First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Age and Cosplay
19124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/4/13
So I just recently started cosplaying and as I make a list of characters that I'd like to cosplay I realize that there could be one "problem", age

As I am currently 20 years old I find myself looking for characters that are around my age range because I feel it would look better and it would give people one less thing to complain about, I'm not very good at making my costumes (my first cosplay was Gray Fullbuster from Fairy Tail so I was wearing normal cloths).

But now that I've gotten into the series Hitman Reborn I find that I really want to cosplay as Tsuna in his awakened form, but I'm a 6' 4" twenty year old guy and Tsuna is 14 and probably about 5' 4" so I wonder if I'm "too old" to cosplay that characters.

So what does everyone else think, is age a strong determining factor in what a person "should" cosplay?
Dragon Mod
44703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / OK, USA
Offline
Posted 10/4/13
I might joke around at times about me being a mid-30's guy cosplaying teenagers, but honestly I've never thought of it as a problem. I always look at the character first as one I'm interested in, not one whose art or age I fit.

So long as you have fun, that's the most important part.
16531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / united states
Offline
Posted 10/4/13 , edited 10/4/13
I agree with Makoto. Have fun with it. Sex, age, race, none of that matters. What matters is doing it cause u enjoy it.
116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/4/13
Listen to Makoto and hina - they know what they are talking about!

It absolutely does not matter! Cosplay who you want and just enjoy yourself.
19124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/6/13
I like all the support here
I honestly don't know why the thought of cosplaying a much younger character is bothering me, especially since if any person were to ask me my opinion on them doing the same thing my response would be to tell them to go for it
Queen Moderator
32819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / X / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 10/7/13

SquallFire wrote:

I like all the support here
I honestly don't know why the thought of cosplaying a much younger character is bothering me, especially since if any person were to ask me my opinion on them doing the same thing my response would be to tell them to go for it


I'm a 25 year old who just cosplayed a 13 year old character. -shrug-
As they've all already stated, it's about having fun =)
9678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / in your room watc...
Offline
Posted 10/10/13
im 23 and ive been cosplaying for almost 10 years
45770 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 10/10/13
i started at 21
55118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 11/4/13
Don't worry, just cosplay whatever character you want. Age and body type (weight, height, etc) and race are not important. If any douche has a problem with you not being "accurate" because of your own body's natural attributes, then they should pull their head out of their ass. I tell people like that to screw off, because it's about fun. You be yourself man and I'm sure you'll have fun doing the character you love!
22 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 11/5/13
It's enjoyable seeing some skinny kid cos playing as someone big as White Beard to be honest.

Gives me a good laugh.
20190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/13 , edited 11/6/13
As others have said before me, it doesn't matter as long as you're having fun with it. If it's a character you like then go for it, age be darned...heck, I'm 31 and I cosplay as teenage characters. That's not stopping me :p
23300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Bucks county, PA
Offline
Posted 11/21/13
I'm 44. I've never been to a CON and never thought to cosplay, but for some reason, this year I got the inclination to go through with it. I don't know anyone who is into it in my area, and I feel kinda uncomfortable doing this alone as a newbie. I don't know what to do. Maybe I should go as myself to a CON and see what it is all about before I dive in head first? That being said, I don't think anyone should fault you for selecting a costume for a character that you like and want to play.
15415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 11/22/13

dmguaragno wrote:

I'm 44. I've never been to a CON and never thought to cosplay, but for some reason, this year I got the inclination to go through with it. I don't know anyone who is into it in my area, and I feel kinda uncomfortable doing this alone as a newbie. I don't know what to do. Maybe I should go as myself to a CON and see what it is all about before I dive in head first? That being said, I don't think anyone should fault you for selecting a costume for a character that you like and want to play.


Going as yourself to your fist con, especially if you're alone, is what I'll suggest. Unless you're this amazing people magnet, and I'm sure you know that type of person.

As I was taught, your first Con is generally a festival of wonder. You don't know how you got there but, ooooh Shiney. If you even have money, it's going to all go to some crazy absurd purpose.

Then, for your second con, you'll feel experienced, and you'll realize these things called Panels exist, and their are like, a gagillion things to do other than gawk at all the amazing cosplayers

By your 3rd Con, you're probably cosplaying.
23300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Bucks county, PA
Offline
Posted 11/23/13

Felstalker wrote:


dmguaragno wrote:

I'm 44. I've never been to a CON and never thought to cosplay, but for some reason, this year I got the inclination to go through with it. I don't know anyone who is into it in my area, and I feel kinda uncomfortable doing this alone as a newbie. I don't know what to do. Maybe I should go as myself to a CON and see what it is all about before I dive in head first? That being said, I don't think anyone should fault you for selecting a costume for a character that you like and want to play.


Going as yourself to your fist con, especially if you're alone, is what I'll suggest. Unless you're this amazing people magnet, and I'm sure you know that type of person.

As I was taught, your first Con is generally a festival of wonder. You don't know how you got there but, ooooh Shiney. If you even have money, it's going to all go to some crazy absurd purpose.

Then, for your second con, you'll feel experienced, and you'll realize these things called Panels exist, and their are like, a gagillion things to do other than gawk at all the amazing cosplayers

By your 3rd Con, you're probably cosplaying.


I looked at the schedule, and didn't see much in the Philladelphia area, but sort of all around the area in northern New Jersey, New York city, and Washington DC. Three places I don't like to go because my carry permit does not reciprocate with those states. It would be nice to find a kindred spirit locally that I could tag along with, but (shrug) I don't know anyone who's into it in my area. I used to do SCA events such as Pensic, but I haven't done that in years. Still have the armor and garb though! I suspect that real weapons such as broad swords and long bows are not permitted at these events, however.

Thanks for responding!
8875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 11/23/13
I've never cosplayed before but would love to start. I'm 24 and look like I'm 12.
The way I look at it is if you really like it, who cares. The costume is the important part, your actual appearance, doesn't.
I think if you like a character, go for it.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.