First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Living Under a Boulder? Reasons to Watch Attack on Titan.
15075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Hollywood California
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
This show is amazing. Everyone I have shown it to (anime watchers and not) have said it was one of the best series they have ever seen. I really cannot see these pacing issues some people seem to address. I mean have you seen long term shonen before? This is nowhere NEAR as slow as 90% of all shonen (the big 3 are all much slower just stop). People seem to want non-stop action and complain when the characters actually stop to talk. We need character development and dialogue people.
vampko 
41597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 9/20/13

ashurasantoryu wrote:


jolot wrote:

I still don't like it. I'm still watching it thinking it will grow into something more, but no. We are two(?) episodes away from the end, and I still don't feel like I care about any of the things on screen at all. I want to like it though, don't get me wrong. It's just that none of the characters in the show does it for me. I don't like them. I don't care if they die(except potato girl). Eren, Mikasa, Whiny-kid. No, no, no. Just die already. It's also damn slow. The pacing is brutal. I like the world and the setting. The first intro was epic. The music overall is decent. But come on, it's over-hyped. I wanted much more than I've gotten so far. The first couple of episodes were really effective. I almost shat my pants when we first see the that über-sized titan behind Eren atop the wall. God, it was good. But now, I'm bored. Sorry. Glad it's almost over. I'm glad people enjoy it, but there's so many other shows they should see before this one.

Score: 2,5/5


oh so all the scenes of the female titan plus that fight between her and eren was boring?


It was boring. You know why? Because it was a totally ridiculous plot development that just made me shake my head even more than when Eren returned. They're pulling all the shounen tricks. Main Character isn't strong enough, give the main character a huge power up. Main character is too powerful, pull an even more powerful enemy out of nowhere. It's just more and more tactics to continuously delay and stall the plot.


oSolar wrote:

This show is amazing. Everyone I have shown it to (anime watchers and not) have said it was one of the best series they have ever seen. I really cannot see these pacing issues some people seem to address. I mean have you seen long term shonen before? This is nowhere NEAR as slow as 90% of all shonen (the big 3 are all much slower just stop). People seem to want non-stop action and complain when the characters actually stop to talk. We need character development and dialogue people.

Let's see.....one battle took 9 episodes. I agree that other shounen shows surprass that often, but it's still ridiculous. This much time isn't needed for all of what happened. I don't even understand why the animation studio is stalling so much. It baffles me when they're so far behind the manga it isn't even funny. Yet, they continue pulling stalling trick after stalling trick. But, who knows? Maybe the manga pulls those tricks too? I haven't read it, so I wouldn't know.

It's a shounen show in so many ways. the main character is even indestructible. And his attitude is really pathetic in my opinion. Which, I'm sure many will disagree with. That's fine, I was likely never meant to watch this. But, like Sword Art Online, it got hyped up like crazy, and I got curious. Though, unlike Sword Art Online, I'm really not enjoying it.

And, I'm all for talking (80% of what I like the most is slice of life pretty much) but the talks in this show aren't at all interesting. Like the debate about Eren, That was extremely uninteresting. I do admit that a large part of that is that I watched Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, which had debates that were just amazing, and so my bar was probably set a bit too high. But, even so, They're always trying to be way too serious in this show. Are people in real life REALLY like that? I haven't really met all that much people that would always be that serious, even when in such a crisis like that. It makes the show feel fake to me a lot. Though, I do know there are people that are that serious.

Okay, I've totally gone on a tangent and have no clue what I'm saying anymore. So I'll stop there. Just, some people are going to dislike this, and there are valid reasons. That's all I'm really trying to say. Though I have a feeling that I didn't convey that too well...
54 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
GOD-LIKE ANIMATIONS AND GOOD STORY PLOT AND SOME ACTION
19147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/20/13
vampko has completly told like it is....but for those that are not going to read all of that the show potential story is godly...but because of the pasing it sucks......and the only thing that makes people keep watching is the hope of something good that will happen like a good fighting sequence and that that will progress the story all at once that it....my recomendation.....is that if you have patience go ahead and watch it....if not well just wait in till it's done and marathon it =) good luck
7031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/20/13
Those complaining about slow pacing must also only enjoy songs under three minutes long and have the attention-span of a squirrel.
17524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Online
Posted 9/20/13
Sure. Just license it in my region and stop telling me to watch it.
25416 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
Based on my experience, when something (not just anime) gets a lot of hype, it doesn't live up to it. Take Sword Art Online for example. The anime community got punched in the face by huge amounts of advertising. However, I cannot begin to count how many fans finished the series with disappointment. I was one of them.
As such, when an anime starts getting a lot of hype even before the release, I approach it with skepticism. Attack on Titan was no exception. While I am finding Attack on Titan a good anime, I am not finding it to be as great or awesome as everyone says it is. Why?

Excellent question!

Problem 1: When an anime gets a lot of positive attention, your expectations naturally climb. As such, the flaws you find (even the tiniest of flaws) become a much bigger deal.
Problem 2: Blood. Practically every kill results in some sort of blood fountain or make blood rain from the sky. In other words, the amount of blood is way too much. I feel like that the battle scenes are about the blood rather than the battles themselves, which really takes away from the experience.
Problem 3: The Battle of Trost arc. Compared the other arcs, this one was really long. The main contributing factor was the episode that showed Mikasa being adopted by Eren's family. That consumed an episode that could have moved the story forward. Instead, the story came to a sudden halt.
Which brings us to Problem 4: Story Progression. When you are trying to push a large and heavy object a long distance, you move in a sort of stop-and-go motion. I am getting that feeling as Attack on Titan progresses in the story. The story comes to halts too often.

I am not saying Attack on Titan is bad. I just don't think it's great. The only reason I started watching was because of peer pressure, not because of things I heard, or because I was curious. And it definately was not the hype that got me interested. In fact, the hype was the main reason I was not watching Attack on Titan.
I know people will disagree. To those people, I have one thing to say:
BRING IT ON!!!
34358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / New York city
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
I love it when people love a show so much they can't see a clear problem in the show. The Trost arc definitely suffered from horrible pacing. It could of easily been four episodes shorter. Not to mention the characters are pretty weak. With all that said I still really like the show. I just have a problem with people who dismiss anyone who doesn't think Attack on Titan is "Best show evar!"
55610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / MOU ICHI DOU...SH...
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
If you can not find Attack on Titan entertaining, than there is something wrong...with you...just saying>.>

I Luv it!!!
24127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
i really like AoT not because of the hype but because i always give an anime a chance. i will read the synopsis first (and if it's good) then watch it. if the anime can make feel some type of way about it then i would continue to watch it. i mostly watch romance anime and its rare for me to watch a anime that has little to no romance for this long. when i started to watch it i didn't know nothing about AoT so it wasn't like somebody said "go watch this anime because its awesome" i watched because it was a new anime on crunchyroll spring lineup. i really dont understand why people say it's boring.........maybe they want fights all the time and a little dialog

One of my favorite things about AoT is the dialog also the good animation, fights, the emotion the characters have on the show, how you love the bravery of the survey corps for putting their life on the line and of course Levi ....so idk what people want

here's a question What would make AoT good or better?



for me Attack on Titan is 5 stars
11199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / West Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 9/20/13
Reasons to not watch the show found when the show became Titan on Titan.
12321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/20/13

vampko wrote:


Let's see.....one battle took 9 episodes. I agree that other shounen shows surprass that often, but it's still ridiculous. This much time isn't needed for all of what happened. I don't even understand why the animation studio is stalling so much. It baffles me when they're so far behind the manga it isn't even funny. Yet, they continue pulling stalling trick after stalling trick. But, who knows? Maybe the manga pulls those tricks too? I haven't read it, so I wouldn't know.

It's a shounen show in so many ways. the main character is even indestructible. And his attitude is really pathetic in my opinion. Which, I'm sure many will disagree with. That's fine, I was likely never meant to watch this. But, like Sword Art Online, it got hyped up like crazy, and I got curious. Though, unlike Sword Art Online, I'm really not enjoying it.

And, I'm all for talking (80% of what I like the most is slice of life pretty much) but the talks in this show aren't at all interesting. Like the debate about Eren, That was extremely uninteresting. I do admit that a large part of that is that I watched Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, which had debates that were just amazing, and so my bar was probably set a bit too high. But, even so, They're always trying to be way too serious in this show. Are people in real life REALLY like that? I haven't really met all that much people that would always be that serious, even when in such a crisis like that. It makes the show feel fake to me a lot. Though, I do know there are people that are that serious.

Okay, I've totally gone on a tangent and have no clue what I'm saying anymore. So I'll stop there. Just, some people are going to dislike this, and there are valid reasons. That's all I'm really trying to say. Though I have a feeling that I didn't convey that too well...



Really...SAO and Horizon set a high bar for you? See, this is a prime example of difference in opinion. I and many people will go the other way and say that SAO was subpar, and Horizon was shit, despite SOME interesting parts, whereas AOT is much more enjoyable and a great story overall. Your bashing of the show as if what you say is matter of the fact has ZERO credibility from all your posts I've read. But I do understand you don't like it for whatever reason as I don't like Horizon for whatever reason I think it's horrible.

But on to what I really want to reply about is regarding the "stalling trick." There actually is no stalling in this anime. DBZ is #1 in stalling. Naruto fillers and training arcs are stalling. Have you considered that (nearly) everything that happens in AOT is happening for a reason? It's not like the author suddenly decided to kill Eren and then suddenly changed his mind later to revive him. No shit it was planned out or else we wouldn't have a plot. Without Eren, we' be watching a show about regular soldiers getting their asses kicked by titans without ever knowing that there might be some hope to defeat them (eh some people might like this better). Eren is the main character because he is special. He's not special because he's the main character. We're following HIS story.

Eren didn't get revived by plot, nor by his status as the lead character. The plot is driven BECAUSE Eren came back as a Titan. I don't understand how people can't see that. I'm not saying all characters in all anime who die and revive somehow contribute to the plot. No, there are some obviously bad plot armor for certain characters, but at the same time there certainly are characters who nudge the plot in a certain direction by their actions/existence.

I think Trost was 1-2 episodes too long for my taste, but I don't think that automatically disqualifies it from being a great show.

People like this show for what it is. Serious too serious for you? That's one aspect we all love about it. Bad pacing? No that's subjective. Some of us don't mind the pacing at all and thus don't see it as bad (see original DBZ).
12321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/20/13

AnimeAustin wrote:

Reasons to not watch the show found when the show became Titan on Titan.


Oh please. over 480 minutes of AOT so far and less than 90 of that involved Titan on Titan action.

There will be more of it in Season 2, most likely, but not enough to justify calling it that at all. The majority of what you see still involve People vs Titan and talking, and more talking. Oh and flashbacks.

There seems to be a lot of people directly or indirectly bashing the show without knowing much about it nor do they care to understand the show. Judging something in ignorance is misleading to others who might like it.

I think I've seen a grand total of 3 valid opinions on why the show isn't great or worth the hype, and sadly, I agree with most of the points in those posts, but despite that, I still enjoy the show for what it is.
20196 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Apple Valley CA
Offline
Posted 9/20/13 , edited 9/21/13
I've been watching basically all kinds of genre's of animes since I was about 8 and I'm 22 now. I've never seen anything like attack on titan, nothing as well rounded and amazing. This is my favorite anime thus far in anime =). 5/5
38449 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/13
I'd like to address the pacing complaint. Yes, the pacing in this show is all over the place. Sometimes they rush things, other times they spend most of the episode accomplishing very little. The second half of the Battle of Trost was terrible with this. Some of this is due to the manga, some of it is the animation studio. Now here's why I think they're pacing it how they are.
This show has 26 episodes, and the manga currently has 49 chapters. It had about 43 when the show premiered, as it's a monthly release rather than weekly like the big 3. The only good places to end from the manga are at the end of the Battle of Trost, and at the end of the Female Titan arc, because the manga is still only in the second story arc following the Female Titan arc, which flows directly from the arc immediately after the FT. So there's no way they could end it in there. Since anime has this insistence upon squeezing itself into 12 or 13 episode mini-seasons, they chose to stretch out the Trost arc to end it at the midpoint of the show as a sort of mid-season finale. Now they're doing the same thing with the FT arc, trying to stretch it out so episodes end on cliffhangers (the manga doesn't do that as much) and they get to the climax at the very end of the show. When all's said and done, they'll have covered 33 chapters of the manga in 25 episodes (plus a recap). Could it be handled more gracefully? Yes. Does the manga have perfect pacing? Absolutely not. It jumps around, takes a long time to show some things and rushes others, has the same long random flashbacks. But the manga is allowed to go at whatever pace it wants, it doesn't have to time big reveals to certain times of the year. The anime has to hit its high notes at the start and end of each television season, and it also has to try not to exhaust its source material or end at an unsatisfying point. Perhaps if the show was given only 18 or 20 episodes, they could have gotten through the same amount of content with less beating around the bush. But for the most part, I understand why it is paced the way it is.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.