First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Bill Maher- The Real Welfare Queens
32077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 10/3/13
http://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/real-time-with-bill-maher-blog/2013/10/3/the-real-welfare-queens.html

Very education read for me. Numbers seem to suggest that the "real welfare queens" are not who most people think they are.
Posted 10/4/13
i TOTALLY agree with that article/blog. it's like, hello? people like to look down on poor people, but it's the rich people who always steal from the poor... it's never the other way around...


and the same thing with asylum seekers, people like to sit in their comfortable chair in their first world home and say, "awww... they should get paperworks and come here legally like everyone else"... um hello? when you're running away from being bombed in your home... you don't have time to think about paperworks.

i just can't understand how some people's brain work sometimes. they live there in their comfortable home in a first world country... criticizing people from disadvantaged backgrounds or countries like their opinion is so legal and righteous.
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/4/13

GayAsianBoy wrote:

i TOTALLY agree with that article/blog. it's like, hello? people like to look down on poor people, but it's the rich people who always steal from the poor... it's never the other way around...


and the same thing with asylum seekers, people like to sit in their comfortable chair in their first world home and say, "awww... they should get paperworks and come here legally like everyone else"... um hello? when you're running away from being bombed in your home... you don't have time to think about paperworks.

i just can't understand how some people's brain work sometimes. they live there in their comfortable home in a first world country... criticizing people from disadvantaged backgrounds or countries like their opinion is so legal and righteous.


So I have to ask what have you done to help the diadvantaged? Have you opened your home to them? Btw the usa has by far the most liberal
immigration laws in the world.
Posted 10/4/13 , edited 10/4/13

uncletim wrote:
So I have to ask what have you done to help the diadvantaged? Have you opened your home to them? Btw the usa has by far the most liberal
immigration laws in the world.



Well, I WON'T be too specific, otherwise people will think i'm a braggart or showoff.


1. I work FOR people, in other words, my jobs are what it's called a "Public Servant" here in Australia. I help improve people's life through my jobs.

2. I volunteered at a lot of places involving refugees. I teach English to Cambodian women who speak little English. I tutor high school students who are from Sudan or the Middle East and arrived in Sydney in less than 5 years.

3. I donate monthly to the World Food Programme (inspired by Christina Aguilera) AND UNICEF. I won't say how much, since it's not very modest to do so.



Edit: It's funny you brought the USA up, if I can recall correctly, the USA is not the top country when it comes to accepting refugees. It was another country, but I can't remember which one.
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/4/13
I wasn't trying to pick a fight I just hate arm chair liberals like Bill Maher who just point out problems and offer no ideas on how to fix them. I love asking my liberal friends when was they worked in a soup kitchen or took in a homeless family they tend to change the subject fast
Posted 10/4/13 , edited 10/4/13

uncletim wrote:

I wasn't trying to pick a fight I just hate arm chair liberals like Bill Maher who just point out problems and offer no ideas on how to fix them. I love asking my liberal friends when was they worked in a soup kitchen or took in a homeless family they tend to change the subject fast


Please don't use personal, unverifiable anecdotes in an argument (everyone else included). It just makes the user of them far less objective and believable. The old "But I know a guy..." thing makes everyone's head hurt. Your statement doesn't even make sense in any case- you call one person an "arm chair'er" for pointing out problems with no solution, then just go and do the same yourself to your "liberal friends". I guess you're all fine with arm chair conservatives then?

Anyway, I'm totally down with the article. Religious hypocrisy gets worse every day.

2424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/13
Heh. Using the Bible as a defense for idiocy. I've seen that ten thousand times before. +1.
64617 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Warner Robins, GA...
Offline
Posted 10/4/13
How do you steal from the poor when they never had anything in the first place? Never could figure that one out.
Posted 10/4/13 , edited 10/4/13

Texas84 wrote:

How do you steal from the poor when they never had anything in the first place? Never could figure that one out.


seriously?

you don't think poor people have ANYTHING?

how about their labour? In China, people work for $1 an hour, WHO do you think exploit the labour of poor people in China?

In most third world countries, rich people exploit the poor people's land and use it for their own benefits.



Edit: Comment like this one really gets on my nerves, so I'll just stop reading this thread cuz i know i'll get banned if i read anymore comments like these.
32077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 10/4/13

Texas84 wrote:

How do you steal from the poor when they never had anything in the first place? Never could figure that one out.


I think if you actually read the article, it explains pretty clearly. The issue was rich connected politicians voting to take away food stamps to needy families while lining their own pockets by millions with these farm "subsidies."
Posted 10/4/13

uncletim wrote:

I wasn't trying to pick a fight I just hate arm chair liberals like Bill Maher who just point out problems and offer no ideas on how to fix them. I love asking my liberal friends when was they worked in a soup kitchen or took in a homeless family they tend to change the subject fast


Have you ever seen Bill Maher's show before? Because alot of the things he complains about, he also provides ideas on how to fix them. But most of what the show talks about is clarifying issues and discussing them which usually leads to more opinionative comments than actual comments on detailed change, because it's not Maher's place to give his insight on the specifics of change. He's not a global warming expert, but he believes that people SHOULD believe in scientists and listen to them so we can combat global warming, but providing the actual details on the problem itself is not really his job, that's the job of the scientist, and it's Maher's job to tell people that they are insane for doubting scientists and choosing religion to provide them with their scientific knowledge rather than actual science.

Also, I don't really seem to understand how someone's charitable history has anything to do with debunking their ideology. I believe that murder is wrong, but I'm not gonna go to Syria to save the rebels from getting killed from Assad, does that mean that I think Murder is OK?
32077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 10/4/13

merahk wrote:


uncletim wrote:

I wasn't trying to pick a fight I just hate arm chair liberals like Bill Maher who just point out problems and offer no ideas on how to fix them. I love asking my liberal friends when was they worked in a soup kitchen or took in a homeless family they tend to change the subject fast


Please don't use personal, unverifiable anecdotes in an argument (everyone else included). It just makes the user of them far less objective and believable. The old "But I know a guy..." thing makes everyone's head hurt. Your statement doesn't even make sense in any case- you call one person an "arm chair'er" for pointing out problems with no solution, then just go and do the same yourself to your "liberal friends". I guess you're all fine with arm chair conservatives then?

Anyway, I'm totally down with the article. Religious hypocrisy gets worse every day.



But... but... it's so much easier to just make things up. LOL
Posted 10/4/13 , edited 10/4/13
I still have yet to see any concrete proof that President Obama has made it ANY easier for people to obtain foodstamps or welfare as compared to President Bush. I think the problem is, Fox news keeps making up these lies and that stops the nation from progressing or having any real discussions on what to do with the government or the economy. Instead of fixing Obamacare, people just want to scrap it, instead of thinking of ways to fight global warming, we just deny it, instead of accepting evolution, we deny it.

At the same time, I can understand why conservatives are more willing to defend corporations for getting money because they "deserved" it more than welfare recipients, and to be honest that stance makes sense because you are rewarding success over failure, but the reason why people are poor is because alot of the money has flooded into one central area starting a long time ago with the Reagan tax cuts, a healthy economy is dependent on the flow of money, when all that money is concentrated into one area (1%) the economy suffers and we start paying our underlings less, we need to spend more, but these billionaires are holding onto their money rather than spending it which is why we need higher taxes, because even if you say its immoral, better to give money to an institution that WILL spend the money rather than just hold on to it, that's how you get a healthy economy, by spending more. And the government's existence is to stimulate the economy, where as that obligation does not exist for an individual rich person. In japan, they don't believe in tips because the wages they are paid are actually livable wages, as compared to America where inflation has now made the minimum wage lower than it's original intent. So that's exactly why people have to use foodstamps, because minimum wage is too low.

So yeah Bill Maher has a point. The economy is an artificial concept, you can't really use morality to defend where you stand on taxes, the fact is, the government is better at investing and stimulation than the free market because there is a guarantee that they will spend it, especially in a time of economic crisis. Look to Europe and most countries there are doing the opposite of Obama and they have much higher unemployment rates than us.
17879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/4/13

bensonc120 wrote:


merahk wrote:


uncletim wrote:

I wasn't trying to pick a fight I just hate arm chair liberals like Bill Maher who just point out problems and offer no ideas on how to fix them. I love asking my liberal friends when was they worked in a soup kitchen or took in a homeless family they tend to change the subject fast


Please don't use personal, unverifiable anecdotes in an argument (everyone else included). It just makes the user of them far less objective and believable. The old "But I know a guy..." thing makes everyone's head hurt. Your statement doesn't even make sense in any case- you call one person an "arm chair'er" for pointing out problems with no solution, then just go and do the same yourself to your "liberal friends". I guess you're all fine with arm chair conservatives then?

Anyway, I'm totally down with the article. Religious hypocrisy gets worse every day.



But... but... it's so much easier to just make things up. LOL


and it is so easy to mock someone whos point of view is diffrent form yours. How classy and how liberal of you just like Bill Mayer who mocks anyone with a diffrent point of view
Posted 10/4/13 , edited 10/4/13
The weak are always made to suffer for the misdeeds of the powerful.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.