First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Let's talk about the downsides of Technology
23177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / SoCal, HB
Offline
Posted 9/29/13 , edited 9/29/13
1. Xbox one, that's all kinds of downside

-------------------------

2a. Google... I know you're watching us >:(

2b. Big Brother...

3. Artificial Intelligence - It will make us obsolete, on the bright side we could get a real Miku

--------------------

4. Books, aw hell no technology. You ain't takin' my nice warm new book smell, and that nice texture feel of the paper.

14243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mars, Mt. Olympus
Offline
Posted 9/29/13 , edited 9/29/13
Downside of technology?

People using it to supplement their weaknesses instead of using it as an extension of their strengths.
Aka, getting too complacent and/or lazy

ex.
- People using GPS to go to places they already know by heart X_X
- People texting to the person next to them to talk instead of opening their mouth (im not even talking about passing secrets here, just genuine 1 on 1 )
12685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/30/13
People are increasingly reliant on it. Imagine what would happen if all electronic devices in the US ceased to function for just half a day. It'd probably take several months to recover from that.
13550 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/30/13
Text while drive. <-- That's a big one.



Done in illustrator and organized in inDesign. Check me out in Deviantart as whatsome

A public service announcement about texting while driving.

As of now, our mode of communication has become much more broader with the development of cellphones, smartphones, laptops, and ipads. It provided us convenience and accessibility to stay connected with our friends and families but also to the whole world.

However, some people use these gadgets on the road while they're driving.
Yes, they are helpful but they become a big distraction that results accidents by the numbers.

There are many distracting things people do while driving. Listening on the radio, talking to the passengers, eating, and dancing. But the biggest distraction of them all, backed by statistics, is texting. Texting demands visual, cognitive, and manual skills to perform a measly task. The fact is, besides walking or playing drums, humans can’t really multi-task at all. This dissolves the prideful idea the people, or even yet, women can multi-task or multi-task better than men.

Some people, they already know the dangers of texting while driving but they still do it. The reason is texting provides instant self-gratification. Not only because we can communicate fast but, to some people, texting provides an array of tools that talking on the phone can’t do. For example, placing a smiley. Texting provides instant self-gratification that becomes an addiction that becomes a distraction--that leads to life-altering accidents or, even worse, deaths.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more pic I made:

50627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 10/1/13

Sogno- wrote:

my eyes burn but i can't get away


and forgetting to eat anything



pandrasb wrote:

1. Xbox one, that's all kinds of downside

-------------------------

2a. Google... I know you're watching us >:(

2b. Big Brother...

3. Artificial Intelligence - It will make us obsolete, on the bright side we could get a real Miku

--------------------

4. Books, aw hell no technology. You ain't takin' my nice warm new book smell, and that nice texture feel of the paper.



Well, it will kill a lot of jobs, but I don't think it will make all humans obsolete.



wvxz wrote:

The fact that we are actually technology makes me grin. C:


Care to elaborate?


GambitVII wrote:

Downside of technology?

People using it to supplement their weaknesses instead of using it as an extension of their strengths.
Aka, getting too complacent and/or lazy

ex.
- People using GPS to go to places they already know by heart X_X
- People texting to the person next to them to talk instead of opening their mouth (im not even talking about passing secrets here, just genuine 1 on 1 )


Your examples made me laugh because I've known people who done those things.


onibrotonel wrote:

Text while drive. <-- That's a big one.




Thanks for your artworks. That's a great point.

I don't know many articles I've read this year about people dying from Texting; the most ironic one I've read this year was a teenager texting about how it's dangerous to text during driving and ended up crashing and died and that was the last text he's ever sent.
26292 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / EUROPE
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
People having the need to share and document everything on Facebook is so damn annoying in my opinion.

But agree with the others, phone+driving is one of the worst.
4482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 10/1/13 , edited 10/1/13
Skynet.
13043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
"GayAsianBoy", man Sartre would go rambo on you, jks jks :P

I tend to take the attitude that technology (or any object really) has no inherent ups or downs to it, just how people make use of it. So imo all the downs of technology are people misusing it.

Nuclear bombs (or any other WOMD's) are what i hate most about technology, just knowing that if someone really felt like it they could blow up my entire city is kinda a downer
3520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 10/1/13 , edited 10/1/13
I can understand the first two points, and I agree to some extent, but the third one? What?
Are you saying people should just embrace the fact that they're getting wrinkly and saggy? That people should just embrace it even when they can prevent it? What kind of logic is that?

Does that go for longevity as well? Do you think that when the technology comes that will make us able to live several decades longer, if not more, that we shouldn't use it?


As far as technology in general, I believe that while there can be potentially negative uses for most technology, I also believe that little of it is worse than the good we can gain from it.
At least that I can think of...





GambitVII wrote:
- People using GPS to go to places they already know by heart X_X
- People texting to the person next to them to talk instead of opening their mouth (im not even talking about passing secrets here, just genuine 1 on 1 )


Who does that? That doesn't make any sense. It just make things more complicated.

And surely, no one communicates by text if they're within speaking range with each other... Am I wrong?
18519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Well we get so lazy and dependent on that technology so if we in any way lose it we become completely useless.

Or that might just be me?
823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Bottom of the...
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
To me, it seems like we are allowing technology to run our lives, not the other way around.
50627 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 10/1/13

paddlefish wrote:

"GayAsianBoy", man Sartre would go rambo on you, jks jks :P

I tend to take the attitude that technology (or any object really) has no inherent ups or downs to it, just how people make use of it. So imo all the downs of technology are people misusing it.

Nuclear bombs (or any other WOMD's) are what i hate most about technology, just knowing that if someone really felt like it they could blow up my entire city is kinda a downer


That's true for some technologies like phone or TV.

But take cars for example, they cause air and noise pollution regardless if we're using it properly or wrongly...


Syndicaidramon wrote:

I can understand the first two points, and I agree to some extent, but the third one? What?
Are you saying people should just embrace the fact that they're getting wrinkly and saggy? That people should just embrace it even when they can prevent it? What kind of logic is that?

Does that go for longevity as well? Do you think that when the technology comes that will make us able to live several decades longer, if not more, that we shouldn't use it?



As far as technology in general, I believe that while there can be potentially negative uses for most technology, I also believe that little of it is worse than the good we can gain from it.
At least that I can think of...


Yeah that's what I'm saying; trying to fix your physical appearance with unnatural means is sending the wrong message as a society to newer generations. The rate of people developing body image dysmorphia will increase because people can't accept that they're getting saggy and wrinkly.
But having said that, it's not like I can change anything, I'm only one person. And honestly, the modelling and film industry is already doing most of the damage.


Well, when it comes to longevity, the beauty/fake issue doesn't come into play. I suppose longevity is not about being fake, there's no negative response to lengthening someone's life through technology. I mean, getting a vaccine in newborns is not going to make someone feel bad about themselves.

I suppose when it comes to longevity through technology, a separate issue will arise, i.e. the issue of overpopulation due to people not dying.

This might make me sound cruel, but people are meant to die, life is meant to die, we're not meant to stay here for longer than we're supposed to... you have to make space for newer lifeforms.




GambitVII wrote:
- People using GPS to go to places they already know by heart X_X
- People texting to the person next to them to talk instead of opening their mouth (im not even talking about passing secrets here, just genuine 1 on 1 )


Who does that? That doesn't make any sense. It just make things more complicated.

And surely, no one communicates by text if they're within speaking range with each other... Am I wrong?


There are people who do those things, for reasons I can't fathom.


Mathiazdotorg wrote:

Well we get so lazy and dependent on that technology so if we in any way lose it we become completely useless.

Or that might just be me?



Well, technology is like alcohol. Of course after a few weeks, everyone will get withdrawal symptoms.

But I think humans are very adaptive; we will be able to live without technology if situations call for it.
22991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Smartphones and facebook really. Granted I was forced to get involved with both myself, I use them very casually.

There is nothing more annoying than socialising with people who are glued to their phones. It's so incredibly rude.

Even on nights out at gigs and festivals I notice friends who have literally just been face down in their phone for the entire hour or so that the main band has been playing and missed everything only to say afterwards "they were great"... I really don't need a 5 minute status update from everybody I know.
74628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 10/1/13


Yes Skynet..

13475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Me iPhone screen cracked. Nooooooooooo

Need to fix it by myself now again.. screw Apple and their "Ooooh.. yeah, we don't fix screens, we just swap your phone for $250"

and so much Facebook hate on CR, ohmagad. I ruv Facebook and all my fwiends on there <3
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.