First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Thin Privilege
35872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 10/13/13 , edited 10/13/13
Average weight person sits in a chair, chair breaks 'Omg sir, are you ok? Chair must've had a bad leg, I'm sooo sorry'.

Fat person sits in a chair, chair breaks, 'Omg you fatty-fat-fat, you broke my chair!'

Also, gotta love the mouthbreathers that actually think informing a fat person that they are fat is a totally normal thing to do xD
They know they are fat, and thanks to your mouth, they know you're an idiot
44366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 10/13/13 , edited 10/13/13

Nmason
You can claim you have 7% body fat and some nice tight abs at 600 lbs if you feel like it, after all it's the internet, but it won't make me believe you. As far as I'm concerned you're just lying to yourself, or you have no idea what 27% - 30% body fat looks like. I won't say you can't be strong, after all you've basically been dirty bulking your entire life, of course you would have put on some muscle, that's how it works.
And yes you're an unhealthy fat guy, your poor heart has to pump blood to all of that useless meat hanging off you, not to mention the excess strain on your joints. You should see x-rays of fat people, it can be eye opening to see how small their framework is and what their body is made to handle, in comparison to what it actually has to keep running.
I'm not trying to make personal attacks, but being pro-fat is the same as being pro-cigarettes. They're both unhealthy and can be easily stopped with a little willpower, but for some reason our society is full of fat-enablers.

Edit:
Ok so I just saw this picture on your profile http://www.crunchyroll.com/showphoto?id=23626299 and you're nowhere near 27 - 30%. I'm not sure if you're using a scale with BIA (Bioelectrical impedance) or what, to measure your body fat, but you should buy some fat calipers and try again. I'm not trying to be rude, you're just definitely off the mark with that one. I mean NFL linemen have 30 - 35% body fat at sub-300 lbs, and you're saying you have an extra 100 lbs on them with the same body composition? Nope. If you did, then you'd have no reason not to be playing and making millions.
Especially since you said that most of your fat is in your gut and butt, I can tell just from looking at your chest and arms that you're at least 40%, could be higher.


Oh boy, where to start...
First off I have a large thick frame, yes my some of my joints are trashed, but that isn't due to my weight, it was due to my younger times of going too much too fast in weight lifting, and not caring about the pains the body was telling me. Ever hear cartilage shred up in a gym? I can tell you, it is very audible. Are they so far gone I cannot lift anymore? No, just means I cannot go the extremes I did without proper supports.

Secondly, yes I do know what 27%-30% looks like. I look in the mirror. I also measure my fat % with my doctor in a water displacement every 6 months, you know, one of the most accurate ways of getting a measurement? The fat calipers are not recommended for the obese or the extremely thin. As for your visual judgement, arms are in no way a good indicator of fat %, nor is the chest. People's bodies deposit fat differently.

Thirdly, people have different skeleton frames. Small frame, medium frame, and large frame. And each of those frames have varying amount of thickness. Each of those frames can maintain a different amount of body weight, larger the build, the more they can maintain and be healthy, the thicker the frame, the higher the maximum is. Granted being heavy does change your bone density a little bit.
One method of finding your frame size is by wrist sizing. Wrap a measuring tape over your wrist, and compare it to the skeleton frame size chart. I myself have a 9.5" wrist.

Quadly, just because somebody out weighs, or out strengths some NFL linemen doesn't mean they are a shoe in to making millions, there is a whole shit load of things that need to happen before a player can obtain those million dollar contracts.

Quintly, you claim to not being rude, but are in fact being rude. You have half information, and are making assumptions based on that half information. I really do suggest in actually educating yourself on the subject matter some more. This subject isn't as simple as a simple input output calculator, there are many factors involved. Some factors can be deadly if not accounted for before starting a weight loss regime.

I should point out, shows like biggest loser promote one of the most dangerous ways of losing weight. It promotes high impact, high burst, and high stress forms of losing weight. So much so that they filter out applications who have even the slightest hint of heart problems, and also have the contestants who make it past the first filter to sign a waiver that in a nut shell says that any injury, including death, the studio will not be held liable.
16121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / cheesecakes
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

Delitist wrote:


ciciAzn wrote:

Tbh, I really used to think people who are not thin to be lazy. And that they shouldn't complain when people call them fat because I thought it's their own fault that they turn out that way. While I still think they shouldn't be offended to be called fat (since it's a fact) I dislike people who put them down just because of that.
I admit I can be pretty mean to them since most chubbypeople I've met are short tempered and harsh (I once got my head slammed onto the wall by one of them but I think I deserved it).

Asides from my personal rant I don't really know what I think about it but to feel sorry..


Wait a second. That could just as easily be reworded as "Most chubby people I've met are short tempered and harsh since I admit I can be pretty mean to them". If you walk up to someone and call them "tubby" without being prompted or anything, why are you surprised when they react poorly? Now getting your head slammed into the wall is a different story, but apparently you think you deserved that, so maybe your comment/action warranted it?

As far as that Tumblr blog goes, I think it's really stupid. Yes, overweight people get made fun of sometimes, and that's awful (and that whole "it's a matter of choice" argument crap. Yes, that may be true, but a girl that has short hair is usually a matter of choice too etc. Doesn't mean anyone should be made fun of for it). But this whole "thin privilege" thing is stupid and overblown.

Just let everyone be. There are skinny folk, fat folk, tall folk, short folk. That's that.


Well, like I said I was more narrow minded than I am now. So I judged them but since I don't feel comfortable being mean without a reason, I was still friends with them, at least until I pretty much crossed the line and received the punishment right away.

I was just trying to tell that they're intimidating because they're stronger. And I think they know that so they resort to violence more quickly than any other people that I've encountered.

As for short tempered part I'm not sure if I chose the right word, I was mostly referring to them getting offended being called fat.
I didn't get mad at them when they called me stupid because I ranked last in my class,if it's a fact we all should learn to accept it.
3201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 10/13/13
Can someone please point a post in the tumblr where thin people are attacked simply for being thin?

Because this seems like something people are assuming rather than actually observing.

Noting that thin people are treated better in society =/= attacking them for being thin.
33337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

justapersonwatchinganime wrote:

Can someone please point a post in the tumblr where thin people are attacked simply for being thin?

Because this seems like something people are assuming rather than actually observing.

Noting that thin people are treated better in society =/= attacking them for being thin.


I just saw the other day an absolutely gorgeous model who's quite thin and small-framed being attacked on instagram.
"You look like a sick kid."
"Disgusting."
"Go put some weight on."
etc., the comments said.

I think she's beautiful, and that these people are simply jealous. I'll note that her bones don't even stick out, but I don't know how much her photos are retouched.
Sogno- 
45646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/13/13
yeah i've been UNDERweight all my life and i don't consider it a privilege?? Like, I've actually had problems too, just like overweight people??

we've all got problems, it's really difficult for me to gain weight like it is for overweight people to lose it. to judge someone no matter their weight is just lame.
3201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 10/13/13 , edited 10/13/13

neumaus wrote:


justapersonwatchinganime wrote:

Can someone please point a post in the tumblr where thin people are attacked simply for being thin?

Because this seems like something people are assuming rather than actually observing.

Noting that thin people are treated better in society =/= attacking them for being thin.


I just saw the other day an absolutely gorgeous model who's quite thin and small-framed being attacked on instagram.
"You look like a sick kid."
"Disgusting."
"Go put some weight on."
etc., the comments said.

I think she's beautiful, and that these people are simply jealous. I'll note that her bones don't even stick out, but I don't know how much her photos are retouched.


I was talking about the tumblr, not instagram.

There's no doubt that thin people are sometimes insulted, ridiculed and other cruel things. But the point of "thin privilege" is to point out that thin people still are generally perceived better about their weight than bigger people in many societies. That does NOT mean that the concept of thin privilege denies that thin people have problems related and not related to their weight.

What I see here is this thread are people assuming that pointing out that thin people have more social advantages to their weight than bigger people is the same thing as insulting them. No, it's not an insult. It's a fact in many societies.
What people should learn from the concept of thin privilege is that bigger people are disadvantaged due to their weight and that is wrong, not that thin people have somehow become victims from pointing out that they have a special privilege over bigger people.
33337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 10/13/13


Tumblr, instagram-- it doesn't really make a difference.
But I guess I misunderstood, as I do agree that thin people generally have it better on a whole. For example, it's no secret that a thin woman is more likely to be hired than a woman larger than her (even if said woman is not even fat); often times, ability is considered second to appearance, sad as it may be.
There are many, many other examples, but you know, it bothers me that when someone points something like this out, people automatically accuse them of being jealous or ugly
I seriously admire very thin women, and that's why I follow so many on instagram, but pointing out that thin people have more benefits doesn't make me a hater...and yes, I am also well-aware that most of those thin people put in a lot of effort to be that way! I put in effort to gain back reward, and it isn't easy to put in effort.
Nmason 
34046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/13/13


Oh boy, where to start...
First off I have a large thick frame, yes my some of my joints are trashed, but that isn't due to my weight, it was due to my younger times of going too much too fast in weight lifting, and not caring about the pains the body was telling me. Ever hear cartilage shred up in a gym? I can tell you, it is very audible. Are they so far gone I cannot lift anymore? No, just means I cannot go the extremes I did without proper supports.

Secondly, yes I do know what 27%-30% looks like. I look in the mirror. I also measure my fat % with my doctor in a water displacement every 6 months, you know, one of the most accurate ways of getting a measurement? The fat calipers are not recommended for the obese or the extremely thin. As for your visual judgement, arms are in no way a good indicator of fat %, nor is the chest. People's bodies deposit fat differently.

Thirdly, people have different skeleton frames. Small frame, medium frame, and large frame. And each of those frames have varying amount of thickness. Each of those frames can maintain a different amount of body weight, larger the build, the more they can maintain and be healthy, the thicker the frame, the higher the maximum is. Granted being heavy does change your bone density a little bit.
One method of finding your frame size is by wrist sizing. Wrap a measuring tape over your wrist, and compare it to the skeleton frame size chart. I myself have a 9.5" wrist.

Quadly, just because somebody out weighs, or out strengths some NFL linemen doesn't mean they are a shoe in to making millions, there is a whole shit load of things that need to happen before a player can obtain those million dollar contracts.

Quintly, you claim to not being rude, but are in fact being rude. You have half information, and are making assumptions based on that half information. I really do suggest in actually educating yourself on the subject matter some more. This subject isn't as simple as a simple input output calculator, there are many factors involved. Some factors can be deadly if not accounted for before starting a weight loss regime.

I should point out, shows like biggest loser promote one of the most dangerous ways of losing weight. It promotes high impact, high burst, and high stress forms of losing weight. So much so that they filter out applications who have even the slightest hint of heart problems, and also have the contestants who make it past the first filter to sign a waiver that in a nut shell says that any injury, including death, the studio will not be held liable.


If I'm the one with half information how come I'm not the fat one here? Doesn't seem to add up.

You're in denial about your health and fitness, or you think strength is equal to fitness, either way you're wrong. In one of your earlier posts you said you would be about 280 lbs with 0% body fat.
Ok so Ronnie Coleman won Mr. Olympia in 2005, weighing around 295 at about 3 - 4% body fat, and you think you're equal to or bigger than him in lean mass? Lol! It's not even worth arguing anymore. You're fat, but you think you're a bodybuilder, and it's pointless to argue with someone in denial.
Here's a picture of what you look like under all that fat according to you:


Protip: Fat people shouldn't try to preach about health.
Enjoy living in denial and dying of a heart attack.
75053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/13/13
Where the hell is MY privilege?

I am 2% body fat.

I am 60 meters tall.

I am a titan.

44366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 10/13/13 , edited 10/13/13

Nmason wrote:

If I'm the one with half information how come I'm not the fat one here? Doesn't seem to add up.

You're in denial about your health and fitness, or you think strength is equal to fitness, either way you're wrong. In one of your earlier posts you said you would be about 280 lbs with 0% body fat.
Ok so Ronnie Coleman won Mr. Olympia in 2005, weighing around 295 at about 3 - 4% body fat, and you think you're equal to or bigger than him in lean mass? Lol! It's not even worth arguing anymore. You're fat, but you think you're a bodybuilder, and it's pointless to argue with someone in denial.
Here's a picture of what you look like under all that fat according to you:


Protip: Fat people shouldn't try to preach about health.
Enjoy living in denial and dying of a heart attack.


The amount of ignorance in this post alone is staggering.
Glad to know that calling you out on your lack of info, you turned to personal attacks. Bravo. *clap* *clap* *clap*


ThePinkRanger wrote:

Where the hell is MY privilege?

I am 2% body fat.

I am 60 meters tall.

I am a titan.

60 meter tall privilege: Able to see the sun set and sun rise as many times as he wants in the morning or afternoon.
Able to run much longer distances in the same amount of strides that of a sub 3 meter humans.
and best of all, can legitimately claim to have the biggest balls and one eye'd gopher at the bar.
163 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / NYC
Offline
Posted 10/13/13
My 2 cents--
Weight has always been a touchy issue for a lot of people.
To be honest I think the origin for this sensitivity is how ever since we were younger we had always been compared to others. The people in our lives -- teachers, family members, etc-- who conditioned us to the idea of comparing ourselves when we were younger are a part of the problem.

For whatever reason the preconceived idea of beauty doesn't seem to include someone who is a size 22. But every day so many people break the stereotype of what is considered 'beautiful' and they don't let their weight get in the way. Blaming skinny people for having it 'easier' won't make the person who is dissatisfied with his or her life any better off than he or she was before. I think the whole 'weight' issue is always blown out of proportion.
But that's just me....
Nmason 
34046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/13/13


The amount of ignorance in this post alone is staggering.
Glad to know that calling you out on your lack of info, you turned to personal attacks. Bravo. *clap* *clap* *clap* :lol:


It's not personal attacks, it's just a harsh truth. You tried to call me out on a lack of info, when there is no lack of info. In fact if anyone is lacking info it's definitely you. You have no idea what you're talking about, or you wouldn't be anywhere near 400 lbs. No one should be taking advise from someone that's severely obese.
If you think the amount of ignorance is my post is staggering, then explain exactly what's wrong with sources to back it up.

And in response to the biggest loser part of your post, any show would have waivers to be signed regardless of what they're doing. Morbidly obese people have a higher risk of injury or death than others, so it would only make sense to cover themselves from liability.
Plus you can lose weight just laying in bed all day if you eat under your maintenance, although you'd lose a little more muscle along with that fat than you would otherwise. So it really is as simple as input/output.

You should try it, use myfitnesspal's website or app, or if you want to be super serious about it check with a dietitian and find your maintenance calories. Then, eat whatever you want as long as you can accurately keep track of calories, and stay at a deficit. You'll lose weight, 100% guaranteed.

You can try to say that you're fit and healthy at your weight, but it just won't be true no matter how hard you argue. Instead of fighting it out, just accept it and improve yourself. If more overweight people would see how unhealthy their weight actually is then maybe they'd be driven to make improvements.
44366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alaska
Offline
Posted 10/13/13

Nmason wrote:



The amount of ignorance in this post alone is staggering.
Glad to know that calling you out on your lack of info, you turned to personal attacks. Bravo. *clap* *clap* *clap* :lol:


It's not personal attacks, it's just a harsh truth. You tried to call me out on a lack of info, when there is no lack of info. In fact if anyone is lacking info it's definitely you. You have no idea what you're talking about, or you wouldn't be anywhere near 400 lbs. No one should be taking advise from someone that's severely obese.
If you think the amount of ignorance is my post is staggering, then explain exactly what's wrong with sources to back it up.

And in response to the biggest loser part of your post, any show would have waivers to be signed regardless of what they're doing. Morbidly obese people have a higher risk of injury or death than others, so it would only make sense to cover themselves from liability.
Plus you can lose weight just laying in bed all day if you eat under your maintenance, although you'd lose a little more muscle along with that fat than you would otherwise. So it really is as simple as input/output.

You should try it, use myfitnesspal's website or app, or if you want to be super serious about it check with a dietitian and find your maintenance calories. Then, eat whatever you want as long as you can accurately keep track of calories, and stay at a deficit. You'll lose weight, 100% guaranteed.

You can try to say that you're fit and healthy at your weight, but it just won't be true no matter how hard you argue. Instead of fighting it out, just accept it and improve yourself. If more overweight people would see how unhealthy their weight actually is then maybe they'd be driven to make improvements.


Just to start you off.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23491523
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-008-1038-4/fulltext.html
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-008-1077-x/fulltext.html
http://www.cardiology.org/projects_heart_6_30440359.pdf
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/the-healthy-obese-and-their-healthy-fat-cells/?_r=0
http://www.obesitymyths.com/downloads/ObesityMyths.pdf
The last one is full of references to go through.

Of course, I highly doubt you will actually take the time to read any of these. But who knows, you might prove me wrong here.
Nmason 
34046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/13/13


Just to start you off.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23491523
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-008-1038-4/fulltext.html
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-008-1077-x/fulltext.html
http://www.cardiology.org/projects_heart_6_30440359.pdf
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/the-healthy-obese-and-their-healthy-fat-cells/?_r=0
http://www.obesitymyths.com/downloads/ObesityMyths.pdf
The last one is full of references to go through.

Of course, I highly doubt you will actually take the time to read any of these. But who knows, you might prove me wrong here.


I read them, and found them pretty interesting. There are some issues though.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23491523

The conclusions in this study state that being healthy and obese is a transient state for a third of the subjects, so a third of them don't stay metabolically healthy. It also says that maintaining metabolic health while being obese was related to younger ages.

In the results of the study it says "Compared with metabolically healthy normal-weight subjects the MHO were more likely to develop metabolic risk and incident diabetes but not CVD/stroke during 5.5-10.3 years of follow-up."
So the obese were still more likely to have metabolic risk and diabetes, just not cardiovascular disease or a stroke, and that's only 5 - 10 years after. More complications are likely to set in the longer you remain obese.

The results also say "Sustained metabolic health in obese participants was associated with age ≤ 40 years and lower waist circumference."
So having a smaller waist and being younger is what helps them stay metabolically healthy. So not being more fat, and not being fat when you're over 40 is what keeps some of them metabolically healthy. I would take this to mean that being obese later in life would make them decline in metabolic health.

Also, it just says obese, and not morbidly or severely obese so we have no way of telling if these subjects are just barely making it into the obese category or if they're huge. Not knocking you for linking this one, just saying it should be more clear on that matter.


http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-008-1038-4/fulltext.html

I read this one too but I found it sort of an odd choice to link.

"It should be noted that our findings are limited to a small population of sedentary obese postmenopausal women without type 2 diabetes."
This one just studies a bunch of obese sedentary postmenopausal women.

"The tendency to treat obese individuals with a ‘one size fits all’ approach may be counterproductive in the MHO individual if the goal is to improve insulin sensitivity."
It only talks about improving insulin sensitivity, and the whole experiment wasn't about obese vs normal or fit. It was obese vs obese, just one was the metabolically healthy obese, and one was an 'at-risk' obese person. The results may have been quite different if it was compared with normal weight, healthy people that weren't sedentary.


http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-008-1077-x/fulltext.html

This one is very similar to the last one, in that it only studies obese postmenopausal women.The goal of this one is only to find out a better strategy to treat obese women that are insulin resistant.


http://www.cardiology.org/projects_heart_6_30440359.pdf

"Compared with normal weight subjects, obese subjects were younger, had higher incidences of hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, and diabetes and a lower prevalence of "high" fitness."

That's straight from the results of that study.

In the conclusion it says that "obesity can confer survival benefits in certain conditions".
So this is only in certain conditions, and only for the old (average age 58) guys they studied. It's not about every fat guy walking around town.

The conclusion also says "A combination of factors such as self-selection, meeting recruitment standards for and maintaining physical fitness during military service, obesity in later life, and even psychosocial factors might explain this phenomenon."

So it says that they think this occurs because they were so fit and maintained such good health at a young age, and only got fat later in life, along with who knows what psychosocial factors, causes this paradox.
The entire thing studied only old people, and didn't mention anything about positive effects of obesity at a young age. They were saying their findings may have to do with their high level of fitness during their youth.



http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/the-healthy-obese-and-their-healthy-fat-cells/?_r=1

"It is clear that obesity is tightly linked to a host of chronic illnesses, among them heart disease, hypertension and Type 2 diabetes."

"Metabolically healthy obesity is found more frequently among younger adults"

"There is growing evidence that it may be a transition state, and that if followed long enough, some, if not many, people in this category will eventually develop the expected metabolic disturbances."

“We found that about a third of these people progressed down the road to being metabolically unhealthy,” said Sarah Appleton, a research fellow at the University of Adelaide. “Metabolically healthy obesity may essentially be a transient state.”



http://www.obesitymyths.com/downloads/ObesityMyths.pdf

"While extreme obesity remains a genuine health risk, this report documents the extent to which many researchers and academics are actively questioning obesity hype."

"This report is by no means intended to dismiss the genuine health risks of obesity for the heaviest individuals."

After that it goes on to talk about BMI and how it's stupid, which it is. It talks about how a BMI calculator would count professional bodybuilders like Arnold Schwarzenegger as obese, which is true. BMI doesn't take muscle into consideration, but pretty much everyone knows that. Anyone who uses a BMI scale for everything doesn't know what they're talking about.




So what I was talking about in regards to sources to begin with was when you said my post was full of ignorance. These articles are all on the general subject at hand, but I meant specifically when I was comparing your body composition to Ronnie Coleman. You said it was ignorant but you did the math yourself and you put yourself right around his amount of lean mass, if not a little more.
You said my post was full of ignorance but didn't point anything out or explain why it was wrong, or give any reply to it really.



First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.