First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Thin Privilege
56905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 10/13/13
I don't like to hop on the soapbox too often, but I'll do it for a bit here.


Broshmosh wrote:
"Privilege" is a word being thrown around now so often that soon it's going to lose meaning altogether.


This. What that article did was remind me of everything I dislike about Tumblr and its so-called "social justice" movement. When they adopt a word, I immediately stop using it because of how it gets stretched and distorted to suit whatever agenda it is they think they are pushing.

News flash for Internet activists of this stripe: Sitting on your ass in front of a computer and bitching at people for how they choose to talk and type is not going to result in the change you want. I suspect, in fact, that your movement will achieve the opposite effect.

Trying to forcibly change other people only achieves negative results. Focus on yourselves instead. The best leaders lead by example, not by talking down to everyone around them. "Be the change you want to see," the saying goes.

And before anybody tells me to check my own privilege, I say all of this as a multiracial, omnisexual, working-class, comfortably overweight sort of bloke.




I wish the whole thing would just piss off.


Well put, mate.
mipegg 
25474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/13/13 , edited 10/13/13
In the UK I have a dislike for overweight people for the simple reason that we all pay for healthcare and being overweight is simply medically bad for you, it causes all sorts of complications and increases the risks of various illnesses and problems which ultimately we all have to pay for. There are some with legitimate reasons for it (thyroid problems and untreated eating disorders) but the majority are just too lazy to eat properly or exercise to match diet.

The exact same arguments apply to smoking, in this country cigarettes and tobacco are heavily taxed because of the undisputable evidence of the massively increased risk of health problems. Even so people have the attitude of if a smoker gets lung cancer they, in some way, brought it on themselves by making a conscious choice to smoke. The reason being that even though tobacco is addicitve there are pleanty of free ways to get help for that, thus by not getting help you are bringing it on yourself.
313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

theYchromosome wrote:


Nmason wrote:

Instead of being mad about other people being thin, how about you stop being fat and make a good change in your life?

Sorry but if you're fat, you're definitely not healthy or fit, even if you order a diet coke with that triple baconator. Genetics aren't an excuse either, and the same goes for thyroid problems. Thyroid problems have been shown to account for 5-10 lbs of body fat and that's it. Being fat or thin is just about calories in vs. calories out.
You can literally lose weight and still get fast food as long as you watch your caloric intake by using something like Myfitnesspal. Of course going to the gym and doing some squats, deadlifts, and a little cardio will help too.

It all comes down to if you want it or not. You can either clime the mountain or complain that someone else is.


So, to be clear, your claim is that even lineman in the US Nation Football League aren't fit? Might I ask what you think the word "fit" means in the context that you're using it? Because no matter how I look at it, I can't see how these professional athletes don't qualify as "fit."

Also if, as you say, being fat is just a matter of calories in vs. calories out, then surely it has nothing to do with being healthy. Might I ask, again, how you're defining "healthy?" Because as far as I understand it, calories are present in all foods, and assuming you're eating a "proper" diet, it seems as though a question of amount would be irrelevant. Calories don't block arteries, calories don't cause diabetes, and calories don't cause heart disease. As far as I know, calories alone don't cause much as far as health is concerned. And if being fat is only a matter of calories, as you've claimed, then clearly being fat doesn't cause health problems.

It might be fair to say that eating 14 double cheeseburgers a day causes fatness, and that eating 14 double cheeseburgers a day causes, say, high cholesterol which causes a stroke. But that doesn't mean that being fat causes strokes. I'm really interested to see how you came to your conclusions. What's your basis for claiming that health is at all dependent on calories, or that having deposits of fat means your body isn't working correctly?


You do know how fat is created, right? When we intake more calories than we use, the extra energy is stored in the body as fat. Those athletes obviously aren't "fat." They weigh more because of their muscle and just being large in general, not because they have too much excess body fat. Caloric intake does have a lot to do with health problems, as does cholesterol. Most foods that are high in calories are also high in cholesterol, which is what causes blood clots. That doesn't mean that body fat doesn't cause serious health problems, though. It's not a coincidence that people who are overweight are more likely to have higher blood pressure, which is what causes heart disease and strokes.
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 10/13/13 , edited 10/13/13

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

I don't like to hop on the soapbox too often, but I'll do it for a bit here.


Broshmosh wrote:
"Privilege" is a word being thrown around now so often that soon it's going to lose meaning altogether.


This. What that article did was remind me of everything I dislike about Tumblr and its so-called "social justice" movement. When they adopt a word, I immediately stop using it because of how it gets stretched and distorted to suit whatever agenda it is they think they are pushing.

News flash for Internet activists of this stripe: Sitting on your ass in front of a computer and bitching at people for how they choose to talk and type is not going to result in the change you want. I suspect, in fact, that your movement will achieve the opposite effect.

Trying to forcibly change other people only achieves negative results. Focus on yourselves instead. The best leaders lead by example, not by talking down to everyone around them. "Be the change you want to see," the saying goes.

And before anybody tells me to check my own privilege, I say all of this as a multiracial, omnisexual, working-class, comfortably overweight sort of bloke.




I wish the whole thing would just piss off.


Well put, mate.


But are you tall? -- short people are outside the circle of privilege too.
10011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 10/13/13
Ah, TITP, the worst blog in existence.

Overweight people, who are perfectly content with being so and have no desire to lose weight or whatever, they're fine. Same with underweight people who don't want to put on weight. If you're happy as you are, continue as you are. Not my problem.

However, when you start to blame others for things, things that are byproducts of your choice to live an unhealthy lifestyle, then I take up issues with that. Privilege, as they define it, is unearned i.e. being thin due to "genetics" and such, as you have done nothing to earn it, which is why they moan about it. But my (and your) being thin was earned. Earned in the same way that they earned their fat. I watch my calories, I exercise, I don't over indulge myself. All choices I could have decided not to take. Therefore, it is something I have earned.

This is of course humouring the fact that this so called privilege is real, which it isn't. Take a look at the world; everyone has disadvantages and advantages. Some more than others, but the majority are because of things that can't be helped (racism, sexism etc). Weight is easily controlled with discipline and research.

I'm probably a little biased here, as I've only dealt with it from the perspective seen on a fitness forum, but if they were truly comfortable with being fat and living as they do, they wouldn't be going out of their way to justify it and talk down on others who don't conform to their way of living.
Bavalt 
22029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/13/13
Meh. I'm a fat guy myself, and I used to get bullied over it (though my geekiness was probably also a big factor there), but it's not like it really changed who I was, and it's not like thin people are immune to being treated badly. As has been said already, people who are prone to harassing others will latch onto whatever they can. There are way more people out there that are just spiteful or unfriendly than there are people who are hateful towards one particular group of people. Being fat will get you picked on, but so will being skinny, or any number of other things. Those people don't care what it is they target, they just care that there's something to target.

Once you know that that's the case, it's pretty easy to just stop worrying about it. When kids used to bully me in school, my usual response was a big ol' condescending smirk, which invariably got them off my case. People who want to feel superior over something are rebuffed when you pretend to toss the same contempt back at them. I don't consider it something to get too worked up over, in any case, but admittedly, I've never experienced any of the really harsh stuff that I sometimes hear about, and I'm usually treated just as politely as anyone else I know, so my view here, as with most things, is pretty optimistic.
56905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
But are you tall? -- short people are outside the circle of privilege too.


Good catch, haha. I forgot that one. I'm 5'2", which makes me the tallest person in my family, but still short. One of my heroes, growing up, was a medal-winning Olympic bodybuilder from Turkey who the commentators dubbed "Little Hercules"; he was well below 5'.

That, and the Hobbit movies show that us short, beardy types do pretty well for ourselves.

3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

dankuuwut wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:

we need to encourage people to lose weigh.
And part of that encouragement can be more inconveniences.

Creating more inconveniences is an extremely capitalistic approach. You need to realize that it's psychological, and that making it worse won't make it better (Pardon, it's not just you who needs to realize this; everyone needs to realize this).



I didn't mean to say we should create more invonceniences. That would just be mean.
I just meant that we shouldn't necessarily bend over backwards to make it easy to be fat.
And I know it's psychological. Did you not read my entire post?
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 10/13/13

Syndicaidramon wrote:


dankuuwut wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:

we need to encourage people to lose weigh.
And part of that encouragement can be more inconveniences.

Creating more inconveniences is an extremely capitalistic approach. You need to realize that it's psychological, and that making it worse won't make it better (Pardon, it's not just you who needs to realize this; everyone needs to realize this).



I didn't mean to say we should create more invonceniences. That would just be mean.
I just meant that we shouldn't necessarily bend over backwards to make it easy to be fat.
And I know it's psychological. Did you not read my entire post?


You worded it poorly I think. Perhaps what you mean to say. is that being kind and gentle doesn't require one to be an enabler.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

ciciAzn wrote:

Tbh, I really used to think people who are not thin to be lazy. And that they shouldn't complain when people call them fat because I thought it's their own fault that they turn out that way. While I still think they shouldn't be offended to be called fat (since it's a fact) I dislike people who put them down just because of that.
I admit I can be pretty mean to them since most chubbypeople I've met are short tempered and harsh (I once got my head slammed onto the wall by one of them but I think I deserved it).

Asides from my personal rant I don't really know what I think about it but to feel sorry..


Hah! Wrong! Really lazy people like me are thin because we are too lazy to cook and eat! I should probably get motivated to go grab an apple, though. Hunger pains are kicking in.

I think that there is nothing wrong with living healthy and being fit, but that doesn't mean you have to be a jerk about it.
17524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 10/13/13
Just ignore it, done.
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Online
Posted 10/13/13
I know when it comes to buying clothes I feel like a second class citizen. and it's not because of my body fat.

My feet don't fall between sizes 6 and 10 so none of the major chains sells cute shoes for me. There's no point in even going to the mall.
I have to find some out of the way place off the beaten track and ... if I'm lucky they might have red as well as black and white.

Likewise, again, not because of body fat, my shoulders and ribcage dictate that I am (depending on manufacturer) a 2xl or a 3xl. again... sorry lady the plus sizes are at the back of the shop. We have a wide selection of mu mus in your choice of black or black. ( I exagerrate but I have no were near the selection and colour choices of the 'normal' sized ladies)

this is one way that big people (and I imagine other people who do not fit the narrow paradigm of 'fashionable' body shape) definitely feel put up on.

And there is at least one brand name that deliberate discriminates. The owner of Ambercombie and Fitch was quote as saying only skinny people belonged in his store.

31017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

ciciAzn wrote:

Tbh, I really used to think people who are not thin to be lazy. And that they shouldn't complain when people call them fat because I thought it's their own fault that they turn out that way. While I still think they shouldn't be offended to be called fat (since it's a fact) I dislike people who put them down just because of that.
I admit I can be pretty mean to them since most chubbypeople I've met are short tempered and harsh (I once got my head slammed onto the wall by one of them but I think I deserved it).

Asides from my personal rant I don't really know what I think about it but to feel sorry..


Wait a second. That could just as easily be reworded as "Most chubby people I've met are short tempered and harsh since I admit I can be pretty mean to them". If you walk up to someone and call them "tubby" without being prompted or anything, why are you surprised when they react poorly? Now getting your head slammed into the wall is a different story, but apparently you think you deserved that, so maybe your comment/action warranted it?

As far as that Tumblr blog goes, I think it's really stupid. Yes, overweight people get made fun of sometimes, and that's awful (and that whole "it's a matter of choice" argument crap. Yes, that may be true, but a girl that has short hair is usually a matter of choice too etc. Doesn't mean anyone should be made fun of for it). But this whole "thin privilege" thing is stupid and overblown.

Just let everyone be. There are skinny folk, fat folk, tall folk, short folk. That's that.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 10/13/13 , edited 10/13/13

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:


dankuuwut wrote:


Syndicaidramon wrote:

we need to encourage people to lose weigh.
And part of that encouragement can be more inconveniences.

Creating more inconveniences is an extremely capitalistic approach. You need to realize that it's psychological, and that making it worse won't make it better (Pardon, it's not just you who needs to realize this; everyone needs to realize this).



I didn't mean to say we should create more invonceniences. That would just be mean.
I just meant that we shouldn't necessarily bend over backwards to make it easy to be fat.
And I know it's psychological. Did you not read my entire post?


You worded it poorly I think. Perhaps what you mean to say. is that being kind and gentle doesn't require one to be an enabler.


Exactly what I meant.
Thank you.
7245 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

aeb0717 wrote:

The tumbler pisses me off.

I've been overweight for years, yet it's my younger sister who receives alot of hassle, despite being tiny and slender. She get's called anorexic, twig, and "chicken legs" by her peers. They even targeted her teeth in middle and highschool, calling her names like "beaver." Her enjoyment of books/manga/anime was naturally brought to light. Thin privilege, my ass. People, especially middle and highschoolers, will zoom in on what they think a person is most sensitive about and maliciously attack. As for me? My former bullys targeted my temper, my yankee accent, my family's former vehicles, my bookworm/manga/anime habits, and my pallor. I don't recall my weight ever being the focus, except when I visited my former best friend's house for the first time. Her mother grabbed my waist and made fun of me for being what she calls "tiny."

Also, blaming "thin privilege" and attacking those who are slender is just as shallow and discriminatory as the bullying being complained about.


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.