First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Name some anime series with questionable titles
18983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
List but only five shows.

Examples:
1. XXXholic
2. Attack on Titan(only someone would think of Greek Mythology).
3. Angel Beats
4. Bleach
5. Kiddy Grade


Bonus Question: what makes these titles so questionable to you?
Thanks a bunches.
32232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
I get the feeling that Log Horizon is going to be a fun watch, but the title just makes me think of taking an epic dump.
Posted 10/1/13
Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai!

I'd say if that wasn't questionable you're probably a train wreck.
13533 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 10/1/13
the japanese name of Attack on Titan being simply "Advancing TItans" is rather cool and sums up the show very well. Fuck, they even use the same syllables.
I like the name tho.

I Originally thought this way towards Sword Art Online. I was just...really? Is this another one of those Music/Artwork things that took off? I don't care about those. When I learned that it was more of a novel that got popular, I gave it a real shot...just. Sword Art Online? If it was more about Swords and Art I'd understand but...really?
It's very easy to say however, it rolls of the tongue so I like it. It's also not a logic fallacy like Attack on Titan.

Mysterious Girlfriend X is one of the biggest offenders to me. What does that name tell you about the show? It sounds like generic bullshit to me. Right up there with every generic harem/magic girlfriend title.

Fuckin Queens Blade had more originality in it's name than all of those listed! It fit the show and sounds cool. Fuck the show itself, from the title alone this one is one of the more interesting.

Attack on Titan sounds rather cool tho...Titans man, anybody who knows the slightest Greek mythology squeals at the word.
11378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
The world only god knows I don't get that title I mean more then just god knows of that world
SavioD 
9055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Brazil
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
The Hentai prince and the stony cat.
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

qualeshia3 wrote:

Examples:
1. XXXholic


xxxHolic is actually very appropriate as a title. Holic is associated with addiction, and the xxx part is just an (insert here) stylized blank. The show is basically a morality play on different types of addictions.

27657 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Nobody mentioned "Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai" yet?
18983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

Felstalker wrote:

the japanese name of Attack on Titan being simply "Advancing TItans" is rather cool and sums up the show very well. Fuck, they even use the same syllables.
I like the name tho.

I Originally thought this way towards Sword Art Online. I was just...really? Is this another one of those Music/Artwork things that took off? I don't care about those. When I learned that it was more of a novel that got popular, I gave it a real shot...just. Sword Art Online? If it was more about Swords and Art I'd understand but...really?
It's very easy to say however, it rolls of the tongue so I like it. It's also not a logic fallacy like Attack on Titan.

Mysterious Girlfriend X is one of the biggest offenders to me. What does that name tell you about the show? It sounds like generic bullshit to me. Right up there with every generic harem/magic girlfriend title.

Fuckin Queens Blade had more originality in it's name than all of those listed! It fit the show and sounds cool. Fuck the show itself, from the title alone this one is one of the more interesting.

Attack on Titan sounds rather cool tho...Titans man, anybody who knows the slightest Greek mythology squeals at the word.


In all honesty, I thought Attack on Titan was related to Greek Mythology. I still wonder if there are any hints linking the two together or not.
Love the show regardless though.
18983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

4Corvus wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Examples:
1. XXXholic


xxxHolic is actually very appropriate as a title. Holic is associated with addiction, and the xxx part is just an (insert here) stylized blank. The show is basically a morality play on different types of addictions.



In the past I would have thought it were a hentai series. Thanks for explaining it.
60949 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/1/13 , edited 10/1/13
Oreimo (full title) - need I say more
13533 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 10/1/13
Titans being a major thing in Greek Mythology, I think it has something to do with the rest of the worlds view on titans.

I mean, does Japan even HAVE titans in their mythology? Does anything in any other culture come as close to Greek's massive armies of colossal world building titans? Titans so strong their children, the gods, had to lock them up.

I mean, Greek Gods are essentially OP Humans. They represent our strengths and weaknesses. Zeus is both the loving, all powerful father. He's here to teach you right from wrong and all that Jazz like a good dad.
He's also banging more woman than every other god combined, and his wife hates him for it.

But the Titans? I don't know how they invented that shit, but it's rather prominent. I don't know of other cultures who invented such giant god like creatures that are older and more powerful than the gods, and are in fact the parents of the gods.



aaaaand Attack on Titan is set in Europe as far as we know, which is like, the future of Greek and Rome in a way. I'm not too sure on how that shit plays out in all, my knowledge going to the punic war and then stopping due to lack of interest.

You know what has a weird title? Eureka 7. Could anybody explain that to me? Whats with the 7? I know who Eureka is...and well.....7? I mean if it was Eureka 2 or 3 I might get it.
14854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Dark Continent
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Durarara
Samurai Champlloo
Danganronpa
Mushibugyo

Cool shows but I still don't know what their titles mean.
mipegg 
19396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/1/13

Kurodenki wrote:

Durarara
Samurai Champlloo
Danganronpa
Mushibugyo

Cool shows but I still don't know what their titles mean.


durarara is the phonetic sound japanese say a motorbike makes (similar to 'vroom' for us or using 'boom' to describe the sound a blast makes)

Mushibugyo is just 2 words stuck together mushi meaning bug, insect or generally small critter (im pretty sure) and bugyo who is someone who holds a particular office, like a governor or magistrate etc. So insect magistrate is the given translation.

Samurai champloo, only time I've ever herd someone use champloo is when I had a dish called a champloo which was a kinda mush of tofu, meat and vegetables. Tasty but maybe not looking so appetising
10188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/1/13
Elfen Lied

I was expecting a fanservice filled anime (that tries to take itself seriously) about elves, boy was I wrong.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.