First  Prev  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  Next  Last
Post Reply Living Under a Boulder? Reasons to Watch Attack on Titan.
24410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

ArtyD42 wrote:


Heartbound wrote:

Easily one of the best animes out there story wise, animation, sound, character development. Armin I use to want to drop dead, but became a fucking genius.


Again I am not asking for what you think of it. I am asking for you to summarize why I should be watching it within one sentence.

Why is it the best anime out there story wise?
Why is the animation better than everything in existance?
Why is the sound so perfect?
Why is the character development so perfect?

You don't produce anything to keep me interested still.

How about I give another example?

It's a tennis themed show which contains absolutely nothing about tennis and goes completely insane within seconds as it only has 2 minutes to get your attention. New episode in... about an hour from this posting.


High five man.

Remember people, you can only give a sound opinion that is backed up by facts. "Because it is awesome!" is an opinion. Why is it awesome? How? I gave substance of praise AND substance of problems. I know facts can be very scary creatures, but they can also be your greatest weapons.

USE FACTS AND TURN THEM INTO WORDS!!! OTHERWISE, YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!!!
21587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside the Black...
Offline
Posted 9/22/13


Maybe no one gives a shite if you watch it or not, Arty.

I mean, hell, if you can't decide for yourself why or why not you want to watch it on your own merits...then you probably shouldn't be on the internet. Not to mention what you're asking is asinine and arbitrary.

Boy...if I had to ask for facts on why to watch a show that is subjectively based around one's own likes and dislikes (which kind of directly contradict the entire point of 'facts'), I'd probably be confused as hell too. Either that, or you actually need it spelled out as to what exactly the show factually is...which makes me wonder why you haven't read the description of the show that CR has on the main AoT page. Too funny. Good little laugh.
12598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / F / NS, Canada
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
I avoided this series for the longest time. It was all I heard about everywhere and thought, meh, I can live without it. Then one day bored, at midnight, I started watching it and I did not sleep. I just watched until I was 100% caught up, which was episode 17 at the time. Then I read all the manga. I was hooked. I love it!

The series captivates me. The little guy (literally) up against the big guy (again, literally). The big guy will mindlessly eat the little guy as we would pop grapes without thought and appears to be completely random. They move around wrecking everything in sight, wreaking mayhem with no modi operandi. I mean seriously, what the hell? It's sick and twisted but I can't tear myself away.

Then the main character is a
? Madness! SnK is not afraid to kill off characters we come to love. It is brutal because the world it takes place in is brutal. Humanity is on the brink of extinction. They are fighting hard for their lives despite
.

For me it was just something unlike anything I had seen before. As I get deeper into the story, I see more and more makes sense. I am enjoying the journey it has taken me on.

A lot of people complain about the pacing. It follows the manga practically to a T. I am never bored watching an episode, even though I know what is coming. I get so drawn in that each episode feels like 5 minutes, it goes so fast. I feel it is paced exactly how it should be.

This is all my opinion and I respect the fact that others may not like it . Not everybody likes the same thing. I just think people should give it a try before dissing it. I have ended up loving tons of anime that I thought I would hate when I gave it a try (as my two day Kuroko's Basketball marathon this week would attest, lol!). Now I want to watch everything!
19546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Midwest, USA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

vglan-funman wrote:


Vin_Howard wrote:


vglan-funman wrote:


Vin_Howard wrote:



You put it perfectly. Eren's "death" didn't advance the series in any shape or way. (Him gaining his titan powers are separate from his "death" from a writing construction standpoint)

Also, what I mean by shounen battle manga philosophy:

1. Have the main cast face an enemy that is insanely op compared to them (after barely defeating a new enemy, it is always revealed that this new enemy is just the weakest of his group, and that the others are 10x stronger)

2. SHOUT FOR THE SAKE OF SHOUTING

3. Add as much of useless lines and scenes. While a major rule of writing is only to include what is absolutely necessary for the story, here toy should break that rule and pad your story as much as possible

4. Give your character some op power to fight his enemies, but make it difficult to control; this will allow you to pad your story with a a bunch of drama about the "uncertainty" of the power, while making sure it always works out in the end

5. Add as much drama and suspense as possible. It doesn't matter if it makes your story shallow, this is a MUST. I cannot stress how vitally important this is, as this is the very essence of a popular shonen series!

----

On a side note, as the series is coming to a close soon, I have decided to start examining the "Writer's spirit." What I mean by this is that I examining the story, the various elements, the charters, how the story was constructed, I try to read the soul that the writer breaths into his story (even the worst of stories can have a strong "soul").

While I haven't finished yet (it involves a LOT of thinking), I have discovered something interesting. I think the writer was honestly trying to construct a really well made world. You can really see the amount of detail given to the initial story. But probably due to lack of skill, the writer reverted to the shallow shounen philosophy when it came to writing the meat of the story. In the end, AoT might have been a really great epic, something along the lines of Fate/Zero, but something that inevitably feel into mediocrity due to the writer's lack of skill.


>Pretty sure Eren getting eaten by the Titan, therefore awakening his Titan powers is advancing the series dude. They're interconnected; you can't have one without mentioning the other.

>Your shonen points:
1. This is a point in a lot of manga, not only shonen, but seinen, shojo, slice of life etc. It's all about the characters meeting new obstacles and being able to overcome said obstacles. Don't really see how this is a flaw...at all...

2. I would understand this point if not for the fact that AoT's story calls for it on many occasions, whether rallying the troops or a character giving himself the courage to go on in the midst of all the adversity.

3. And your points fail again. Most of the lines in the series either serve to give us background on the character's, highlight some of the current plot points, or tell us of future plot points to come. Unless you can actually find evidence of this (you've really struggled in this department bruh), then fail. Again.

4. Again, how is this point exactly bad? If Eren knew how to control his powers, even more haters and detractors would arrive and claim that "Eren is OP" and other nonsense like that. It's a no win situation apparently, so why not go with the path that'll dish out the least amount of damage (if the damage is even existent in the first damned place).

5. Since when does including drama and suspense in a series = flaw? Especially when one of the genres of the series is "Drama". Cmon son.

Thanks for proving that, again, most AoT haters and their arguments have no pounds, kilos, weight whatsoever.



1. I mean op super villain that the heroes have no way of defeating, but still always beat in the end, usually with surprising ease (oh look, the best of the best just got whipped out by the Titans; we have no way of winning; few episodes later: yay, we retook the town, we only lost some faceless number that was just thrown out there with no real consideration; oh look, that female titan just murder the VERY VERY best like it was the easiest thing; next episode: look at the rookie really messing with that same female Titan like it was the easiest thing in the world, and lets watch as the other guy solo r*pes her with moves impossible in reality)

2. Well I guess I will give you this point. But I still feel it is being used more than justifiable.

3. As a matter of fact: https://plus.google.com/113581974701996236770/posts/KJttaZ3EMSK

4. You fail to see my point. I am saying the power itself is a shounen battle manga tactic.

5. "Drama is life with the dull bits cut out" - Alfred Hitchcock. There is both good drama and bad drama. Good drama is used to create a deep, riveting, relatable story. Bad drama, the type I am talking about, is used only for the sake of engaging the audience's attention. It is shallow, and serves no benefit except for attracting a casual crowd that either doesn't care or doesn't know what a good story is, aka it is great for making a cash cow but at the same time undermines the quality of the writing.

PS, can you PLEASE actually think about what I am typing instead of just skimming over it and then thinking of what you think is a smart comeback. Yes, if we were writing an outline of the plot of AoT, Eren's death and him gaining his power have a lot to do with each other. But I am *NOT* talking about a plot outline, I am talking about the various elements of the story and how they influence the meat of the story. If you cannot comprehend this simple difference, then it will be impossible for me to show what is wrong with AoT in the same way that it would be impossible to show that 2+ does not equal 3 to someone who doesn't understand matchamatics.


1. And again it goes back to conquering a goal and moving past an obstacle. If you can't see that this is, in slightly different forms but still there nonetheless, in nearly EVERY modern anime/manga/show (and not even modern, period) then go back and reevaluate.

3. I said, "anything that is useless". Every bit of dialogue in those pictures were used to either convey confusion by the lower members, frustration and panic from the higher members, etc. My point still stands.

4. And I just said a while ago that just because the series uses a few shonen tactics doesn't make it bad. Wow. Again.

5. And this is where this convo ends, I'm afraid. I know that you feel that AoT is the latter of the drama's but in truth this portion is all subjective. I could even rebut with the fact that many fans feel relatability to Eren and the rest of humanities cause.

6. Still not getting that Eren's death essentially IS Eren's transformation? Still not getting that they can be seen as singular and pushed the plot ahead in a very BIG way? Cmon son, you're not even trying anymore. (And did you happen to think that thinking time for others varies from person to person? Hence why I can read what you posted, comprehend the nonsense of what you posted and combat it appropriately).



And that where I end my conversation with you. You obvious lack the intellectual capacity to understand what I am saying. At this point, me trying to explain the workings of AoT storytelling would be like trying to explain advanced mathematics to someone who can't even comprehend something as simple as 2+2=4. And here I was hoping for a good debate :/
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Denver
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

zarakijorge wrote:



Maybe no one gives a shite if you watch it or not, Arty.

I mean, hell, if you can't decide for yourself why or why not you want to watch it on your own merits...then you probably shouldn't be on the internet. Not to mention what you're asking is asinine and arbitrary.

Boy...if I had to ask for facts on why to watch a show that is subjectively based around one's own likes and dislikes (which kind of directly contradict the entire point of 'facts'), I'd probably be confused as hell too. Either that, or you actually need it spelled out as to what exactly the show factually is...which makes me wonder why you haven't read the description of the show that CR has on the main AoT page. Too funny. Good little laugh.


Lol, I was confused by Arty's pompous request also. Why would you ask someone to convince you to do something you aren't interested in doing yourself??? Sounds like a lot of hand-holding for strangers on the internet. Demanding other people to persuade you of something when you have already made up your mind and have no intention of changing your mind, is how trolls are born.
19546 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Midwest, USA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

aidenraine wrote:

"shonen" is just a demographic. it's a way to categorize anime that is meant to appeal to young males, age 10-18. it has nothing to do with that type of show. not all of them are the same. Fullmetal Alchemist was shonen, and I loved it. mirai nikki was shonen, and it was decent. broken blade, busou renkin, soul eater, freaking Gundam.. all technically shonen, but enjoyable. the difference is that shows like the "big" 3, AoT, DBZ is that those previously listed are not hollow stories with stagnant uninteresting cardboard cutouts for characters.


I geuss Future Diary was published in a shounen magazine, but I would argue that Broken Blade is a seinen
10536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
Haha, the series is awesome but I haven't watched it in a couple of weeks. I really should catch up because one of the main reasons I watch this is because of Levi and he finally shows up. I do have to agree that some of the episodes really made me switch to reading the manga though. It is so hard to simply wait a week to know what happens next! Whether it is the anime or manga, it really keeps you on your toes.
22105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Huntsville, Alabama
Offline
Posted 9/22/13 , edited 9/22/13
I could not get past the second episode it was so boring, stupid and predictable it su**s. All it amounts to is that its a poor horror anime. stupid people die-check, blood and guts all over the place-check. people going crazy while running around in circles then they die also-check. And do they not realize there are better ways to take down a titan even ones that are abnormal. Come on, people are not that stupid. THINK.THINK.THINK. ATTACK ON TITAN is not even worth the time wasted to give it a rating. The manga is better.
oSolar 
15075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Hollywood California
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

aidenraine wrote:


oSolar wrote:


aidenraine wrote:


oSolar wrote:

I couldn't have put this better myself. I really cannot believe people complain of pacing for a 25 episode season. Haven't any of you seen an episode of ANY of the big 3? Trost was what like 8 episodes and people complain that it was drawn out? Marineford/Sasuke retrieval arc was how long again?


and the thing there is... not everybody likes the "big" 3. personally, I despise them and any show like them.


Any show like them? Every shonen ever.


"shonen" is just a demographic. it's a way to categorize anime that is meant to appeal to young males, age 10-18. it has nothing to do with that type of show. not all of them are the same. Fullmetal Alchemist was shonen, and I loved it. mirai nikki was shonen, and it was decent. broken blade, busou renkin, soul eater, freaking Gundam.. all technically shonen, but enjoyable. the difference is that shows like the "big" 3, AoT, DBZ is that those previously listed are not hollow stories with stagnant uninteresting cardboard cutouts for characters.


You have SAO listed as one of your favorites come on now guy.
hmm_4x 
22491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

jolot wrote:

I still don't like it. I'm still watching it thinking it will grow into something more, but no. We are two(?) episodes away from the end, and I still don't feel like I care about any of the things on screen at all. I want to like it though, don't get me wrong. It's just that none of the characters in the show does it for me. I don't like them. I don't care if they die(except potato girl). Eren, Mikasa, Whiny-kid. No, no, no. Just die already. It's also damn slow. The pacing is brutal. I like the world and the setting. The first intro was epic. The music overall is decent. But come on, it's over-hyped. I wanted much more than I've gotten so far. The first couple of episodes were really effective. I almost shat my pants when we first see the that über-sized titan behind Eren atop the wall. God, it was good. But now, I'm bored. Sorry. Glad it's almost over. I'm glad people enjoy it, but there's so many other shows they should see before this one.

Score: 2,5/5


Name 2 other shows that you think are honestly on par with is?? I get that it's just your opinion but the show has literally everything. Character development, twists and F**king cliffhangers out the ass.
What shows? Hmm?
jolot 
24110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / OSLO
Offline
Posted 9/22/13 , edited 9/22/13

hmm_4x wrote:

Name 2 other shows that you think are honestly on par with is?? I get that it's just your opinion but the show has literally everything. Character development, twists and F**king cliffhangers out the ass.
What shows? Hmm?


Well, since I find the show nothing more than mediocre, picking a show I think is on par with it wouldn't be that hard.

46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Atlanta, Georgia
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

Vin_Howard wrote:


vglan-funman wrote:


Vin_Howard wrote:


vglan-funman wrote:


Vin_Howard wrote:



You put it perfectly. Eren's "death" didn't advance the series in any shape or way. (Him gaining his titan powers are separate from his "death" from a writing construction standpoint)

Also, what I mean by shounen battle manga philosophy:

1. Have the main cast face an enemy that is insanely op compared to them (after barely defeating a new enemy, it is always revealed that this new enemy is just the weakest of his group, and that the others are 10x stronger)

2. SHOUT FOR THE SAKE OF SHOUTING

3. Add as much of useless lines and scenes. While a major rule of writing is only to include what is absolutely necessary for the story, here toy should break that rule and pad your story as much as possible

4. Give your character some op power to fight his enemies, but make it difficult to control; this will allow you to pad your story with a a bunch of drama about the "uncertainty" of the power, while making sure it always works out in the end

5. Add as much drama and suspense as possible. It doesn't matter if it makes your story shallow, this is a MUST. I cannot stress how vitally important this is, as this is the very essence of a popular shonen series!

----

On a side note, as the series is coming to a close soon, I have decided to start examining the "Writer's spirit." What I mean by this is that I examining the story, the various elements, the charters, how the story was constructed, I try to read the soul that the writer breaths into his story (even the worst of stories can have a strong "soul").

While I haven't finished yet (it involves a LOT of thinking), I have discovered something interesting. I think the writer was honestly trying to construct a really well made world. You can really see the amount of detail given to the initial story. But probably due to lack of skill, the writer reverted to the shallow shounen philosophy when it came to writing the meat of the story. In the end, AoT might have been a really great epic, something along the lines of Fate/Zero, but something that inevitably feel into mediocrity due to the writer's lack of skill.


>Pretty sure Eren getting eaten by the Titan, therefore awakening his Titan powers is advancing the series dude. They're interconnected; you can't have one without mentioning the other.

>Your shonen points:
1. This is a point in a lot of manga, not only shonen, but seinen, shojo, slice of life etc. It's all about the characters meeting new obstacles and being able to overcome said obstacles. Don't really see how this is a flaw...at all...

2. I would understand this point if not for the fact that AoT's story calls for it on many occasions, whether rallying the troops or a character giving himself the courage to go on in the midst of all the adversity.

3. And your points fail again. Most of the lines in the series either serve to give us background on the character's, highlight some of the current plot points, or tell us of future plot points to come. Unless you can actually find evidence of this (you've really struggled in this department bruh), then fail. Again.

4. Again, how is this point exactly bad? If Eren knew how to control his powers, even more haters and detractors would arrive and claim that "Eren is OP" and other nonsense like that. It's a no win situation apparently, so why not go with the path that'll dish out the least amount of damage (if the damage is even existent in the first damned place).

5. Since when does including drama and suspense in a series = flaw? Especially when one of the genres of the series is "Drama". Cmon son.

Thanks for proving that, again, most AoT haters and their arguments have no pounds, kilos, weight whatsoever.



1. I mean op super villain that the heroes have no way of defeating, but still always beat in the end, usually with surprising ease (oh look, the best of the best just got whipped out by the Titans; we have no way of winning; few episodes later: yay, we retook the town, we only lost some faceless number that was just thrown out there with no real consideration; oh look, that female titan just murder the VERY VERY best like it was the easiest thing; next episode: look at the rookie really messing with that same female Titan like it was the easiest thing in the world, and lets watch as the other guy solo r*pes her with moves impossible in reality)

2. Well I guess I will give you this point. But I still feel it is being used more than justifiable.

3. As a matter of fact: https://plus.google.com/113581974701996236770/posts/KJttaZ3EMSK

4. You fail to see my point. I am saying the power itself is a shounen battle manga tactic.

5. "Drama is life with the dull bits cut out" - Alfred Hitchcock. There is both good drama and bad drama. Good drama is used to create a deep, riveting, relatable story. Bad drama, the type I am talking about, is used only for the sake of engaging the audience's attention. It is shallow, and serves no benefit except for attracting a casual crowd that either doesn't care or doesn't know what a good story is, aka it is great for making a cash cow but at the same time undermines the quality of the writing.

PS, can you PLEASE actually think about what I am typing instead of just skimming over it and then thinking of what you think is a smart comeback. Yes, if we were writing an outline of the plot of AoT, Eren's death and him gaining his power have a lot to do with each other. But I am *NOT* talking about a plot outline, I am talking about the various elements of the story and how they influence the meat of the story. If you cannot comprehend this simple difference, then it will be impossible for me to show what is wrong with AoT in the same way that it would be impossible to show that 2+ does not equal 3 to someone who doesn't understand matchamatics.


1. And again it goes back to conquering a goal and moving past an obstacle. If you can't see that this is, in slightly different forms but still there nonetheless, in nearly EVERY modern anime/manga/show (and not even modern, period) then go back and reevaluate.

3. I said, "anything that is useless". Every bit of dialogue in those pictures were used to either convey confusion by the lower members, frustration and panic from the higher members, etc. My point still stands.

4. And I just said a while ago that just because the series uses a few shonen tactics doesn't make it bad. Wow. Again.

5. And this is where this convo ends, I'm afraid. I know that you feel that AoT is the latter of the drama's but in truth this portion is all subjective. I could even rebut with the fact that many fans feel relatability to Eren and the rest of humanities cause.

6. Still not getting that Eren's death essentially IS Eren's transformation? Still not getting that they can be seen as singular and pushed the plot ahead in a very BIG way? Cmon son, you're not even trying anymore. (And did you happen to think that thinking time for others varies from person to person? Hence why I can read what you posted, comprehend the nonsense of what you posted and combat it appropriately).



And that where I end my conversation with you. You obvious lack the intellectual capacity to understand what I am saying. At this point, me trying to explain the workings of AoT storytelling would be like trying to explain advanced mathematics to someone who can't even comprehend something as simple as 2+2=4. And here I was hoping for a good debate :/



lol Okay guy. Okay.
18881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

zarakijorge wrote:



Maybe no one gives a shite if you watch it or not, Arty.

I mean, hell, if you can't decide for yourself why or why not you want to watch it on your own merits...then you probably shouldn't be on the internet. Not to mention what you're asking is asinine and arbitrary.

Boy...if I had to ask for facts on why to watch a show that is subjectively based around one's own likes and dislikes (which kind of directly contradict the entire point of 'facts'), I'd probably be confused as hell too. Either that, or you actually need it spelled out as to what exactly the show factually is...which makes me wonder why you haven't read the description of the show that CR has on the main AoT page. Too funny. Good little laugh.


Good laugh right? Because it's so difficult a challenge that nobody can bother to even look at wikipedia to copy/paste an answer even. It's so damed simple that you're all too busy paragraphing about how great this is that you're going to not give a shit about giving a good reason to watch a show in a single sentence.

Seen as a threat to mankind by some, and as a ray of hope by others, Eren joins his companions in a desperate fight to protect what remains of their society while looking for answers to the mysteries surrounding the Titans, the Walls, and his own existence as well.

I would of accepted it before, but you were all too full of yourselves to even find it. Your heads are so inflated about how great this show is you can't even give this simple of a reason to actually watch this show. And it's ripped from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Titan directly.

This is the folly of the overhype. You attract the fans who can't spread the popularity of it. You attract the people who don't have the intellectual capacity to bring people to understand and want to see the show. The hype is killing this series slowly. The fanboy flock is on the march to continue to do so. The existence of this thread proved it beyond all shadow of a doubt.

To all the fanboys: You should be ashamed of yourselves trying to kill off a series with hype.

To all the true fans: Would of appreciated a reason that I didn't have to go to wikipedia for.
278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / America
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
That point 5 Marco XDD
79 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
Author: MasakoX "...and strong character development."

I have to heavily object.... as much as I love AoT, no seriously I love it so much I might have to replace one show on my all time top 3 fav animes that has remained unchanged for 5 years, but the characters in the show and their development is AWFUL! It's honestly the biggest issue with it.

Ok fine they aren't awful but they are all "meh" or to put it in better words nothing special.
None of them are really interesting or entertaining in anyway the only ones that has at least something to them is Levi and Sasha. The only one who actually had proper character development is Jean... who isn't even a main character.

Still, I have to give Tetsuro Araki props for still making me emotionally invested in bunch of bland and boring characters.
First  Prev  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.