First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Fate/Franchise
15251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 10/5/13
Quick Question! How do you feel about the Fate/Franchise?



Picture to give some slightly more reference to what this is for those who don't refer to Fate by a franchise name, which really? Fate series just doesn't sound right, I like to call it Fate/Franchise.

Anyhow, general question here. What do you think of Fate as a franchise? What do you feel about the individual series? Fate's just growing bigger and bigger, the forums are rather slow today(with everybody focus on the new fall season), so I wanted to ask what you guys think.

For those who don't really know, Fate has a large number of series.

The original Fate/stay Night, both a Studio DEEN adaptation anime, and the original best selling Visual Novel.
The remake movie Fate/Unlimited Bladeworks, which.....I'm not a fan of.
Fate/Zero, the famed prequel with which the Anime you SHOULD have already seen.
Fate/Illya Prisma, with it's long-donkey title and 10 episodes Alternate Universe Magical girl theme, it's pretty damn good.

And then you have the games, Fate/extra, Fate/Colosseum...others.......that sequel visual novel....

TO FOCUS, here be my thoughts.
Fate/stay Night has the most guilty pleasure of any anime I own. I always think of our main character Shiro as a detestable character, but every time I rewatch it I can't help but point out, at least he HAS a character.

Fate/Zero's well liked, and you don't have high schoolers! It's a crazy battle royal, WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE? Sure our heroes were rather....iffy in the end, but they ain't detestable. Watching Kotomine throughout the series was immensely fun, and actually bumped up Fate/stay Night's rating up for me, since Kotomine is the same character, he just gets older and thats it.

Fate/Illya was really fun, I could always use more Illya and god do I love Berserker. He's Hercules, and he's designed like a crazy beast. I always just shout "Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!" when he's on screen.

Fate/extra is a PSP-game version of Rock/paper/scissors played out with Fate characters....lolz? It's cool

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK?
19735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 10/5/13 , edited 10/5/13
Fate is one of my favorite franchises. Just the idea of historical and mythological figures being summoned to do battle is great. The way it deconstructs the idea of being a hero gives it a great amount of depth. Almost every major character is very complex. I only have two real problems with it. One is that it's an extremely technical series, which makes it hard for some people to get into it. The other is that the visual novel from which it came Fate/Stay Night, has yet to have a good adaptation, though the people at ufotable who worked on Fate/Zero are hard at work fixing that. Just the animation for their opening to the re-release of the visual novel gives me hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_a4mBL3epM
78764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 10/5/13
pretty good stuff I have to say, although Shiro is one of the worst protagonists ever.

Kiritsugo(? did i get this right?) is also pretty bad.
37227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Shin Nihon Pro-Wres
Offline
Posted 10/5/13 , edited 10/5/13
Edit: Completely edit actually

First interaction was the PSP game Fate/Unlimited Codes. Played the shit out of that game.

Then I watched Fate/Stay Night and thought Shirou was freaking hilarious on how hateable he was. Also first encounters with the waifu Saber

Watched the movie UBW and loved it. I needed more and more so I watched play throughs and read up on exactly what happens in all three routes of the visual novel. This includes the sequel /Hollow Ataraxia which I hate and think it should have never been maid

Heard about Fate/Zero coming out,anticipated the hell out of it and it was all worth it. Amazing from beginning to end. Kiri is one of my favorite protagonists ever

Bought Fate/Extra and played the SHIT out of it. Invested countless hours into all three servants but still managed to miss some easter eggs and stuff. Is STILL waiting for Akysus to bring over CCC

Penitently waiting for Ufotable to re animate /Stay Night and PRAYING Kadokawa brings the HD remake of the Visual Novel n the vita to the states

And thats my story. Lolz but all in all its my favorite anime series
33628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 10/5/13
I got into this franchise through Fate / Extra, and that remains my favorite iteration of anything Fate, but I, like a number of others, give due credit to Fate / Zero for being the best animation of the franchise to date.
141384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Online
Posted 10/5/13
I'm a fan of the fate/franchise tbh having seen FSN, Fate Zero, the Unlimited movie, Fate/Kaleid and been reading some other related series. I'm not familiar with the games though since I haven't played the VN yet but I do like most of their works, especially Fate/Zero.

Oh and there is going to be another adaptation of FSN coming soon in the future which is likely based on...
12378 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/5/13
Best line in anime

Because people die when they are killed
15251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 10/5/13

AnimeKami wrote:

pretty good stuff I have to say, although Shiro is one of the worst protagonists ever.

Kiritsugo(? did i get this right?) is also pretty bad.




At least Shirou had a damn personality. It was a stupid one, but thats just by my take. I've met a number of the Visual Novel fans who adore his character. Which is why I don't insult him too much. He reminds me of the really stupid good guy friend. You know, the kinda guy who invented the "Good is dumb" trope? That guy.

Kitsurugi ain't have no personality, which was half the point and half the failure.


rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

I got into this franchise through Fate / Extra, and that remains my favorite iteration of anything Fate, but I, like a number of others, give due credit to Fate / Zero for being the best animation of the franchise to date.


You know I actually got the Fate/Extra imported version, because Red Saber Figma is best Saber Figma.


CRAP! I forgot to mention Carnival Phantasm!

Carnival Phantasm be WACK dawg, WACK.


Sakura Matou is my Heroine of choice, and out of the 3 choices she's ranked 5th Popular(It makes sense in this case)
IF she wants to be popular, they HAVE to make a proper adaptation of the Fate/Heavens Feel route.
I've not even SEEN the Feels route, I have no idea beyond the Wikipedia summary.

But I'll tell you this, if they want to get some fan-love, they REALLY gotta nail the initial episodes. Don't throw us head-straight into the Holy Grail wars, you don't have to anymore, it'll be a sequel to Fate/Zero! Assume we're not stupid and just give us some pro-relationship building. I want to SEE how Shirou and Sakura meet. I want to WATCH them hang out, in ways that don't hinder the plot! I want it to be fuckin-natural. Give Sakura some ample screen time, show the dark stuff, the light stuff, the ordinary stuff. Make us feel for them characters.

Because unlike the other routes, you can't feel for the "relationship" focus route if you don't make the audience feel, YOU GOTTA MAK'EM MAN, GO ALL DRAMA ON THIS.

Thems be more of my thoughts.....
6109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Miami
Offline
Posted 10/5/13 , edited 10/5/13
It be great if they rebooted FSN anime, cause the original FSN anime gave Shiro no justice.
Also...
19735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Francisco Bay...
Offline
Posted 10/5/13

uncletim wrote:

Best line in anime

Because people die when they are killed


I think you mean: "Do you have enough swords, King of Heroes?"

22796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/5/13

uncletim wrote:

Best line in anime

Because people die when they are killed

Oh, please give that a rest, will ya. That stupid line is wrong. His saying have been cut off.

13460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Under fire
Offline
Posted 10/5/13

twintiger12 wrote:


uncletim wrote:

Best line in anime

Because people die when they are killed

Oh, please give that a rest, will ya. That stupid line is wrong. His saying have been cut off.



It's actually not a mis-translation, he literally says "People die when they are killed" even in 日本語 context. It's not an accident.

The real reason he says it is because he's reversing a Japanese idiom that is similar to "He won't die even if you kill him", to describe someone that is incredibly strong or difficult to wipe out or defeat, so it's figurative. Shiro simply spoke it as irony and truth, but obviously it was taken in its literal form.

It's not just a meme for english speakers, there is a lot of comedy manga where a character (completely un-related to the fate series) will mention the line out of jest, and then Shiro will pop up out of nowhere to quickly correct and explain to them what he really meant.

So yeah, you give it a rest, because you're wrong.


Felstalker wrote:

Quick Question! How do you feel about the Fate/Franchise?


I think the concept of the series is pretty original and quite enthralling. Summoning legendary heroes to do battle, I mean...it's full proof.

Fate/Stay Night was pretty average. It gained some traction for being different and fun but the release of Fate Zero changed things. Fate Zero was such an incredibly powerful show with something to offer for almost anyone except comedy fans (though one could argue Rider/Waver were a relief occasionally). It had amazing action, feels, and this all around dark feel to it. Not to mention its budget was so big the whole thing looks friggin' magnificent.

While Fate Zero is something that I would almost call perfect...at the end of the day it has to lead in to what I would refer to as its mentally incapacitated cousin, FSN. This sort of creates a few weaknesses superficially in order to make sure they remain connected canonically, for example I thought the ending could have benefited greatly by being separated from the FSN canon.

With Fate Zero circulating around, it greatly reduces the watch-ability of FSN, especially if you watch FZ first and attempt to go for that chronological approach despite FZ coming after FSN. FSN makes the mistake of not knowing what it wants the mood to be, and this is where FZ succeeded in FSN's footsteps. Saber is practically romancible, you have the wacky comedy-anime style teacher, and watching Shiro make decisions or do anything at all is an exercise in patience. He literally doesn't let Saber fight for the first quarter of the show because "I can't let a girl fight in my place". This leads to him scraping the face of death multiple times before somebody shows up to save his ass. This doesn't just happen once, it happens in multiple instances before he finally changes his approach. He ends up going toe to toe with Rider 2-3 times without being killed, and I thought that was absurd because it really hindered the image of the servants' power in FSN. In FZ you really feel that these are legendary heroes. Do not get in there way. To fight them as a human would be insta-suicide.

FSN also has the deficiency of picking a bunch of high schoolers for the grail, which doesn't make much sense in contrast to FZ where a handful of talented individuals were chosen (of varying ages, all non-high school). It's just a footprint of how anime has progressed over the years, and what was the common archetype of then. When FSN released it wasn't taking itself as seriously as FZ did.

To say the least, the music in FZ is also maddeningly epic. It's the same composer who worked on Sword Art Online, and he even almost blatantly transcribed one of the tunes over in to Sword Art Online (Listen to "Rule the Battlefield" on YouTube). The music truly lends to the epic feel of the show.

In any case, here's a video that really well compacts my thoughts, it's also hilarious to watch and this guy does great reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8I7a2RRrTE
22796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/5/13

I don't think I am totally wrong here. I don't have much knowledge about Japanese, and I am still learning; still have a long way to go. But my little knowledge still let me know that some Japanese phases are short and if they are translated literally, they make no sense at all. I don't know about your Japanese level; maybe you can read and speak Japanese fluently, so you know the phrase better than me, and deduce its meaning by yourself. I also don't know much a bout the manga you are referring; whether they are published manga or doujinshi; whether they are drawn by the Japanese or non-Japanese speakers; if they are drawn by the Japanese, I don't know if they make fun of the phrase without the influences of non-Japanese meme.

I am certain that he doesn't stop at "People die when they are killed". I am saying based on what I understand from the sub and dub version. In all versions, the saying is basically "People die when they are kill, and that the way it should be". As mentioned, I don't know about you deduction of the phrase's meaning. Shiro says that when Saber refuse to accept Avalon back because he will lost the healing ability. The whole saying means (from my understanding) that in the event that he gets a fatal wound and die, it should be his fate. His saying not only needs to be translated carefully, but also can't be alone without the context.

I feel that it is a mis-translation. Many people don't know much about that phrase and use it to show how stupid Shiro is. It should be give a rest.
31977 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 10/5/13


I don't think it's a mis-translation, but I don't know Japanese, so what do I know... all I know is that it was the same in the VN and the anime, but people are taking the one line of dialogue completely out of context. what I got from the scene was when Saber asked Shirou if it was okay for her to take Avalon from him, he replied acknowledging that people are SUPPOSED to die when they're killed, not be resurrected like what happened to Shirou several times prior in the story.
6539 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/5/13
Well from what I've seen (Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyokai 1-7), I do like the Fate Series, but there's something holding me back from fully enjoying it. It has good characters, animation, story, etc., but it has this aura of pretentiousness about it that keeps me from really getting into it. Does anyone have a similar feeling?
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.