

BlackRose0607 wrote:


Durrtan wrote:

I was about to write out a long response to this but I found that someone else already did, and they wrote it better. So here it is.

Ghosts have never been proven to exist, so it is intellectually responsible and prudent to conclude they do not exist. In order to make sense of our world, we must use the scientific method, not spooky stories, opinions, hoaxes or outright lies by people who need attention or need to feel special. Other believers may be uneducated, superstitious or just too young and naive. The Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.

A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses. Scientific researchers propose hypotheses as explanations of phenomena, and design experimental studies to test these hypotheses. These steps must be repeatable in order to dependably predict any future results. Theories that encompass wider domains of inquiry may bind many independently derived hypotheses together in a coherent, supportive structure. This in turn may help form new hypotheses or place groups of hypotheses into context. Among other facets shared by the various fields of inquiry is the conviction that the process must be objective to reduce biased interpretations of the results.

Another basic expectation is to document, archive and share all data and methodology so they are available for careful scrutiny by other scientists, thereby allowing other researchers the opportunity to verify results by attempting to reproduce them. This practice, called full disclosure, also allows statistical measures of the reliability of these data to be established. In summation: For something to exist it has to be proven. This is how we escaped the dark ages - using reason and logic. So, for now, ghosts do not exist.

Another "Answer"People believe in ghosts because they might have feelings that spirits are in their own home......I'm terrified of them.....Other answer:I believe in ghosts but are scared of them. People Believe in ghosts because they read and see things about them that builds up their belief of ghosts. So, when they start seeing and hearing things in the night, they think it is a ghost.Many people still believe in ghosts because they fear death. They are afraid of dying themselves, and they are saddened when others who are close to them have died. The idea of ghosts is a psychological coping mechanism, a relief in the form of a false idea that a "spirit" is capable of transcending death.Humans, like most higher animals, fear the unknown. But death is nothing to fear. We were all dead before we were born, and when you're dead you won't even know it!


You do realize that there are paranormal investigators out there that do document, record video and audio and collect tangible evidence of what they find during their investigations, right? Also, and I'm not Christian at all and not trying to turn this into a religious discussion, but there are a lot of people out there who believe in God, even though he has never been proven to exist. This is the same for almost any religion. Does it make those Gods and Goddesses any less real just because they can't be proven to exist? I don't believe so. There is too much in this universe for me to not believe in spirits and that there is a Spiritual Realm out there.

As for the main questions in this forum, I'll get to answering them another time. XD


Yes, I used to watch those shows about haunted places and people going there to find out about ghost. There is a reason we call them paranormal investigators and not scientist. Scientist follow the evidence, what paranormal investigators do is called "leading the evidence". They start with the conclusion "We think this place is haunted" then they work backward to find evidence to support that claim. That's not using the scientific method, and we don't call it science for that reason. Also, their "evidence" is so weak that is can't stand up to peer review, and until someone can gather evidence on the paranormal that can stand up to the peer review process (in other words show that the paranormal even exist in the first place) they won't get any headway in the scientific community.

Things that have not or can not be proven to exist should not be believed in. If belief alone is all you need for something to be "real" then why not believe in elves, orcs, dragons, vampires, ghouls, the loch nest monster, aliens that come down and probe people on a regular basis, the list goes on. The intellectual honest thing to do is not believe in things until they have been shown to exist, it's dishonest to believe in things as if they were real before they have been proven. This is how we separate fantasy from reality.
24174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 9/13/13 , edited 9/13/13
I am a practicing Witch, and I do believe in the existence of spiritual entities. Fae folk, angels, demons, and ghosts--amongst others--are all quite real to me. What currently disturbs me most in this area is the growing pseudo-science of paranormal investigations, a field that seems to invite every crackpot who can wrap himself in a string of Christmas lights and claim to be "studying resonances" and other such. Their fevered imaginations serve no good to spirits or men. Worse still are those with a little knowledge or insight (or actual psychic ability disguised in more pointless electronic lighting) who do seem able to at least detect the presence of certain spiritual beings. One such unscrupulous group operating in central Mississippi actually advertises tours of a certain Civil War site, trading upon the plight of brave soldiers trapped in unhappy circumstance. Such people are despicable.

If you believe in spiritual entities, then please accord them due dignity and respect. If you do not believe, please respect the beliefs of those who do. And if you just want to make some quick money off of those unable to resist, run for public office.
13057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / West Point (USMA)
Online
Posted 9/13/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

none of the above.



of course i get scared when I hear random sounds in the middle of the night--but that's because I've been watching scary movies throughout my life.


like the other night, i was in the bush in the middle of night, and an animal made a sound, i got scared like hell.



(Don't ask me what i was doing in the bush in the middle of the night)


What were you doing in the bush in the middle of the night?
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.