First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply What are your views on misanthropy?
27157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / In an imperfect w...
Offline
Posted 9/18/13
i'd say i'm a misanthropist. i don't really have a story though, i just feel a general dislike and distrust for people. maybe it's because of all of the horrible things i see and hear other people do.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/18/13

Kakashi_Umino wrote:

i'd say i'm a misanthropist. i don't really have a story though, i just feel a general dislike and distrust for people. maybe it's because of all of the horrible things i see and hear other people do.



I feel that only half of humanity is a mistake but the other half is indifferent.
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 9/18/13

Bavalt wrote:


Well said.

There will always be cowards, and egotists, and naive optimists born to future generations and all of them will invariably fall into the yawning pit of nihilism that awaits such people. Still, the fact remains that misanthropy is an inexcusable and indefensible philosophical position. No matter how good the excuse for it sounds when espoused by individuals who have suffered at the hands of their friends and neighbors, it can never apply to the majority of all people without being guilty of rash generalization.

Sure, over a long enough time line betrayal awaits us all, but the benefits of human bonding so heavily outweigh the pain and unproductivity of isolation, that the risk of injury is always worth it. This is not only true for us emotionally, but true in the real world of competitive ecosystems. If it were not, social animal species, from ants and wasps, to fish and birds wouldn't have come to so thoroughly dominate the planet. There is merit to the project of civilization and 300 years after the enlightenment we are uniquely positioned to see it.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/20/13

xEren_Jaeger wrote:

I'm a Misanthropist with a few exceptions.

Why? Because humans are dirty, filthy creatures who rape, murder, and commit horrible heinous crimes. They lie, and cheat, and betray each other and treat people who are even a LITTLE bit different like some sort of freak.

And of course I hate myself for being such a weak, useless pathetic person.

People that have proven themself, to me, as a good person, are my exceptions. And generally I will be polite to people I don't know.

But honestly... A cat or a dog... Is better than any human.

I mean, how many humans do you know who will love you for their entire life, unconditionally, loyally, without any discrimination, who will protect you if you need it, look after you when you're down, forgive you when you treat them bad??



I feel the same way.
Posted 9/21/13
i used to be one when i was a teenager

i think the problem with misanthropy is that you focus too much on the bad sides of people rather than the good sides.

as i grow up, i learn to appreciate the good sides of people. we all have flaws, none of us is flawfree.


i mean i don't expect myself to get along with everyone, but if i focus too much on the bad sides of people, i'll just stress myself out.


if i focus on the good sides of people, it makes me happy and makes me laugh.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/21/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

i used to be one when i was a teenager

i think the problem with misanthropy is that you focus too much on the bad sides of people rather than the good sides.

as i grow up, i learn to appreciate the good sides of people. we all have flaws, none of us is flawfree.


i mean i don't expect myself to get along with everyone, but if i focus too much on the bad sides of people, i'll just stress myself out.


if i focus on the good sides of people, it makes me happy and makes me laugh.



50983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 9/21/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

i used to be one when i was a teenager

i think the problem with misanthropy is that you focus too much on the bad sides of people rather than the good sides.

as i grow up, i learn to appreciate the good sides of people. we all have flaws, none of us is flawfree.


i mean i don't expect myself to get along with everyone, but if i focus too much on the bad sides of people, i'll just stress myself out.


if i focus on the good sides of people, it makes me happy and makes me laugh.


My shorter version:

"You hate everybody, and then you grow up"
29478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/13 , edited 9/21/13
A little part of me hates people but a bigger part loves them.
It bother me to see how people act towards one another. They step on people but then people can be nice as well
19036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/21/13
my misanthrophic tendencies are based in the degradation of our environment. which can be related back to ignorance, in some cases, but also to greed and corruption. if you don't give a fuck about the negative effects that your decisions will have on others, well then i don't give a fuck about whether or not you get to exsist. so yeah. i am a misanthrope in that regard.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/21/13

susielovespie wrote:

my misanthrophic tendencies are based in the degradation of our environment. which can be related back to ignorance, in some cases, but also to greed and corruption. if you don't give a fuck about the negative effects that your decisions will have on others, well then i don't give a fuck about whether or not you get to exsist. so yeah. i am a misanthrope in that regard.



Ah, I see now.
Posted 9/21/13
What? did somebody just mention misanthropy? Are you after my heart? Ain't gonna happen! I've been a confirmed misanthrope for years. It's not a religion..it's not arrogance....AND it's not a defensive emotional reaction.....it is simply seeing humanity sans rose colored glasses. I don't believe in altruism, it's that simple. So call me a misanthrope if you must. But make no mistake..if I see a fellow human being in trouble I have to help..I just have no faith in humans and find their character suspect. We are not "friends" or ever will be. Please keep your distance.
25515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / HELL
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

AshRandom wrote:

Well said.

There will always be cowards, and egotists, and naive optimists born to future generations and all of them will invariably fall into the yawning pit of nihilism that awaits such people. Still, the fact remains that misanthropy is an inexcusable and indefensible philosophical position. No matter how good the excuse for it sounds when espoused by individuals who have suffered at the hands of their friends and neighbors, it can never apply to the majority of all people without being guilty of rash generalization.

Sure, over a long enough time line betrayal awaits us all, but the benefits of human bonding so heavily outweigh the pain and unproductivity of isolation, that the risk of injury is always worth it. This is not only true for us emotionally, but true in the real world of competitive ecosystems. If it were not, social animal species, from ants and wasps, to fish and birds wouldn't have come to so thoroughly dominate the planet. There is merit to the project of civilization and 300 years after the enlightenment we are uniquely positioned to see it.


Sure, everyone needs to bond with someone. Doesn't necessarily have to be a human. I own two cats. Bindi, and Nik. They have been better companions to me than most HUMANS I have met have been and will ever be.

As I posted earlier:

Why bother with humans, who inevitably will backstab, lie, cheat, or hurt you, when you can have an animal companion who will love you unfailingly, no matter what you do? Namely because animals don't understand what lying is and betrayal. And you don't see animals murdering each other everyday for stupid, petty, idiotic reasons like humans do.

Just take a look at the news, any day at all. What's on there? OH, HEY, someone was MURDERED and RAPED. Oh, another MURDER! A BOMBING. Or maybe even a SHOOTING.

Humans are destroying the planet we live on with pollution and chemical warfare. HUMANS are blowing up CHILDREN with CHEMICAL WEAPONS in SYRIA. I saw a photograph of a dead child. Of children with burns all over their scalps from chemicals.

Who did that? HUMANS DID.

And that's the only 'defence' needed.
12921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
104 / M / The Milky Way Galaxy
Offline
Posted 9/22/13 , edited 9/22/13

xEren_Jaeger wrote:


AshRandom wrote:

Well said.

There will always be cowards, and egotists, and naive optimists born to future generations and all of them will invariably fall into the yawning pit of nihilism that awaits such people. Still, the fact remains that misanthropy is an inexcusable and indefensible philosophical position. No matter how good the excuse for it sounds when espoused by individuals who have suffered at the hands of their friends and neighbors, it can never apply to the majority of all people without being guilty of rash generalization.

Sure, over a long enough time line betrayal awaits us all, but the benefits of human bonding so heavily outweigh the pain and unproductivity of isolation, that the risk of injury is always worth it. This is not only true for us emotionally, but true in the real world of competitive ecosystems. If it were not, social animal species, from ants and wasps, to fish and birds wouldn't have come to so thoroughly dominate the planet. There is merit to the project of civilization and 300 years after the enlightenment we are uniquely positioned to see it.


Sure, everyone needs to bond with someone. Doesn't necessarily have to be a human. I own two cats. Bindi, and Nik. They have been better companions to me than most HUMANS I have met have been and will ever be.

As I posted earlier:

Why bother with humans, who inevitably will backstab, lie, cheat, or hurt you, when you can have an animal companion who will love you unfailingly, no matter what you do? Namely because animals don't understand what lying is and betrayal. And you don't see animals murdering each other everyday for stupid, petty, idiotic reasons like humans do.

Just take a look at the news, any day at all. What's on there? OH, HEY, someone was MURDERED and RAPED. Oh, another MURDER! A BOMBING. Or maybe even a SHOOTING.

Humans are destroying the planet we live on with pollution and chemical warfare. HUMANS are blowing up CHILDREN with CHEMICAL WEAPONS in SYRIA. I saw a photograph of a dead child. Of children with burns all over their scalps from chemicals.

Who did that? HUMANS DID.

And that's the only 'defence' needed.


I think what you're lacking is hope. Hope for the future and hope that things will improve. Isn't that what drives most people to continue moving forward? Perhaps it's just ignorance in the end but hope is what most people rely on. You must remember that you're also human. There are many others that think the same way and have the same beliefs. It's fine to distrust most of humanity but to believe that everybody is evil only reveals your lack of experience.

"And you don't see animals murdering each other everyday for stupid, petty, idiotic reasons like humans do."
Animals murder each other for stupid, petty, idiotic reasons all the time. Most animals will kill each other for simply entering their territory. That'd be like if I claimed my entire block as my territory and killed you for walking on my sidewalk. Most humans are a little bit more civilized than that. There are many more reasons why animals are just as murderous as humans but I don't feel like listing all of them.

Anyway, the whole point is that you must remember one thing. Humans are the only species capable of saving this world and changing other humans. You can sit around and complain about how you hate humanity or you can do something about it.
23624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Atlanta, Georgia
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
I cannot stand most of humanity. They just do stupid things for their personal benefit with no care for what that means for society or the environment. I have a high mistrust and general dislike for majority of the people I meet. However, I do have friends and find quite a few people enjoyable.
397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Jamaica
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
I would say I have misanthropic inclinations, but that is a result of seeing more negatives in humanity than positives. I try to see the good in humanity, but it is quickly eclipsed by the war, greed, bigotry, and intolerance committed by people. I would think that humanity in general would learn over the centuries their mistakes and do better but sadly that is nothing more than an idealistic fantasy. Personally speaking I think the planet would be better off without humanity, me included.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.