First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
Post Reply EU and Middle East Territories for Kill la Kill
25297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Hertfordshire, UK
Offline
Posted 9/27/13

brego1 wrote:

Here in Scandinavia we're not getting either Kill la Kill or Magi, which are 2 of the biggest releases of the season. Licensing limitations is said. It's fine and I understand the argument. My question then is: WHO IS IT THAT HAS THE LICENSE!??

This isn't the U.K, Germany, France or Italy, large European countries were there are companies releasing this stuff either by streaming or DVD. Everything you can buy here (Denmark) is import either from the U.K or the U.S. So I don't believe anyone has the license for these kinds of series here. If anyone knows better or has information on that, please correct me. It just seems to me at this point that even though I pay full price, I get less than half of what others get for their money.


You can watch Kill la Kill on Daisuki.

Here's the article: https://www.daisuki.net/topics/view/10122
67854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 9/27/13 , edited 9/27/13

brego1 wrote: Here in Scandinavia we're not getting either Kill la Kill or Magi, which are 2 of the biggest releases of the season. Licensing limitations is said. It's fine and I understand the argument. My question then is: WHO IS IT THAT HAS THE LICENSE!??

For Kill la Kill, it doesn't seem like anyone has the license, since Aniplex of Japan is streaming everywhere in Europe outside of UK, Ireland, and Francaphone-EU on Daisuki. Or else, if they do they are not insisting on exclusive streaming rights.

The licensing limitation for Crunchyroll is Aniplex of America didn't pick up Scandinavian rights. And so series sub-licensed from Aniplex of America won't include Scandinavian rights.

In the last year (Fall 2012-Summer 2013), there have been 10 Aniplex of America sub-licenses, and 9 have been blocked to Scandinavia, so Aniplex of America does not seem to ask for the Scandinavian rights.

Since three of seven announcements so far are Aniplex of America titles, that hits the availability hard. Its too early to tell if its a trend, or if its just the Aniplex titles. (Edit: Now its four out of eight)

Hopefully Scandinavia will do better when the Sentai sub-licenses are announced ~ last season, the two series Sentai picked up from TBS (Rozen Maiden 2 and Stella Women's Academy) included Scandinavia even though the UK was blocked, so clearly Sentai is specifically asking for shared Scandinavia streaming rights.
brego1 
36520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Northern Europe
Offline
Posted 9/27/13
Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it.
17836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 9/28/13

agila61 wrote:

When its the fault of a Japanese licensor, if CR was the type of company that went ahead and said, "Oh, that was Company XYZ who insisted on blocking you out," and then that company found themselves inundated with the kind of insult and virtriole that mendo_shutaro heaps on Crunchyroll, the odds are that Crunchyroll would not get any licensing from that company in the following season.

Better over the long haul for everyone if Crunchyroll shows the licensors that they can be discreet, and work behind the scenes to get broader rights when serious obstacles arise.


It is stuff like this that somewhat earns CR (and other companies) the undeserved ire of the potential customers. It's a situation not of their making, but they are the visible point of contact. So that get the undeserved anger.

But, ultimately, choosing to keep an explanation away from people (or choosing to agree to terms that oblige them to do so) is CR's call. And that is why i get annoyed.

I have... issues with people not explaining situations fully. And if I don't accept it from my own place of work not saying that a "temporary problem" will actually be fairly long-term, why should i take it from something so comparatively unimportant as a video streaming service?

Or at the very least, their marketing and acquisitions teams should work closer together. Streaming rights may not be global but the hype machine is. If they think that they won't be able to release it globally, maybe they just shouldn't talk about it until all the ink is dry.

Also, they really need to fix the lineup and show description pages. Make it clearer from the outset what is and isn't available in you actual region earlier in the process. Taking Kill La kill as an example:

1) Ooh, a show with an interesting thumbnail. I'll look at its details page.
2) I see a poster, no video (which is normal for a not-broadcast) show and... the Add To Queue button.
3) I know, I'll scroll down to see when it starts and who makes the show...
4 ) Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.

So i can add it to my queue before finding out I can't watch it?
Words fail me. Or at least words that won't get me in trouble with the forum mods. :-p I know exactly what it makes me feel.

The entire "upcoming lineup" page is designed to make people desperately ready to watch the shows that interest them. But its't not until a small paragraph at the bottom of the show's page, scrolled off the bottom.
And then people wonder why fans from the UK and other regions get irate?
29023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/28/13
Fair enough I know its not Crunchyroll's fault that they are not able to get shows licensed everywhere.


TiggsPanther wrote:
Also, they really need to fix the lineup and show description pages. Make it clearer from the outset what is and isn't available in you actual region earlier in the process. Taking Kill La kill as an example:

1) Ooh, a show with an interesting thumbnail. I'll look at its details page.
2) I see a poster, no video (which is normal for a not-broadcast) show and... the Add To Queue button.
3) I know, I'll scroll down to see when it starts and who makes the show...
4 ) Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.

So i can add it to my queue before finding out I can't watch it?
Words fail me. Or at least words that won't get me in trouble with the forum mods. :-p I know exactly what it makes me feel.

The entire "upcoming lineup" page is designed to make people desperately ready to watch the shows that interest them. But its't not until a small paragraph at the bottom of the show's page, scrolled off the bottom.
And then people wonder why fans from the UK and other regions get irate?


Agreed, its this that I would like to be made more obvious, for example I just wish they would do something simple such as setting the image opacity to say 0.4 for the thumbnails that are not available in your region.

That way they could make it clear from the season lineup page that the show is not available, whilst still showing that they have licensed it elsewhere and still enabling you to easily visit the shows page.
17836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 9/28/13
Actually, do you know what is getting more annoying? I can actually pretty much guarantee what shows are my style when they hit the "not avialable in the UK" list.

I just read on a UK Anime Forum thread that "Samurai Flamenco" is blocked out from here, too. And, what do you know, it's an interesting take on a superhero story. Or, to put it another way, Tiggs' Primary Subgenre .

Now granted I still find my subscription worth paying for. Mainly as I like watching on a console and hate adverts with a burning passion. But even though I am getting value for my money, the worryingly large amount of shows that aren't hitting the UK is beginning to grate.

If things aren't fixed by the spring season I may ditch my subscription for a while.
Not out of spite, but simply because there'll be no new shows I want and by then I'll already have watched (and rewatched and, in some cases, bought) the ones I like. And I can save a few months' cash and catch up on my Blu-ray and videogame backlog instead.
10113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
65 / F / Manchester, England
Offline
Posted 9/28/13
Yes! Please Crunchyroll, if we're not going to get the anime in the UK DON'T hype it to us. Don't put it on our upcoming shows page and, better still, please give us value for our membership money.
67854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 9/28/13 , edited 9/28/13

TiggsPanther wrote: But, ultimately, choosing to keep an explanation away from people (or choosing to agree to terms that oblige them to do so) is CR's call. And that is why i get annoyed.

Yes, but remember that at least half of Crunchyroll's licenses each season are direct negotiations with Japanese international licensors. So Crunchyroll can explain things fully, and have 10-15 new simulcasts per season, or behave in what the Japanese companies view as an appropriate manner and have 20.


TiggsPanther wrote: Actually, do you know what is getting more annoying? I can actually pretty much guarantee what shows are my style when they hit the "not avialable in the UK" list.

The series expected to be the most popular are the ones that attract interest from home video distributors, and those are the ones that are the most likely to see Crunchyroll have to accept whatever region terms are available from the North American home video distributors.

The biggest shoe still to drop is whether Sentai continues to pick up UK streaming rights. For several years, Sentai has been the best home video distributor for picking up UK streaming rights. So of course, people whose tastes line up with the kinds of series Sentai picks up are more likely to be happy with the region access than those whose tastes run in different lines.


auburnimp wrote: Yes! Please Crunchyroll, if we're not going to get the anime in the UK DON'T hype it to us. Don't put it on our upcoming shows page and, better still, please give us value for our membership money.

If the UK version of the site doesn't filter out series that are blocked in the UK in the upcoming anime list, that's a site design bug that Crunchyroll needs to fix. You ought to report that to the Help/Feedback forum.



20160 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Scotland!
Offline
Posted 10/1/13 , edited 10/1/13

agila61 wrote:

or are just going to leave UK without a simulcast, waiting for the physical release, either way is clearly not a permanent solution.




An interesting development UK side. Andrew from the newest UK anime distributor Anime Limited/All the Anime just posted this to Facebook: "Andrew here for a moment - got a very cool announcement coming soon. Who fancies hearing more about Anime Limited acquiring their very first simulcast-ready title...?"

Looks like you were dead on when you said a UK distributor must've snatched up the rights, however we don't know what title it is but at the same time I thing everyone knows what this title is.
67854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

Scottzor wrote: An interesting development UK side. Andrew from the newest UK anime distributor Anime Limited/All the Anime just posted this to Facebook: "Andrew here for a moment - got a very cool announcement coming soon. Who fancies hearing more about Anime Limited acquiring their very first simulcast-ready title...?" ...

Interesting. The French venture, were Kana Media stopped having Crunchyroll run their streaming and threw in with Kaze, now has four simulcasts of their ten up: Magi2, Coppelion (a Viz American pickup), Kuroko's Basket 2, and Outbreak Company.
36533 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
Good news for EU members that aren't in the UK, and French and German speaking areas:


Kill la Kill will now also be available in the following territories: EU except UK, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Algeria, Monaco, Tunisia, Germany, Luxembourg, Austria, and Liechtenstein. Availability for the expanded regions will start in 2 months.


That's from the Nagi no Asukara, Infinite Stratos 2 and Outbreak Company thread
8132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/3/13
I assume Aniplex is locking up streaming rights with their Daisuke.net, so CR isn't doing a live streaming?
50472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/3/13 , edited 10/3/13

coolasj19 wrote:

I assume Aniplex is locking up streaming rights with their Daisuke.net, so CR isn't doing a live streaming?

Daisuki just tweeted again that they will have Kill la Kill 1 hour after it airs in Japan. Not sure about CR since the placeholder isn't up yet but they say 11:30am Pacific time which means 8.5 hours from now. It airs in Japan in 5 hours according to anichart.net so Daisuki claims it will be up in 6 hours. That's 2.5 hours earlier than Crunchyroll but at least it isn't a month late like Monogatari SS...
8132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/3/13

hpulley wrote:


coolasj19 wrote:

I assume Aniplex is locking up streaming rights with their Daisuke.net, so CR isn't doing a live streaming?

Daisuki just tweeted again that they will have Kill la Kill 1 hour after it airs in Japan. Not sure about CR since the placeholder isn't up yet but they say 11:30am Pacific time which means 8.5 hours from now. It airs in Japan in 5 hours according to anichart.net so Daisuki claims it will be up in 6 hours. That's 2.5 hours earlier than Crunchyroll but at least it isn't a month late like Monogatari SS...


Ahh. I missed something when I was reading the first time. I thought it was a Monogatari deal. I don't like the idea of Daisuke. Aniplex doesn't have the best track record when it comes to not screwing other countries. Usually competition is a good thing, but not if the competition are the content creators themselves.
15190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 10/3/13
I was so exited to watch kill la kill but then i find out that nowhere is streaming it in the uk :(

at least there are a few other shows that are ooking interesting that i wasn't all hyped about.
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.