First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
How do people react when you admit how nerdy you are.
37 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / 221B Baker Street...
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
idk I've never really told anybody besides like 4 of my close friends. I feel like people stereotype nerds and geeks so I don't really go around flaunting it. I try to look and act as normal as possible and i really do have like 3 different personas. Honestly, nobody has ever guessed that im a huge nerd and i think I'd like to keep it that way. Idk maybe when I have enough respect I'll come out of the "nerd closet".

But yeah I mean I wear normal clothes (nothing fandom based unless I'm at home) I have typical long brown hair I wear makeup....I look nothing like a stereotypical nerd. This makes it hard when I'm looking for people in the same fandoms to be friends with though. And if I find someone who likes anime or whatever and I start talking about it with them they don't really take me seriously because I look like one of those "popular girls". It's a hard life haha....and I'm such a huge geek that sometimes I need to show it but never really do :P

Also I don't allow anyone who doesn't know about the "real me" into my room because, well, they'd be pretty overwhelmed
23624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Atlanta, Georgia
Offline
Posted 9/22/13 , edited 9/22/13
I go tot he gym 3-4 times a week at my university and never once had a bad experience. Though I usually keep to myself by listening to Pandora. However, I would not be surprised if some of them are in to anime/manga due to the fact that around here being nerdy/hipster is the new fad.

Oh and since almost everyone in my actual classes are planning on going to get their Phds, I have no problem talking about nerdy things with them since they are nerds themselves.
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
Oh, just read what this actually was about. Same thing though, I even talk about anime, games, and etc. while in the gym; we do funny shit like scream DBZ stuff when getting something like the last deadlift or clean in. My football team in high school didn't care either, I would even make Naruto references when we were down on the line and crack the other team up. Boys on my MMA team found it rather amusing too and also picked up some lines; I named one of our arm bars the Rasengan for the lulz.

Specifically, anime + a lifter is weird because in the eyes of the public, anime is the weirdest shit created, evaaaaar. Can't blame them, I thought people and anime itself were weird before I got hooked on to One Piece somehow and started watching other ones. They're not "mean" or "ignorant" like a lot of ranting CR people are saying, it's just something odd to them that they've never encountered before.

and as for games and lifters, pretty much everyone I lift, fight, or have played HS sports with played a LOT (more on XBOX than anything) of games in their free time. There will always be people who see others critically; don't give a damn what they think.

Personally, I think those who play sports/lift and watch anime or do other nerdy things are awesome. ^^
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / 'MERICA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
That's the problem with society, nobody really cares to listen to another person's opinion. So it's hard to explain to them how good the stories are, when they don't want to listen.
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / 'MERICA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
Someone, give this man a cookie.
87 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
Khelgor1, I think you're my male equivalent. Usually when I tell a new friend that i'm into anime and videogames, he/she's either indifferent or pleasantly surprised. I used to have trouble fitting in middle and high school because my XC team members were only into sporty things and band members were really into music. But college changed everything. I've met so many people who appreciate my uniqueness and respect me. I've even been called a unicorn. I guess the bad thing (sorta) of being non-stereotypical and just doing whatever makes you happy is that people aren't with you until further down the road.
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / 'MERICA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

Yuuzuki_Mai wrote:

idk I've never really told anybody besides like 4 of my close friends. I feel like people stereotype nerds and geeks so I don't really go around flaunting it. I try to look and act as normal as possible and i really do have like 3 different personas. Honestly, nobody has ever guessed that im a huge nerd and i think I'd like to keep it that way. Idk maybe when I have enough respect I'll come out of the "nerd closet".

But yeah I mean I wear normal clothes (nothing fandom based unless I'm at home) I have typical long brown hair I wear makeup....I look nothing like a stereotypical nerd. This makes it hard when I'm looking for people in the same fandoms to be friends with though. And if I find someone who likes anime or whatever and I start talking about it with them they don't really take me seriously because I look like one of those "popular girls". It's a hard life haha....and I'm such a huge geek that sometimes I need to show it but never really do :P

Also I don't allow anyone who doesn't know about the "real me" into my room because, well, they'd be pretty overwhelmed


You shouldn't be ashamed of it, it's some of the best story telling, ever. I never hide anything about myself to anyone and I've met some great people because of it. I've also met people who are losers, but I keep their friendship nonetheless because everyone needs a friend.
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / 'MERICA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

pocky-monster wrote:

Khelgor1, I think you're my male equivalent. Usually when I tell a new friend that i'm into anime and videogames, he/she's either indifferent or pleasantly surprised. I used to have trouble fitting in middle and high school because my XC team members were only into sporty things and band members were really into music. But college changed everything. I've met so many people who appreciate my uniqueness and respect me. I've even been called a unicorn. I guess the bad thing (sorta) of being non-stereotypical and just doing whatever makes you happy is that people aren't with you until further down the road.


SOMEONE GIVE THIS FEMALE A COOKIE AS WELL!
87 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
You guys are awesome! Don't change for anyone!!
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / 'MERICA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

spectralMagician wrote:

I can't be friends with people who can't accept my chinese cartoons habit. It's p much all I talk about. Can't stop the speculah.


ANOTHER COOKIE FOR THIS, WOMAN!
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / 'MERICA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
Unless you're offered a large sum of money, then it's okay.
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

Khelgor1 wrote:

Unless you're offered a large sum of money, then it's okay.


If you were offered 9 trillion dollars to switch the Navy, would you?
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / 'MERICA
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

Gyava wrote:


Khelgor1 wrote:

Unless you're offered a large sum of money, then it's okay.


If you were offered 9 trillion dollars to switch the Navy, would you?


HAH! I'm in ADA(Air Defense Artillery).. I'd transfer over for free, man.
87 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 9/22/13
I'm in college for a reason, and that reason is to support my anime/game addiction. Nothing is worth losing your self identity.
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 9/22/13

Khelgor1 wrote:


Gyava wrote:


Khelgor1 wrote:

Unless you're offered a large sum of money, then it's okay.


If you were offered 9 trillion dollars to switch the Navy, would you?


HAH! I'm in ADA(Air Defense Artillery).. I'd transfer over for free, man.


DAMN! ADA's awesome though, would you recommend it to some kid who didn't know what he was going to branch?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.