First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
What do you feel are Attack on Titan's shortcomings?
Posted 10/1/13
A new thread about AOT's shortcomings was posted but we were re-directed to this one so I guess i'll copy and paste my original comments:

""'"""I think the show is very mediocre and I think the only reason people like it is that people are desperate for a good anime. For one thing, Eren is not that great of a main character, his aspiration to "Go beyond the walls" is typical and overused, the only thing that distinguishes him as the main character is his stronger lust for revenge. That's it.

Even if the show has an interesting set up, I'm personally bored of the whole "Humans Vs Things that aren't humans" schtick, Human and Human conflict is far more interesting, like Breaking bad for example.

I think the BIGGEST most GRANDEST problem that Attack on Titan has is the lack of investment in the characters, the show lacks a sense of humor and comedy is one of the strongest adhesives to molding the likability of the characters, I don't know, there's just something about One Piece or Naruto that makes me say that I don't want "So and So' character to die, where as in Attack on Titan, we are immediately in the fray and have little time to care about the massive amount of characters. Maybe this is a personal thing, but the thing is, I couldn't give a damn if Eren, Mikasa, Armin, jean, Levi, or any of these characters die, and I don't know if that's just me or the show's fault, but when you have little interest in how these characters end up, you lose any sense of investment, compare that to Breaking Bad where you root for many characters to stay alive.

Another problem I have is the dialogue and logic, for a long time, many people can't trust Eren because he may become a Titan, and that's perfectly understandable given their situation, however, the constantly drag this out over and over again "Can we trust him? he's a fucking titan, let's kill him" This is not something we want to watch because it's not interesting, it's not interesting because as the audience, we KNOW that Eren isn't a bad person and won't go nuts and kill people. I'm only up to episode 20, but I remember there was some really long talk about how Eren has to trust the guys around him, rather than unlocking his titan to take down the female titan, once again, these kinds of dilemmas do not complement the gritty nature of the show. A show about massive death and destruction should not have themes about "CAN I TRUST MY NAKAMA?" The show also uses to much "Titan kills unnamed soldier" It gets boring and most of the time, we stopped caring after like the 15th gruesome death.

Back to the characters, I explained why Eren is not that interesting, I personally think the worst character is Mikasa, she is the prime definition of a mindless/pretentious shill. People think she's a good character because she's strong and tough, but her lack of emotion and completely irrational loyalty to Eren just makes her look like a mindless shill, it takes away her humanity, she doesn't feel like a real human being with diverse thought because everything she does is either kick ass or protect Eren and people think that's good writing just because a female character is strong. In fact, Attack On Titan even makes fun of this in their little chibi episode series where the joke everything Mikasa talks about is Eren. Armin is alright, I can't say many bad things but I also can't say many good things about him. I kind of like how Jean was perceived as the smug asshole antagonist before turning into a popular main character, but still I can't feel much for Jean. Levi is cool, but he's JUST cool, compare Levi to Gus Fring from Breaking Bad, Both are quiet, calculated, intelligent, soft spoken individuals, but there's something about Gus that makes him seem more 3 dimensional than Levi because Gus displays more of a variety of emotions compared to Levi, making him more human. Once again, I don't have many bad things to say about Levi, but I can't say much good things either, and because of this neutral balance, we have no investment in whether or not the character dies.

Another thing that I really hate about Attack on Titan is.........WE KNOW CERTAIN CHARACTERS ARE NOT GOING TO DIE, the show keeps trying to create drama by having certain characters be on the brink of death, but as the audience we KNOW they aren't going to die, like when Eren was eaten by the Titan, we KNOW he's not gonna die because hes the main character, therefore, we have no drama or tension when he is eaten. So the people who DO die are either nameless individuals or sub-minor characters, which means the drama and tension of death are only threatened to the sub-minor characters. Because we don't care about the random soldiers and we KNOW that the main characters arent going to die, so this small sliver of death only applies to a minority amount of characters. Once again, come back to Breaking Bad, the threat of death rests with all of these characters, anyone could die even if they are a main character and some of them surprisingly do die despite being main characters, which creates more tension and drama because you are invested in who is going die as compared to Attack on Titan.

Attack on Titan depends on certain things like Drama, action, and character. That is what the show invests in, but the plot is too slow, the drama is non-existent, the action is cool, and the characters are still too flat. I still somewhat like Attack on Titan, but I think its pretty overrated, I'm still waiting for that *Genius moment* that Gurren Lagann has trace amounts of and Code Geass had a few. Some of these themes are interesting but don't seem to be expanded on

I liked the scene where Eren is talking to Hanji, because I thought that was one of the very first attempts to have a conversation based off examining characters. Even if it wasn't a great conversation, it was still a start.

I talk about how good the action is in Attack on Titan, but even that isn't perfected. For example, some of the best moments in entertainment is the dramatic taking down the enemy scenes. In Breaking Bad when Walt is trying to use some complex plan to take down his enemies, those scenes are tense like Tuco or Gus, however despite the complexity of certain attacks in attack on titan (Example of when everyone was trying to hide in the dark tower to shoot the titans and then cut the backs of their necks by being lowered down the elevator) once again, the drama is sucked out due to my original problem of not caring who dies and knowing who isn't going to die. We know the titans will lose, which means the only threat is the death of a few characters that we dont care about.

So overall, I don't hate Attack on Titan, I think it's just alright, I like it's serious tone and it's originality in certain areas, I like it's mythology. But a superior show would be Metal Gear Rising, in metal gear Rising, Raiden's dilemma is far more interesting and unique, his enemies are fun because they are humans with conflicting ideology, the action is great, the story is short but very good (Politics, lust for killing, loss of ideology, child soldiers). It's still my favorite story (Video game) but Attack on Titan is alright, just really overrated."""""""""

P.S. I agree with "Willwatch4free" SAO was shit from episode 1, I never even got to the 2nd season, I dropped it at episode 14, so what people find good about SAO is what I think it's worst quality. I mean I don't know how more simplified I can criticize it other than the simple sentence "It is as if they took the Twilight movies, and turned it into an anime" Simple as that, there is NO difference between the structural problems of both Twilight and SAO.
6286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Puerto Montt, Chile
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Why rant about a show that already has a huge fan-base?? Nothing is perfect in life, and of course, an anime won't be the first, at least, not yet.
I'm a huge Evangelion fan, like, ubber-fan, like, crazy Asuka Langley fan, Rei Ayanami and sorts, but even I know it has some flaws, soo, why rant about a show that, obviously has it flaws, yet, 'cause of its massive fandom, there's going to be an equal amount of perspective on the show.
The dude that goes to CR's forum to rant about a show (without even seeing it), or to say that its perfect, has no mistakes in it, and its one of the magnus-opus of our time, that'll be remembered through out the years as a piece of art its just a kid with no vision about anything. Maybe doesn't have the age of a kid, but still, might behave like one posting gripes about it.

I love Attack on Titan, hell, its the show that brought me back to watch anime, but even I know that has it flaws. DUUUUUDE I hate it went the went full retard and talked the entire show, and screamed about everything (I would've loved to seen some comedy just to make a nice change of pace), seriously, I was expecting that Eren might yell to the entire people how bad he wasn't able to take a shit.
But I'm glad this show was made.
Nothin' its perfect in life, and anime won't be the first.
27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 10/1/13 , edited 10/1/13


I think you're in the wrong thread, Mr. Fanboy. Just because something/someone has a "huge" fanbase, doesn't mean non-followers aren't entitled to their opinion.
156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Im not one of the crazy super obsessed what the *beep* did you just say fans... but you should at least try to give it a chance, i'd be fine if you didnt like it but as they say dont judge a book by its cover...
17873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

Lenalee1 wrote:



I think you're in the wrong thread, Mr. Fanboy. Just because something/someone has a "huge" fanbase, doesn't mean non-followers aren't entitled to their opinion.


on the same note you can't bash a show without ever watching it just on it's fanbase I bash Free but I have also watched it and can be honest with my hate of it (real men have nipples) If the op had watched the show and hated that would be one thing but he or she didn't

6286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Puerto Montt, Chile
Offline
Posted 10/1/13


Ok
27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 10/1/13


I wasn't personally talking about OP though. The other guy said "why rant about a show that already has a huge fabase" as if that changes everything. I don't know if it's just the way he phrased it or not, but I felt like it was pointed towards everyone, even us who have seen it.

I do agree though, if you don't like something, state specifically what you didn't like. I don't agree in not being entitled to their own opinion, which is exactly what I felt like the other guy was trying to say.

And , I just looked at some pictures and I never noticed the fact that the people in Free! had forgotten to put on their nipples half of the time. Funny.
6286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Puerto Montt, Chile
Offline
Posted 10/1/13


Now that you say it, It does sound opposite to what I was thinking. This may not be a valid excuse since I'm in an english-only forum by choice, given the fact I'm a native non-english speaker, or in other words, my native language its spanish, but what I thought was totally different to what I wrote. What I tried to say was that, why hate a show that has a huge-fan base, just for the sake of that??

I'm totally sorry for the confusion and I'm the only one to blame. I agree with you on the point that to criticice something one must have experienced it first. I can't talk good or bad about the dudes that are Free! of nipples (not quite the smooth pun D: ) 'cause I've stayed away from it from what other people say, but I don't go around telling everybody that I hate nippleless animes just for the sake of it.

Hope I made myself understand well, if not, I'm totally willing to correct myself.
257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 10/1/13 , edited 10/1/13
The creator of AoT isn't very good at drawing...if you look at the manga, the drawings are even worse than the anime. He even admits drawing isn't his strong point. It's really about the plot and story. If you don't go searching for specific flaws you won't notice any. I admit it isn't perfect, but its so refreshing and exciting in comparison to some of the other anime on here.

I think you're judging a little too fast...there's so many bad anime out there...make fun of those
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

FiroozArtist wrote:

The created of AoT isn't very good at drawing...if you look at the manga, the drawings are even worse. He even admits drawing isn't his strong point. It's really about the plot and story. If you don't go searching for specific flaws you won't notice any. I admit it isn't perfect, but its so refreshing and exciting in comparison to some of the other anime on here.

I think you're judging a little too fast...there's so many bad anime out there...make fun of those



At least hes' honesty about his flaws, I enjoy the story and the art is decent enough.
82916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 10/2/13 , edited 10/2/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


ThePinkRanger wrote:



I am deeply offended you enjoy something I dislike!


Ah... there we go... Pink Ranger mind if I just add ditto? and any need to respond to this thread is done.



The caption under the picture should read: Someone hates an anime I like!

Seems like AOT fans are far more guilty of this, being rabidly defensive about "their" show; I have tried watching it ...but I just can't stand it. It is boring, the angst annoys me to no end! Erin almost never accomplishes anything beyond his oft repeated "I hate them" ad nauseum (cut that out and whole episodes would be lost), Levi is a more interesting character. It doesn't teally bother me that people like it ... , (though I do feel it is WAY over hyped). Whenever I post a negative comment about the show ...after having watched an episode - well, just watch those down votes roll in! There are some shows I like that "everyone" likes and others I love that "everyone" hates; so what.

Anyway, when the hype is over and all the episodes are in I plan on giving the show a second shot ...and if it expires off CR by then ...well, guess I'll survive somehow. For now I'll just browse through the occasional episode, hoping something interesting happens ...eventually.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 10/2/13 , edited 10/2/13

dougeprofile wrote:


The caption under the picture should read: Someone hates an anime I like!

Seems like AOT fans are far more guilty of this, being rabidly defensive about "their" show; I have tried watching it ...but I just can't stand it. It is boring, the angst annoys me to no end! Erin almost never accomplishes anything beyond his oft repeated "I hate them" ad nauseum (cut that out and whole episodes would be lost), Levi is a more interesting character. It doesn't teally bother me that people like it ... , (though I do feel it is WAY over hyped). Whenever I post a negative comment about the show ...after having watched an episode - well, just watch those down votes roll in! There are some shows I like that "everyone" likes and others I love that "everyone" hates; so what.

Anyway, when the hype is over and all the episodes are in I plan on giving the show a second shot ...and if it expires off CR by then ...well, guess I'll survive somehow. For now I'll just browse through the occasional episode, hoping something interesting happens ...eventually.


Well at least you watched it. I've always been live and let live regarding taste. My favourite quote is from Robert Burns.

"It's a good thing we don't all like the same things. Think of what a haggis shortage there would be"

I don't know and don't care about what 'other fans' do. What I hold in contempt is the OPs desire to hate something and incite hate for something he's never sampled himself. That's just ... words cannot do justice to the discredit the OP does to himself with this.

PS.
A little something someone showed me online. It talks about games but I think it's relevant.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10511-How-to-Talk-About-Games-1
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10517-How-to-Talk-About-Games-2
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10529-How-to-Talk-About-Games-3



14271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/2/13 , edited 10/2/13

drakedogma wrote:

""'"""I think the show is very mediocre and I think the only reason people like it is that people are desperate for a good anime.


There is fallacy in that statement. Attack on Titan is mediocre, the reason people like it is because it explores new territory.
Posted 10/2/13 , edited 10/2/13

Chemist wrote:


drakedogma wrote:

""'"""I think the show is very mediocre and I think the only reason people like it is that people are desperate for a good anime.


There is fallacy in that statement. Attack on Titan is mediocre, the reason people like it is because it explores new territory.


The premise and mythology may be new but the plot and character development is still the same. The typical "I WANNA HAVE MORE, I WANNA SEE MORE OF THE WORLD" main character is pretty cliche, nothing new about that
Aztec7 
11017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
I personally really liked it including practically all aspect of it. The only short coming I currently have with it is the cliff hangar ending with no season 2 officially in the works as it wasn't so much of a conclusion to the story as it was "go read the manga to find out what happens next!".
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.