First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Have you ever wished that an animé character were real?
60151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/13 , edited 9/29/13

Broshmosh wrote:


uncletim wrote:


those sneaky french



Also found in Italian, Spanish and Portugese, I believe. It's a very common addition in Western languages. We use the sound often in English, we just drop the acute to make it harder for people to remember :P



In Spanish, the accent is not used to change the pronunciation of the letter, but rather the word. That is to say, emphasis is moved to the syllable where the accent resides. The letter is still pronounced the same.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/13 , edited 9/29/13

Broshmosh wrote:



How do you pronounce it? A-knee-me? If so you're not listening closely enough to the way the e sound is used throughout the Japanese language. The only way to get the rising a inflection on the e sound in written Western languages is to use the acute form é. It's the same sound as in the French "été".
Anime isn't an English word though. Anime is spelled the way it is using romanji, which uses the same latin based alphabet as English however is instead used as an interface between the Japanese language and western phonetics and has its own specific writing rules. E when used by the japanese as a romanji always has the same type of sound that the e in anime does, and it is not a writing shortcut to drop an accent mark, it is the correct way to write it. I don't believe an é is an actual character ever used in romanji. It might have to do with the fact that japanese words don't have inherently stressed syllables in words, to the best of my knowledge, unlike the English language, rather having stress be contextual. Basically animé might be a correct phonetic guess at how it is spelled in English, however generally speaking English speakers use anime as a loan word from the Japanese romanji where the correct spelling is in fact anime.

EDIT: An example of what I mean using loan words. The word "hombre" is sometimes used in the English language as a loan word from the Spanish language. Its correct spelling when used in English is still hombre even though it is pronounced as ombré.

Also just noticed your example of a-knee-me being the pronunciation without the acute diacritic on the e to make it an é might be incorrect, as I believe it would instead be pronounced aneem or anim using English rules(depending on what is correct sound for the I) as I'm pretty sure that in English an accent added to that e in that manner is to denote that the e is in fact pronounced act all and not silent, rather than it actually changing the way it is pronounced.
31009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Tórshavn
Offline
Posted 9/29/13 , edited 9/29/13
Haha that song xD!!

And of course.. not because of hentai though.. -_-!
22995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30
Offline
Posted 9/29/13 , edited 9/29/13
Nope I've never wished an anime character was real, and never will...

Also don't argue your point for spelling it 'animé' when it is just flat out incorrect. English is a versatile language also, we don't use foreign accents for our similar sounding vowel sounds and romaji does not use it either, only to emphasise a double vowel occasionally such as Tokyo being Tōkyō (literally Tookyoo).

Karaté, karaoké, saké, masamuné.

Haha I'll stop now, couldn't resist. Stop making up your own rules, and stop wishing your fantasies were real, ya' weirdo!
Posted 9/29/13

HellYEAAAHH wrote:

Be careful my friends...
This road of thought be a dangerous one...


24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 9/29/13

DirEnGay wrote:
and romaji does not use it either, only to emphasise a double vowel occasionally such as Tokyo being Tōkyō (literally Tookyoo).
I'm sure you realize what I'm about to say DirEnGay since I understood what you are saying and this isn't aimed at you but rather at the general population for clarification.

When DirEnGay is talking about double vowels in Japanese he is literally referring to repeating the sound twice(more like blurring and extending it in reality but its easier to think of it as repeating it for those used to syllables), not changing the fundamental sound like we would for it in English. When says Tokyo as correctly written with the hatted o's(can't be assed to look up the alt codes right now) is pronounced Tookyoo, he means that it is pronounced like Tohohkyohoh, with the successive oh's being more of an extension of one sound rather than distinct(just imagine stretching the sound for two syllables), rather than Tukyu which is how I know most would read Tookyoo. Most of the time when people write the hatted o in English if they don't feel like using the alt code they tend to instead use "ou" in place of the character. That "ou" sound is the same one that we are used to seeing in the words shounen and shoujo for instance. Note that in shoujo it uses both a short and long o sound.

On a side note since we are talking about double vowels I would like to bring up some trivia. We always hear that a haiku is composed of verses composed on 7,5,7 syllables in the west. We say that because it is easy for us to understand because English is a stress timed language and thus it is easier for us to understand. However if you have ever been told you are wrong for having that understanding its because Japanese is a mora timed language, by that I mean that they have single syllables that are spoken stretched within the same amount of speaking time that all other syllables would normally take one.

The double vowels are such as the hatted o are one of these sounds, also the sound for n tends to count as its own mora. Hence Haiku is actually 7, 5, 7 morae rather than syllables, and in a haiku a word like Tokyo in English we would improperly count it as 3 syllables for a verse of haiku when it should actually count as 5 morae. Japanese has standard mora lengths for its phonetics so it doesn't really apply to their language, but to use an English analogy you could theoretically make a correct Haiku(basic form wise, haiku has other compositional rules) out of three technically monosyllabic words by sounding like an overtly dramatic teenage girl if you got the timing correct such as:

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis
laaaaaaaaaame

although I'm pretty sure that would be considered as cheating, as well as being very vague on mora length since its non-standard.
9752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 9/29/13
Naturally, I have wished that anime characters were real; however, if it's a hentai girl that comes to life, my reaction would be comparable to:

I'd be the one splashing the coffee.

"Animé" isn't the official English romanization and I pronounce the word correctly, so I will use "anime."
3731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / イブキド
Offline
Posted 9/29/13
Yes, too many to name though
Posted 9/29/13
When you've swept through the sickest of real porn you take a sweep through the sickest of hentai. That's when you're done for. No more pew pew's for life. True story.
27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 9/29/13
Not really.
16832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / fairy tail
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
yes i ha..also when i was younger and would walk to school or walk back home from school i would always hope that a pokemon would magically appear..like i would walk through these small woods and hoped for a Bulbasour to pop out of some bushes ..aaahhh my imagination was wild back then
5960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Seattle
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
well, um.. Not Hentai ones, but I recall wishing Soul Eater was real...
So I could go to DWMA, and I would be a... a... CHAINSAW!!
10034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Utah, USA
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
To be honest no I haven't mainly cuz all the characters I like are good in their worlds and idk if this world would be so kind though I do wish to enter into many of their worlds or even into the worlds of my own books mainly because this one is far too cold and dark I wouldn't wish it upon anyone in the anime world that I love
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
If that happens, you can't tell their ethnicities. One, the eye color. Two, their hair color.
They're more associated with westeners, appearance-wise.

Second, if anime characters were real, their skin are way too flawless. They might as well flock the beauty pageants, modeling auditions, escorts.
Posted 10/1/13

aeb0717 wrote:

Naturally, I have wished that anime characters were real; however, if it's a hentai girl that comes to life, my reaction would be comparable to:

I'd be the one splashing the coffee.

"Animé" isn't the official English romanization and I pronounce the word correctly, so I will use "anime."


What anime is that from?

And if I could bring Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke to life my life would be complete!
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.