First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
The Wind Rises and Japan being onesided
Posted 9/24/13 , edited 9/26/13


So the newest Studio Ghibli film and once again, rumored to be Hayao Miyazaki's last is the controversial The Wind Rises.

A historical Japanese movie, the film focuses on the life of the once very real Jiro Horikoshi, and his love of planes, love of flight and love of a sickly girl. Jiro eventually designs and builds planes which eventually become the Japanese fighter planes used in WW2.

Obviously, this raised a lot of complaints in some places, especially China and South Korea.

Personally what annoys me a lot (as it always does) is not the fact that this is a historical movie perhaps not showing the more appeasing side of the war - that I have no problem with, as I love historic movies from all sides regardless of whether the side shown is "good" or "bad".

My (rather big) problem lies in the fact that Japan is so eager to have this movie shown and displayed all over, and is happy with it being released globally - but any film (and this extends far more than films) about their own war crimes etc., are not allowed to be shown in Japan, and to the Japanese people!

Let's see some examples, shall we?



So fine. Let movies like The Wind Rises be made and shown globally. But Japan should also let it be known what they did to others, and let movies showing that be displayed in Japan.

Yes, we all know how much Japan wants people to remember the atom bombs, and the horrible bomb raids by America and others among other things. They even reference these things in anime for god's sake.

But what about their side of things?



When has Japan EVER made a movie about what they did to others?

Every country did terrible things during the war. But only Japan continues to deny what they did on such a huge scale to this day. Japan denying their nine years of War Crimes is like Germany denying The Holocaust. But somehow Japan gets away with it mostly.

Since so many in Japan deny these things, why do they go to such great lengths to hide this information? Since they claim it is not true, they should just let these silly "fabrications" and "lies" be made visible, and not concern themselves over such "nonsense".

There must be something there then, on a massive scale that causes such secrecy and changes to be made concerning the information in Japan time and time again.

Let's not be so onesided Japan.

Dragon Mod
44556 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / OK, USA
Online
Posted 9/24/13
You have to admit, most countries don't make films that portray them in a poor light. And they often aren't happy to have those films aired depending on how horrible the subject is.

For a comparison, take a film like Saving Private Ryan, or even cartoons like Snoopy vs the Red Baron - yes, we were at war in the film, but we were the "good guys" in those fights. On the other hand, we don't seem to make many films - and especially animated films - about things like the Japanese internment camps that the US did, or the various human experimentation they did, or so on. Good luck getting certain films critical of US actions released here; maybe at an independent film festival, but not in a major release.

Even in Germany, they have strict rules about what can be shown (no swastikas are allowed in any video game, ever, for example) - and those are laid out rules, not just pressure on a specific piece of entertainment.

Every Miyazaki film I've ever seen is fairly lighthearted, with some drama and darkness, and a message. I imagine this will be the same. And there are lots of other films covering the horror of that war which can be watched instead, even from within Japan.
1046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 9/24/13 , edited 9/24/13
To be honest in a lot of ways the Japanese in WW2 were worse then the Jerries so I can understand the controversy.
4047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
not sharing my asl
Offline
Posted 9/24/13
And the U.S. isn't biased in their films??????????
Posted 9/24/13 , edited 9/26/13

MakotoKamui wrote:

You have to admit, most countries don't make films that portray them in a poor light. And they often aren't happy to have those films aired depending on how horrible the subject is.

For a comparison, take a film like Saving Private Ryan, or even cartoons like Snoopy vs the Red Baron - yes, we were at war in the film, but we were the "good guys" in those fights. On the other hand, we don't seem to make many films - and especially animated films - about things like the Japanese internment camps that the US did, or the various human experimentation they did, or so on. Good luck getting certain films critical of US actions released here; maybe at an independent film festival, but not in a major release.

Even in Germany, they have strict rules about what can be shown (no swastikas are allowed in any video game, ever, for example) - and those are laid out rules, not just pressure on a specific piece of entertainment.

Every Miyazaki film I've ever seen is fairly lighthearted, with some drama and darkness, and a message. I imagine this will be the same. And there are lots of other films covering the horror of that war which can be watched instead, even from within Japan.


Every side is going to show themselves as "the good side". Japan to this day makes manga/cartoons, films that show how the Japanese suffered, but not what they did ever. Stuff like Grave of the Fireflies, Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms, Barefoot Gen is all fine and dandy, but what about the other side?

Difference is, even if films aren't made about certain things or signs can't be shown - the information is still fully accesible, and known.

In Japan, books, media and information in general about war crimes are hidden, downplayed, or changed.

Internment Camps, swastikas, Nazis - they're taught about in schools. In Japan? The information of what they did to others is hidden, and not taught. This is why so much denial still exists in Japan to this day.


TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:

And the U.S. isn't biased in their films??????????


I'm not from the US, but did you read my post? Stop rushing to the defense of Japan so quickly.

The US does make films in their favor certainly and so do other countries including my own. However, information on how the US and other countries did not fairly treat their enemy at the time (or own people) is known, shown and taught.

Japan does not do these things Japan does not make movies about what they did, teach about what they did, write books or anything.

9513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Online
Posted 9/24/13 , edited 9/24/13
It's because it was they who did such terrible things in the war that they're not going to show it in a film. It would be like the Brits making a serious war film where they are the villains, or even the Americans doing the same. Most people would be put off if their country is the villain, because the majority of humanity wants to be the good guy, at least where reality is concerned. They're viewed as people who fought for their country, would you want to view the American soldiers, many who died trying to keep people safe in a negative light? Most people would be offended so that's why it's never the country who makes it playing a dark and evil role. Many prefer to walk out of the movie thinking 'wow we had some pretty heroic people' as opposed to 'damn our country is shit'. It's the same with games. I don't recall a game where the American soldiers are viewed as evil monsters compared to terrorists or Nazis. They're always the heroes.
12378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 9/24/13
Japan will never say they did anything wrong ever in fact the school teach pearl harbor and hiroshima nothing else happen in the war in the pacific at all. If they are teaching this to their kids you can't aspect them to make an honest film about their war crimes
4047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
not sharing my asl
Offline
Posted 9/24/13

puellapeanut wrote:


TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:

And the U.S. isn't biased in their films??????????


I'm not from the US, but did you read my post? Stop rushing to the defense of Japan so quickly.

The US does make films in their favor certainly and so do other countries including my own. However, information on how the US and other countries did not fairly treat their enemy at the time (or own people) is known, shown and taught.

Japan does not do these things Japan does not make movies about what they did, teach about what they did, write books or anything.




Where did you get this information?
12378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 9/24/13

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

It's because it was they who did such terrible things in the war that they're not going to show it in a film. It would be like the Brits making a serious war film where they are the villains, or even the Americans doing the same. Most people would be put off if their country is the villain, because the majority of humanity wants to be the good guy, at least where reality is concerned. They're viewed as people who fought for their country, would you want to view the American soldiers, many who died trying to keep people safe in a negative light? Most people would be offended so that's why it's never the country who makes it playing a dark and evil role. Many prefer to walk out of the movie thinking 'wow we had some pretty heroic people' as opposed to 'damn our country is shit'.


I disagree countless films have been made in the usa that show us in a bad light <mississippi burning, Little Big Man, Roots just to name a few> Japan spews it's honor crap but can't show the honor to admit they did wrong
9513 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Online
Posted 9/24/13

uncletim wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

It's because it was they who did such terrible things in the war that they're not going to show it in a film. It would be like the Brits making a serious war film where they are the villains, or even the Americans doing the same. Most people would be put off if their country is the villain, because the majority of humanity wants to be the good guy, at least where reality is concerned. They're viewed as people who fought for their country, would you want to view the American soldiers, many who died trying to keep people safe in a negative light? Most people would be offended so that's why it's never the country who makes it playing a dark and evil role. Many prefer to walk out of the movie thinking 'wow we had some pretty heroic people' as opposed to 'damn our country is shit'.


I disagree countless films have been made in the usa that show us in a bad light <mississippi burning, Little Big Man, Roots just to name a few> Japan spews it's honor crap but can't show the honor to admit they did wrong


Oh, well I've never seen those movies so sorry about that. Anyway, as much as I agree that Japan should be open to explaining the evil stuff they did, what's the point of this forum. Isn't it basically saying 'Japan should make a movie that makes them look like evil tossers because they were'?
4047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
not sharing my asl
Offline
Posted 9/24/13

uncletim wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

It's because it was they who did such terrible things in the war that they're not going to show it in a film. It would be like the Brits making a serious war film where they are the villains, or even the Americans doing the same. Most people would be put off if their country is the villain, because the majority of humanity wants to be the good guy, at least where reality is concerned. They're viewed as people who fought for their country, would you want to view the American soldiers, many who died trying to keep people safe in a negative light? Most people would be offended so that's why it's never the country who makes it playing a dark and evil role. Many prefer to walk out of the movie thinking 'wow we had some pretty heroic people' as opposed to 'damn our country is shit'.


I disagree countless films have been made in the usa that show us in a bad light <mississippi burning, Little Big Man, Roots just to name a few> Japan spews it's honor crap but can't show the honor to admit they did wrong


How do you know? Do you know every Japanese movie? The ones that weren't popular? The ones that haven't been translated?
12378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 9/24/13

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


uncletim wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

It's because it was they who did such terrible things in the war that they're not going to show it in a film. It would be like the Brits making a serious war film where they are the villains, or even the Americans doing the same. Most people would be put off if their country is the villain, because the majority of humanity wants to be the good guy, at least where reality is concerned. They're viewed as people who fought for their country, would you want to view the American soldiers, many who died trying to keep people safe in a negative light? Most people would be offended so that's why it's never the country who makes it playing a dark and evil role. Many prefer to walk out of the movie thinking 'wow we had some pretty heroic people' as opposed to 'damn our country is shit'.


I disagree countless films have been made in the usa that show us in a bad light <mississippi burning, Little Big Man, Roots just to name a few> Japan spews it's honor crap but can't show the honor to admit they did wrong


How do you know? Do you know every Japanese movie? The ones that weren't popular? The ones that haven't been translated?


No I haven't but by going with what I have seen I am pretty sure of my answer I can't say the sun will rise in the morning but I have a damm good idea that it will


13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 9/24/13
No other country is even remotely as self-critical as the U.S.

From more modern movies like Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now, to old war movies like Kelly's Heroes, Hollywood has been churning out anti-U.S. war films for decades on end. We even produce movies about what immoral bastards we used to be and how the U.S. was just a big slave empire full of sadistic bastards, and then we give them Academy awards. Is anyone else doing that? No. Are we perfect? Obviously not, or there wouldn't be so much material for criticism.
6134 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/24/13
It's true that the Japanese Right has a skewed view of the Second World War and that they deny the many crimes that their nation committed against the Chinese, Koreans, and others. However, you shouldn't be looping Hayao Miyazaki with this group. Miyazaki is deeply critical of militarism, and has also criticized Abe's effort to amend the constitution to reverse Japan's postwar pacifism. In fact, some critics see a veiled warning in Kaze Tachinu .


"The time shown in the movie resembles the present," said film commentator Ryusuke Hikawa, referring to the 1923 earthquake that devastated Tokyo and the 1930s Depression - parallels to the 2011 earthquake and tsunami and Japan's long-stagnant economy.

"After the quake there was turmoil and Japan began heading towards war. It is possible to feel some similarities ... The economy was bad and psychologically it was a situation of having to do something big, and that's how things got nationalistic."


That's from this article, it's good reading:
http://dawn.com/news/1034759/anime-master-miyazakis-new-film-sounds-a-warning-for-japan
21800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/24/13
I've never seen an American movie about the Japanese imprisonment camps, and I remember no teacher ever even talk about it, and that it took up about one or two paragraphs at the end of a chapter about citizenship in my Civics book. I wouldn't say America is too open about it, either.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.