First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Let's talk about the downsides of Technology
13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
People who are in love with their phones can kiss my ass. I've had so many students get in my face, ask a question, then immediately whip out their stupid phone and start fiddling with it. I used to get very upset and slap people's phones out of their hands, but I've calmed down in recent years. Now I just walk away and refuse to allow them to waste my time again.

On a personal level, the worst of the rude-phone-addicts, which plague my life, are women in their 20s. You ask them to put it away over dinner, and they'll make a pretense of being polite, but then they sit there and stare at you like you're a jerk. Despicable behavior.
12981 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

AshRandom wrote:

People who are in love with their phones can kiss my ass. I've had so many students get in my face, ask a question, then immediately whip out their stupid phone and start fiddling with it. I used to get very upset and slap people's phones out of their hands, but I've calmed down in recent years. Now I just walk away and refuse to allow them to waste my time again.

On a personal level, the worst of the rude-phone-addicts, which plague my life, are women in their 20s. You ask them to put it away over dinner, and they'll make a pretense of being polite, but then they sit there and stare at you like you're a jerk. Despicable behavior.


What lessons were you implementing, teach'?
What grade level were you teaching, if I may ask kindly?
22073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Loss of privacy is probably the worst aspect of modern technology, though everything is relative. It all depends on who you ask, I guess.
13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

onibrotonel wrote:


AshRandom wrote:

People who are in love with their phones can kiss my ass. I've had so many students get in my face, ask a question, then immediately whip out their stupid phone and start fiddling with it. I used to get very upset and slap people's phones out of their hands, but I've calmed down in recent years. Now I just walk away and refuse to allow them to waste my time again.

On a personal level, the worst of the rude-phone-addicts, which plague my life, are women in their 20s. You ask them to put it away over dinner, and they'll make a pretense of being polite, but then they sit there and stare at you like you're a jerk. Despicable behavior.


What lessons were you implementing, teach'?
What grade level were you teaching, if I may ask kindly?


Implementation of the better half of the hard sciences (chemistry, biology).

Grade level? The drunk grades, university students. And I wish I could say it was just the undergraduates who've acted like that, but they aren't alone.
7900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
So the downside of technology is that it eliminates privacy, lets you look younger, and lets people be stupid.

.... Don't I feel silly.
How bout them cars that drive themselves, eh? Wave of the future. Get all the bad drivers off the road, reduce/eliminate traffic accidents, decrease transit time.
We do tech because tech does it better.
Medicine especially.
49401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Offline
Posted 10/2/13

Nobodyofimportance wrote:

So the downside of technology is that it eliminates privacy, lets you look younger, and lets people be stupid.

.... Don't I feel silly.
How bout them cars that drive themselves, eh? Wave of the future. Get all the bad drivers off the road, reduce/eliminate traffic accidents, decrease transit time.
We do tech because tech does it better.
Medicine especially.


I'm not sure if this line was serious or sarcasm... there is probably going to be an equal risk of self-driving cars hitting a pedestrian; heat sensors could always fail unless they have a backup or whatever.


As for medicine, there's definitely a downside to medicine; depends on which medicine we're talking about here. Obviously the normal ones that don't need prescriptions are OK, but things like antidepressant can actually cause suicidal thoughts, even though it's supposed to treat that one thing in the first place.

Antibiotics--the more we use antibiotics the stronger bacteria become... they're known as antibiotic resistant bacteria...


The reason I didn't list medicine in my original post was because if you don't take medicine you're going to end up dying anyway, might as well take it and deal with the cons.

16459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Atlanta, GA
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
I'm pretty sure it's still rude to play with your phone during a conversation. I always make it a point to disregard my phone while eating with someone or something.
34498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
Technology overall has reduced the suffering of humanity, but increased the suffering of the rest of the living world. Think of factory farming and the abuses against animals.

Eventually, hopefully we get synthetic meat and dairy products and there'll be no more need for this.
11323 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / fairy tail
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
dnt like when internet is slow..
7900 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
Woah, cars that drive themselves will have to have a lower chance of hitting a pedestrian before they're on the market.
A self-driving car with a ton of sensors, gps info, and whatever else they put in, would have a faster reaction time than a person. Car to Car collisions would decrease. Your car can't get drunk. Your car won't be impaired by texting. Whether they make some centrally controlled traffic network, or leave every car as an autonomous entity, I don't see how a person could do better than a properly vetted machine.

and medicine. Ah, medicine.
Immortality pills
----
WARNING Side effects may include:Temporary loss of hearing, nausea, sweaty palms, internal hemorrhaging, temporary loss of vision, and a feeling of falling.

Medicine is a good example of a field with extreme positives( Living longer, happier) and negatives(Pain, suffering, and death) related to their technology, so it was good to bring up.
13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 10/2/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:


Nobodyofimportance wrote:

So the downside of technology is that it eliminates privacy, lets you look younger, and lets people be stupid.

.... Don't I feel silly.
How bout them cars that drive themselves, eh? Wave of the future. Get all the bad drivers off the road, reduce/eliminate traffic accidents, decrease transit time.
We do tech because tech does it better.
Medicine especially.


I'm not sure if this line was serious or sarcasm... there is probably going to be an equal risk of self-driving cars hitting a pedestrian; heat sensors could always fail unless they have a backup or whatever.


Heat sensors would be nice, but when it comes to hitting pedestrians, even current camera-only automated driving systems are far more reliable than a human. User error has long been proven to be far worse than anything automated, from the assembly line to vehicular traffic, people get tired, they get sloppy and it invariably leads to injury. Reaction time alone accounts for a vast number of collisions and driver-less cars would substantially reduce that issue as they react in a thousandth of a second in situations where humans take 2-3 seconds before even realizing they need to apply the brakes (for instance). Then there's the issue with drunk driving, the number of accidents from distraction, and the number of accidents from driver fatigue. Going by the actuary tables, the U.S. alone sees over fifty thousand traffic fatalities a year due specifically to the above listed issues, along with anywhere from a quarter to a third of a million major injuries ranging from brain damage, partial body burns and loss of limb. Top it off with the ability to sit in the back-seat and the vastly safer positioning that allows -- and presto, millions of lives saved every decade.

But aside from the personal injuries issue, it would remedy the issue of traffic jams. That alone would improve people's lives tremendously.
21690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
The only weak point of technology is it's not advanced enough yet. I want the Matrix damn it. I'm sick of boring old real life.
5168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
Playing with your phone while having a conversation with someone is terrible, I don't understand how two people can be sat in a Cafe together chatting and playing on their phones at the same time, It just screams out that you are bored of talking.

I rarely use my phone unless I'm in serious need of contacting someone, or I have to reply to someone, and never when someone is talking to me (unless it is an important phone call).

531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 10/2/13
Robot Taking over jobs

self check out, speed cam, self served machine, Toll money service when crossing bridge

increase in unemployment . companies don't want to deal with your BS so they will replace you with machine to avoid further BS/lawsuit


radioactive micro waves that travels through your bodies gives you cancer, so in a way they are killing us.
car pollution killing us...

we may look longer but we are also dying faster.

we arn't long for a world of machine or near matrix
2243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Indiana
Offline
Posted 10/3/13
Well its killing conversation which sucks. If I'm comfortable with who I'm talking to I love conversing for hours on end and sharing ideas back in forth. While that can be done over the internet its just not the same. :/ That's my least favorite thing about modern technology
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.